ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo Langford

Fultz signed a 50 million dollar contract at age 19, and you are questioning if he has been successful basketball player? That's more money than you or I will ever see in our lives.

Depends on what he does with it. Iverson blew through much more than that. If you end up broke, doesn't matter how big that contract was.

If he doesn't get a big time second contract he didn't live up to his potential value. Who knows if he would have improved playing for an elite coach for a few more years.

The reason the one and done exists is because the NBA was getting far too many kids out of high school that were busts. That was costing the NBA money in two fronts. The kids weren't developing and it was dragging the overall talent down. Also, look at Biggie to Portland. Portland gained thousands of fans from Boiler nation buying jerseys and gear. The NBA absolutely benefits from kids going to college and honestly should look st making it 2-3 years out of high school. It will only benefit the NBA.

Fultz signed a 50 million dollar contract at age 19, and you are questioning if he has been successful basketball player? That's more money than you or I will ever see in our lives.

Guess we need to define successful. Sure he got a multi-million dollar contract but will it translate to on-court success? If you haven't seen him shoot a basketball lately, I would check it out because it is really bad right now. Unless he gets that figured out, $50mm contract might be his only "success"

Depends on what he does with it. Iverson blew through much more than that. If you end up broke, doesn't matter how big that contract was.

If he doesn't get a big time second contract he didn't live up to his potential value. Who knows if he would have improved playing for an elite coach for a few more years.

The reason the one and done exists is because the NBA was getting far too many kids out of high school that were busts. That was costing the NBA money in two fronts. The kids weren't developing and it was dragging the overall talent down. Also, look at Biggie to Portland. Portland gained thousands of fans from Boiler nation buying jerseys and gear. The NBA absolutely benefits from kids going to college and honestly should look st making it 2-3 years out of high school. It will only benefit the NBA.
I mean if he blows that money and doesn't invest it wisely, then he's a dumb***.

I don't think I would consider Lorenzo Romar an elite coach...

The NBA isn't going to increase the amount of time they make kids stay in college. They are just going to remove the rule forcing players to be a year removed from college.

1000 fans buying biggie jersey's is chump change to that organization.

Guess we need to define successful. Sure he got a multi-million dollar contract but will it translate to on-court success? If you haven't seen him shoot a basketball lately, I would check it out because it is really bad right now. Unless he gets that figured out, $50mm contract might be his only "success"
And yet his 50 million will still be more than he would ever have made if he weren't a basketball player. He is more financially successful than anyone on this board (assuming he doesn't blow it), because he is a good basketball player. He could never play again after these 5 years, and be set financially for life.

IU actually would be a perfect fit for Romeo if he wants to be one-and-done. Every game is televised with ~1/3 being national (ESPN or CBS), he’d start from day 1, and he’d be the focal point. Any concerns he may have had with the PG situation have probably been eliminated with the year Phinisee is having.

That being said, I personally think he ends up at Vanderbilt.

He would be on national tv just as much at Vandy(3 5 stars will do that), he’ll start wherever he goes.

I always laugh when iu fans say they are the perfect situation. It doesn’t matter where he goes he will get seen and drafted, it’s all about comfort and fit

Reactions: Indy_Rider
I’m sure there are stipulation in his contract that he has to live up to to get that money over his 4 year guarantee money contract. I’ve been watching many nba games and college and the biggest separation I see is the physically is far different than college why most 4 year guys who make it to the league do well why bcuz there more physically developed. Hypothetical question Trae young or Jalen Brunson who will be the better pro brunson. He’s physically more developed high IQ can run your team hellava PG will have more success than Trae any day. Trae yes take volume shots to get his points turns it over a lot and why he is struggling right now grown men getting physical with him now and it’s showing in his game. How will he adapt playing against chris Paul or any PGs in the league he has no shot guarding them dudes but a 4 year frank mason can grown man why he doing well so far. I’m not against kids taking that money but simply put many of these kids just not highly skilled enough or physically mature enough to play in the league from what I’m seeing.

He would be on national tv just as much at Vandy(3 5 stars will do that), he’ll start wherever he goes.

I always laugh when iu fans say they are the perfect situation. It doesn’t matter where he goes he will get seen and drafted, it’s all about comfort and fit
IU fans think they will have a superior team next year and I don’t see it. Phinese isn’t going to light the conference on fire next year and they will still lack shooters. Nashville is on a huge upswing right now, including in the sports world and will be a much better experience than back woods Bloomington in my opinion. Having two other 5 stars helps too, one would assume.

And yet his 50 million will still be more than he would ever have made if he weren't a basketball player. He is more financially successful than anyone on this board (assuming he doesn't blow it), because he is a good basketball player. He could never play again after these 5 years, and be set financially for life.
Again, that is why I said it depends on how you define successful. If it is strictly based on the money in your bank account, then yes, he is very successful.

If we are talking about accolades in the NBA, that is up for debate and will greatly depend on his ability to get back to where he was in college.

Based on the statistics though, most basketball are under some financial stress within 2 years of leaving the league. Most are not wise with their money and do not surround themselves with people who truly look out for them.

Again, this is a wild speculation based off of hypotheticals and what ifs.

I’m sure there are stipulation in his contract that he has to live up to to get that money over his 4 year guarantee money contract. I’ve been watching many nba games and college and the biggest separation I see is the physically is far different than college why most 4 year guys who make it to the league do well why bcuz there more physically developed. Hypothetical question Trae young or Jalen Brunson who will be the better pro brunson. He’s physically more developed high IQ can run your team hellava PG will have more success than Trae any day. Trae yes take volume shots to get his points turns it over a lot and why he is struggling right now grown men getting physical with him now and it’s showing in his game. How will he adapt playing against chris Paul or any PGs in the league he has no shot guarding them dudes but a 4 year frank mason can grown man why he doing well so far. I’m not against kids taking that money but simply put many of these kids just not highly skilled enough or physically mature enough to play in the league from what I’m seeing.
I'm sorry, but.... what? Trae Young is struggling this season? He is leading the nation in points and assists. He is a consensus top 5 pick in the NBA while Brunson is at best a 2nd round pick.

IU fans think they will have a superior team next year and I don’t see it. Phinese isn’t going to light the conference on fire next year and they will still lack shooters. Nashville is on a huge upswing right now, including in the sports world and will be a much better experience than back woods Bloomington in my opinion. Having two other 5 stars helps too, one would assume.
They won't lack shooters if Romeo commits.

Yes, lot of stipulations built into the contract to hit the max numbers.

Trae or Jalen - I personally would take Jalen. He is a more well rounded player and as you mentioned, has the physical attributes of being developed over the past 4 years. Granted NBA executives will take Trae higher because he is the hottest thing on the market right now and they don't have an appreciation of college development.

You could be right but how many 5 star all Americans right now in college are sitting on the bench as we speak or have transferred already. Fit you right but when you try to get every 5 star all American to play together as a team at maybe Vanderbilt will be a tall task bcuz all were promised to be the MAN. I mean look up the top 100 and all Americans from 2017 class and look at how many are doing what who is playing who is sitting specially the all Americans I’m here to tell you many are not playing even choosing the right school to go to. The power of a iPad when someone say you this or that than when they get to college HD evaluators can’t help you anymore but your game has to speak for itself. Only time will tell no matter were he goes he has to prove it. Log jam at Kansas with guards he go there Malik Newman will be back oh by the way was a top 20 player committed to miss st played a year was projected a 1 and done did ok transfers to Kansas sit out a year playing now and You tell me he gonna get drafted.

I'm sorry, but.... what? Trae Young is struggling this season? He is leading the nation in points and assists. He is a consensus top 5 pick in the NBA while Brunson is at best a 2nd round pick.
I never said he didn’t and maybe he will be a lottery pick but sir he is also leading the nation in t/o sir he will struggle mightily against nba guards sir is all I’m saying and if Brunson was more athletic he would have been able to leave maybe after freshman year defensively sophomore year. Your point is well taken but I stand on my point as well. I’m simply stating how will he handle playing against grown men at his size and weight not well Brunson could is why I’m saying.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
The question is... do we really want a 1 & done? CMP has proved successful at developing 4* 4 year players & Purdue has struggled when he's had players leave or transfer after a year or 2.
Of course you want 1 and dones, are you nuts! If a guy is talented enough to play in the NBA after one year, you take him without question. It's the coaches job to utilize that talent in the team structure.
And, depending on your definition of 'Success', Painter has NOT been successful when it counts (March). Right or wrong, programs are judged on what they do in March and Purdue has come up short for 38 years now.

Reactions: Boilersss
I just don't think they fit CMP's coaching style. CMP may be the best recruiter Purdue has had & I'm okay with us not getting 1 & done players as long as we are getting 4* 4 year players.

Come on...you act like Painter is some old school coach like Woody Hayes or Bob Knight. If Painter could land 1 n dones, he would and he'd figure out how best to use them.
Do you realize that he absolutely knew, with 100% certainty that he was only going to have Biggie for 1, maybe 2 years.

This is why, 5 reasons, I think Haarms is better for this year's team (and the future). As dissapointed as everybody was to miss on JJJ and as many people were down on Haarms for his low rating I am sure we got the right player. I wouldn't make that trade if MSU offered (and it were even possible).
1) Haarms doesn't mind coming off the bench). JJJ would want/need to start, and that would affect the lineup. Option 1 JJJ starts at the 5, which is something he didn't want to do. Option 2 he starts at the four, Vince becomes the 3, Dakota the 2, and Carsen at pg. Now we are relying on Taylor/Ewing (before he left) to back up the 5. What the team needed is exactly what Haarms provides and zero ego/pride to go with it.
2) Haarms is the elite rim defender we needed. He just isn't afraid to get dirty even though he could use to continue to bulk up. He is having a spectacular year and doing very special things as a true freshman on the defensive end.
3) He doesn't commit as many silly fouls as JJJ, although he certainly does make freshman mistakes and he doesn't play as many minutes.
4). Haarms brings energy every night and gets everybody around him jacked. He is willing to do whatever it takes for the team and he is very close with all of his teammates. That extra half year with the team allowed him to learn from Biggie and helped gave him a huge advantage. Not to mention a year and a half with Haas. If Haarms can develop a dominant offensive game, he will go pro early.
5) We get him in the future! Next year's team would really be hurting without some sort of veteran leadership in the post. Haarms will have been in the system for a year and a half to start the season. Can't rely on Taylor at this point, as much as everybody would like to. I imagine he stays on because of his experience though.

Dude....gold tinted glasses. If Painter had the choice between JJJ and Haarms, he's taking JJJ every. single. time.

Reactions: Boilersss

He'll be in the top .000000000001% of earners in the country, weather he makes another basket or not. Maybe he's not successful in terms of winning basketball games, but he's certainly successful in terms of cashing in on his basketball talent.

He'll be in the top .000000000001% of earners in the country, weather he makes another basket or not. Maybe he's not successful in terms of winning basketball games, but he's certainly successful in terms of cashing in on his basketball talent.
I don't disagree with you regarding financial success. However, most of these kids love playing the game of basketball and want to participate at the highest level. Your definition of success is focused only on the money. I think most of these kids would think themselves a failure if they could not do the one thing they always wanted to do, and their life slips always without having achieved that goal. Money only can do so much. Success has many definitions, and money is only one of them.

Dude....gold tinted glasses. If Painter had the choice between JJJ and Haarms, he's taking JJJ every. single. time.

I don't deny that Painter probably wanted JJJ more and that even I wanted JJJ the most out of the incoming players. That wasn't my point. My point is that Haarms is the perfect fit and he has been a large factor in the current success. Painter was very fortunate to land Haarms and get the contribution he is getting and benefited from bringing him in early. I wouldn't do anything to change the current chemistry because I know it's working. This team is better than last year after losing the runner-up player of the year. What makes you think adding a player that is less than that would make Purdue better? That's crazy talk.

It doesn't matter to me what JJJ and Romeo do in the NBA. Do they get their team to the promise land? Yet to be seen. If this team wins a championship with the current players, then I could care less about who didn't come here. I am worried about who we got and I love who we got. Off to one of the best starts in their history, Dan Dakich said it's the best team Purdue has had. These things excite me. Next step, win the National Championship and all that other stuff will matter none.

Maybe (probably?) it's my crimson-tinted glasses, but:

I think he was a likely Vandy commit (even though Vandy is a Nike school) until four significant things changed:
  1. Simi Shittu recently had what may be a major knee injury.
  2. Rob Phinisee developed physically and became far more dominant
  3. Archie Miller took a team with significant limitations and so far has met or exceeded expectations
  4. Bryce Drew took a team with real potential and experience and is currently 6-12 with that group. He's killed their fan support this year, and they've stunk even with no significant injuries.
I think that Kansas's logjam at the two/three and their potential NCAA issues are relatively minor points, but that Kansas's distance from New Albany is a real issue.

Where he'll end up? Beats me. I like IU's chances IF items three and four from my list more or less hold true throughout the season. I have full faith that Drew will not turn it around, but Archie has a tall task with IU's upcoming schedule.

Last edited:
I still believe as a coach you continue to recruit and pursue the one and done type player. As for all the examples given of one and done players leaving after 1 year, there are many more examples of one and done players who stayed!

Swanigan and Bridges stayed! Several of those supposed one and done players who went to U.K. Stayed for another year! A lot of these super hyped players realized they were not as good as they thought they were!

The question I can't answer is will a player progress better on the bench of an NBA team or playing in the G league. Verses playing at college? Admittedly they can concentrate on basketball without worry about their grades in French or Chemistry class! Look at Biggie! He's not a perfect package. Would he have learned more and benefitted more by staying at Purdue one more year? Will the Ball brothers learn more playing in Europe?

I believe we all agree Langford has talent. But how much will he improve in college? Would a second or third year at college really elevate his game much more than it is today? Would playing at college be better than being on an NBA team? Look at Lonzo Ball. He's admittedly struggling. However, at the end of this year, developmental wise, would he be a better player if he stayed at UCLA, or by learning from his mistakes playing in the NBA? Looking at next October, which path better prepared him for next year?

Which path is better? The minor leagues or going to college? A look at baseball will shock many to find how many superstars actually went to college rather than straight into the pros! And baseball has ten times the amount of busts basketball has.

A coach should never back off recruiting a player just because the media labels him as a one and done!

I don't deny that Painter probably wanted JJJ more and that even I wanted JJJ the most out of the incoming players. That wasn't my point. My point is that Haarms is the perfect fit and he has been a large factor in the current success. Painter was very fortunate to land Haarms and get the contribution he is getting and benefited from bringing him in early. I wouldn't do anything to change the current chemistry because I know it's working. This team is better than last year after losing the runner-up player of the year. What makes you think adding a player that is less than that would make Purdue better? That's crazy talk.

It doesn't matter to me what JJJ and Romeo do in the NBA. Do they get their team to the promise land? Yet to be seen. If this team wins a championship with the current players, then I could care less about who didn't come here. I am worried about who we got and I love who we got. Off to one of the best starts in their history, Dan Dakich said it's the best team Purdue has had. These things excite me. Next step, win the National Championship and all that other stuff will matter none.
My point is Painter could have easily had both JJJ and Haarms and almost did! It was never an either or! It was Haarms or Epperson, not Haarms or JJJ! Haarms has worked out well! But I believe Haarms and JJJ could have worked out even better!

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Something not discused much is chemistry ! This year's team plays off each other! Haarms and Eastern blend in well with the other current players! Would JJJ have been able to blend or would he have upset our chemistry? We talk about what our backcourt would look like next year. What would the chemistry be like if we added Langford to that mix? Would Edwards and Eastern be happy? Stephens, Macy, Scott, and Taylor all left because of chemistry issues. Sometimes adding a 5 star creates more headaches than wins

Think about that statement...lol!
What about it? Obviously the IU sites could have bias, but he was referencing an iu fan as his source. If said iu fan followed recruiting, he would get his information from an IU recruiting site. Since said iu fan said it was 75/25, then he or she does not follow IU basketball recruiting.

What about it? Obviously the IU sites could have bias, but he was referencing an iu fan as his source. If said iu fan followed recruiting, he would get his information from an IU recruiting site. Since said iu fan said it was 75/25, then he or she does not follow IU basketball recruiting.

I thought it was pretty clear what I was referencing... Just one short statement and one short answer....Everyone else had no problem figuring it out. My apologizes if it confused you.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Will J-cubed really be a one and done? In the relatively few games of MSU that I have seen he has not been a huge factor.

He is a talented player and his presence would likely be a positive for Purdue next year. However, in this year it is not obvious. If he starts who sits? VE snd Haas are locks, meaning one of Mathias, Thompson or CE does not. Thompson is the best ball handler and passer. Mathias and CE are huge offensive threats. Team chemistry is great this year. J-cubed's desire to start so he could be a one-and-done would very likely have messed with what is presently working.

Next year is a very different story. I can see great value from him then. But I really question this year.

Will J-cubed really be a one and done? In the relatively few games of MSU that I have seen he has not been a huge factor.

He is a talented player and his presence would likely be a positive for Purdue next year. However, in this year it is not obvious. If he starts who sits? VE snd Haas are locks, meaning one of Mathias, Thompson or CE does not. Thompson is the best ball handler and passer. Mathias and CE are huge offensive threats. Team chemistry is great this year. J-cubed's desire to start so he could be a one-and-done would very likely have messed with what is presently working.

Next year is a very different story. I can see great value from him then. But I really question this year.
He would have had time to really mess with the current bunch while preparing and playing in the WUG.

I thought it was pretty clear what I was referencing... Just one short statement and one short answer....Everyone else had no problem figuring it out. My apologizes if it confused you.
I mean obviously you were suggesting iu recruiting sites were biased. I gave you the reason that I used the iu sites as a source. Apologies if it confused you.

Fair enough. I probably should’ve said every game will be televised, and people will actually watch lol.

Naturally, perfect situation is subjective. Had Louisville not screwed themselves, I would’ve said that was the perfect situation for him. Given the circumstances, I think IU makes more sense at this point. But ultimately it’s about his preferences and he’s done a pretty good job at not letting those be known.

As I said before, I still think he ends up at Vandy. IU plays the “home state” angle, but the New Albany kids I knew at IU associated themselves with KY more than they did IN. And almost all of them grew up UL fans.

There is no reason why Vanderbilt cannot become a Stanford or Duke should the university decide to aggressively pursue that status. By that I mean a very good academic institution that has good teams. It already has the academic status, just needs the athletic status.

There is no reason why Vanderbilt cannot become a Stanford or Duke should the university decide to aggressively pursue that status. By that I mean a very good academic institution that has good teams. It already has the academic status, just needs the athletic status.

It’s possible, but Duke accomplished it with basketball in a basketball state and Stanford did it with football in a football state. Tennessee isn’t exactly what I’d call a basketball state. And frankly, I don’t want to see it because I don’t want Drew poaching Indiana’s players. I’d rather see them go to PU.

I believe it is hypocritical to say how much you want a specific one and done player in one thread. And then post in a different thread. How you believe we don't need or want a one anddone type of player!

I'm not even using hindsight! If Romeo listed Purdue, you know everyone on this board would want Painter to sign him . And those same posters are the ones saying our team is great without one and done players
Not following why those two are mutually exclusive. Our team is great with no one and dones right now. But we sure as hell could make use of Romeo on the wing next year. Is it the fact that people didn’t realize we would reach this level and have since adjusted their thinking accordingly that bothers you?

Reactions: Wolegib

Maybe (probably?) it's my crimson-tinted glasses, but:

I think he was a likely Vandy commit (even though Vandy is a Nike school) until four significant things changed:
  1. Simi Shittu recently had what may be a major knee injury.
  2. Rob Phinisee developed physically and became far more dominant
  3. Archie Miller took a team with significant limitations and so far has met or exceeded expectations
  4. Bryce Drew took a team with real potential and experience and is currently 6-12 with that group. He's killed their fan support this year, and they've stunk even with no significant injuries.
I think that Kansas's logjam at the two/three and their potential NCAA issues are relatively minor points, but that Kansas's distance from New Albany is a real issue.

Where he'll end up? Beats me. I like IU's chances IF items three and four from my list more or less hold true throughout the season. I have full faith that Drew will not turn it around, but Archie has a tall task with IU's upcoming schedule.
Getting killed by ISU and Fort Wayne at home is meeting or exceeding expectations? And you call yourself a blue blood? Lol!

Reactions: Schnelk
This is the first time I can remember Kansas finishing in the top 3 in the recruitment of an Indiana HS player. Obviously IU is in there but it made me think if Purdue recruited Romeo? Because Purdue is a much more attractive destination in state at the moment.
Watching the New Albany Princeton game on ESPN:
Romeo takes a lot of bad shots and always drives to his right. Seems a bit soft too. Defense is non existent. Kid going to Syracuse is a gamer - like his game a lot.

He's one of the best (if not the best) players to ever come out of Indiana. No matter where he goes next year he will be a top 10 pick. Go back and look at all the recent nba drafts. Almost all lottery picks are one and done players. We aren't talking about just a top 100 player. We are talking about a top 10 player and the best guard in the class. There is a big difference between a top 10 player and someone ranked 50+.
100% agree. He is right there with Larry Bird and Glen Robinson. And about 30 others if I wanted to think that hard.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
100% agree. He is right there with Larry Bird and Glen Robinson. And about 30 others if I wanted to think that hard.

Lol Langford is good, no doubt. Best ever out of Indiana? No way. (I realize you were being sarcastic with the 100% comment, just agreeing with you.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT