ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

I think we have lost our momentum from last year. Looking like the old hope/hazel classes.

D2gy8eAWwAAm9JD.jpg

Recent recruits offer lists have not been stellar. I see his point of view. But I trust this staff they obviously know what they want.
I agree with this. To take a commitment this early,5 months from signing day, and with being a small class, the staff must really like Washington and Jenkins. Other possibilities could very well be that the other targets have committed elsewhere or told the staff they aren’t coming. Yet another option could be the whole grey shirt/blue shirt thing like with Triplett and Wahlberg where it doesn’t count against class size. Either way, welcome aboard fellas. Boiler Up!

I think we have lost our momentum from last year. Looking like the old hope/hazel classes.
This stupid post came up a half hour, or so, after Jenkins verbally committed. Are you reacting like this because Rivals has not rated him, yet? 247 has rated him a 3*. Can you at least admit that you are not seeing the whole picture, yet? I would definitely not say we've lost our momentum, at all.

I’m onboard with you 72. I think Jenkins video looks outstanding. You know they play tough football in GA.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I get what you mean in that all the low ratings recently have been disappointing. Just hoping these are some diamonds in the rough.

Reactions: joeybunton
This stupid post came up a half hour, or so, after Jenkins verbally committed. Are you reacting like this because Rivals has not rated him, yet? 247 has rated him a 3*. Can you at least admit that you are not seeing the whole picture, yet? I would definitely not say we've lost our momentum, at all.
Look at who else was recruiting him...

Reactions: joeybunton
Coaches aren't gonna give out offers to players unless they see potential in them. Not an expert on recruiting, but I would think there are quite a few players, under the radar, that will be good college players. Guess we will see in a few years.

I'll throw this idea in : There's a big difference between sitting, right now, with about 11 or so commitments - about 5 or so of ?able quality, based only on ratings......and being in another place where we've received 23 commitments -11 of which "seem" iffy. When you carry 85 total schollies, looking @ 5 ?'s is a lot less discomforting than, for instance, having 11 that are head-scratchers. Trust Brohm ?? I trust him to make intelligent decisions, when needed. No more/no less.

Reactions: Roeder and ChuckJr
Here is my thought on the recent string of commitments:

Are these guys day 1 starters like some of the guys last year and earlier this year could potentially be? No, but they are players who can be developed given what the coaching staff has seen with enough size, speed, and athleticism to provide depth and needed spots on special teams. We are not far removed from having to have the number 1’s make up pretty much all of the special teams because, frankly out, the other guys were just that poor.

When you watch the film from a different perspective being that you are looking for guys who need a firmer foundation to build their skill on before being in the 2 deeps BUT still have what you need in terms of special teams...you offer them. Purdue is at a point with many of their positions that they can offer developmental type players bc they also aren’t on a level to consistently pull on top flight guys at a position every single year outside of what appears to be S, WR, and QB.

If you want the program to take the next step...now it needs developmental depth bc outside of elite talent at the positions except OL, those starters for the next 3-4 years are on the team right now.

When you sell early playing time and then a bunch of high end prospects fill those spots, how easy is it to then turn around and sell early playing time.

“Sure kid, you’ll play early at SSDE. We don’t have anybody except Karlaftis cough cough...”

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Couple lightly recruited recruits v classes full of them under hazell. It was a shitpost

Agree. Hazell couldn't have touched the top recruits in this class. And the "average" recruits in this class would have been headliners under Haze.

Average star ratings by class:

2011: .8098
2012: .8289
2013: .8242
2014: .8245
2015: .8175
2016: .8113
2017: .8188
2018: .8469
2019: .8663
2020 (so far): .8594

Perspective is a crazy thing. All the recruits we have complained about would've been above average in most prior classes.

Average star ratings by class:

2011: .8098
2012: .8289
2013: .8242
2014: .8245
2015: .8175
2016: .8113
2017: .8188
2018: .8469
2019: .8663
2020 (so far): .8594

Perspective is a crazy thing. All the recruits we have complained about would've been above average in most prior classes.
Pass

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT