ADVERTISEMENT

Ross-Ade apparently getting new surface

Purdue is a national leader in Agronomy Research and Education.The new Daniel Center specializes in turfgrass applications and diagnostics. I cant say that PU will never install an artificial surface but as long as PU is renowned worldwide for an elite Ag Dept, Faculty and Research facilities, I doubt there will ever be anything but natural grass anywhere on the WL campus...

Last edited:
Reactions: RegionWarrior101
Purdue is a national leader in Agronomy Research and Education.The new Daniel Center specializes in turfgrass applications and diagnostics. I cant say that PU will never install an artificial surface but as long as PU is renowned worldwide for an elite Ag Dept, Faculty and Research facilities, I doubt there will ever be anything but natural grass anywhere on the WL campus...
Concrete is a good alternative....seemed there was plenty of that when I was on campus. I remember hearing plenty of jokes about how much concrete was on Purdue's campus and that was the sort of landscaping you'd expect from an engineering school.

I'll say that a lot of the renovations that have occurred at Purdue have included lots of green space and removing some of the concrete from places to return it to green. The new facilities on the Lily side of State Street and beyond are really, really, really nice (nano-tech and animal sciences for example).

I never understood the "Purdue isn't pretty." Who goes to college for the scenery? I know I wanted to climb a 300ft Rockwall just to get to Math 154 at 730AM.

Must be my accounting brain saying Purdue is a perfectly functioning campus, compact and efficient. If I want to look at trees I'll go find a forest :)

I never understood the "Purdue isn't pretty." Who goes to college for the scenery? I know I wanted to climb a 300ft Rockwall just to get to Math 154 at 730AM.

Must be my accounting brain saying Purdue is a perfectly functioning campus, compact and efficient. If I want to look at trees I'll go find a forest :)

Having an efficient campus and a pretty campus aren't mutually exclusive aspects.

Also makes sense for the new lettering on the field during the Spring Game. Easy to try something new when you know it'll have zero impact on the turf for the fall. I thought the white lettering looked excellent.

I agree, but for argument sake, the kind of team Brohm wants to put out there , I think an artificial surface would enhance the speed of the players.

I agree, but for argument sake, the kind of team Brohm wants to put out there , I think an artificial surface would enhance the speed of the players.
If Brohm were tell the administration that he could win 2-3 more games each season on turf, I would think " the powers that be" would sure listen. I'm just guessing that there would be resistance from influential falculty, donors and alumni. Before PU installed the PAT system with the drains and vacumn pumps in the 1970's, I remember a lot of debate about possibly installing astroturf instead and lots of people including Pres Hovde shot that idea down.

And they’re also painting the white and gold “Ross Ade Stadium” facade black.
Are they really doing that? It would make so much sense. I also hate to nitpick, but with that OUTSTANDING $65 million complex, next to the faded siding of the Mollenkopf is a bit of an eyesore. I would like to see the Mollenkopf painted or re-sided to match the darker new building. Minor fix, but would be a nice touch.

Are they really doing that? It would make so much sense. I also hate to nitpick, but with that OUTSTANDING $65 million complex, next to the faded siding of the Mollenkopf is a bit of an eyesore. I would like to see the Mollenkopf painted or re-sided to match the darker new building. Minor fix, but would be a nice touch.
You know I have made a mental note of that every time I have driven past. I wonder if giving it a darker exterior may contribute to hotter temperatures inside though.

Would be neat to retro-fit the two larger sides of the building to essentially be big sliding doors. What I think would be awesome would be to fit every other panel to slide like an accordion to open up a large portion of the space in the middle OR replace with glass panels to match the new complex next to it.
12021230.jpeg

Last edited:
You know I have made a mental note of that every time I have driven past. I wonder if giving it a darker exterior may contribute to hotter temperatures inside though.
That was my takeaway seeing it for first time at the spring game. Wow.... then ugh... The new facility did cover up that dated font "Purdue University" on the old side facing the street. I imagine they have to do something.

Looks like they are using a newer technique called Faze Mowing. Supposed to create flatter surface and healthier roots for the grass. Plus, it eliminates weeds and helps reduce use of sprays.

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT