ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage.

Random observations from strictly a amateur view. Zach is a beast. Braden Smith is going to be a pita to the B1G for 4 years. Already love this kid. A bit wreckless, but that will get cleaned up. Struggled early from the 3 pt line. Got a little better in third qtr. Loyer kind of reminded me of Sasha, nice quick release. Defense seemed ahead at the offense to me.
Zone was played in several occasions.
Berg and waddel dnp, waddel warmed up, berg did not.

Random observations from strictly a amateur view. Zach is a beast. Braden Smith is going to be a pita to the B1G for 4 years. Already love this kid. A bit wreckless, but that will get cleaned up. Struggled early from the 3 pt line. Got a little better in third qtr. Loyer kind of reminded me of Sasha, nice quick release. Defense seemed ahead at the offense to me.
Zone was played in several occasions.
Berg and waddel dnp, waddel warmed up, berg did not.

Zone????? 😱

Random thoughts (we only stayed for the first 2 periods).

You will love Smith. Lightning quickness. Hit a couple of long ones. Couple good feeds. Couple of turnovers.

Berg needs to double his weight if he wants to play in the Big 14.

Ethan had a few issues getting the ball to Zach. Overall, played well as a general on the floor.

Camden took about 6 long shots and made 1.

Caleb and Mason looked like little kids trying to guard Zach.

Zach is Zach, continues to need to learn to make good passes when doubled (except when he's 3 feet from the basket). Had a bunch of points.

Fletcher was not a factor in the first two periods.

Caleb looked strong (except when going against Goliath). Had one massive dunk.

Brandon was smooth and made over 50%.

Mason hasn't stopped hustling since last March.

Did I mention that you're gonna love Braden?

TKR made a couple of nice floaters in Zach's face.

Braden had a couple of high bank shots over Zach. Impressive!

David is still learning the team.

Overall, outside shooting was not that great.

Zach Edey was 6 for 6 from the FT line during periods 1 and 2.

Chris Kramer sighting (and got his autograph).

anyone have a box score from the scrimmage?
It's linked on the front page article.

They shot poorly from 3, but I'm not worried about that long term. This team has guys who have proven they can hit at a high clip.

Smith and Morton having 9 total turnovers is eye opening. I didn't see scrimmage, but hopefully it was a product of guys knowing plays and blowing them up vs being sloppy.

Zach was 7-7 from the FT line. I hope that holds up and he can hit 75%. Both he and Trevion have left quite a few points out there the last few years. Zach should draw fouls at an enormous clip with the uptick in minutes, especially when you factor in he should get some star treatment this year as he will be one of the faces of CBB.

It looks like TKR, Furst, Newman, and Loyer all played well too.

It's linked on the front page article.

They shot poorly from 3, but I'm not worried about that long term. This team has guys who have proven they can hit at a high clip.

Smith and Morton having 9 total turnovers is eye opening. I didn't see scrimmage, but hopefully it was a product of guys knowing plays and blowing them up vs being sloppy.

Zach was 7-7 from the FT line. I hope that holds up and he can hit 75%. Both he and Trevion have left quite a few points out there the last few years. Zach should draw fouls at an enormous clip with the uptick in minutes, especially when you factor in he should get some star treatment this year as he will be one of the faces of CBB.

It looks like TKR, Furst, Newman, and Loyer all played well too.

Zach was an excellent free throw shooter his freshman year. Not as good last season. Trevion... Well he was Trevion .

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Turnovers were definitely glaring. Smith had some bad ones, wild drives and leaving his feet. As I said, I suspect that will get cleaned up.
Morton just didn't do anything for me. Still some bad passes into the middle from everyone.
We will miss trevion passes from the blocks this year, Zach just doesn't seem to have that feel for quick decisions out of a double team.

There was a hand written box score from an article Brian posted on Twitter.

Looking at the box a lot of production came from our big guys.

Team was 6 for 35 from 3. Nobody shot it at a good clip (Heide was 1 for 2).

Leading Scorers
Edey 21
Loyer 14
TKR 11
Newman and Furst 9

Gillis 7 points, 7 boards.

Smiths numbers were okay but not great. 7 points (2 of 5) 4 rebounds, 4 assist, 1 steal but 5 turnovers.

Heide 5 points, 4 Rebounds

Morton and Jenkins only scored 2 points each. Morton had 7 assists but 4 turnovers.

Its only a scrimmage but nothing here really surprises me. The backcourt is still a big question mark.

Random thoughts (we only stayed for the first 2 periods).

You will love Smith. Lightning quickness. Hit a couple of long ones. Couple good feeds. Couple of turnovers.

Berg needs to double his weight if he wants to play in the Big 14.

Ethan had a few issues getting the ball to Zach. Overall, played well as a general on the floor.

Camden took about 6 long shots and made 1.

Caleb and Mason looked like little kids trying to guard Zach.

Zach is Zach, continues to need to learn to make good passes when doubled (except when he's 3 feet from the basket). Had a bunch of points.

Fletcher was not a factor in the first two periods.

Caleb looked strong (except when going against Goliath). Had one massive dunk.

Brandon was smooth and made over 50%.

Mason hasn't stopped hustling since last March.

Did I mention that you're gonna love Braden?

TKR made a couple of nice floaters in Zach's face.

Braden had a couple of high bank shots over Zach. Impressive!

David is still learning the team.

Overall, outside shooting was not that great.

Zach Edey was 6 for 6 from the FT line during periods 1 and 2.

Chris Kramer sighting (and got his autograph).
Smith ought to appear lightning quick compared to anyone else on the court besides maybe Jenkins

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Turnovers were definitely glaring. Smith had some bad ones, wild drives and leaving his feet. As I said, I suspect that will get cleaned up.
Morton just didn't do anything for me. Still some bad passes into the middle from everyone.
We will miss trevion passes from the blocks this year, Zach just doesn't seem to have that feel for quick decisions out of a double team.
Your post seems so different from what others saw. Can't expect freshman to look flawless in first performance with fans. Not saying you said they would be, but they have to get going and us fans have to allow for that. Easier to accept errors from freshman , than older players still repeating mistakes.

Reactions: Schnelk
We won't miss Tre's 6.5 T/Os per 100 possessions or him being constantly out of position on D.

Loyer had a good day.....

Testify.....

a26d42ae7d0cd9dc0ffcace1072953e528b4ca9a.gif

Reactions: TX4GB
I suspect this team is going to be borderline unwatchable sometimes like some past Painter teams that had long stretches of stagnant offense.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Anybody notice that Brian keeps saying we only have 1 true point guard? I wonder what this means for Morton. Given the hype around Smith, is Morton going to be relegated to backup minutes at the point?

I'm not sure I see Morton being a good option at the 2 or 3 with Smith on the floor unless he's expanded his offensive game. He didn't score much this summer or in the scrimmage, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Anybody notice that Brian keeps saying we only have 1 true point guard? I wonder what this means for Morton. Given the hype around Smith, is Morton going to be relegated to backup minutes at the point?

I'm not sure I see Morton being a good option at the 2 or 3 with Smith on the floor unless he's expanded his offensive game. He didn't score much this summer or in the scrimmage, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
He’s definitely the starting 3 and will run the point when Smith is out

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
FIFY. Maybe Gillis starts. But you can't leave TKR's scoring ability on the bench very long if you're gonna play Morton at the 3. I just don't see this starting lineup as very productive...
It's really going to be interesting to see the minutes for the guards. I could see Newman with Loyer and Smith, especially if Morton struggles to score. Of course if the 2 freshman are turnover prone, then we might see a lot of Jenkins with Newman and Morton.

It's really going to be interesting to see the minutes for the guards. I could see Newman with Loyer and Smith, especially if Morton struggles to score. Of course if the 2 freshman are turnover prone, then we might see a lot of Jenkins with Newman and Morton.
I don't know about Morton. For whatever reason he hasn't shown an ability to score. He's averaged around 2 points per game his first two years. Did it again in the summer when he was on tour in Spain and scored the least amount of points in the scrimmage, I know we have big guys that can fill it up but it looks like we can only play 2 of them at a time. Just seems like we may need some scoring from the three spot, If the freshmen are as good as advertised, I think I'd rather see Loyer or even Heide at the three, especially if Morton is playing minutes as the backup point.

On a side note, with Waddell and Berg not practicing, I don't see how you redshirt Heide. Do we really want to go into the B1G season with only 9 healthy scholarship players and only 5 guys to play the 1,2 and 3.

I don't know about Morton. For whatever reason he hasn't shown an ability to score. He's averaged around 2 points per game his first two years. Did it again in the summer when he was on tour in Spain and scored the least amount of points in the scrimmage, I know we have big guys that can fill it up but it looks like we can only play 2 of them at a time. Just seems like we may need some scoring from the three spot, If the freshmen are as good as advertised, I think I'd rather see Loyer or even Heide at the three, especially if Morton is playing minutes as the backup point.

On a side note, with Waddell and Berg not practicing, I don't see how you redshirt Heide. Do we really want to go into the B1G season with only 9 healthy scholarship players and only 5 guys to play the 1,2 and 3.
I tend to agree, but Morton could surprise.

ADVERTISEMENT