ADVERTISEMENT

Rickie Collins - Elite 11

Sorry if this has already been posted. Very good write-up on Collins from the Elite 11 camp. I hope he doesn't change his mind and go elsewhere.

Hope we can keep him as well. If the program can develop 2 lower tier quarterbacks for the NFL (David and assuming Aidan), it's imperative it can show what it can do for a top flight one. The issue will be PT for him or Brady.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and SKYDOG
When compared to the rest of the field, there was little doubt Collins was the best prospect in attendance and will more than likely see his stock continue to rise.

New Rivals rankings has him up to #103 from #131. Says LSU and Oregon trying to flip him.

• Angry
Reactions: Zaphod_B
It is great recognize for the program to have a top 10 QB recruit.

However, with both Brohms playing in the NFL and our history of QBs, we should be getting QBs every year in the top 10-20.

I really don't know how Hazell, as bad as he was as a coach, was able to get 3 Elite 11 QBs. Now, he didn't know how to use them, but he got them to come to Purdue.

It is great recognize for the program to have a top 10 QB recruit.

However, with both Brohms playing in the NFL and our history of QBs, we should be getting QBs every year in the top 10-20.

I really don't know how Hazell, as bad as he was as a coach, was able to get 3 Elite 11 QBs. Now, he didn't know how to use them, but he got them to come to Purdue.
3?

Blough. Who else?

I got another notification this morning from CBS that Collins is a flip candidate to LSU. Basically because Kelly is making waves and he doesn't have a QB for this cycle yet. I think it was a 247 video. Essentially it complimented Brohm but had a "Wtf, why Purdue?" feel to it.

I got another notification this morning from CBS that Collins is a flip candidate to LSU. Basically because Kelly is making waves and he doesn't have a QB for this cycle yet. I think it was a 247 video. Essentially it complimented Brohm but had a "Wtf, why Purdue?" feel to it.
Is there a creepy dancing with BK video?

this begs the question. who gets credit for a recruit? the person who originally recruited him? or the person who pursuaded him to stay and kept his commitment and signed him?

a lot of recruits flop. Should a Purdue coach get credit for recruiting a player if he decides to sign elsewhere? I guess izzo should be credited for recruiting Biggie? and hope should get credit for recruiting Gregory?

it's my belief that the coach who signs the player should be the one given credit for recruiting that player. he could have gone anywhere before signing.

So let's give hazell credit. he is the guy who kept the majorityof Hope's recruits to sign at Purdue. hazell did some flipping of his own, and also recruited some people to purdue in that 6 week period. he just signed too many people at the wrong positions. he loved RBs.

Painter recruited holgrem. Holgrem signed with Gonzaga. Should we give Painter credit for recruiting holgrem? i don't think so.

my point? Hope initially recruited Etling. But, Hazell signed him. Give hazell credit.

it's long past time we gave hazell credit for being able to keep the players Hope initially recruited. We give brohm credit for the players Hazell iniallly recruited , right? So give hazell a warm fuzzy. he's the guy who was somehow against all odds able to keep Etling commited and he's the one who signed him. The credit for recruiting a player should go to the person who signed the player, not the one who initially recruited him.

Tiller and keady probably recruited players as freshmen and sophmores and allowed subsequent coaches to seal the deal. who gets credit ? the person who makes initial contact? or the one that gets the job done? Who recruited Biggie? izzo? or Painter? if you say painter, then Etling and everyone else in that class for better and worse were hazell's first recruits. he was the coach that signed them.

Last edited:
this begs the question. who gets credit for a recruit? the person who originally recruited him? or the person who pursuaded him to stay and kept his commitment and signed him?

a lot of recruits flop. Should a Purdue coach get credit for recruiting a player if he decides to sign elsewhere? I guess izzo should be credited for recruiting Biggie? and hope should get credit for recruiting Gregory?

it's my belief that the coach who signs the player should be the one given credit for recruiting that player. he could have gone anywhere before signing.

So let's give hazell credit. he is the guy who kept the majorityof Hope's recruits to sign at Purdue. hazell did some flipping of his own, and also recruited some people to purdue in that 6 week period. he just signed too many people at the wrong positions. he loved RBs.

Painter recruited holgrem. Holgrem signed with Gonzaga. Should we give Painter credit for recruiting holgrem? i don't think so.

my point? Hope initially recruited Etling. But, Hazell signed him. Give hazell credit.

it's long past time we gave hazell credit for being able to keep the players Hope initially recruited. We give brohm credit for the players Hazell iniallly recruited , right? So give hazell a warm fuzzy. he's the guy who was somehow against all odds able to keep Etling commited and he's the one who signed him. The credit for recruiting a player should go to the person who signed the player, not the one who initially recruited him.

Tiller and keady probably recruited players as freshmen and sophmores and allowed subsequent coaches to seal the deal. who gets credit ? the person who makes initial contact? or the one that gets the job done? Who recruited Biggie? izzo? or Painter? if you say painter, then Etling and everyone else in that class for better and worse were hazell's first recruits. he was the coach that signed them.
I'm still waiting for the point.

I'm still waiting for the point.
the point is and I've said it many times. Hazell was purdues' coach for at least 6 weeks before the signing day. all of Hope's recruit's could have left when he left. But each of them met hazell and decided to sign with hazell as the coach. The entire point was that entire class for better or worse was hazell's first recruiting class, not the following year. That entire class was not Hope's class. he was long gone before any members of that class signed an LOI.

For years , people here refuse to give hazell any credit for that class. he took those recruits and added more recruits to round out that class. That entire class was hazell's class. It doesn't matter how long or short he was the coach. he was the coach when they signed. Any one of them could have changed their mind like Biggie did switching from MSU to Purdue. but thefact is, they didn't.

Etlin was a hazell recruit. Hope may have gotten him committted, but it was Hazell that signed him. I've given hazell a lot of greif, but i also believe he should get credit where it's due.

the guy who signs the player is the guy who should be credited with recruiting the player. that's my point. if Collins signs with Purdue, then brohm should get credit for recruiting him. if he flips to LSU, then give the credit to LSU's coach.

There was no point .....
Some of you will never admit that you realized my point was obvious and valid! I could spell it out and provide 1000 examples and analogies and you’d still ignore the facts!

the point is too simple for the majority of you to comprehend and admit!

whoever signs a prospect is the coach who should be credited with being that player’s recruiter! A lot of coaches contact players! But the coach who gets the player to sign should be the one credited with recruiting him.

my secondary point was that many here who are silent never gave Hazell credit for his first recruiting class. Many here said his first class should not be credited to Hazell, but rather should be credited to Hope! Yes, Hope made the initial contact, but it was Hazell that signed every player in that class. Hazell had 6 weeks. He made contact with each player Hope had contacted, and he influenced them to stay and he added several players.

and that’s my point.
Etling was Hazell’s recruit, not Hope’s. Etling signed when Hazell was the official coach! As did the rest of that class. Sure, Hazell didn’t have much time. But in subsequent years, Hazell had a lot of time. And the more time he had, the worse his recruiting became!

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
I think we are totally unaware what our program is, and will be doing in the future. That’s the way people who matter want it to be.
Agree here. No need to upset the traditionalists and the people who would like to support this will know where to go to.

Some of you will never admit that you realized my point was obvious and valid! I could spell it out and provide 1000 examples and analogies and you’d still ignore the facts!

the point is too simple for the majority of you to comprehend and admit!

whoever signs a prospect is the coach who should be credited with being that player’s recruiter! A lot of coaches contact players! But the coach who gets the player to sign should be the one credited with recruiting him.

my secondary point was that many here who are silent never gave Hazell credit for his first recruiting class. Many here said his first class should not be credited to Hazell, but rather should be credited to Hope! Yes, Hope made the initial contact, but it was Hazell that signed every player in that class. Hazell had 6 weeks. He made contact with each player Hope had contacted, and he influenced them to stay and he added several players.

and that’s my point.
Etling was Hazell’s recruit, not Hope’s. Etling signed when Hazell was the official coach! As did the rest of that class. Sure, Hazell didn’t have much time. But in subsequent years, Hazell had a lot of time. And the more time he had, the worse his recruiting became!
Sir, this is a Wendy’s.

It is a shame to see some hghly touted quaterbacks come here and then vanish into obscurity, perhaps without ever playing a down. I no longer get enthused about who was signed until I actually see them on the field making positive plays.

You need a top tier QB in almost every class. Injuries, transfers, et..
Completely get that. But a lot of this talk kinda feels like “ooo shiny new toy” when Brady has been on campus for less than 8 months.

I’m a firm believer that the only reason brady isn’t a 5star prospect and top 50 player of his class was because covid took away his junior offseason. He has all the physicals for a Brohm QB and he had something crazy like 1300 pass attempts in Hs with like 25 total INTs. You would be hard pressed to find another QB with his size and arm talent who is already accustomed to throwing it 35+ times a game.

I love rickie collins and think he is phenomenal….but if you chase the rabbit too hard and make too many promises, you may miss out with what you already have

Completely get that. But a lot of this talk kinda feels like “ooo shiny new toy” when Brady has been on campus for less than 8 months.

I’m a firm believer that the only reason brady isn’t a 5star prospect and top 50 player of his class was because covid took away his junior offseason. He has all the physicals for a Brohm QB and he had something crazy like 1300 pass attempts in Hs with like 25 total INTs. You would be hard pressed to find another QB with his size and arm talent who is already accustomed to throwing it 35+ times a game.

I love rickie collins and think he is phenomenal….but if you chase the rabbit too hard and make too many promises, you may miss out with what you already have
You bring in the best possible talent you can find and let them compete in practice for the starting job. Just because you have what you think is your next starting QB on the bench doens't mean you don't go find someone who can try to take his job. These players understand that and if they don't want to compete against other really good players for the starting spot, then they should go to a smaller program.

The last uncommitted QB (Brock Glenn) that LSU has been after just got several crystal ball picks for Ohio State. I would imangine they will give Collins another push. He seems pretty solid with Purdue though.

The last uncommitted QB (Brock Glenn) that LSU has been after just got several crystal ball picks for Ohio State. I would imangine they will give Collins another push. He seems pretty solid with Purdue though.
The Rivals main page says he’s officially visiting LSU this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT