ADVERTISEMENT

Ridiculously Early Bracketology at ESPN

arcb102000

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
I do not see significant accuracy in this but mostly for information and (potential) amusement.

It has:

9 B1G teams in;
Purdue is a 4-seed;
IU is not in the field or in the first eight out.

Lots can happen that totally negate all of these predictions. As Twain observed: "Prediction is difficult, especially about the future."

Last edited:
The B1G is going to be really, really solid. And I actually think IU will be improved. I could see them making the tourney. I think we are somewhere around 3-5 in the league.
Depends on if Hunter can make it all the way back from his injury.

They have no inside game besides Davis and have no shooters. How can they be improved if their three best players leave?

Reactions: GregJM24
They have no inside game besides Davis and have no shooters. How can they be improved if their three best players leave?

Huh? They bring in a 5* big man and Green shot 41% from 3 last year and Durham improved from a 28% 3pt shooter as a freshman to a 36% shooter as a sophomore.

I do not see significant accuracy in this but mostly for information and (potential) amusement.

It has:

9 B1G teams in;
Purdue is a 4-seed;
IU is not in the field or in the first eight out.

Lots can happen that totally negate all of these predictions. As Twain observed: "Prediction is difficult, especially about the future."
Sounds more like a Yogi Berra comment!! LOL

Reactions: BleedinGold
Huh? They bring in a 5* big man and Green shot 41% from 3 last year and Durham improved from a 28% 3pt shooter as a freshman to a 36% shooter as a sophomore.
But .... but .... but ... It's IU. Elite. Bluebloods. Banners. Blah blah blah blah. Same old same old. Season after season. Same crap just different IU defenders over here trying to get validation from the fans of the team with a consistently better recent history.

And Green put his name in the draft. Likely he comes back but you are correct they have some good pieces. The question becomes can they fit and gel to create a cohesive unit on a consistent basis? If last season was any indication, Archie doesn't have that piece of coaching acumen in his arsenal right now. That isn't to say the players can't figure out themselves with great leadership...but where does that great leadership come from on that roster? They don't have a Nojel Eastern/Matt Haarms who are known leadership commodities. Possibly Phinisee but its hard to become a leader as a sophomore. The only only time I have seen it truly work within the Boiler program was Raphael Davis...and he might be the best leader Purdue has had since Cardinal.

But .... but .... but ... It's IU. Elite. Bluebloods. Banners. Blah blah blah blah. Same old same old. Season after season. Same crap just different IU defenders over here trying to get validation from the fans of the team with a consistently better recent history.

No one needs validation. Simply correcting a statement that claimed IU only had one inside presence and no shooters.

And Green put his name in the draft. Likely he comes back but you are correct they have some good pieces. The question becomes can they fit and gel to create a cohesive unit on a consistent basis? If last season was any indication, Archie doesn't have that piece of coaching acumen in his arsenal right now. That isn't to say the players can't figure out themselves with great leadership...but where does that great leadership come from on that roster? They don't have a Nojel Eastern/Matt Haarms who are known leadership commodities. Possibly Phinisee but its hard to become a leader as a sophomore. The only only time I have seen it truly work within the Boiler program was Raphael Davis...and he might be the best leader Purdue has had since Cardinal.

Really think Durham steps up. Consistently played as hard as anyone last year and was pretty vocal at times as an underclassmen. He'd be my prime candidate to step up and be the teams leader.

Really think Durham steps up. Consistently played as hard as anyone last year and was pretty vocal at times as an underclassmen. He'd be my prime candidate to step up and be the teams leader.
I think the question will be if TJD can buy in to not being the leader but being expected to be the guy. That's a hard dynamic to come off of from high school for a lot of guys. I know nothing about the young man personally so I can't comment on that aspect about him...all I can comment on is his skills I have seen from the games I have watched. I'm not sure he is an upgrade next year from what Morgan gave IU as a senior. It'll be hard to determine if Green/Durham can give was Romeo couldn't given Romeo's injury likely held him back a bit more than many believe. That being said, I think a fully healthy Romeo likely means 2 to 3 more victories in the regular season and a birth in the NCAA tourney.

IndyRes, where do you see IU having a distinct advantage against Purdue next season? Could it be known outside shooting with Green and Durham coming back? Green (41% on 117 att) and Durham (35% on 112 att) vs. Sasha (41% on 61 att) and Wheeler (37% on 85 att) but on a much smaller sample size when compared? Or do you think the numbers are negligible? The returning outside shooting is one argument I have seen from many IU fans regarding why Purdue will struggle vs. IU taking a step forward.

Agree. They will have enough talent to make the NCAA next year, but only if they can sell out to consistently play hard, hustle and play good defense. If they make the tournament Archie will have done a heck of a job.

I hope IU does just well enough to get a 8/9 seed as Archie’s seat will be on fire at that point if they miss the tourney again, in year 3 for him. He’ll never do anything significant there; just need Glass to keep hoping the tide will turn which it never will and keep a good coach from taking that job.

I think the question will be if TJD can buy in to not being the leader but being expected to be the guy. That's a hard dynamic to come off of from high school for a lot of guys. I know nothing about the young man personally so I can't comment on that aspect about him...all I can comment on is his skills I have seen from the games I have watched. I'm not sure he is an upgrade next year from what Morgan gave IU as a senior. It'll be hard to determine if Green/Durham can give was Romeo couldn't given Romeo's injury likely held him back a bit more than many believe. That being said, I think a fully healthy Romeo likely means 2 to 3 more victories in the regular season and a birth in the NCAA tourney.

IndyRes, where do you see IU having a distinct advantage against Purdue next season? Could it be known outside shooting with Green and Durham coming back? Green (41% on 117 att) and Durham (35% on 112 att) vs. Sasha (41% on 61 att) and Wheeler (37% on 85 att) but on a much smaller sample size when compared? Or do you think the numbers are negligible? The returning outside shooting is one argument I have seen from many IU fans regarding why Purdue will struggle vs. IU taking a step forward.

I just think IU will be de-facto better because Archie has another full year to get his own guys in his system in place. When Archie took the job a little over 2 years ago, he didn't have any room to maneuver the roster. Every player on the team in his first year was recruited by Crean. Crean and Archie run two completely contrasting systems with very different philosophies. It not only takes some time to get your own guys in place, but it takes awhile to get some of the old guys to buy-in. I think this is the year where everybody on the team has finally bought in. I like the fact that Indiana has 3 remaining scholarships that Archie can use this year to fill immediate needs.

As to your question, I'm not so sure I can answer the question as to where IU has a distinct advantage over Purdue. But again I haven't said Indiana is definitely going to be better than Purdue this year; only claimed there isn't going to be a massive drop off because Morgan and Romeo are gone. I do like our trio of guards however in Phinisee, Durham, and Green. All have different skill sets yet can defend. Another year of maturation in Archie's system could be monumental. Assuming there's no setbacks, D Davis will be as healthy as he's ever going to be. He played great down the stretch averaging nearly double figures and converting almost 70% of his shots. I think TJD will follow suit as many other 5* freshman in this league have done in recent years and that's a double-digit scorer who rebounds and defends the rim well. Guys like Thompson and Hunter who were sideline almost the entire year have a bunch of upside and if healthy can be real contributors. Someone like Justin Smith has shown a ton of promise in his first two years, just a matter of how consistently he can put it together. You can call me a homer or delusional all you want, but there's definitely pieces already on the roster for Indiana to make noise next year and the roster isn't yet complete.

Reactions: Henry_Rosenthal
I still think the expectation for Purdue should be1-3 in the league and another shot at the sweet 16.

Last year Purdue was very reliant on the 3. When it wasn’t falling, they lost. With Carsen and Cline leaving, they will rely more on attacking the basket and they have the athletes to do it. Cline, Grady, and Carsen were not good perimeter defenders. Of the 3, I would say Carsen was the best. I think Hunter and Sasha will be better at defending and I am hoping they get another grad transfer 3 and Newman can contribute immediately.

Haarms, Williams, Eastern, Wheeler have all shown flashes of really good talent and will all have another year. I expect Sasha and Hunter to take a step forward as well. If Dow is serviceable as a backup, Newman can contribute right away, and there is a graduate transfer that can contribute, the step back won’t be much. The ceiling may be a little lower, but I think the floor will be much higher. Lots of other teams in the Big lose important pieces, and I love the core that Purdue is bringing back.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I just think IU will be de-facto better because Archie has another full year to get his own guys in his system in place. When Archie took the job a little over 2 years ago, he didn't have any room to maneuver the roster. Every player on the team in his first year was recruited by Crean. Crean and Archie run two completely contrasting systems with very different philosophies. It not only takes some time to get your own guys in place, but it takes awhile to get some of the old guys to buy-in. I think this is the year where everybody on the team has finally bought in. I like the fact that Indiana has 3 remaining scholarships that Archie can use this year to fill immediate needs.

As to your question, I'm not so sure I can answer the question as to where IU has a distinct advantage over Purdue. But again I haven't said Indiana is definitely going to be better than Purdue this year; only claimed there isn't going to be a massive drop off because Morgan and Romeo are gone. I do like our trio of guards however in Phinisee, Durham, and Green. All have different skill sets yet can defend. Another year of maturation in Archie's system could be monumental. Assuming there's no setbacks, D Davis will be as healthy as he's ever going to be. He played great down the stretch averaging nearly double figures and converting almost 70% of his shots. I think TJD will follow suit as many other 5* freshman in this league have done in recent years and that's a double-digit scorer who rebounds and defends the rim well. Guys like Thompson and Hunter who were sideline almost the entire year have a bunch of upside and if healthy can be real contributors. Someone like Justin Smith has shown a ton of promise in his first two years, just a matter of how consistently he can put it together. You can call me a homer or delusional all you want, but there's definitely pieces already on the roster for Indiana to make noise next year and the roster isn't yet complete.

This seems pretty spot on in my opinion. As bad as IU was this year, they had a really good defense which is likely a result of coaching and system. I suspect there were a lot of internal troubles that most of the general public aren't aware of (outside of pure rumor and speculation) that caused them to go off the rails in the second half of the season. Most of that isn't a result of coaching.

Just so I don't get jumped on by not speaking horrible things about IU on a Purdue board (I am a Purdue grad), I think Purdue is going to be really, really good next year.

Archie will be let go and then excitement over another new coach resulting in more movements to keep the oblivious recruits coming in.

Tjd is soft as a baby's bottom, just like every other iu player. Nit bound if they are lucky. They will be lucky to be .500, especially if Greene goes overseas or transfers.

Tjd is soft as a baby's bottom, just like every other iu player. Nit bound if they are lucky. They will be lucky to be .500, especially if Greene goes overseas or transfers.

Funny he wasn’t as soft as a baby’s bottom when Purdue was actively pursuing him.

No one needs validation. Simply correcting a statement that claimed IU only had one inside presence and no shooters.

I sometimes read the IU Rivals page and am just kind of curious. I read one of your posts there earlier today and it was your 4th post. But here you have nearly 130! I think you could see why it's been mentioned that you seem to seek some sort of validation...

Do you not think it's a bit odd to have only 4 posts on your school's page while having nearly 130 in a few week's time, here?

Reactions: PurdueGator
I sometimes read the IU Rivals page and am just kind of curious. I read one of your posts there earlier today and it was your 4th post. But here you have nearly 130! I think you could see why it's been mentioned that you seem to seek some sort of validation...

Do you not think it's a bit odd to have only 4 posts on your school's page while having nearly 130 in a few week's time, here?

Considering I have over 3,000 on Inside The Hall spanning almost 10 years. No

I still think the expectation for Purdue should be1-3 in the league and another shot at the sweet 16.

Last year Purdue was very reliant on the 3. When it wasn’t falling, they lost. With Carsen and Cline leaving, they will rely more on attacking the basket and they have the athletes to do it. Cline, Grady, and Carsen were not good perimeter defenders. Of the 3, I would say Carsen was the best. I think Hunter and Sasha will be better at defending and I am hoping they get another grad transfer 3 and Newman can contribute immediately.

Haarms, Williams, Eastern, Wheeler have all shown flashes of really good talent and will all have another year. I expect Sasha and Hunter to take a step forward as well. If Dow is serviceable as a backup, Newman can contribute right away, and there is a graduate transfer that can contribute, the step back won’t be much. The ceiling may be a little lower, but I think the floor will be much higher. Lots of other teams in the Big lose important pieces, and I love the core that Purdue is bringing back.
Purdue brings back experience athleticism quickness length shooters and really good guard play. A core of players who all got to play extended minutes at time and all now will have bigger roles now and more balance at all positions this team cud be just as good as this past season book it. All these guys are hungry got a taste of almost a final 4 birth they won’t forget that it just gonna fuel there fire why all of them in the off season gonna take there games to the next level trust in believe that. There will never be another Carsen Edwards no doubt he left his on legacy now u have to move on create there own identity and these young dudes no ppl gonna right them off again and they will answer the the call with there play and prove once again Andy Katz and all these so called preseason writers wrong once again. Final 4 destination is were I c this team can potentially get back too. More minutes more production watch out some of these guys gonna surprise many watch and see

Purdue brings back experience athleticism quickness length shooters and really good guard play. A core of players who all got to play extended minutes at time and all now will have bigger roles now and more balance at all positions this team cud be just as good as this past season book it. All these guys are hungry got a taste of almost a final 4 birth they won’t forget that it just gonna fuel there fire why all of them in the off season gonna take there games to the next level trust in believe that. There will never be another Carsen Edwards no doubt he left his on legacy now u have to move on create there own identity and these young dudes no ppl gonna right them off again and they will answer the the call with there play and prove once again Andy Katz and all these so called preseason writers wrong once again. Final 4 destination is were I c this team can potentially get back too. More minutes more production watch out some of these guys gonna surprise many watch and see
Just like CMP and not doubting him...after reading Treed’s feelings last season, she gets the benefit of the doubt with me!

Reactions: PurdueSteve

Did you have a different user name last offseason? This tune sounds familiar.....and is getting old again.

Reactions: Purdue85
Did you have a different user name last offseason? This tune sounds familiar.....and is getting old again.

What’s getting old? Having an opinion and correcting a factually incorrect statement? I don’t come on here interjecting IU, you guys already do that enough. IU or something IU related was brought up 5 different times before I commented. I was having a civil conversation with your board moderator. Relax!

Reactions: Emartin70287
I think it is the same loosier that said we were going to be horrible this year, and iu was going to the final four.

There no way im questioning your prediction, you've been spot on the last 2 yrs BOULER UP

Reactions: PurdueSteve
What’s getting old? Having an opinion and correcting a factually incorrect statement? I don’t come on here interjecting IU, you guys already do that enough. IU or something IU related was brought up 5 different times before I commented. I was having a civil conversation with your board moderator. Relax!
You seem very reasonable, I dont know why they are picking on you. I like a little IU talk here and there. Brings a little life to the board. As long as you arent the hoosierdumbo, jet, ufo nutjob posters you are good in my book.

You seem very reasonable, I dont know why they are picking on you. I like a little IU talk here and there. Brings a little life to the board. As long as you arent the hoosierdumbo, jet, ufo nutjob posters you are good in my book.

Thank you. Nothing I've posted has been unreasonable. Simply stated I didn't think there was going to be a massive drop off from this year to last. Never came on this thread beating my chest about how IU is going to be better than Purdue next year, let alone said IU was going to be dominant. I post on H&R daily and have had no issues over there but again they seem to be a much less insensitive and a more tolerant bunch.

Assuming there's no setbacks, D Davis will be as healthy as he's ever going to be. He played great down the stretch averaging nearly double figures and converting almost 70% of his shots.

Sorry, and I like Davis and all, but that's like saying I'm going to get to work without killing a squirrel today unless I run over a squirrel.

Sorry, and I like Davis and all, but that's like saying I'm going to get to work without killing a squirrel today unless I run over a squirrel.

Pressure is off Davis to stay 100% healthy now that they've officially signed Brunk. If 100% healthy I would expect Davis could contribute 20-25mpg with Brunk spelling him, but worst case if his stamina isn't there Brunk is capable of playing more minutes. Signing Brunk was important because it ensures depth and doesn't force TJD to play extended minutes at the 5 if D. Davis can't go.

IU sucks and always will, missed the tournament three straight years and if you think Davis is gonna make a difference then you’re gonna be in for a rude awakening, kid is softer than butter.

ADVERTISEMENT