ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirt question

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
If a pandemic breaks out at the end of a full season and March madness is cancelled, everyone gets an extra year of eligibility.

Yet still, if a freshman plays 1 minute in a single game he forfeits a year of eligibility.

Please explain.

Reactions: Schnelk
If a pandemic breaks out at the end of a full season and March madness is cancelled, everyone gets an extra year of eligibility.

Yet still, if a freshman plays 1 minute in a single game he forfeits a year of eligibility.

Please explain.
In football, you can play in 4 games, yes? So 1/3 of the season...and, not forfeit eligibility. Same request for an explanation...same answer(s) likely.

In football, you can play in 4 games, yes? So 1/3 of the season...and, not forfeit eligibility. Same request for an explanation...same answer(s) likely.
It sure would make the redshirt option a lot easier to swallow, maybe even prevent some transfers. “Coach, just give me a chance to prove myself in a few games, and then we’ll decide if I am ready!”

With NIL and the portal you are only going to see redshirting if there's an injury or some odd circumstances.

With NIL and the portal you are only going to see redshirting if there's an injury or some odd circumstances.
More so MAYBE in basketball, but, it is still going to happen in cases...it is likely to happen at Purdue this year, again.

I have no doubt there will be a red shirt this year. And whomever it is will likely play at Purdue for 5 years and the fans will love him but he will never play in the nba other than summer leagues.

if a player is not good enough to force his way into playing as a freshmen then the likelihood of that player being good enough to force his way onto an nba team is small.

There are always exceptions as people love to go back down memory lane and how it was 20-30 years ago when players like Brian Cardinal red shirted. Technically, Big Dog red shirted too.

Berg and Heide are obvious candidates.
I can agree with Berg being a red shirt. I can also agree with one of our guards being red shirted. I’m just of the opinion if they don’t contribute as a true freshman they will become a complimentary player rather than a star.

Berg is nearly a lock in my book, especially after reading the nugget below, which I am actually really stoked about.

Purdue will use Caleb Furst at the center position extensively this season, with the Boilermakers running much more of a five-out sort of offense with him at the 5.
I share your enthusiasm on the surface...the caveat...if he is going to play the 5 "extensively", what does that mean for his minutes...as, clearly Edey is going to play the majority of the minutes, and, I don't love the idea of Furst not being in the line-up if he is serving as Edey's back-up (ala Tre last year).

I hated the dynamic that one of Purdue's best players was ALWAYS on the bench. It was due to Tre's inability to play on the floor allegedly...or guard specifically...not the case with Furst.

I share your enthusiasm on the surface...the caveat...if he is going to play the 5 "extensively", what does that mean for his minutes...as, clearly Edey is going to play the majority of the minutes, and, I don't love the idea of Furst not being in the line-up if he is serving as Edey's back-up (ala Tre last year).

I hated the dynamic that one of Purdue's best players was ALWAYS on the bench. It was due to Tre's inability to play on the floor allegedly...or guard specifically...not the case with Furst.
Extensively could mean 15 minutes at the 5. Unless Berg is a better front court option than Furst, Gillis, or TKR, you need one of those guys taking those minutes to keep your best players on the court. Furst is clearly the best option.

Reactions: DAG10

Doubt Edey plays more than 25 minutes a game.

Tre just couldn’t stay with many 4s. Even furst had trouble with that at times.

Reactions: DAG10
Extensively could mean 15 minutes at the 5. Unless Berg is a better front court option than Furst, Gillis, or TKR, you need one of those guys taking those minutes to keep your best players on the court. Furst is clearly the best option.
I agree...I was making the point that I am ok with it "extensively" vs "exclusively"...as, he can still play the 4, and, needs to as such I feel. I don't want his minutes to just be as Zach's backup was what I was getting at, or, that he is only at the 5.

Doubt Edey plays more than 25 minutes a game.

Tre just couldn’t stay with many 4s. Even furst had trouble with that at times.
The indication was that he would play more than he had (which, I don't recall if it was 20 or 25...I had thought 25 admittedly). Either way, to your point, he may not play more than that, or, much more.

Understood on the latter point...Furst can though...not ideal, especially in some situations, but, he is capable and unlike with Tre, it should not keep him off of the floor.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
The indication was that he would play more than he had (which, I don't recall if it was 20 or 25...I had thought 25 admittedly). Either way, to your point, he may not play more than that, or, much more.

Understood on the latter point...Furst can though...not ideal, especially in some situations, but, he is capable and unlike with Tre, it should not keep him off of the floor.
An option I like, when there isn't a clear drop-off from starters to 6th or 7th man, is to bring a starter caliber player off the bench to give them more of lead role while they are on the court. I think that is a role either Furst or TKR (maybe both) could fill this year. And both of them are capable of playing 2 positions, which gives you more flexibility in match-ups. To that end, when Furst initially checks in for Edey, he will likely get some minutes against the opponent's back-up 5. He can then later slide over to the 4 with, let's say, 8 minutes left in the half, and play a fair amount of minutes against a fatigued starter or a back-up. That first step quickness differential at the 4 won't be as much of an issue as at tip-off. That's just one idea, but I like the options.

I didn’t like the platoon of Edey and Tre last year and won’t like the platoon of Edey and Furst this year. I was hoping Furst could become a starter rather than backup. I was hoping he could start at the 4 and Tkr could start at the 3 and be our #1 scoring option and Gillis would become a 6th man for the front court adding depth and experience. I was hoping Furst and Tkr would follow in the footsteps of Ivey, Tre and Carsen and become a star as a sophomore! That doesn’t appear as if it’s going to happen. Both Furst and Tkr appear to be either backups or platoon players! I’ve never been a fan of platoons. If a player is good he doesn’t need to sit on the bench for 20 minutes of every game to stay fresh and out of foul trouble

Well said. I think many of "us" don't realize the difficulty a 7'x" human has playing a physically demanding game. Their bodies take a beating in synch with their size. Tre could not guard a 4 "well." Furst can come close.

Painter had the ultimate blessing and curse. Two of the best big men in the nation ... and neither able to play another position. If one hates platooning them, then just what would one do that was a better solution?

Reactions: northside100
I never understood the "Trey can't guard the 4" idea.

There are so many guys that play the 4 in the B1G that are limited offensively. I have to believe there were times last year were Trey could have guarded a team's backup 4. My assumption was Painter didn't believe it would work offensively.

I believe Furst is much different in that he has shown he can space the floor. I'm hoping we see both Furst and Edey getting 25 minutes. That will probably require either TKR or Gillis to play some minutes at the 3 if we want to maximize the minutes of our top players.

Well said. I think many of "us" don't realize the difficulty a 7'x" human has playing a physically demanding game. Their bodies take a beating in synch with their size. Tre could not guard a 4 "well." Furst can come close.

Painter had the ultimate blessing and curse. Two of the best big men in the nation ... and neither able to play another position. If one hates platooning them, then just what would one do that was a better solution?
I really do think Tre's alleged limitations were a bit exaggerated...Purdue was not good defensively anyway, so, the thought that Williams could not be on the floor at the same time because he could not guard the 4 never really made a ton of sense to me...especially in certain games. I am pretty confident that if we see Tre play this year in the NBA, that, it will largely be way more on the floor than in the post with his back to the basket...and, that we will see that maybe he is not as bad at guarding guys than was suggested...and, even if he is, again, it is not as if Purdue was good at that end anyway.

Personally...Purdue did not get the most out of Tre with things as they were...that is my own thought.

To your point(s) though...no way for most of us to appreciate what it is like to be that big and try to do some things, and, the beating that they take that you noted.

It was indeed a blessing and a curse, and, such a crazy dynamic.

If anything...assuming the only option was to platoon...I hated that it was scripted largely. That said, I hate the thought of having to use a platoon and trying to figure it out with two of my best players.

DAG10, I want to compliment you for this post above. First, I found it to follow the way i talk, so it was easy to get through. Second, I agree that Purdue was defensively challenged and Tre was not utilized to the fullest. Third, I agree that Tre's playing time in the NBA will be more away from the basket. Continuing, Tre is really worked on his body to the point he looks quicker and more athletic than his early time at Purdue. The second half of last season, they started to move him a little more away from the basket and I could see his footwork and ball handling to be surprisingly good in that position. So, I think he could have played the 4, allowing Edey to be under the basket. And defensively, I think he might not have been perfect at the 4, but he would have found a way to do some damage to the other team's offense. Congratulates, I don't usually compliment posters for the content of their offerings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT