ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers announces…

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
the retirement of HOF Coach C. Vivian Stringer after 50 years as a head coach and over 1000 victories including four FF . This is not a big surprise as she took leave for this past season . Her fierce leadership at both Iowa and Rutgers was pretty legendary. Rutgers is doing a “national search” for her replacement.

And she gets almost $1 Mil as a ”going away” gift. So was she ushered out?

Wow.... and she left her entire team in limbo for a year about whether or not she would return to coaching and then waited until the final day that players can enter the transfer portal to announce she was retiring. That's a pretty shady way to end an otherwise great career. She will ultimately be remembered much less favorably for it.

Wow.... and she left her entire team in limbo for a year about whether or not she would return to coaching and then waited until the final day that players can enter the transfer portal to announce she was retiring. That's a pretty shady way to end an otherwise great career. She will ultimately be remembered much less favorably for it.
Yep. Another team that has faded badly from their once dominant position.

Ms. Springer was a great coach. She always instilled a killer attitude in her team that always made them formidable foes. In terms of her always having a tough team to compete against, I am glad to see her go. She is, however, one of the best to ever coach the game.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Is Rutgers ever going to hire a replacement?!? It's been almost a month and ...crickets.... Did they think Stringer was going to coach there forever? I mean she has been on her leave of absence for almost a year now and she was already 74...you'd think they'd already have some sort of clue as to who was going to be her replacement and act with some type of urgency considering it's almost Memorial Day. It's extremely strange.

*EDIT*

I went to their website and it was announced today (Literally like 13 minutes ago - as I was typing my original post LOL) that Coquese Washington has been named the HC. Still, it took them entirely way too long just to come up with Washington who has already failed once at a B10 school. But hey, wasn't really wanting a major name to go there so it's good for Purdue.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocRon and ChuckJr
Is Rutgers ever going to hire a replacement?!? It's been almost a month and ...crickets.... Did they think Stringer was going to coach there forever? I mean she has been on her leave of absence for almost a year now and she was already 74...you'd think they'd already have some sort of clue as to who was going to be her replacement and act with some type of urgency considering it's almost Memorial Day. It's extremely strange.

*EDIT*

I went to their website and it was announced today (Literally like 13 minutes ago - as I was typing my original post LOL) that Coquese Washington has been named the HC. Still, it took them entirely way too long just to come up with Washington who has already failed once at a B10 school. But hey, wasn't really wanting a major name to go there so it's good for Purdue.
Man, I thought her teams at Penn State were pretty bad. Very surprised.

Sounds like they did not have a lot of A list candidates from which to choose.

I was unaware or had otherwise forgotten she was 3x B1G COY and won the conference 2012-2014. After that run, her final 5 seasons they finished 13th, 11th, 7th, 11th, and 12th.

Reactions: DocRon
I would say she owes Alex Bentley and Maggie Lucas a ton of credit for winning those awards for her.
Yeah but you can say something similar about any coach who is having success. Can't win with bad players so have to give her some credit for getting/having those players and then winning with them.

I was also unaware of her repeated COY’s. Kind of like Versyp - initial success followed by a slow sink to the bottom.

Exactly how I felt. I am sure Stringer is a legendary coach, but she really overstayed her time at Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT