ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Leon Burtnett

A tremendous DC, and as a HC his teams had some legendary players (Woodson, Everett, et al).
Had the opportunity to meet him a few times - a good, down to earth man. You could really see his defenses take on his personality and ferocity when he was the D Coordinator. Wish he would have been more successful as a Head Coach at Purdue.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Purdue85
Sad to hear of Coach Burtnett's passing....I met him once while a student. A great defensive coach under former coach Jim Young and beyond, and perhaps he struggled with the different role as a head coach. That '84 season was a heck of an unexpected ride, and I'll always remember being in the stands during the "Woodson Bowl." RIP, Mr. Leon Burtnett.....prayers to his family.

Reactions: SKYDOG and TX4GB
Sad that he bounced around at different schools after he left here. Coaching gig is pretty volatile. Jim Everett year in ‘84 was good.

Defeating Notre Dame (Hoosier Dome Christening), Ohio State (unbeaten ranked #2), and Michigan (holding off a furious Wolverine rally).....good times indeed.

One of my favorite games attended.....around 29:18 for Rod Woodson's interception return TD, and then around 37:20 for Tomczak's throw away toss on fourth down, and the bedlam ensued.

Sad that he bounced around at different schools after he left here. Coaching gig is pretty volatile. Jim Everett year in ‘84 was good.
That '84 season was awesome. That team was better than the 7-5 record.

Beating ND in the first game in the Hoosier Dome ... following it up with wins over OSU and UM.

We were clearly over-matched against #5 Miami. Jimmy Johnson had taken over for Howard Snellenberger, and they had that program really rolling by then.

Can't help but feel like we gave a couple away at Illinois and Wisconsin.

The bowl game vs UVa was a tough one to lose, but a fun atmosphere. UVa had two solid NFL players, in QB Don Majkowski and RB Barry Word, but we still could/should have won that game.

For Purdue, there were lots of studs on both sides of the ball. Off the top of my head, future NFL players included ...
Defense:
Rod Woodson
Cris Dishman
Fred Strickland
Don Anderson
Offense:
Jim Everett
Ray Wallace
Rodney Carter
Steve Griffin
Mark Jackson

Interesting piece of trivia... two short years later, one of those players would go on to make "the catch" to cap "The Drive", one of the most legendary drives in the history of the NFL. In the '86 AFC Championship game, John Elway drove the length of the field against the Cleveland Browns, and would hit former Purdue WR Mark Jackson for the TD, which would be the game winner.

Defeating Notre Dame (Hoosier Dome Christening), Ohio State (unbeaten ranked #2), and Michigan (holding off a furious Wolverine rally).....good times indeed.

One of my favorite games attended.....around 29:18 for Rod Woodson's interception return TD, and then around 37:20 for Tomczak's throw away toss on fourth down, and the bedlam ensued.

That Ohio St game is my earliest Gameday memory at Purdue. Dad had gotten us tickets (thanks Dad!)

Seeing all of the adults rush the field was amazing (college kids look like adults when you're only 9) Thanks for posting the vid...great memories of a good season.

RIP Coach Burtnett

Sportsman sounds right! Thanks
I think I bought that poster around the time Herschel Walker was traded from the Cowboys to the Vikings. Wow, what a trade it was for them Cowboys!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT