ADVERTISEMENT

Ron English is new DB Coach

Does it seem odd to anybody else that Brohm is hiring these coaches before hiring a DC? I would think a DC would want to choose his own assistants. Unless the Dc has already been selected and is still coaching an NFL team.

Reactions: DAG10 and punaj
We know Hagen is a good recruiter. Does anyone know anything about this hire in that aspect?

Does it seem odd to anybody else that Brohm is hiring these coaches before hiring a DC? I would think a DC would want to choose his own assistants. Unless the Dc has already been selected and is still coaching an NFL team.
I was thinking the exact same thing. It is either Poindexter or the DC has already been selected but not announced yet.

We know Hagen is a good recruiter. Does anyone know anything about this hire in that aspect?

Was considered a good recruiter while on Lloyd Carr’s staff at Michigan

Lot of support to replace Carr as HC but loss to Appalachian State made that impossible

Biggest fault as DC was against the spread.

Strong recruiter in Florida and past was good in California. More I read, he is a really good recruiter out west. Purdue hasn’t done a whole lot out there recently so maybe they are trying to get back out there

Was MAC coach of the year while HC at Eastern Michigan. Not easy there

Last edited:
An IU fan, right? Probably butthurt by the train wreck of an off-season his team has had.
Go see the iu board where he discusses how English has been fired twice in 7 years. While getting pissy when called out for not acknowledging their DC has had 7 jobs in 8 years.

Reactions: NG.q15
Go see the iu board where he discusses how English has been fired twice in 7 years. While getting pissy when called out for not acknowledging their DC has had 7 jobs in 8 years.

And their DC was going to get demoted after one year as solr DX at AFA

Brohm is familiar with Coach Ron English. Seems like an upgrade at first pass, yet the journeyman coach was not retained by Florida. His track record has experiences as Defensive Coordinator and Head coach at EMU. Hope he brings renewed energy and can help solidify the defense. Time will tell.

Last edited:
A week or so ago I posted that with a lot of the top DC's off the board, the approach might be to promote Poindexter, since he has the best knowledge of the program and what hasn't been working, and to use the DC war chest to go after some really strong positional coaches. Rather than bringing someone fresh off the street who is looking to put their stamp on things. I'm not sure what it took to get Hagen and English here, but maybe that is what's going on.

Here is hoping that we don't see Purdue secondary players throwing opponent shoes that lose games...
That was one of my first thoughts too. Will Ron have to spend time training our secondary to "not throw shoes"?
Make your play and get back to the huddle! Just make a play and get ready for the next play, no stupid penalties.

200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT