ADVERTISEMENT

Seeking common values

charlespig

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
With the impending move to a new site, I may not be around this political discussion group for much longer, or at least greatly reduce my participation (not that I spend a lot of time here anyway).

So I thought I might as well try something different. My observation is that this group has a lot of division, as people have clear "tribes." Whenever we get a piece of news that support our tribe (or make the other tribe looks bad), we giddily share them. On the flip side, we feel threatened when our "tribe" is attacked, especially when we see the attacker as evil and will bring down the country that we love.

Well, instead of doing another round of these attack / counter-attack, I do want to see where our common values lie. I am sure there gotta be some despite our differences. So here are my three questions to you, taken from the book Belonging:

1. What are your hopes and concerns for your family, community, and the country?
  2. What would your best friend say about who you are?
  3. What sense of purpose, mission, or duty guides you in your life?

• Love
Reactions: Do Dah Day
Here are my answers:

1. My hope for my family / community / country is to live in a place where we can enjoy our freedom and not in fear. We can pursue what excites us and share our thoughts and ideas freely. I wasn't born in this country, and the place where I was born, people now live in fear because they can be prosecuted for speaking against the government. I believe in our hearts, we all yearn for freedom, to be able to do whatever and say whatever that please us, as long as it doesn't hurt other people.

2. I think my best friend would say I am an inquisitive person. I want to know the truth, and I would go the distance to avoid being in an echo chamber. I want to engage with people who have a different belief, and argue passionately with them. Either I "win" the argument and know that my perspective is tested, or I "win" by learning a new perspective that I may have previously overlooked.

3. Admittedly I am really not good at this and probably fail miserably, but the mission I want to be guiding me is to bring love and kindness to this world. I believe in what I radiate out to the world will eventually find its way back to me, so I do want to send out loving kindness. I believe the vast majority of people are good, and collectively, we will all be happier and better off if we are kind to each other.

I know, I know, these are more like ideals that I haven't really lived up to, and may even be the narcissistic version on how I see myself. But when I sit back and reflect, these are the values that truly resonate with me. What's yours?

Reactions: PurdueFan1
Oh dang ok, thanks for the info
Yeah there were some posts on KHC a few weeks ago that were quickly deleted. Then I believe it was Brian who said they couldn’t talk about it? Kind of cryptic so we will see. i hadn’t seen the H&R angle so that makes it even more interesting if true.

With the impending move to a new site, I may not be around this political discussion group for much longer, or at least greatly reduce my participation (not that I spend a lot of time here anyway).

So I thought I might as well try something different. My observation is that this group has a lot of division, as people have clear "tribes." Whenever we get a piece of news that support our tribe (or make the other tribe looks bad), we giddily share them. On the flip side, we feel threatened when our "tribe" is attacked, especially when we see the attacker as evil and will bring down the country that we love.

Well, instead of doing another round of these attack / counter-attack, I do want to see where our common values lie. I am sure there gotta be some despite our differences. So here are my three questions to you, taken from the book Belonging:

1. What are your hopes and concerns for your family, community, and the country?

1. That they all worship and love Christ.

2. A Christian cowboy.

3. Jesus Christ.

• Haha
Reactions: PurdueFan1
So would I be breaking my promise and sign up when I said I was done with GBI nearly 2 years ago a let my subscription expire? Tic
It’s $1 for the 1st year. I just signed up today.

Reactions: BSIT
1. That they all worship and love Christ.

2. A Christian cowboy.

3. Jesus Christ.

Great, I have great respect for Jesus too. I especially like the ones where he manages to go beyond "an eye for an eye" but instead "turn the other cheek." I also like how he says whatever we did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters, whether to welcome the strangers or giving the naked clothes, we did it for him.

Do you find those teachings inspiring? Can you share some of his lessons that you've followed that you find it to be especially rewarding and fulfilling?

Reactions: indy35
Great, I have great respect for Jesus too. I especially like the ones where he manages to go beyond "an eye for an eye" but instead "turn the other cheek." I also like how he says whatever we did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters, whether to welcome the strangers or giving the naked clothes, we did it for him.

Do you find those teachings inspiring? Can you share some of his lessons that you've followed that you find it to be especially rewarding and fulfilling?

Last week a car ran out of gas down the road.....the story of the Samaritan came to mind, so I went & got gas, gave it to them for free....and told them the story & then said pass it on the good will to another.

I tell you this as I think when we use the teachings of Jesus, in everyday life it makes the world a better place. So I do that. The more that do the better for us all.

Reactions: charlespig
    1. Financial stability.
    2. Take responsibility for your action and don't blame others for your troubles.
    3. Punish criminals harshly
    1. Fiercely loyal
    2. Fun loving, spontaneous
    1. To be a good husband, father and provider

Reactions: charlespig
    1. Financial stability.
    2. Take responsibility for your action and don't blame others for your troubles.
    3. Punish criminals harshly
    1. Fiercely loyal
    2. Fun loving, spontaneous
    1. To be a good husband, father and provider

Thanks for sharing. I also agree with taking personal responsibility, and who doesn't want to be fun-loving. Being a good husband and father also resonates with me.

I am curious about the "provider" part. Can you please elaborate? Provide for whom? Your family? If everyone takes responsibility on their own, then outside of your children (assuming they are too young), there is not much of a need for you to be a provider, no? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Last week a car ran out of gas down the road.....the story of the Samaritan came to mind, so I went & got gas, gave it to them for free....and told them the story & then said pass it on the good will to another.

I tell you this as I think when we use the teachings of Jesus, in everyday life it makes the world a better place. So I do that. The more that do the better for us all.

Great, that's a beautiful story, thanks for sharing.

I can't help but wonder how you feel about those migrants who have to escape their war-torn country or crime-ridden communities, and flee to other countries. Would you mind sharing your perspective?

(To be clear, I have no strong opinion one way or another, but just curious about your perspective as a devote Christian)

Great, that's a beautiful story, thanks for sharing.

I can't help but wonder how you feel about those migrants who have to escape their war-torn country or crime-ridden communities, and flee to other countries. Would you mind sharing your perspective?

(To be clear, I have no strong opinion one way or another, but just curious about your perspective as a devote Christian)

I think the border should be closed. Too many drugs coming across and bad people enriching themselves @ the expense of victims of a bad system. Drug deaths, rapes, deaths in travel, etc. Not a user freindly system to the poor....very dangerous. Needs to be a better way.....

First, immigration limits should be drastically raised, -- even though we take MORE legal immigrants now than most any country in the world.

Second, our country should help pay to move unemployed to places of employment. If these are immigrants, fine, citizens fine...as local communities have needs to move them. Got to help poor succeed.

Third, immigrant criminals need moved out. No excuse for that.

Local community leaders can figure out ways to make things better in their communities. Govt can provide help for their initiatives....bottom up, not top down.

I think the border should be closed. Too many drugs coming across and bad people enriching themselves @ the expense of victims of a bad system. Drug deaths, rapes, deaths in travel, etc. Not a user freindly system to the poor....very dangerous. Needs to be a better way.....

First, immigration limits should be drastically raised, -- even though we take MORE legal immigrants now than most any country in the world.

Second, our country should help pay to move unemployed to places of employment. If these are immigrants, fine, citizens fine...as local communities have needs to move them. Got to help poor succeed.

Third, immigrant criminals need moved out. No excuse for that.

Local community leaders can figure out ways to make things better in their communities. Govt can provide help for their initiatives....bottom up, not top down.

Thank you for the response. I think these are good common grounds we can build off of when we are on the topic of immigration. No need to be finger-pointing and name-calling.

Now may I ask your opinion on the wall? Do you think it can make a meaningful difference in stopping illegal entry to justify the cost? Most of them actually come in legally through airports - they just overstay.

Thanks for sharing. I also agree with taking personal responsibility, and who doesn't want to be fun-loving. Being a good husband and father also resonates with me.

I am curious about the "provider" part. Can you please elaborate? Provide for whom? Your family? If everyone takes responsibility on their own, then outside of your children (assuming they are too young), there is not much of a need for you to be a provider, no? Or am I misunderstanding something?
By provider, I'm referring to my role as head of household, breadwinner, etc. My wife doesn't work, so I provide the income, insurance, etc.

Thank you for the response. I think these are good common grounds we can build off of when we are on the topic of immigration. No need to be finger-pointing and name-calling.

Now may I ask your opinion on the wall? Do you think it can make a meaningful difference in stopping illegal entry to justify the cost? Most of them actually come in legally through airports - they just overstay.

Yes.

Yes -- illegal immigration is a big problem. And yes, overstays account for the majority of that problem. Also a problem; our economy relies on illegals to function. I'm a big proponent of getting illegals into a system, even if they get caught red-handed, and getting them to pay some friggin income tax.

Such a low percentage of Americans pay any federal tax. Maybe Steve Forbes was right; a consumption tax instead of a reported income-based tax, anyone?

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT