ADVERTISEMENT

Season Reflections, Looking Ahead......

Roeder

Junior
Jun 21, 2007
Finally have some time to sit down and write out some thoughts on the season. The sting of that last second loss to UVA is starting to wear off, and looking back this is probably my favorite Purdue team since I started paying attention in the mid 90's. 26-10, Elitie Eight, Co-B1G Champs, and a team that at the end of the year was legitamately good enough to win it all, losing to the eventual National Champs on a 1/1,000,000 play.

Looking back, what Carsen and Cline did in the NCAA tournament was ridiculous. Cline going off in the 2nd half against Tenessee was easily one of my top 5 Purdue sports moments. The UVA game ended in a loss, but we witnessed one of the most clutch shooting performances in the history of the NCAA from Carsen. I will look back at that in 20 years with the same fondness that some of Reggie Millers bombs against the Knicks in the playoffs are etched into my brain.

Purdue loses a ton. Grady Eifert defined what it means to be a Boilermaker this year. Walking on, getting abused in practice for 3 years by Haas/Swanigan/Hammons, getting a chance his Sr year and making the most of it. His example alone will set a foundation for the next 3 seasons of what accepting your role, effort, and unselfishness look like to make a winning team. Cline showed what Painter was talking about the past 3 seasons when he said the team had "6 starters", always reffering to Cline as the 6th. Carsen will go down as one of the best ever to wear a Purdue uniform. It was a joy to watch him develop, and I hope he has a long NBA career.

Next year we return.......
Matt Haarms - 9.4ppg/ 5.4rpg/ 2.1bpg, .63FG/ .69FT/ .29 3FG, 22.9mpg
Nojel Eastern - 7.5ppg/ 5.5rpg/ 2.5apg/ 1.1spg, .495FG/ .65FT, 28.2mpg
Trevion Williams - 5.2ppg/ 4.0rpg, .54FG/ .51FT/ .33 3FG, 10.2mpg
Evan Boudreaux - 5.2ppg/ 3.0rpg, .455FG/ .738FT/ .34 3FG, 12.0 mpg
Aaron Wheeler - 4.7ppg/ 3.0rpg, .444FG/ .61FT/ .365 3FG, 13.7mpg
Sasha Stefonovic - 2.5ppg/ 1.1rpg, .39FG/ .35FT/ .41 3FG, 11.5mpg
Eric Hunter Jr - 2.2ppg/ 1.4rpg/ 1.1apg, .303FG/ .70FT/ .21 3FG ,12.6mpg

On paper this group will likely be counted out again, but like last year there will be an opportunity for guys to step into new roles with increased minutes and I can see this team proving people wrong once again. The experience the returning guys recieved playing in big games this year is invaluable, and I believe the culture has been established to finish near the top of the conference and make runs past the 1st weekend of the NCAA tournament a regular occurence. I did notice that ESPN kept Purdue out of there Way to Early Top 25, which is laughable, but predictable. They had 4 B1G teams in the top10 (MSU, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State), and Iowa will be tough next year too. Anyways, will be fun to see what Coach Painter and the staff does with these pieces next year.

I'm looking for a breakout year for him.
Free throw percentages are alarming. Granted, the freshmen didn't get a whole lot of chances but still:

Wheels at 61%
Tre at 51%
and Sasha at a paltry 35%.

Hopefully these guys can get up near 70%. Nojel turned it around, I wouldn't see why these 3 can't.

Tre especially as he will get a lot of chances. Need to get him 70+%

To me Sasha may be the biggest key next season. Boilers need him to step up and be a reliable scoring option.

What does a good year for Sasha next year from your perspective? Does he have a chance to be as good as DM was when he was a sophomore? If he gets to that level to me it’s a big win.

Reactions: milkdude
I predict Nojel will get even more minutes (33+ minutes /game) next year. Also well into the season like Jan/Feb, Newman gets starting minutes
Maybe. I think his minutes realistically stay the same. Eric Hunter is his back up, and I think Eric will show significamt growth in his game. I think Nojels minutes will depend on how good Eric gets in the off season. small improvements then ya Nojel plays more. Agree on Newman.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT