ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. Joe Biden, 1991: “Had Thomas been white, he never would have been nominated. The only reason he’s on the court is because he’s black.”

YouSayPotato

True Freshman
Jun 4, 2021

Can Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson Face Joe Biden’s Words From 1991?​

Sen. Biden brought up race to demean the qualifications of Judge Clarence Thomas.​

Wall Street Journal March 23, 2022 12:12 pm ET

im-510309

Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson at her Supreme Court confirmation hearing on Capitol Hill, March 23.​

PHOTO: SAUL LOEB/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES

Regarding Jason Riley’s “What Kind of Justice Will We Get With Ketanji Brown Jackson?” (Upward Mobility, March 9): My fervent hope for Judge Jackson’s confirmation hearing is that Republicans will read President Biden’s words from 1991 on the qualifications of Justice Clarence Thomas. Then-Sen. Biden said, “Had Thomas been white, he never would have been nominated. The only reason he’s on the court is because he’s black.”

Republicans should let Ms. Jackson know that they have no intention of making the same demeaning statement. But they should also ask Judge Jackson what she thinks of those words, coming from the guy who nominated her to the Supreme Court. It would be enlightening to hear what she has to say.

That is true that if Clarence Thomas would not have been black he would not have been nominated. Remember, black justice, Thurgood Marshall died. Therefore, they needed a black justice to replace him.

That is true that if Clarence Thomas would not have been black he would not have been nominated. Remember, black justice, Thurgood Marshall died. Therefore, they needed a black justice to replace him.
So you don't understand the duplicity of Senator Joe Biden criticizing a SC nomination because he was selected by skin color and President Joe Biden nominating a SC justice because of her skin color?

So you don't understand the duplicity of Senator Joe Biden criticizing a SC nomination because he was selected by skin color and President Joe Biden nominating a SC justice because of her skin color?
If it was a criticism, Biden was certainly playing politics like they all do. When Clarence Thomas called the hearings “A high tech lynching”, I believe Biden got frightened. Did not want to be considered a racist, while putting Anita Hill under the bus tracked the hearings. Went to a vote and was, unfortunately for black people, confirmed.

If it was a criticism, Biden was certainly playing politics like they all do. When Clarence Thomas called the hearings “A high tech lynching”, I believe Biden got frightened. Did not want to be considered a racist, while putting Anita Hill under the bus tracked the hearings. Went to a vote and was, unfortunately for black people, confirmed.
You're very good at double think.

Reactions: bonefish1
Biden has always been racist. Always.

Thomas is a Tom to you isn't he. No matter that he was more qualified than Biden's first nominee.
If you read the book, "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe, Thomas is no Tom. Can't say what he really is anymore which are the other 2 characters in the book. I'll say that he is a black traitor.

How is Thomas more qualified? Thomas went to Yale. Jackson-Brown went to Harvard. They both served in the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Just admit it. Like the rest of you right wingers. Y'all don't like black women. you under-estimate and under-value, and marginalized them at every chance you get.

If you read the book, "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe, Thomas is no Tom. Can't say what he really is anymore which are the other 2 characters in the book. I'll say that he is a black traitor.

How is Thomas more qualified? Thomas went to Yale. Jackson-Brown went to Harvard. They both served in the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Just admit it. Like the rest of you right wingers. Y'all don't like black women. you under-estimate and under-value, and marginalized them at every chance you get.
Wow....you might need some stronger meds. I like black women just fine and I do not under-estimate and under-value, and marginalized them at every chance you get.

Reactions: Crayfish57

So because he isn't a character in your book, he is a black traitor. So a Supreme Court Judge shouldn't rule on merits but only on basis of race?

Wow....you might need some stronger meds. I like black women just fine and I do not under-estimate and under-value, and marginalized them at every chance you get.
Then how is Jackson-Brown not as qualified as Thomas when they have very similar credentials?

So because he isn't a character in your book, he is a black traitor. So a Supreme Court Judge shouldn't rule on merits but only on basis of race?
I have a problem with a black man that rules against affirmative action. Given the fact that affirmative action is how he and several other black men including Dr. Ben Carson and Dr. Henry Louis Gates got into Yale.

I have a problem with a black man that rules against affirmative action. Given the fact that affirmative action is how he and several other black men including Dr. Ben Carson and Dr. Henry Louis Gates got into Yale.
To enlighten you, affirmative action within it's boundaries is indeed racist in itself. It's purely a racist bit of legislation to include those who can't qualify on their own. I would think you would prefer the best and brightest be admitted first.

To enlighten you, affirmative action within it's boundaries is indeed racist in itself. It's purely a racist bit of legislation to include those who can't qualify on their own. I would think you would prefer the best and brightest be admitted first.
To enlighten you, white women have benefitted from affirmative action more than anyone. Y’all don’t have any problems with that.

Perhaps some entities take it further but affirmative action is only suppose to allow equal opportunity for a job or education. Not just let anyone in regardless of qualifications. If y’all feel that it is racist, welcome to the club. Where were white people during Jim Crow when unqualified whites were getting jobs and education over qualified blacks. Now you call racism when blacks and others get chosen instead of whites. Now you know how it feels. We had to deal with this for 400 years in this country. During WWII, German POW’s got treated better than black OFFICERS in the US military.

If whites in the US didn’t treat people so bad, historically we wouldn’t need affirmative action or quotas.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
To enlighten you, white women have benefitted from affirmative action more than anyone. Y’all don’t have any problems with that.

Perhaps some entities take it further but affirmative action is only suppose to allow equal opportunity for a job or education. Not just let anyone in regardless of qualifications. If y’all feel that it is racist, welcome to the club. Where were white people during Jim Crow when unqualified whites were getting jobs and education over qualified blacks. Now you call racism when blacks and others get chosen instead of whites. Now you know how it feels. We had to deal with this for 400 years in this country. During WWII, German POW’s got treated better than black OFFICERS in the US military.

If whites in the US didn’t treat people so bad, historically we wouldn’t need affirmative action or quotas.
“Now you know how it feels”. You are the biggest racist on this board.

Y'all , Y'aaalllll , Y'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

“Now you know how it feels”. You are the biggest racist on this board.
No sir. I'm not racist and my statement is not racist. I'm just pointing out how now you guys are complaining that affirmative action is racist. That is basically how the old saying goes, "the chickens have come home to roost".

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
It's always about race, isn't it. So, just because 2 people share the same skin color, they should think the same?

All blacks should vote Democrat, correct? (and if you're black and vote Republican, you're a race traitor).

It's always about race, isn't it. So, just because 2 people share the same skin color, they should think the same?

All blacks should vote Democrat, correct? (and if you're black and vote Republican, you're a race traitor).
We've gone through this over and over. You can be black and conservative all you want. But when comes to race and black issues, we all have to be on board.

I'll even give credit when credit is due. Sen. Tim Scott voted for the Emmett Till Anti-Lynching Bill that was recently signed into law.

• Haha
We've gone through this over and over. You can be black and conservative all you want. But when comes to race and black issues, we all have to be on board.

I'll even give credit when credit is due. Sen. Tim Scott voted for the Emmett Till Anti-Lynching Bill that was recently signed into law.
So you just said it .........You are a racist. How do you feel about a person of Asian descent on the Supreme court . What do Yaaaalllllll think about that? You make yourself up to get what you get. Uncle Remus was better than you are. Zippitty do duh, zippitty ah. zippiitty do dah zippittty day!

So you just said it .........You are a racist. How do you feel about a person of Asian descent on the Supreme court . What do Yaaaalllllll think about that? You make yourself up to get what you get. Uncle Remus was better than you are. Zippitty do duh, zippitty ah. zippiitty do dah zippittty day!
I have problems with an Asian on the Supreme Court. Why would I?

Last edited:

So, should all white people be onboard with issues that impact white people?

Why can't 2 black people think independently on issues of race?

You think a black African immigrant who's come to America and experienced the American dream is going to buy into the victimhood excuses of why inner city blacks can't figure out the problems in their own society?

You think a black African immigrant who's come to America and experienced the American dream is going to buy into the victimhood excuses of why inner city blacks can't figure out the problems in their own society?
That's why a large number of blacks that immigrate to the US don't vote Democrat.

Reactions: SKYDOG
That's why a large number of blacks that immigrate to the US don't vote Democrat.
Yeh, but if you listen to BNI, he believes all blacks should think alike, vote alike, all because of skin color (but then he'll single out black African immigrants who have become successful because they haven't been conditioned growing up in the racist USofA).

If they a passed law that whites people have to count the number of jelly beans in a jar in order to vote, you better believe white people should be together for any outrage. Then if there is one white traitor that goes on the talk shows and says that is ok, you can’t tell me you would go for that.

If they a passed law that whites people have to count the number of jelly beans in a jar in order to vote, you better believe white people should be together for any outrage. Then if there is one white traitor that goes on the talk shows and says that is ok, you can’t tell me you would go for that.
When was the last time the jelly bean test was used? Late 1800's.

But you still didn't answer the question. Why should all black people think alike?

When was the last time the jelly bean test was used? Late 1800's.

But you still didn't answer the question. Why should all black people think alike?
Does it matter when the jelly bean test was? Along with poll taxes, counting bubbles in a bar of soap, literacy tests well into the 1900’s.

I answered the question several times because you keep asking it. Everyday issues no. Race discrimination, yes.

What about my question? If they made a law that white people had to count jelly beans in a jar to vote or sit in the back of the bus, should whites people collectively be outraged. Then if a white goes on TV and says that is fine, wouldn’t you be upset with him?

Does it matter when the jelly bean test was? Along with poll taxes, counting bubbles in a bar of soap, literacy tests well into the 1900’s. If they made a law that white people had to count jelly beans in a jar to vote or sit in the back of the bus, should whites people collectively be outraged.
You are using ancient history to justify reverse racism today. Yes, there was Jim Crow and poll taxes and sitting in the back of the bus, all 50+ years ago. None of that happens today and the foremost racism that is written into law is Affirmative Action against whites and Asians.

Does it matter when the jelly bean test was? Along with poll taxes, counting bubbles in a bar of soap, literacy tests well into the 1900’s.

I answered the question several times because you keep asking it. Everyday issues no. Race discrimination, yes.

What about my question? If they made a law that white people had to count jelly beans in a jar to vote or sit in the back of the bus, should whites people collectively be outraged. Then if a white goes on TV and says that is fine, wouldn’t you be upset with him?
No, it wouldn't bother me because you have to get past things that happened 100 years ago.
What might have happened in the 1800s or early 1900s have zero impact on anything happening to black folks today. None whatsoever.

No, it wouldn't bother me because you have to get past things that happened 100 years ago.
What might have happened in the 1800s or early 1900s have zero impact on anything happening to black folks today. None whatsoever.
I see you refuse to answer the question. You and Potato then deflect that all this happened years ago. The gist of our discussion was that whether blacks should think alike. I said no when it comes to race relations. That is when I brought up this hypothetical that seems to hang y'all up. I know it is a hard question because you may not be able to process the hypothetical scenario of white people having to count jelly beans or sitting in the back of the bus. When all that happened is NOT the focus of the question. The focus is that if that happened to white people should all white people be on the same page and denounce and fight against having to count jelly beans in order to vote. Therefore, please answer the question if you can.

On a side note, you also do not seem to understand, and this is with all people not just blacks, is that the decisions of our ancestors and/or situations our ancestors were put in has a major effect of who we are today, where we live etc. I do not know where you reside but you live there because of a decision or situation someone in your ancestry made or was placed in 20, 30. 100 years or earlier. You keep bringing up the unwed mother situation in these cities. Well that situation is going affect their descendants for generations.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
The gist of our discussion was that whether blacks should think alike.
No, the gist of our discussion is that you try to justify today's reverse discrimination against whites and blacks with the various acts of discrimination against blacks long ago. It's like saying that we should stop importing Mecerdes-Benz and Toyota cars because of what the Nazis and Japs did in WWII.

No, the gist of our discussion is that you try to justify today's reverse discrimination against whites and blacks with the various acts of discrimination against blacks long ago. It's like saying that we should stop importing Mecerdes-Benz and Toyota cars because of what the Nazis and Japs did in WWII.
Nope, that was the gist of the side discussion Bonefish brought up. Then I countered, hypothetically that if whites were discriminated, should they together as a group denounce the racism. Then denounce so called traitors. You guys are so hell bent that that is no racism that you missed the entire point.

Nope, that was the gist of the side discussion Bonefish brought up. Then I countered, hypothetically that if whites were discriminated, should they together as a group denounce the racism. Then denounce so called traitors. You guys are so hell bent that that is no racism that you missed the entire point.
I'm sure you're aware of the discrimination faced by Catholics, Irish, Jews, and more recently, Asians in this country.
When it comes to religion, should all Catholics think alike? For example, should every Catholic be pro-life?

I'm sure you're aware of the discrimination faced by Catholics, Irish, Jews, and more recently, Asians in this country.
When it comes to religion, should all Catholics think alike? For example, should every Catholic be pro-life?
Of course, I'm aware of all of all of that. What does that have to do with the question I posed that you still seem to have a difficult time answering?

Yeah, all Catholics should think a like for pro-life, particularly since the church doctrine is pro-life then they all should be for pro-life. What is the point of being Catholic, or any other religion that you are a member for that matter, if you are not going to follow the church doctrine?

Of course, I'm aware of all of all of that. What does that have to do with the question I posed that you still seem to have a difficult time answering?

Yeah, all Catholics should think a like for pro-life, particularly since the church doctrine is pro-life then they all should be for pro-life. What is the point of being Catholic, or any other religion that you are a member for that matter, if you are not going to follow the church doctrine?
What's the point of being black if you're not going to think and take sides with everyone else who's black?

The same argument that a Catholic can make for being pro-choice is just like what a black person can make regarding slavery, voting integrity, etc.
Your issue is that you think all blacks should think the same. It doesn't work that way.

What's the point of being black if you're not going to think and take sides with everyone else who's black?

The same argument that a Catholic can make for being pro-choice is just like what a black person can make regarding slavery, voting integrity, etc.
Your issue is that you think all blacks should think the same. It doesn't work that way.
You are still not answering my question but that's ok.

So, you have no problems if a Jewish person said that the Holocaust was fake?

Since you don't or care about history, let me remind you before you answer, that is when the German Chancellor, Adolph Hitler ordered the extermination of 6 million Jews in the 1930's and 1940's.

ADVERTISEMENT