ADVERTISEMENT

RIp Billy Packer

Never cared for his announcing. He always just sounded angry to me. But certainly a legend of the game. RIP.

Sorry to hear of his passing.....prayers to his family.

He did have a different style, and I agree he knew the game and worked at his knowledge. I think what really helped is that early on Dick Enberg (and Curt Gowdy before he retired) were so good and helped Billy Packer establish himself......then later, Bender/Musberger/Nantz took over the play-by-play. The handful with Al McGuire made it work better to me.

RIP, Billy Packer.

DRrEW6TV4AARzMq.jpg

He did have a different style, and I agree he knew the game and worked at his knowledge. I think what really helped is that early on Dick Enberg (and Curt Gowdy before he retired) were so good and helped Billy Packer establish himself......then later, Bender/Musberger/Nantz took over the play-by-play. The handful with Al McGuire made it work better to me.

RIP, Billy Packer.

DRrEW6TV4AARzMq.jpg
When you had them calling a game, you knew it was a big one. Loved that era of college hoops!

RIP, Billy Packer.

DRrEW6TV4AARzMq.jpg
Not sure how old you are, by chance do you remember how good DePaul was in the late 70’s/early 80’s? I remember WGN bringing their weeknight games, that was possibly all the college hoops I had until the weekends, I think my local PBS (Channel 50) brought some IU and Purdue games, that’s where those great Farm Bureau commercials came from. I miss those days, great era to grow up in!

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Not sure how old you are, by chance do you remember how good DePaul was in the late 70’s/early 80’s? I remember WGN bringing their weeknight games, that was possibly all the college hoops I had until the weekends, I think my local PBS (Channel 50) brought some IU and Purdue games, that’s where those great Farm Bureau commercials came from. I miss those days, great era to grow up in!
I'll be 67 in March. I grew up in the Lehigh Valley, where Packer went to H.S. and his dad coached at Lehigh. I was very fortunate enough see most of the televised Phila. college teams that made up the BIG 5 broadcast on Ch 17 out of Philly. LaSalle, Nova, Temple, St. Joe's and even Penn had a great run for 4 yrs. Most of the games were from the Palestra. Saw alot of great games during the week. Also was very fortunate that cable TV was found by John Walson who started Service Electric Cable based in Lehigh Valley.

Reactions: purduedavie

RIP, Billy Packer.

DRrEW6TV4AARzMq.jpg
liked these guys esp McGuire. His Marquette teams always had cool uni's in those days

Ray Meyer had some fantastic teams in those days, and ironically, I think he had a couple that were better than the one that did make it to the Final Four (Aguirre was a frosh), only to lose to Larry Bird and Indiana State in '79. That West Regional Final with UCLA in Tucson was outstanding. It would have been really interesting if DePaul had played Magic and Michigan State.

The '81 team with Aquirre might have been his most talented - #1-seed in '80, '81, and '82 and got knocked out in the Round of 32 each year.....heartache city. Among the players he had

Mark Aguirre
Gary Garland
Clyde Bradshaw
Terry Cummings
Skip Dillard
Tyrone Corbin
Kenny Patterson

Yes - those were the days.....and WE LIKED IT! Oh, btw, I'm pushing six decades, but they can't get rid of me yet. :)

dana-carvey-grumpy-old-man.gif

Ray Meyer had some fantastic teams in those days, and ironically, I think he had a couple that were better than the one that did make it to the Final Four (Aguirre was a frosh), only to lose to Larry Bird and Indiana State in '79. That West Regional Final with UCLA in Tucson was outstanding. It would have been really interesting if DePaul had played Magic and Michigan State.

The '81 team with Aquirre might have been his most talented - #1-seed in '80, '81, and '82 and got knocked out in the Round of 32 each year.....heartache city. Among the players he had

Mark Aguirre
Gary Garland
Clyde Bradshaw
Terry Cummings
Skip Dillard
Tyrone Corbin
Kenny Patterson

Yes - those were the days.....and WE LIKED IT! Oh, btw, I'm pushing six decades, but they can't get rid of me yet. :)

I remember WGN also carried some Notre Dame basketball games. I think DePaul and ND were both independents at the time.

Reactions: 4IUSox2

Mark Aguirre
Gary Garland
Clyde Bradshaw
Terry Cummings
Skip Dillard
Tyrone Corbin
Kenny Patterson

I remember seeing Indiana State in 79 on Channel 50 in Northwest Indiana win a game on a half court shot at the buzzer, a player named Reed maybe hit it?

Lots of good 70’s and early 80’s memories mentioned above…IU and PU games on channel 50 (studio was in the back of Lake Central HS) brought to you by Farm Bureau. DePaul and ND games on Channel 9. Good times, indeed.
Channel 50’s High School football scoreboard was a must see for a sports junkie on a Friday night!

ADVERTISEMENT