ADVERTISEMENT

Safe to assume Sharon is being retained?

hunkgolden

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
I’d have to think she’d have been let go by now if it were going to happen.

Never in doubt except on this board whether right or wrong. She won 20 games with a thin roster,has a lot of talent and some depth coming back and some good recruits. She is not national like most programs. Appears the AD can live with a competitive BT program.

I don’t think winning 20 games is all that impressive these days. It used to be the plateau teams were measured against, but when you play 34 games, it’s not all that successful.

Reactions: PurdueTim16
I am not a Versyp fan, but she did manage to build a pretty good season out of what appeared tp be a pending disaster, somewhat of her own making. That said, the team has some momentum at this point, so we may have an even better season next year.

Most of us are at too far a distance to judge the chemistry and attitude of the team. I would think much depends on the players perspective. Do they see the jar half full or half empty? Do they like each other? If the chemistry is good, I can see the team doing well, and Sharon continuing for some time.

She has some recruiting momentum, and she is a reasonable game coach. I just don’t think she can recruit at the ND level. If we want to compete at the national level, we must recruit top 50 players.

The program has dropped to such a low level that power 5 coaching experience is no longer a prerequisite.
I do not believe that. Certainly there are Power 5 schools with less attractive facilities available to them where their coach could, potentially, be interested. Purdue has a young team with impressive talent.

No matter, it will not happen anymore this year and I remain optimistic that Purdue will fight for the top 3rd of the league next year, if it can avoid the injury curse it has had the last few years.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
Purdue's average conference finish the last 5 years is 6th. Did you ever imagine you would see Purdue women averaging a 6th place finish over a 5 year period?
You have to go all the way back to Ruth Jones to find such futility. Ironically enough, Ruth was Sharon's coach at Purdue.

Dunn averaged a 2nd place finish in her nine years - her worst was a 6th place finish. She finished first three times. Nell Fortner finished 1st in her only year with the school. Carolyn Peck was here two years and finished 3rd and 1st. Curry was here seven years and won the conference twice and had an average finish of 2nd. Her worst finish was 5th.
Then we have Versyp. She has yet to win the conference in her twelve years with the school. Her average finish is almost 5th - 4.7. The previous four coaches combined had an average finish of 2.3. Our conference finishes under Versyp are more than double what they were the previous 19 years.

Last edited:
Purdue's average conference finish the last 5 years is 6th. Did you ever imagine you would see Purdue women averaging a 6th place finish over a 5 year period?
You have to go all the way back to Ruth Jones to find such futility. Ironically enough, Ruth was Sharon's coach at Purdue.

Dunn averaged a 2nd place finish in her nine years - her worst was a 6th place finish. She finished first three times. Nell Fortner finished 1st in her only year with the school. Carolyn Peck was here two years and finished 3rd and 1st. Curry was here seven years and won the conference twice and had an average finish of 2nd. Her worst finish was 5th.
Then we have Versyp. She has yet to win the conference in her twelve years with the school. Her average finish is almost 5th - 4.7. The previous four coaches combined had an average finish of 2.3. Our conference finishes under Versyp are more than double what they were the previous 19 years.

The facts don’t lie, but many refuse to believe them. No way would I be allowed to perform at this level in my job, nor would I be content to see my output fail to live up to expectations. It would drive me insane to be responsible for the decline in the program. Not sure how any coach could feel successful considering where the program now stands.

I do not believe that. Certainly there are Power 5 schools with less attractive facilities available to them where their coach could, potentially, be interested. Purdue has a young team with impressive talent.

No matter, it will not happen anymore this year and I remain optimistic that Purdue will fight for the top 3rd of the league next year, if it can avoid the injury curse it has had the last few years.
"a young team with impressive talent" yet "fight for the top 3rd of the league" is optimistic? In other words, another team with lots of potential playing poor basketball, lots of unforced turnovers, with 5 minute spurts that keep everyone optimistic. Seen that, seen that again, getting really tired of SOS.

I'd vote for giving Carolyn Peck another shot. Last time I seen her she was doing color on the WNBA and B1G network. Gotta be a better pay day coaching? And she was at the helm when they hung the banner in '99.

I'd vote for giving Carolyn Peck another shot. Last time I seen her she was doing color on the WNBA and B1G network. Gotta be a better pay day coaching? And she was at the helm when they hung the banner in '99.
I like this idea because I like CP. However, I would be worried that her banner in '99 might be like Davis' run at IU the first year.The old coach "momentum" into the team that it carried into the next year with little addition by the current coach.

I like this idea because I like CP. However, I would be worried that her banner in '99 might be like Davis' run at IU the first year.The old coach "momentum" into the team that it carried into the next year with little addition by the current coach.
not having much indepth knowledge about the womens program and having slept a fwe nights since, it appeared to me that Nell Fortner did a good job...and didn't she do it with a volleyball player?

typical of purdue in that era to not capitalize on its success. football rose bowl, women's national championship...and morgue runs them into the ground. She's gotta be on notice this year. Build some momentum or move along.

Reactions: mathboy
not having much indepth knowledge about the womens program and having slept a fwe nights since, it appeared to me that Nell Fortner did a good job...and didn't she do it with a volleyball player?
Nell was okay, but we can do better. We need a dynamic recruiter that can use the advantages and history of the program to bring in the best kids from Indiana and surrounding states.

Of course the coach will need to know the game and get the best out of the talent. Not many can fit those qualifications. Frankly I would say the Purdue women's coach is the top job in the BIG, with only OSU as a contender.

Track star Corissa Yasen, considered one of the best woman athletes ever at Purdue.

Reactions: tjreese
Frankly I would say the Purdue women's coach is the top job in the BIG, with only OSU as a contender.
Really? Are you talking about potentially available jobs? Because otherwise, I do not understand why Purdue (with its continual problems of recruiting in a "small" state with 3 major universities) would rank over Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska or Michigan. Even Penn State, which has a long tradition of excelling in women's sports, would be tough competition.

I love Purdue -- including women's sports at Purdue -- but it is hard for me to see how being a coach for our WBB right now would be considered the premiere job in the B1G.

Really? Are you talking about potentially available jobs? Because otherwise, I do not understand why Purdue (with its continual problems of recruiting in a "small" state with 3 major universities) would rank over Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska or Michigan. Even Penn State, which has a long tradition of excelling in women's sports, would be tough competition.

I love Purdue -- including women's sports at Purdue -- but it is hard for me to see how being a coach for our WBB right now would be considered the premiere job in the B1G.

Reactions: Indy_Rider

I’m a long time follower of WBB going back to my days at Purdue with Sharon. I’m such a fan of this lady as a coach but terribly disappointed in her ability to recruit and retain talent. From day 1, resulting from some high profile talent bailing, Sharon has had teams thin in depth. The hire I would make as an AD would be a talent magnet and a relentless recruiter. WBB is much like the football program. We get talent and become consistently competitive and Mackey will pull the biggest crowds in the nation.

Linn Dunn recruiting is what we need. The talent she pulled in was UConn level. I wish there was a book on her chapter at Purdue. I’m sure there’s a lot of interesting stuff behind the scenes. Anyone on here have an insiders view?

Reactions: Gesysp and kmot
anyone think Steph would be good? That NC team was so good that even Carolyn Peck said all she had to do was roll the ball out and let them play.

Reactions: SKYDOG

If you look at Peck's career, she really hasn't accomplished anything of note, since she left Purdue. In 5 seasons at UF, she was 72 - 75. She didn't have to recruit at Purdue, since her NC team was already on campus, when she took over. I see nothing to indicate that she would be a good recruiter. I don't see her as an improvement over SV.

I believe SV is on a short leash. She's bought a little more time, because Purdue isn't about to fire her, as she's recovering from cancer, but she needs to start producing tangible results within the next two seasons or she deserves to be replaced. We've had a long slide into obscurity for a program that won a NC and played in a second NC game, but that seems so long ago. Bo needs to be looking for a replacement soon.

Reactions: Gesysp and DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT