ADVERTISEMENT

second viewing (long as ...)

Jun 1, 2019
Watched the game for second time, here’s what I think:

> Brohm gets it. He took one look v. Nevada, which you can’t do halfway through Nevada, and he realized that short passes are this teams run game, which he addressed after..

You could kinda see Brohm wanting to go into shut it down mode and then stopping himself and realizing that this team is not gonna pull that off.

> A fair viewing shows that vandy sold out on the run. They run a 3-4 but had their OLBs up on the line in a 5-2 look most of the time. A few times I counted six just at the line.

This seemed bizarre. It gave us the middle of the field. The thing if anyone goes back and watches, is that with hopkins and Moore playing the way they were, they needed depth from their front. There is one play where hopkins is lined up on the left with Moore slotted below him (3Q - the ref pick drive), each has a defender over him. Hopkins drags his man out and there’s no one to the inside of Moore, who gets hit with a pass and has plenty of room... gets a first.

> Sindelar, at least for one day, answered a huge question.

Can you give him receivers short and force him to make a touch throw on the money? Will he put to much on it? If vandy coaches were asking that, it was a resounding no, and that’s a problem for opposing defenses.

Back to the last point. To appropriately defend hopkins and Moore in the middle.. with Sindelar throwing the way he was, you have to bring defenders up and toward the middle, leaving less or no help on bell and Anderson and relying more on your DL to stop the run. When this happens, I think you see much easier runs for Horvath and Doerue. At least the ability to get 3 or 4 yards.

> not sure about any of you, but any time we face a QB who isn’t a quality passer, and a team can’t pass first to beat us, since about 2003, we play our best defense. Our linebackers, all three of them (and not just Bailey) haven’t been outstanding in coverage since 03, to me. I thought BSU had been turning out better college passers, so I expected way more from neal.

> Sindelar s success yesterday is the product of so many people. Moore and Hopkins being huge stars, the offensive line holding on for dear life in pass coverage to give him just enough time, Horvath being a tough tough kid. The rest of these backs and receivers working hard and growing each day. Says a lot that Sparks is grinding for those results continuously. Anderson plays with a real edge. Bell appears to grow up by the quarter. Durham’s size reminds me of that hockenson kid from Iowa. The coaches obviously .. everyone coming together and then Elijah showing that he’s learned something in these up and down years.

Last year we saw David Blough grow as the year went on. If this kid does the same, look out.

> Huge Huge Huge Huge to see this team hold their own at defensive tackle and grow by the quarter without a player like Lorenzo Neal. Can’t remember the last time a player that good was out and the next guy held their own.

I’m used to asking where a player like Lawrence Johnson is for another months or years after this point. For him to step in and hold his own is outstanding. Loved the hit on neal that led to the INT. IIRC, we were told that Sullivan would be a good player, but we might not see him till his 4th year.. here we are seeing him as a redshirt freshman.

If neal is out next week and he’s back for minnesota, it’s gonna be something I’ve never seen to have that many DTs who can play to rotate in behind neal and Watts.

> Glad Cornel Jones was back but that there isn’t the reliance on him that there was last year. If he was to act the same way, he probably realizes he’d just be out, so it was great to see his physicality without the extra stuff. Ben Holt didn’t show up on screen for any bad reasons, which was nice. Nice solid player.

> Major and Mackey being as good as they’ve been.. reminds me of last year when I said I’d cut a toe off to have anthony Brown and Brandon King as a tandem on last years team. Major to me was already pretty good. Dedrick Mackey has come a LONG way to play that well with a groin.

> Special teams was about the only area where we netted negative results yesterday. If Brohm wants to scream at someone in meetings, I hope Sindelar gets a pass and he goes in that room.

> this week I’ll be curious with TCUs nose tackle if they give the extra attention to Moore and Hopkins and dare us to run it.

> been outstanding to see Anderson and bell come in as the athletes that they are and play this well. Anderson to me has kind of hit the ground running as what people thought Sparks would be (and Sparks getting in there nicely yesterday) last year.

Bell is getting as open as Zico. His next step is to have a throw come his way like the one Watkins mugged him on and picked off on the penalty, and fight Watkins off to either get the P.I. or bring in a huge contested catch. It’s a lot to ask because that position can get more physical than the slot, but I think he’s up to the challenge. Kid has an aura like he knows what he wants to be in life and he’s gonna go take it. Like Moore, Graham and Karlaftis, Bell doesn’t have that freshman look to him.

> Wright is the biggest combo of size and speed at WR. I think now that Brohm has realized that we’ve reached that point where we can get outside receivers as wide open as Zico was getting last year, he’s gonna spring wright for a huge play very soon.

> finally, I predicted 34-28 vandy.. crow please.

I thought the TE would be full go but he was hampered. I expected more from neal and for their defense to adjust. Our guys decided to come out and swing for the face early and often. This took over two games last year. This year it was game two.

This team looks like a team that can beat teams I didn’t think they could, right now. We will see against TCU. They should be favored but I think we can win a close one

Oh and one more thing.. Moore to me is like if you put all the best of Taylor Stubblefield and Joey harris into one guy lol

Last edited:

> Brohm gets it. He took one look v. Nevada, which you can’t do halfway through Nevada, and he realized that short passes are this teams run game, which he addressed after..

You could kinda see Brohm wanting to go into shut it down mode and then stopping himself and realizing that this team is not gonna pull that off.

> A fair viewing shows that vandy sold out on the run. They run a 3-4 but had their OLBs up on the line in a 5-2 look most of the time. A few times I counted six just at the line.

This seemed bizarre. It gave us the middle of the field. The thing if anyone goes back and watches, is that with hopkins and Moore playing the way they were, they needed depth from their front. There is one play where hopkins is lined up on the left with Moore slotted below him (3Q - the ref pick drive), each has a defender over him. Hopkins drags his man out and there’s no one to the inside of Moore, who gets hit with a pass and has plenty of room... gets a first.

Can you give him receivers short and force him to make a touch throw on the money? Will he put to much on it? If vandy coaches were asking that, it was a resounding no, and that’s a problem for opposing defenses.

Back to the last point. To appropriately defend hopkins and Moore in the middle.. with Sindelar throwing the way he was, you have to bring defenders up and toward the middle, leaving less or no help on bell and Anderson and relying more on your DL to stop the run. When this happens, I think you see much easier runs for Horvath and Doerue. At least the ability to get 3 or 4 yards.

> not sure about any of you, but any time we face a QB who isn’t a quality passer, and a team can’t pass first to beat us, since about 2003, we play our best defense. Our linebackers, all three of them (and not just Bailey) haven’t been outstanding in coverage since 03, to me. I thought BSU had been turning out better college passers, so I expected way more from neal.

> Sindelar s success yesterday is the product of so many people. Moore and Hopkins being huge stars, the offensive line holding on for dear life in pass coverage to give him just enough time, Horvath being a tough tough kid. The rest of these backs and receivers working hard and growing each day. Says a lot that Sparks is grinding for those results continuously. Anderson plays with a real edge. Bell appears to grow up by the quarter. Durham’s size reminds me of that hockenson kid from Iowa. The coaches obviously .. everyone coming together and then Elijah showing that he’s learned something in these up and down years.

Last year we saw David Blough grow as the year went on. If this kid does the same, look out.

> Huge Huge Huge Huge to see this team hold their own at defensive tackle and grow by the quarter without a player like Lorenzo Neal. Can’t remember the last time a player that good was out and the next guy held their own.

I’m used to asking where a player like Lawrence Johnson is for another months or years after this point. For him to step in and hold his own is outstanding. Loved the hit on neal that led to the INT. IIRC, we were told that Sullivan would be a good player, but we might not see him till his 4th year.. here we are seeing him as a redshirt freshman.

If neal is out next week and he’s back for minnesota, it’s gonna be something I’ve never seen to have that many DTs who can play to rotate in behind neal and Watts.

> Glad Cornel Jones was back but that there isn’t the reliance on him that there was last year. If he was to act the same way, he probably realizes he’d just be out, so it was great to see his physicality without the extra stuff. Ben Holt didn’t show up on screen for any bad reasons, which was nice. Nice solid player.

> Major and Mackey being as good as they’ve been.. reminds me of last year when I said I’d cut a toe off to have anthony Brown and Brandon King as a tandem on last years team. Major to me was already pretty good. Dedrick Mackey has come a LONG way to play that well with a groin.

> Special teams was about the only area where we netted negative results yesterday. If Brohm wants to scream at someone in meetings, I hope Sindelar gets a pass and he goes in that room.

> this week I’ll be curious with TCUs nose tackle if they give the extra attention to Moore and Hopkins and dare us to run it.

> been outstanding to see Anderson and bell come in as the athletes that they are and play this well. Anderson to me has kind of hit the ground running as what people thought Sparks would be (and Sparks getting in there nicely yesterday) last year.

Bell is getting as open as Zico. His next step is to have a throw come his way like the one Watkins mugged him on and picked off on the penalty, and fight Watkins off to either get the P.I. or bring in a huge contested catch. It’s a lot to ask because that position can get more physical than the slot, but I think he’s up to the challenge. Kid has an aura like he knows what he wants to be in life and he’s gonna go take it. Like Moore, Graham and Karlaftis, Bell doesn’t have that freshman look to him.

> Wright is the biggest combo of size and speed at WR. I think now that Brohm has realized that we’ve reached that point where we can get outside receivers as wide open as Zico was getting last year, he’s gonna spring wright for a huge play very soon.

I thought the TE would be full go but he was hampered. I expected more from neal and for their defense to adjust. Our guys decided to come out and swing for the face early and often. This took over two games last year. This year it was game two.

This team looks like a team that can beat teams I didn’t think they could, right now. We will are against TCU. They should be favored but I think we can win a close one

Oh and one more thing.. Moore to me is like if you put all the best of Taylor Stubblefield and Joey harris into one guy lol

Really good analysis. I'm not sure why Sindelar is getting the criticism he is. You don't throw for 500 yards and 5 tds without making a couple of mistakes. If we keep turnovers to a minimum, we can beat TCU. We have the skill players to do it.

Really good analysis. I'm not sure why Sindelar is getting the criticism he is. You don't throw for 500 yards and 5 tds without making a couple of mistakes. If we keep turnovers to a minimum, we can beat TCU. We have the skill players to do it.

I’m convinced that this could be a kirsch v Orton thing ...

Poster loved Orton and hated kirsch so he loved Painter ... Years later he hated Hazel because some of those damn kirsch lovers hated hope.. fast forward to the present and he now loves blough and hopes Sindelar ends up as a Walmart greeter, because that will show those damn kirsch lovers who is boss.”

I’d love for someone to take those criticizing Sindelar yesterday and cross reference for positive predictions about Jared Sparks .. not because I dislike Jared Sparks, but because it would say a lot about their ability to evaluate f-ing anything lol.

I’m convinced that this could be a kirsch v Orton thing ...

Poster loved Orton and hated kirsch so he loved Painter ... Years later he hated Hazel because some of those damn kirsch lovers hated hope.. fast forward to the present and he now loves blough and hopes Sindelar ends up as a Walmart greeter, because that will show those damn kirsch lovers who is boss.”

I’d love for someone to take those criticizing Sindelar yesterday and cross reference for positive predictions about Jared Sparks .. not because I dislike Jared Sparks, but because it would say a lot about their ability to evaluate f-ing anything lol.
Yeah I don’t get that. I preferred Blough, but he gone so I like the guy we got now.

I'm not the biggest Eli backer, but what he has done is amazing because we have no running for the opposing team to fend, so he has done this knowing the D is going to tee off on the pass.

I'm not the biggest Eli backer, but what he has done is amazing because we have no running for the opposing team to fend, so he has done this knowing the D is going to tee off on the pass.

Actually I thought vandy was way too close to the line and daring him to hit open receivers on the move short ..

On their forum also, I thought it was super interesting that they were complaining that we’d get into our formation, see their look, out players would then look to the sideline and change it up.. and that their coaches never adjusted.

9/10 besides the dumb int and that hilarious fumble lining up over the wrong center.

Saying that I'm still not a fan but everyone has their opinions right or wrong.

Fan is short for fanatic and means quite literally that if they suck you don’t care, you still love them. You rated his performance appropriately.. whether you get a Sindelar poster for you room (paper, not one of us) is immaterial lol

Speaking of the bad snap (or bad reception of the snap), did they show a good replay of his throw and whether it got to the line of scrimmage or not? They originally called grounding and then changed it. It was pretty much right in front of me and I thought it was really close, but I also don't know how that rule works with out of bounds. It looked like Mason wanted to challenge it but couldn't? I'm not sure how it's not reviewable if that's in fact what happened.

Speaking of the bad snap (or bad reception of the snap), did they show a good replay of his throw and whether it got to the line of scrimmage or not? They originally called grounding and then changed it. It was pretty much right in front of me and I thought it was really close, but I also don't know how that rule works with out of bounds. It looked like Mason wanted to challenge it but couldn't? I'm not sure how it's not reviewable if that's in fact what happened.

The rule is that the LOS extends to the stands in grounding situations .. doesn’t matter where the ball goes out, matters where it lands and it landed beyond the LOS. No grounding

In Nevada, definitely grounding

The fumble that was almost a safety. He was lined up under the wrong lineman. Have you ever seen that before.
He represents the ‘P’ very well: excellent student who will probably excel as an engineer one day. Didn’t he graduate with honors and is already working on his Masters? All of that while recovering from several injuries and studying the highest level of college football.

The rule is that the LOS extends to the stands in grounding situations .. doesn’t matter where the ball goes out, matters where it lands and it landed beyond the LOS. No grounding​

Wait, for real? This doesn't smell right, but I can't say I've ever looked at a rulebook for this. For one thing, the bleachers aren't a consistent distance from the field at different stadiums/yard lines within a stadium.

This team looks like a team that can beat teams I didn’t think they could, right now. We will see against TCU. They should be favored but I think we can win a close one

Excellent analysis. Add to that Horvath has had a good set of hands to catch the ball on those short passes to get the ground gainers. When I saw that I had a big smile on my face. I think that's probably why he's getting more use than King right now (amongst other things).

And since you asked for it...

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/barbecued-black-crows/45aa4d96-e38f-442c-88cb-a768cc0347dc

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommaker
That's was really strange to me. Hadn't their DC had commented earlier in the week that the plan was to take away the run and make Purdue one dimensional? I almost wondered at the time if it was a bit of misinformation on their part. Why on Earth would you want to force your opponent to play to their strengths and do more of the things that they generally like doing?

Apparently they were sincere about that. Odd.

That's was really strange to me. Hadn't their DC had commented earlier in the week that the plan was to take away the run and make Purdue one dimensional? I almost wondered at the time if it was a bit of misinformation on their part. Why on Earth would you want to force your opponent to play to their strengths and do more of the things that they generally like doing?

Apparently they were sincere about that. Odd.

Someone put that on KC and I immediately replied “expect 6 at the line” lol

It was a bad coaching job.

You can get the TCU week one game in 30 minutes .. check out the first few drives .. they get up the field super fast but they let the Arkansas whatever the F back run right by them multiple times

They do have a running QB though and it’s been 16 years since we consistently played well against those

You can get the TCU week one game in 30 minutes .. check out the first few drives .. they get up the field super fast but they let the Arkansas whatever the F back run right by them multiple times

They do have a running QB though and it’s been 16 years since we consistently played well against those
1 word
Karlaftis

1 word
Karlaftis

I don’t know.. I’m a big of a Karlaftis fan as there is.. you need to run a guy like that down but you also need to not overpursue, you need your linebackers to tackle him AND you need them to cover. Bailey is great at that. In 03, Gardner, Johnson and Koutivides were all great at that

Maybe we will see a little bit more of Jones this week. He made some plays Saturday but it still seemed like he didn't have a ton of snaps. We went nickel a ton once again.

I don’t know.. I’m a big of a Karlaftis fan as there is.. you need to run a guy like that down but you also need to not overpursue, you need your linebackers to tackle him AND you need them to cover. Bailey is great at that. In 03, Gardner, Johnson and Koutivides were all great at that
IMO the last two games our QB pressure has been hampered by the absence of Neal. Having said that, this last game the interior guys did a fair amount better in creating that push; with whoever has been book-ending George doing a pretty nice job as well. Why I say he'll be a difference maker in a running QB is his pursuit speed. Way too many times the last 10 years we'be watched guys run after the QB and never get there; if GK gets a minimal amount of help from the rest of the D-line I think he will catch the rabbit.

IMO the last two games our QB pressure has been hampered by the absence of Neal. Having said that, this last game the interior guys did a fair amount better in creating that push; with whoever has been book-ending George doing a pretty nice job as well. Why I say he'll be a difference maker in a running QB is his pursuit speed. Way too many times the last 10 years we'be watched guys run after the QB and never get there; if GK gets a minimal amount of help from the rest of the D-line I think he will catch the rabbit.
Something to bear in mind about this last game, Vandy's biggest offensive weapon was Vaughn. Vaughn was the second leading rusher in the SEC last year and was averaging about 8.0 ypc. We held him to 56 yards on 17 carries. So while the QB pressure was kinda mediocre, I thought they did a fantastic job on run defense.

We should see less of the nickel from us and more of Cornell. Take away the run and make them beat us throwing the ball.

Quite honestly, I would like to see Graham spying on their running QB when he's in the game.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Good analysis. I think that both lines will continue incremental improvements throughout the year, with the d-line on a faster timeline. Johnson and Deen look like they have good potential and Sullivan appears to be a kid who can be a real standout as the weight/strength changes. The young receivers obviously will just continue to get better and Anderson is already proving to be a good one.
My biggest concern defensively through the first two games is pass coverage by the linebacker position, specifically Holt. He's a solid tackler but seems a bit slow in coverage and has been beaten over the middle more than once.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT