ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Caleb Swanigan

He had gained a lot of weight after he left the NBA. You never know what someone is going through in their life. Regardless of all the things that came after his time at Purdue, I feel for the man and his family. Thank you Biggie, for everything that you did for us. I hope you rest in peace.

Just awful. Caleb Swanigan saw and experienced things in his brief life that nobody should see or experience.

He set the standard for hard work and dedication when he was in the loving embrace of the Purdue program...he was one of those guys who you wish never had to leave.

He gave us many thrills and earned every accolade that came his way. He was an inspiring figure.

We loved him and can only hope his soul is at peace now.

Hearing through back channels that his blood glucose was over 1700!
Would not surprise me. I'd be shocked if he wasn't diabetic with his rapid weight gain. It's a terrible disease that affects many today. Our diets and lack of physical activity in society contribute to the rise. What a tragic loss for someone who had seemed to overcome his early life to arise to greatness. May he rest in peace without the demons that have chased him.

How does a 25 year old die of natural causes? This is very sad.
I was just about to post the same thing. There's nothing natural about dying at 25.
This was posted on the premium board:

"Found unconscious by the mother of his son. Had reached 600+ pounds and was severely diabetic and didn’t treat it. Organs were shutting doen snd had a cardiac event that took his life."

Awful, awful news and a truly tragic end to his story.
Goes to show just how strong of an impact early influences and role models can have on people. Despite turning his life around, embracing the hard work and the positive support structure from Barnes and his Purdue family, there were demons lurking. Just makes my heart wrench. F&ck.

I loved watching him play and seemingly overcome his battles during college play.

Just another reminder to treat each day as a gift and be squared away with God through His Son, Jesus. Peace awaits those who do. And while you are free to believe in what you want as time will prove who is right, but I'd take the Word of the Man who came, died, and was resurrected.

So very sad indeed...

He was a really good kid with an incredible life story...one that is over, but, never really finished.

He experienced more in 25 years than some have in 100...lots of good and lots of bad/sad.

One of the nicest young men...had the pleasure of him visiting my home one time, and, he could not have been more pleasant, respectful or kind...he was indeed a gentle giant.

COVID really set him back unfortunately.

He had a dream to make it to the NBA, but, his true dream in life was to be a teacher and it is too bad that dream was not recognized as he could/would have been impactful and made a difference in kids lives likely.

He absolutely set the standard for hard work...on the floor, and, off...lived in the weight room/gym and graduated in 3 years...was an Academic All-American as well as being an All-American for his efforts on the floor. He was a tremendous player, and, a pretty tremendous young man as well.

His journey to Purdue and the NBA was an incredibly difficult one, but, quite the story.

So very sad that he was taken too soon...25...pretty crazy...RIP Biggie, and, I hope that he FINALLY has genuine peace and those demons that others have referenced are gone once and for all.

The structure of rules, discipline and being held accountable, of most college programs, to me, is often overlooked as a huge benefit to many. The real world as we all know can be very tough and cruel. This news really stinks. RIP Caleb.

This is just heartbreakingly sad and tragic news. We are all too often reminded of the fragility of life when someone departs us so young. After all this young man endured, overcoming obesity and other adversity, then finding triumph with an adoptive father.....making his dream come true to play in the NBA....all the hard work and effort he put in to try and better his life.....but as we know, sometimes there is a different plan.

Many of us I would think will always remember his two years as the consummate Boilermaker......an absolute work-your-tail off competitor and a beast on the boards....

Rest in Peace, Caleb "Biggie" Swanigan.....gone too soon. Prayers to his family and the entire Boilermaker community.

9797885-caleb-swanigan-ncaa-basketball-wisconsin-purdue-1-842x560.jpg

Last edited:
This was posted on the premium board:

"Found unconscious by the mother of his son. Had reached 600+ pounds and was severely diabetic and didn’t treat it. Organs were shutting doen snd had a cardiac event that took his life."
Weird: A music video he put out in late April, 2022 shows him with his weight all the way back down. I suppose the video may have been filmed much, much earlier.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT