ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when Purdue football was No. 1?

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
The year was 1968. I remember it like yesterday.

The Tet Offensive turned the war in Vietnam upside down and pushed American casualties to their worst peak. 16,000 killed. War protests grew in step. Martin Luther King was assassinated in Memphis, and riots erupted nationwide, except in Indianapolis, where presidential candidate Bobby Kennedy addressed a crowd about his own brother’s shooting death. Two months later, he was killed, too.

The world of sports offered some distractions. Raised black fists stood out at the Mexico Olympics, while the world champion St. Louis Cardinals again ran away from the National League with Bob Gibson throwing 13 shutouts. The Baltimore Colts were succeeding Vince Lombardi’s Green Bay Packers as the NFL’s dominant team, headed for a Super Bowl date with Broadway Joe Namath and the AFL’s New York Jets. Los Angeles ruled basketball with the Lakers in the NBA and Johnny Wooden’s UCLA Bruins in the NCAA adding to their title runs.

And Leroy Keyes graced the cover of Sports Illustrated’s college football issue, visible inside the No. 1 for Purdue as the nation’s consensus top team, a status lasting from preseason through mid-October. Purdue spent over five weeks atop the polls with Mike Phipps rocking the Cradle of Quarterbacks and 64-year-old head coach Jack Mollenkopf earning a tip of the nation’s fedoras, two years after winning the Rose Bowl.

The topper came on September 26th, when No. 1 Purdue visited No. 2 Notre Dame and administered a 37-22 pounding that wasn’t that close. Sports Illustrated again featured Keyes with the game report headlined “Leroy on the Loose.”

Dan Jenkins’ words placed college football’s crown firmly on Purdue, a story covering six full pages and still able to warm the heart of any good Boilermaker.

“Maybe the Vatican ought to consider banning Purdue instead of the Pill. Maybe Purdue is the hugest, fleetest, calmest, most skilled football team that ever tromped through the Indiana sycamores. Maybe Leroy Keyes is the greatest quadruple threat since Mt. Rushmore. And maybe Notre Dame would be better off trying to win one for Ara Parseghian instead of the Gipper. These and other sinister thoughts are to be weighed now that the Boilermakers have put it on the Irish twice in a row in a great big Poll Bowl that brings out the Rockne in everybody.”

https://vault.si.com/vault/1968/10/07/40890#&gid=ci0258bfd5b010278a&pid=40890---034---image

Two weeks later, the Boilermakers’ glorious reign as No. 1 ended as Woody Hayes and Ohio State jacked Purdue’s jaw 13-0 en route to their own unbeaten national championship. Purdue later took a second loss because … well, who can ever really get up for the Minnesota Golden Gophers?

Now, nearly 55 years later, Notre Dame is finally getting its revenge. A Domer has held Purdue’s football program hostage without a leader for over a week while paying a cool million of Purdue’s dollars to his hand-picked coach just to leave and take our staff and our recruits with him.

From “Leroy on the Loose” to Bobo’s Circus and Brohm’s Lull-a-bye.

Thank goodness for this week’s No. 1 in basketball and the true Boilermakers who are responsible for it.

Last edited:
Purdue had a really good group of players in early 70’s , but terrible coaching! Could have kept up in the rankings , things went downhill with Demoss hiring

The Tet Offensive turned the war in Vietnam upside down and pushed American casualties to their worst peak. 16,000 killed. War protests grew in step. Martin Luther King was assassinated in Memphis, and riots erupted nationwide, except in Indianapolis, where presidential candidate Bobby Kennedy addressed a crowd about his own brother’s shooting death. Two months later, he was killed, too.

The world of sports offered some distractions. Raised black fists stood out at the Mexico Olympics, while the world champion St. Louis Cardinals again ran away from the National League with Bob Gibson throwing 13 shutouts. The Baltimore Colts were succeeding Vince Lombardi’s Green Bay Packers as the NFL’s dominant team, headed for a Super Bowl date with Broadway Joe Namath and the AFL’s New York Jets. Los Angeles ruled basketball with the Lakers in the NBA and Johnny Wooden’s UCLA Bruins in the NCAA adding to their title runs.

And Leroy Keyes graced the cover of Sports Illustrated’s college football issue, visible inside the No. 1 for Purdue as the nation’s consensus top team, a status lasting from preseason through mid-October. Purdue spent over five weeks atop the polls with Mike Phipps rocking the Cradle of Quarterbacks and 64-year-old head coach Jack Mollenkopf earning a tip of the nation’s fedoras, two years after winning the Rose Bowl.

The topper came on September 26th, when No. 1 Purdue visited No. 2 Notre Dame and administered a 37-22 pounding that wasn’t that close. Sports Illustrated again featured Keyes with the game report headlined “Leroy on the Loose.”

Myron Cope’s words placed college football’s crown firmly on Purdue, a story covering six full pages and still able to warm the heart of any good Boilermaker.

“Maybe the Vatican ought to consider banning Purdue instead of the Pill. Maybe Purdue is the hugest, fleetest, calmest, most skilled football team that ever tromped through the Indiana sycamores. Maybe Leroy Keyes is the greatest quadruple threat since Mt. Rushmore. And maybe Notre Dame would be better off trying to win one for Ara Parseghian instead of the Gipper. These and other sinister thoughts are to be weighed now that the Boilermakers have put it on the Irish twice in a row in a great big Poll Bowl that brings out the Rockne in everybody.”

https://vault.si.com/vault/1968/10/07/40890#&gid=ci0258bfd5b010278a&pid=40890---034---image

Two weeks later, the Boilermakers’ glorious reign as No. 1 ended as Woody Hayes and Ohio State jacked Purdue’s jaw 13-0 en route to their own unbeaten national championship. Purdue later took a second loss because … well, who can ever really get up for the Minnesota Golden Gophers?

Now, nearly 55 years later, Notre Dame is finally getting its revenge. A Domer has held Purdue’s football program hostage without a leader for over a week while paying a cool million of Purdue’s dollars to his hand-picked coach just to leave and take our staff and our recruits with him.

Thank goodness for this week’s No. 1 in basketball and the true Boilermakers who are responsible for it.
thanks for taking me back through memory lane. Even as a youngster I remember many of those and as that youngster had no idea what turn of events I would experience in the future.

For me the year was 1965, I remember it like yesterday. My senior year Purdue was rated #1 near the beginning of the year in one of the national polls. Then just after I left, the Rose Bowl against USC which I watched in person as USC's 2 point conversion failed just in front of me!

Reactions: Born Boiler

Dan Jenkins’ words placed college football’s crown firmly on Purdue, a story covering six full pages and still able to warm the heart of any good Boilermaker.

Dang. Wasn’t aware Bobinski hired DeMoss, Agase, Akers, and the Haze.

I remember the song we used to sing. It was taken from hee haw.

Gloom despair and Agase on me

Deep dark depression, excessive Vitaliti.

If it weren’t for Dierking, we’d have no wins at all.

Gloom despair and Agase on me!

could you be thinking of Alex Agase or Demoss?

Alex Agase was all business the time he broke up a Townhouse Apartment party hosted by some of his players. Just after a parking lot fight broke out between two wide receivers -- let’s call them Reggie Arnold and Paul Beery -- Agase drove up in his giant white Ford LTD, calmly placed his martini glass on the dash, got out and then informed his wide-eyed audience that “If you ever expect to play football again for Purdue University, this ends NOW!” Meanwhile, among the many already in full retreat, Walter Jordan was crossing a neighboring lawn, looking back over his shoulder, and fell in the hole where a lamp post had been removed. I said, “Damn! Now our whole basketball season has just gone to hell in our own front yard!” Walter shook it off and made All-Big Ten.

Reactions: tjreese
I recall Agase was supposed to be a good hire coming off the success he had at his previous job. But it never happened.

I liked the Young hire. But he didn’t like Purdue. Imagine leaving Purdue to coach Army.

Reactions: PhantomGold
Nah. He only hired one coach who wound up 36-34 before abandoning and gutting the heart out of a New Year’s bowl team three weeks in advance of its game.
Yeah he only hired one guy, who was better than the last 2 coaches hired by the previous regime.

Oh - and he refilled Ross-Ade after it was emptied out by the Burke hires. How much money was that worth?

Reactions: PhantomGold
I recall Agase was supposed to be a good hire coming off the success he had at his previous job. But it never happened.

I liked the Young hire. But he didn’t like Purdue. Imagine leaving Purdue to coach Army.

No he didn't. There were personal reasons he had to step down, but he did not leave Purdue at that time. He became an Associate AD. Later when he wanted to get back into coaching the Purdue job was unfortunately not available and he went to Army.

Yeah he only hired one guy, who was better than the last 2 coaches hired by the previous regime.

Oh - and he refilled Ross-Ade after it was emptied out by the Burke hires. How much money was that worth?

“Burke-hire” Joe Tiller kept the place filled through 12 straight years. And he didn’t need six years to finish two games over .500.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
“Burke-hire” Joe Tiller kept the place filled through 12 straight years. And he didn’t need six years to finish two games over .500.
Huge Tiller fan. Was in school when he arrived. Best Purdue coach of any sport IMO, in my lifetime. Inherited a way better roster than Brohm did tho.

Doesn’t change the fact that Burke was 1-3 on football hires, and Bobinski is 1-1.

Alex Agase was all business the time he broke up a Townhouse Apartment party hosted by some of his players. Just after a parking lot fight broke out between two wide receivers -- let’s call them Reggie Arnold and Paul Beery -- Agase drove up in his giant white Ford LTD, calmly placed his martini glass on the dash, got out and then informed his wide-eyed audience that “If you ever expect to play football again for Purdue University, this ends NOW!” Meanwhile, among the many already in full retreat, Walter Jordan was crossing a neighboring lawn, looking back over his shoulder, and fell in the hole where a lamp post had been removed. I said, “Damn! Now our whole basketball season has just gone to hell in our own front yard!” Walter shook it off and made All-Big Ten.
was in 2 classes w/ Beery, nice kid. Always remember the one diving catch he made vs nd ? around the 4 yd line. Talked one time w/ Arnold outside the co rec, wasn't impressed

Reactions: Born Boiler

Unfortunately I do......geeeezzzz I'm old. I remember watching them on TV and going to some games with my parents and grandparents who were Alums.
Remember finding out Griese was going to expansion team dolphins, became a dolphins fan because he went there.

No he didn't. There were personal reasons he had to step down, but he did not leave Purdue at that time. He became an Associate AD. Later when he wanted to get back into coaching the Purdue job was unfortunately not available and he went to Army.
Exactly as I remember it…
Seem to recall that Young approached AD George King with his change of mind - but King had already jumped the gun and hired Burtnett - and Young then took the Army gig with great success.

ADVERTISEMENT