ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers v. Purdue (Game Thread)

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Today shapes up to be a very intriguing and competitive contest between the visiting surging Rutgers Scarlet Knights and the #5-ranked Purdue Boilermakers. Mackey Arena figures to be a great atmosphere again for another key late season big ten conference match-up. Tip is set for approximately 5:30 pm (Eastern) with television coverage on Fox Sports 1 (FS1). Purdue is currently in a three-way tie for first with Illinois and Wisconsin @ 12-4, while Rutgers is lurking @ 10-5. A win for the Boilers and they would stay 1/2 game ahead, but a win for the Knights and they'd be just a game back of first and even with Purdue in the loss column. Rutgers has been extremely impressive of late knocking off four ranked opponents in a row - home games over Michigan State, Ohio State, and Illinois and a road win at Wisconsin.

This is the return match for these two schools - Rutgers won back in December at home in a thrilling game won at the buzzer with a long-distance shot from Ron Harper, Jr. after Purdue had grabbed a late one-point lead. Harper injured his left hand (non-shooting) in Rutgers' big win over Illinois earlier in the week, and his status for today's game is uncertain. Regardless of Harper's availability or effectiveness, Rutgers is still more than capable of causing havoc for Purdue with the rest of their line-up. Geo Baker did not play in the first game, but he is back, and I expect he will be a focal point for Rutgers and also for Purdue's defense. He can take most defenders and shoot off the bounce and also attack to the rim.....he is an extremely difficult match-up when he is on with his outside shot. Paul Mulcahy has really stepped up his offensive game - he was already a very good passer/distributor, and now he has added a mid-post offensive game, which has elevated Rutgers' offense. If Harper is playing, it really forces Purdue to give something up, and Mulcahy will definitely have his opportunities I believe. Inside the paint is Cliff Omoruyi, who is very active and can be available for plays at the rim and second chance opportunities. Purdue's front court will need to keep an eye on him.

In conference play, Purdue is 1st in offensive efficiency and 10th in defensive efficiency. They lead the league in effective field goal percentage, two-point shooting percentage, three-point shooting percentage, offensive rebounding rate and free throw rate. However, the Boilers are just 10th in offensive turnover rate and 14th in free throw shooting percentage. Defensively, they allow the lowest opponent offensive rebounding rate in conference play and are fourth in defensive free throw rate.

They need to get back to executing well on offense and avoiding the careless turnovers and early shots off poor decisions. These put their defense in a bind too often. Purdue has looked tired of late as they've had a couple of tough, long stretches in the schedule. They received a very much needed day off after the road trip to Northwestern, so I expect them to look fresher, especially Jaden Ivey. He's struggled the last couple of games a little, but these are the types of games in which he can have a really big impact, on both ends of the floor. I still expect Purdue to try and work the size advantage in the paint early, let Jaden Ivey work the perimeter probing at times, and try to get Sasha Stefanovic and some of their other shooters good looks at the goal. Even though Illinois was outplayed - they did get some opportunities - just couldn't make nearly enough of them. Rutgers is in the top four in five of eight defensive categories in Big Ten play including 1st in steal rate, 3rd in block rate, turnover rate and free throw rate, while 4th in holding opponents to 47.6% in two-point shooting, and I expect the Scarlet Knights to try and mix things up.

Rutgers has won four straight in this series, playing tough physical games.....the Boilers have been somewhat on their heels as of late but still executing well when it counts for the most part. This will be one of the tougher games down the stretch.....can the Boilers match what the Scarlet Knights will bring and play with high intensity for a complete game? This is a huge opportunity for both teams - Purdue gets a much needed break until next weekend - if they can emerge victorious today, they will be in a very good position.....will they have enough to take down the hottest team in the conference right now?

We shall see....

Boiler up, my friends.....

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Today shapes up to be a very intriguing and competitive contest between the visiting surging Rutgers Scarlet Knights and the #5-ranked Purdue Boilermakers. Mackey Arena figures to be a great atmosphere again for another key late season big ten conference match-up. Tip is set for approximately 5:30 pm (Eastern) with television coverage on Fox Sports 1 (FS1). Purdue is currently in a three-way tie for first with Illinois and Wisconsin @ 12-4, while Rutgers is lurking @ 10-5. A win for the Boilers and they would stay 1/2 game ahead, but a win for the Knights and they'd be just a game back of first and even with Purdue in the loss column. Rutgers has been extremely impressive of late knocking off four ranked opponents in a row - home games over Michigan State, Ohio State, and Illinois and a road win at Wisconsin.

This is the return match for these two schools - Rutgers won back in December at home in a thrilling game won at the buzzer with a long-distance shot from Ron Harper, Jr. after Purdue had grabbed a late one-point lead. Harper injured his left hand (non-shooting) in Rutgers' big win over Illinois earlier in the week, and his status for today's game is uncertain. Regardless of Harper's availability or effectiveness, Rutgers is still more than capable of causing havoc for Purdue with the rest of their line-up. Geo Baker did not play in the first game, but he is back, and I expect he will be a focal point for Rutgers and also for Purdue's defense. He can take most defenders and shoot off the bounce and also attack to the rim.....he is an extremely difficult match-up when he is on with his outside shot. Paul Mulcahy has really stepped up his offensive game - he was already a very good passer/distributor, and now he has added a mid-post offensive game, which has elevated Rutgers' offense. If Harper is playing, it really forces Purdue to give something up, and Mulcahy will definitely have his opportunities I believe. Inside the paint is Cliff Omoruyi, who is very active and can be available for plays at the rim and second chance opportunities. Purdue's front court will need to keep an eye on him.

In conference play, Purdue is 1st in offensive efficiency and 10th in defensive efficiency. They lead the league in effective field goal percentage, two-point shooting percentage, three-point shooting percentage, offensive rebounding rate and free throw rate. However, the Boilers are just 10th in offensive turnover rate and 14th in free throw shooting percentage. Defensively, they allow the lowest opponent offensive rebounding rate in conference play and are fourth in defensive free throw rate.

They need to get back to executing well on offense and avoiding the careless turnovers and early shots off poor decisions. These put their defense in a bind too often. Purdue has looked tired of late as they've had a couple of tough, long stretches in the schedule. They received a very much needed day off after the road trip to Northwestern, so I expect them to look fresher, especially Jaden Ivey. He's struggled the last couple of games a little, but these are the types of games in which he can have a really big impact, on both ends of the floor. I still expect Purdue to try and work the size advantage in the paint early, let Jaden Ivey work the perimeter probing at times, and try to get Sasha Stefanovic and some of their other shooters good looks at the goal. Even though Illinois was outplayed - they did get some opportunities - just couldn't make nearly enough of them. Rutgers is in the top four in five of eight defensive categories in Big Ten play including 1st in steal rate, 3rd in block rate, turnover rate and free throw rate, while 4th in holding opponents to 47.6% in two-point shooting, and I expect the Scarlet Knights to try and mix things up.

Rutgers has won four straight in this series, playing tough physical games.....the Boilers have been somewhat on their heels as of late but still executing well when it counts for the most part. This will be one of the tougher games down the stretch.....can the Boilers match what the Scarlet Knights will bring and play with high intensity for a complete game? This is a huge opportunity for both teams - Purdue gets a much needed break until next weekend - if they can emerge victorious today, they will be in a very good position.....will they have enough to take down the hottest team in the conference right now?

We shall see....

Boiler up, my friends.....

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i
Harper playing and ran into frank Kendrick. Haven't seen him for sometime

Harper playing and ran into frank Kendrick. Haven't seen him for sometime
I miss running into Frank now that I don't get to town much any more. Had so many great talks, not always about b'ball, about raising kids and youth league sports, and Keady/Knight LOL ... I guess that was b'ball!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT