ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo Langford

I don't know where he's going but I find it hard to believe that Romeo isn't pretty sure in his decision by now. And it's hard to interpret Sunday's visit to IU as anything but a good sign.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Popcorn in the bowl. Soda with ice at it's side.

latest

IU board makes it seems like IU is the only logical choice, when really one would think neither would be a best fit fir a one and done.

This is the first time I can remember Kansas finishing in the top 3 in the recruitment of an Indiana HS player. Obviously IU is in there but it made me think if Purdue recruited Romeo? Because Purdue is a much more attractive destination in state at the moment.
You obviously haven’t been around here that long. When Clyde Lovelette committed to Kansas, the thread on here was 37 pages long. And that was with each response typed single spaced on a Smith Corona.

When the discussion goes to which shoe company he favors, what people are really saying is that the player is taking shoe money to go to a certain school. If I understand the play, it's done with the idea that he will eventually turn pro and endorse the shoe company that "supported" him so well.

Somebody said he was an Adidas kid. If that's true, no way he would consider Purdue. There would be no money in it. If you think a couple arrests by the FBI have stopped the shoe companies from corrupting college basketball, you are living in a dream world. Until a CEO or two gets caught, this is going to continue. It puts an asterisk next to any NC those schools win in my mind.

When the discussion goes to which shoe company he favors, what people are really saying is that the player is taking shoe money to go to a certain school. If I understand the play, it's done with the idea that he will eventually turn pro and endorse the shoe company that "supported" him so well.

Somebody said he was an Adidas kid. If that's true, no way he would consider Purdue. There would be no money in it. If you think a couple arrests by the FBI have stopped the shoe companies from corrupting college basketball, you are living in a dream world. Until a CEO or two gets caught, this is going to continue. It puts an asterisk next to any NC those schools win in my mind.
I can only speak for the big time recruits that have been linked to shoe companies that have been at KU. I think for the most part this whole he is an Adidas or Nike kid doesn't always mean much. For instance, a number of people said Josh Jackson was going to KU because we are sponsored by Adidas and he will sign a multi million dollar deal after his one year at KU, well he signed with Under Armour. Same thing with Joel Embiid and Adidias, well he signed with Nike. These can often be rumors with them being factual only once in a while.

There is absolutely some schools that break the rules and pay players, Louisville was not a shock at all because of who there coach is and that whole mess they got into with the KFC arena. However, I personally don't think the blue blood schools (Duke,UK,KU) do any such thing, they simply don't have to.

So what shoe company owns Purdue ? Keds ?? Florshiem ? hush puppies ? pic WaY ?

The question is... do we really want a 1 & done? CMP has proved successful at developing 4* 4 year players & Purdue has struggled when he's had players leave or transfer after a year or 2.

The question is... do we really want a 1 & done? CMP has proved successful at developing 4* 4 year players & Purdue has struggled when he's had players leave or transfer after a year or 2.
I think Painter does very well with recruiting to his system. However, I do think for Purdue to take the next step a higher influx of talent needs to be mixed in with the good 3/4 year players. Just my opinion

But the struggle wasn't the result of those players leaving/transferring. In most cases they WERE the issue. Swanigan left after 2 years, we are doing ok. Smotherman transferred out last year, still ok. Kendall Stephens after only 2 years, we have been just fine.

So to answer your question, yes we do. Why wouldn't we want the best players possible?

But the struggle wasn't the result of those players leaving/transferring. In most cases they WERE the issue. Swanigan left after 2 years, we are doing ok. Smotherman transferred out last year, still ok. Kendall Stephens after only 2 years, we have been just fine.

So to answer your question, yes we do. Why wouldn't we want the best players possible?
I just don't think they fit CMP's coaching style. CMP may be the best recruiter Purdue has had & I'm okay with us not getting 1 & done players as long as we are getting 4* 4 year players.

I just don't think they fit CMP's coaching style. CMP may be the best recruiter Purdue has had & I'm okay with us not getting 1 & done players as long as we are getting 4* 4 year players.
Not saying you need 1 and done type players but more talent. 2-3 players in the top 75 every class is what I'm saying. No reason Purdue cant build of this success of the past two seasons and consistently have a top 15 recruiting class every season from here on forward.

Yes, we want as many of those type of players that we can possibly get. McDonald's All-american's win championships.

I am always astounded by the focus upon the term "blue-blood" as if that is a good thing. While the term referred to European nobility, those "blue-bloods" were overrated, genetically challenged because of in-breeding and basically a waste of humanity to anyone familiar with history. I always laugh when people use the term because I am convinced they do not realize the full implications of it. Evidently history is not taught today the way it used to be.

Yes, we want as many of those type of players that we can possibly get. McDonald's All-american's win championships.
We're currently the favorite to win it all without any. Didn't UConn win it a few years ago without any also. Butler came within inches of winning it all without any as well. Maryland in 02 won it without any as well.

I think if we win it all,with the exposure we will get, Carson will consider leaving early. I believe that Haarms has the potential to leave early, also . Not this year , but next year .
Once carsen goes to the combine, he'll reconsider. My crystal ball is never wrong. Haarms loves school too much to take a low level draft - although his age may play a part. He likes this situation a lot more than an eastern european team.

We're currently the favorite to win it all without any. Didn't UConn win it a few years ago without any also. Butler came within inches of winning it all without any as well. Maryland in 02 won it without any as well.
2 teams since 1978 have won without a McDonald's All-american. The Uconn team had 5 star Deandre Daniels who wasn't eligible to be a McDonald's All-american, because he went to prep school.

I believe the answer is yes. and I believe Painter actually recruits one and done players.

Painter actually did recruit Romeo, although Romeo had no interest in Purdue. I believe if Romeo had shown any interest in Purdue, Painter would still be recruiting him. if purdue was in Romeo's final 3, you can bet Painter would be trying his best to bring him to Purdue. I doubt painter shies away from one and done players.

Painter recruited both Swanigan and JJJ. and throughout their recruitment, both players were labeled by the recruiting media as one and done type players. Painter knew perfectly well that both players could leave after one year, but he still went after both players. And despite what most people here want to believe, if Swanigan had a guarantee after his first year of being a first round pick, I believe he would have left after one year. The reason he originally came to Purdue and the reason he came back was a business decision. And he has publically admitted it.

Look at JJJ. is there a poster on this board that believed JJJ had anything else on his mind when he was being recruited other than being a one and done? he may end up staying in college for two years. But when he was being recruited in high school, his plan was to be a one and done.

And that's the same with Romeo. Romeo's current plan is not to be a 3 time all American. if a team recruits Romeo, it should be obvious what his plan is. if after one year he gets an NBA offer, he's gone. and yet, many successful college coaches still want to recruit him.

I believe the answer is yes. and I believe Painter actually recruits one and done players.

Painter actually did recruit Romeo, although Romeo had no interest in Purdue. I believe if Romeo had shown any interest in Purdue, Painter would still be recruiting him. if purdue was in Romeo's final 3, you can bet Painter would be trying his best to bring him to Purdue. I doubt painter shies away from one and done players.

Painter recruited both Swanigan and JJJ. and throughout their recruitment, both players were labeled by the recruiting media as one and done type players. Painter knew perfectly well that both players could leave after one year, but he still went after both players. And despite what most people here want to believe, if Swanigan had a guarantee after his first year of being a first round pick, I believe he would have left after one year. The reason he originally came to Purdue and the reason he came back was a business decision. And he has publically admitted it.

Look at JJJ. is there a poster on this board that believed JJJ had anything else on his mind when he was being recruited other than being a one and done? he may end up staying in college for two years. But when he was being recruited in high school, his plan was to be a one and done.

And that's the same with Romeo. Romeo's current plan is not to be a 3 time all American. if a team recruits Romeo, it should be obvious what his plan is. if after one year he gets an NBA offer, he's gone. and yet, many successful college coaches still want to recruit him.
JJJ brings up a thread derailing question...what if we had got him? I struggle with how he’d fit into this rotation. I was as bummed as anyone that he passed on us. And he’s clearly a special player. But he would be a tough fit. He’d obviously get plenty of minutes...but I struggle imagining it.

2 teams since 1978 have won without a McDonald's All-american. The Uconn team had 5 star Deandre Daniels who wasn't eligible to be a McDonald's All-american, because he went to prep school.
I have had lots of complaints about CMP in the past, but recruiting is not one of them. I think he's done fine. That said, if we get some one & done's, so be it. I'm not going to lose sleep over it because I do think this team is capable of winning it all.

Reactions: Boilersss
I have had lots of complaints about CMP in the past, but recruiting is not one of them. I think he's done fine. That said, if we get some one & done's, so be it. I'm not going to lose sleep over it because I do think this team is capable of winning it all.
This just shows how fans differ. My only complaint with CMP has been recruiting.

Reactions: DG10
This just shows how fans differ. My only complaint with CMP has been recruiting.
I guess if you look to get MC AA, then he is a disappointment. I use to think that was important, but CMP has proved we can be a top 3 team without them. He's done it twice with the baby boilers & this group. He's found players like Kramer, PJ & Haarms that were 3* kids that were highly under rated & kids like Hummel, Carsen & Vince that were 4* & turned them into potential all Americans. His in game coaching... That will be my beef with him until we get at least to a FF. This years team, that has to be the floor.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I guess if you look to get MC AA, then he is a disappointment. I use to think that was important, but CMP has proved we can be a top 3 team without them. He's done it twice with the baby boilers & this group. He's found players like Kramer, PJ & Haarms that were 3* kids that were highly under rated & kids like Hummel, Carsen & Vince that were 4* & turned them into potential all Americans. His in game coaching... That will be my beef with him until we get at least to a FF. This years team, that has to be the floor.
He has proven that he can get teams to top 5 in the country. The problem for me is that it's only happened with 2 teams in 13 years. I think better recruiting would solve that issue, but I'm going to enjoy the ride with this team while they are here.

Reactions: DG10
He has proven that he can get teams to top 5 in the country. The problem for me is that it's only happened with 2 teams in 13 years. I think better recruiting would solve that issue, but I'm going to enjoy the ride with this team while they are here.
Crean recruited great for IU, yet how many times were they in the top 5. My guess is similar. Unless you win it all, you will not get the respect of the rankings. There are lots of team ranked in the top 5 each year that I just shake my head at. They get there on reputation alone.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
IU board makes it seems like IU is the only logical choice, when really one would think neither would be a best fit fir a one and done.

IU actually would be a perfect fit for Romeo if he wants to be one-and-done. Every game is televised with ~1/3 being national (ESPN or CBS), he’d start from day 1, and he’d be the focal point. Any concerns he may have had with the PG situation have probably been eliminated with the year Phinisee is having.

That being said, I personally think he ends up at Vanderbilt.

I think "better" recruiting would compromise some things:
1. ethics. Matt doesn't promise what he can't deliver ..... others do
2. The FBI probe - never scared me in the least.
3. reputation - so far so good, even with sauce sloshing around ... none ever spilled over.
4. education and manhood - I've fought with some on this board, but Matt will NOT, simply will NOT, put-up with a boy not mannning-up. There has been a lot of debate on this board about benching players. Get over it. Matt will bench a guy for not adhering to his commitment ... we may not know what that commitment is, but Matt and the player do ...
5. respect. whatever that means to the player/coach. I enjoyed the recent thread about Matt and Carsen maximizing the coach/player relationship.

The best Indiana player to go Kansas-Way back when Clyde Lovellette from Terre Haute Garfield played for Phog(also he and the entire Kansas starting five were on the Olympic team in 1952 where he was the leading scorer)I think his backup(Olympic) was Bob "Foothills" Kurland(Phillips 66 and Oklahoma A&M).

so.. what would your thoughts be if JJJ chose Purdue? Would he have started? Would he have stayed after this year? painter sure seemed to make him a recruiting priority even with the knowledge/rumor he could be a one and done player.

as fans, would you have welcomed JJJ if he was honest and upfront and said he only planned to be a one and done player? As fans would you welcome Romeo?

so.. what would your thoughts be if JJJ chose Purdue? Would he have started? Would he have stayed after this year? painter sure seemed to make him a recruiting priority even with the knowledge/rumor he could be a one and done player.

as fans, would you have welcomed JJJ if he was honest and upfront and said he only planned to be a one and done player? As fans would you welcome Romeo?
Yes, we wanted him. Yes, he would have started. Yes, he would still be a one and done.

With the exception of Biggie. We seem to have weathered that early exit quite well. One five star wing or guard every couple years would be a fine complement to what we do now.

This is the first time I can remember Kansas finishing in the top 3 in the recruitment of an Indiana HS player. Obviously IU is in there but it made me think if Purdue recruited Romeo? Because Purdue is a much more attractive destination in state at the moment.

Too young. Clyde Lovellette from Terre Haute

ADVERTISEMENT