ADVERTISEMENT

Say something

BuilderBob6

All-American
Jan 27, 2007
North Carolina
Mr President.

"On Thursday, Putin gave a public address to Russian diplomats in which he claimed that specific “useful agreements” were reached with Trump in their one-on-one meeting at the summit, a private meeting that Trump himself insisted on. Putin’s announcement came a day after his Ambassador to Washington, Anatoly Antonov, said that Trump had made “important verbal agreements” with Putin on arms control and other matters. The Russians, Antonov said, were ready to get moving on implementing them. The White House, meanwhile, has said nothing about what the two men may have agreed to in private, although Trump tweeted Thursday morning that he and Putin had discussed everything from nuclear proliferation to Syria, Ukraine, and trade, and that he looked forward to a second meeting with the Russian President soon, to follow up. On Thursday afternoon, the White House confirmed that Trump plans to invite Putin to Washington in the fall for another summit. "

Did Trump agree to give up Montenegro, where Putin has already attempted a coup? Agree to pull out of Syria, something he has talked about for months? Agree to some sort of shared intelligence with Russia? The only thing we do know is Trump apparently considered Putin's demand to interrogate McFaul and Browder.

It's clear these private meetings cause all sorts of problems, I assume they'll be another one when Putin comes here.country

This not the way things are done in this country. Trumpers always claim he does things differently because past methods didn't work. I don't think changing to an authoritative government where we rely on one man to decide the policies of our country is a good idea. I don't think keeping policy discussions with an enemy completely hidden from the public is the way to go.

This man has shown he's not to be trusted and is not a competent negotiator. This is not the New York real estate market where he knows the field and can bully his way through and get what he wants. This is the foreign policy of America and he is a novice.......and yet he continually ignores the advice of career professionals..........believing his instincts are superior to the experience of those he has placed in the state department and intelligence community.

IDK how anyone can think this is a good idea. Can we really trust this man to do the right thing here......especially considering he's telling us nothing?

https://www.newyorker.com/news/lett...-foreign-policy/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:
Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Well, after reading the post, it is hard to see how you would not think this is an improvement for the USA.

Not trying to be sarcastic. I do wish Coats, Pompeo, Kelly and possibly some others were with him. But this is out in the open, US knows it occurred. Know the details? No. But that will come with time, and in reality, it will be hard for Trump to do much of anything on his own.

Well, after reading the post, it is hard to see how you would not think this is an improvement for the USA.

Not trying to be sarcastic. I do wish Coats, Pompeo, Kelly and possibly some others were with him. But this is out in the open, US knows it occurred. Know the details? No. But that will come with time, and in reality, it will be hard for Trump to do much of anything on his own.
What is out in the open? An improvement over what?

What is out in the open? An improvement over what?

At least the US citizens knows this happened and there is a new summit tentatively scheduled with Russia. Same with NK, and Pompeo and others are working that now. This is not how things went down with Iran.

At least the US citizens knows this happened and there is a new summit tentatively scheduled with Russia. Same with NK, and Pompeo and others are working that now. This is not how things went down with Iran.
The Iranian “thing” involved a lot of other countries beyond the US and Iran.

US citizens know there was a meeting. Otherwise we don't know shit. We do have Putin telling us his side of what was agreed to.

I don't care how things went down with Iran. I don't know what that means. What I do know is Trump has invited Putin to come here a couple months before an election......an election our IC believes the Russians will attempt to interfere in.

Would it not send a better message if we waited until after the election......see if Russia interferes, then invite Putin if they didn't? You don't reward people unless they do something right. What position are you going to take on this next summit if Russia tries to hack our election two months later?
Madness.

Reactions: Bill4411
US citizens know there was a meeting. Otherwise we don't know shit. We do have Putin telling us his side of what was agreed to.

I don't care how things went down with Iran. I don't know what that means. What I do know is Trump has invited Putin to come here a couple months before an election......an election our IC believes the Russians will attempt to interfere in.

Would it not send a better message if we waited until after the election......see if Russia interferes, then invite Putin if they didn't? You don't reward people unless they do something right. What position are you going to take on this next summit if Russia tries to hack our election two months later?
Madness.

I think my main difference is I do not see our leaders meeting with other world leaders, whether it be North Korea, Iran, or Russia as a reward.

I understand my position is a bit hypocritical in that I have stated it is largely a waste, as these countries will do as they want anyway. However, I also think trying to engage them, and possibly find a common area or two, can be beneficial instead of shunning them. No, that does not mean give them aid as some here have said Trump has done with NK.

Also, I think meeting a person in person, with most people, tone and attitude tends to change. One thing Reagan and Tip said was sitting down and having dinner once a week really helped working together, they became friends. I think that there are benefits to it. They are just people. May or may not have ill will, I am sure some do. But no reason to fear or shun them IMO.

My point was with my post, things are much more open with Trump than Obama. That was part of your post you said you did not like about the Trump/Putin arrangement. Trump says what he says, tweets what he tweets, have an idea of his goals. Cannot say the same for Obama. Will reference the Obama Russia summit and Iran as points.

Personally, do not think Trump inviting Putin right before an election is a smart political move, bt he did it. If I were a Republican, all I would talk about is the economy, taxes, whipping ISIS, getting conservative judges in office. The way Russia, abortion, election meddling and immigration have been handled is very poor. and wiuld not want that as focus of campaign.

The Iranian “thing” involved a lot of other countries beyond the US and Iran.

I can give you that. Good point.

But it also involved talks and an agreement that many thought the Senate should have voted on, secret letters at the beginning, and an attempt to circumvent sanctions thru a mideast bank(someone here posted article)

All my point was is at least we know there was a meeting and it was out in open

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT