ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Caleb Swanigan

Shucks. A very sad day for me. Remembering how I loved his passion to get any rebound. He was such an inspiration that if you wanted something bad enough, you go and get it. I feel for his family also, those who gave him guidance, a chance, and that needed love.

Rest in Peace Mr. Swanigan. My fond memories of Purdue, and not just basketball, will always include you. Purdue family forever.

it's OK, Biggie! Let's it go! This world is sad place, we all know that we were born to suffer, basically, the longer you stay, the more you suffer. RIP

Anybody know of the charity he worked for to help the homeless? It would be a nice gesture if we could figure out and set up a go fund me (or something of the sort) in Caleb’s name just to show some extra love from the Purdue community. I know many of us would donate 50 in his honor. Hope that his child and family are set for life from his NBA contracts.

So tragic. Met him at a Texas Legends G league game. He was nice and you could tell he was a gentle soul. He was all business on the court at Purdue. I remember him tweeting “We got this” or something to that effect before a game at East Lansing when our fans were melting down about something. We won it due to his leadership in a hostile environment especially with how the recruitment went. I have the Sports Illustrated somewhere with his story in it.

I loved watching him play and seemingly overcome his battles during college play.

Just another reminder to treat each day as a gift and be squared away with God through His Son, Jesus. Peace awaits those who do. And while you are free to believe in what you want as time will prove who is right, but I'd take the Word of the Man who came, died, and was resurrected.
Amen brother

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I've been struggling with this all day. What was the turning point? To be living his NBA dream, then choosing not to return to the "bubble" during the Covid hysteria. How did a man with amazing self discipline for so many years suddenly lose it? There had to be something or other negative influences that triggered the turn. We may never know, but most importantly RIP Biggie.

I've been struggling with this all day. What was the turning point? To be living his NBA dream, then choosing not to return to the "bubble" during the Covid hysteria. How did a man with amazing self discipline for so many years suddenly lose it? There had to be something or other negative influences that triggered the turn. We may never know, but most importantly RIP Biggie.
Probably a number of things. But it also goes to show the crazy discipline he had in college because it obviously was not easy for him to keep in shape. But I definitely would agree with leaving the bubble being a turning point. It was honestly a shock to me that a guy who had put in so much work and accomplished so much just decided to leave the NBA and completely let himself go. From what I understood he was breaking into the rotation in Portland and actually becoming a pretty decent role player. Would probably still be in the NBA if he was able to keep down the right path. Tragic story from beginning to end.

I remember this USA under 19 team. When Biggie was playing along side Jayson Tatum, Jalen Brunson, and Harry Giles (stud before injuries):

Anybody know of the charity he worked for to help the homeless? It would be a nice gesture if we could figure out and set up a go fund me (or something of the sort) in Caleb’s name just to show some extra love from the Purdue community. I know many of us would donate 50 in his honor. Hope that his child and family are set for life from his NBA contracts.
I agree with you that it would be a nice gesture and possibly very helpful. Apparently, he has a son so a Go Fund me to finance the child's schooling might be helpful if that has not already been done. I am sure people at Purdue are thinking about this and will, hopefully, make some suggestions or possibly set up a scholarship or ???.

Reactions: drewjin
I have to believe Covid hysteria, as you say, played some part. The fear mongering of the media (msm and social) and political rhetoric are responsible for an increase in mental health issues since March 2020. And the isolation of people from their support systems and even simple routines has increased feelings of isolation, fear, hopelessness for many people already struggling. We may never know what kind of impact any of that had on Biggie personally, but for many people like him it is the truth.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
He had the gas pedal to the floor for 5 or 6 years. He was red-lining his body, mind and spirit for so long and COVID came along and gave him an excuse to let off the gas. Once he let off the gas, he couldn't get going again.

It was well documented that he had demons...you don't come from where he came from without some baggage. His got the better of him eventually.

The bubble year was hard on a lot of people. That sh!t cost society a lot. We will never know how much. I know it was very hard my family. My kids took a step back. Nearly drove my wife nuts. Most of us had to wear protective gear nonstop. What a terrible year.

The bubble year was hard on a lot of people. That sh!t cost society a lot. We will never know how much. I know it was very hard my family. My kids took a step back. Nearly drove my wife nuts. Most of us had to wear protective gear nonstop. What a terrible year.
I've heard this from many people, but it was 100% the flip side for my family. We thrived during lockdown and now we're keeping that momentum going.

I've heard this from many people, but it was 100% the flip side for my family. We thrived during lockdown and now we're keeping that momentum going.
Um okay…good for you and yours? Appreciate your thoughtful interjection to a reflective and mournful thread about a young, lost life.

I left out that my wife had a recurrence of brain cancer. It was a sketchy time for what to do. Wether she needed treatment…getting the vaccine or not. Trying not to get her sick or sicker. God that whole time sucked. Things are good right now. Certainly better. Sorry to derail the thread.,RIP biggie. God bless everyone.

I left out that my wife had a recurrence of brain cancer. It was a sketchy time for what to do. Wether she needed treatment…getting the vaccine or not. Trying not to get her sick or sicker. God that whole time sucked. Things are good right now. Certainly better. Sorry to derail the thread.,RIP biggie. God bless everyone.
Sorry life got so bumpy for you. Those sound like difficult times or you and your family. Glad things are okay for you now.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Never forget...

Biggie2_zps1xylgv2x.jpg

Biggie3_zpszcupwja8.jpg

Rest easy Biggie. Thx for the great memories.

ADVERTISEMENT