ADVERTISEMENT

Scoring out of the 4

May 7, 2023
I agree with the article that someone needs to be more offensive at the 4. Very inconsistent position.

As to wether it's Furst, or TKR, maybe even Gillis, who unlocks the puzzle, I don't know? But someone needs to take control there.

One would think with a Mr. BB & a Gatorade Player of the year available @ the 4, that someone would work on their shot this off-season, and take hold offensively there? So far neither has been overly dominate, given the expectations.

I agree with the article that someone needs to be more offensive at the 4. Very inconsistent position.

As to wether it's Furst, or TKR, maybe even Gillis, who unlocks the puzzle, I don't know? But someone needs to take control there.

One would think with a Mr. BB & a Gatorade Player of the year available @ the 4, that someone would work on their shot this off-season, and take hold offensively there? So far neither has been overly dominate, given the expectations.

none of those guys are good shooters. answer might be going with smaller lineups.

TKR and Furst both have a lot of game yet unseen. Furst has some nice moves around the basket and TKR can shoot the jumper. Switch their placement when playing them together would be a start. I think TKR scoring ability might net him more minutes with Zack if his defense can keep up.

Reactions: jtanoos1
Would prefer to go small and have TKR and Furst play the 5.

Furst did a nice job when he was given the chance to post up, as did TKR.

As a shooter (when playing the 4), Furst was not good.

As much as I want Zach back, I really don’t think that’s a good thing for Furst and TKR.

As much as I want Zach back, I really don’t think that’s a good thing for Furst and TKR.
Both of them were very happy to have the opportunity to play 4 BECAUSE of Zack being here. We've lost a lot of forwards over the years because they would have to play center here. If they have aspirations of the next level they need to become skilled enough to play the 4 spot, so in fact it probably IS a good thing for them that Zack was and hopefully IS here to play 5. I get what you mean, but they will have their shot at that after Z is gone. If they came here and played center their whole career I doubt either gets a sniff at the NBA.

Both of them were very happy to have the opportunity to play 4 BECAUSE of Zack being here. We've lost a lot of forwards over the years because they would have to play center here. If they have aspirations of the next level they need to become skilled enough to play the 4 spot, so in fact it probably IS a good thing for them that Zack was and hopefully IS here to play 5. I get what you mean, but they will have their shot at that after Z is gone. If they came here and played center their whole career I doubt either gets a sniff at the NBA.
Good points. I just worry TKR at Furst is what they "want," but isn't what's actually best. Furst really struggled shooting from 3 last season.

While they may "have their shot" once Z is gone, Furst will only get one year...

Not 'a good thing' for their personal productivity or for Purdue as a team?

none of those guys are good shooters. answer might be going with smaller lineups.
I don't even know how to respond to this. Gillis is a 38% career three point shooter whose shooting was impacted by back issues most of last year and still shot a respectable 36%. Furst shot 42% as a freshman but definitely struggled shooting last year. Trey has 20 career attempts from three.

Underperformed last year? Yes
None of them can shoot? Data would suggest that that's not the case

I don't even know how to respond to this. Gillis is a 38% career three point shooter whose shooting was impacted by back issues most of last year and still shot a respectable 36%. Furst shot 42% as a freshman but definitely struggled shooting last year. Trey has 20 career attempts from three.

Underperformed last year? Yes
None of them can shoot? Data would suggest that that's not the case
trey Galloway shot a crazy percentage last year but on very low volume he is not a great shooter I would suspect the same was true of the Purdue players. Furst and Renn will never be great shooters if asked to take 4 or5 a game. Gilles maybe a notch or 2 above the others

trey Galloway shot a crazy percentage last year but on very low volume he is not a great shooter I would suspect the same was true of the Purdue players. Furst and Renn will never be great shooters if asked to take 4 or5 a game. Gilles maybe a notch or 2 above the others
You're moving the bar from 'good shooter' to 'great shooter'. I'd be thrilled if Caleb and TKR shot it like Galloway did last year. They're going to get a ton of open looks again in this offense, just like Galloway did for IU. They just need to knock them down.

Gillis has shot a higher volume than Galloway but that's also where he's best, knocking down open shots versus flying off of screens to get open. He has shown the ability to hit a pull up when defenders overplay the three and I expect that we'll see more of that this year.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
For their personal productivity…but maybe also for Purdue as a team in terms of its ability to go far in the NCAA tournament.
Understand that take but tend to disagree, at least for the coming season. I can see the argument that the 2024-2025 team is better if the team is more reliant on players like Trey and Caleb next season.

In an ideal world Zach comes back and Caleb and Trey continue to develop as well. They'll certainly have lower with Zach returning but that doesn't prevent them, IMO, from developing their games.

Good points. I just worry TKR at Furst is what they "want," but isn't what's actually best. Furst really struggled shooting from 3 last season.

While they may "have their shot" once Z is gone, Furst will only get one year...
I'd be fine if I never saw Caleb hoist another 3. A year is plenty if you are talented enough.
And I don't thing Caleb is a horrible shooter. Just he's better serving the team in the paint and setting picks.
We have other guys to shoot the long shots.

Last edited:
Do we?
Shooting--yes Making -- no.

But we need 4 guys out there that are 35%+ threats with Edey in the middle. One of those needs to be the 4 for sure.

Yes.....and that's really the most important part of the shot......the making! Anybody can take the shot.....but you also have to MAKE the shot.

1A4d.gif

Last edited:
In a recent Field of 68 interview with Jeff Goodman, Painter mentioned he regretted not playing TKR more at the end of the year because the team needed his scoring punch. He said staff will be working with him so he can be better suited to guard quicker 4's next year.

Also reading between the lines of his comments you can tell he expects Zach to be back when talking about next year's team. We'll see.....

Do we?
Shooting--yes Making -- no.

But we need 4 guys out there that are 35%+ threats with Edey in the middle. One of those needs to be the 4 for sure.
No we don't.
Try the concept of "not a freshman any more"
Not talking Morton changing here.
2 guys shooting 45%+ = free reign elsewhere

No we don't.
Try the concept of "not a freshman any more"
Not talking Morton changing here.
2 guys shooting 45%+ = free reign elsewhere

4 guys who can shoot > 2 guys who shoot great.

That is because great defensive teams will shut down or limit their opportunities when they can concentrate on 2.

That is because great defensive teams will shut down or limit their opportunities when they can concentrate on 2.
Not sure that I've seen a great defense take away Zach and two shooters.

You may be right in that four good shooters > two great shooters. I'm not sure.

and pull 2 defenders out 22' from the basket.
then the rest of your team goes 3 on 3 with huge amounts of room to work.
With one of them being the best post scorer in the country....
Zack goes 1 on 1 with no guards hacking him on every pass. ;) Time and room to make moves.
He might avg 30pts if 2 guys shoot 45% 3's.

If you shoot 35% you should NOT take that shot..........

Yes.....and that's really the most important part of the shot......the making! Anybody can take the shot.....but you also have to MAKE the shot.

1A4d.gif
Harry! I know he can GET the shot, but can he MAKE the shot ?

• Love
Reactions: northside100
and pull 2 defenders out 22' from the basket.
then the rest of your team goes 3 on 3 with huge amounts of room to work.
With one of them being the best post scorer in the country....
Zack goes 1 on 1 with no guards hacking him on every pass. ;) Time and room to make moves.
He might avg 30pts if 2 guys shoot 45% 3's.

If you shoot 35% you should NOT take that shot..........
The way we rebound...35% is fine

ADVERTISEMENT