ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Question

I'm just curious. how did you do that ? that was my quote you referenced, but somehow you got the site to give the credit for the quote to PU52chevy . ??

Sorry, my bad. I was writing posts on multiple tabs and must have gotten them mixed up during editing. I corrected it. Again sorry about that.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I personally don’t want one-and-drones. We do need to get multiple top 100 guys for sure. I’m sure Painter is working on that, but we are at an disadvantage. We are smack middle of an area surrounded by basketball powerhouses (UK, MSU, OSU, Villanova, and etc.) and historically popular programs (likes of IU) competing for top recruits. Even the competition for the next tier is fierce with the ones like Butler, ND, UM, and such. Teams like Rutgers can play hard thanks to their NY media ties. It doesn’t help that the ones like Louisville not playing fair.

Let’s be honest. Indiana is hardly a destination state for most people. It’s the basketball tradition that keeps the place somewhat attractive and even that is being sucked in by IU. Painter’s battle is an uphill battle. I’m just not ready to condemn him for 2019 recruitment when we are not even the halfway done with 2018, especially because the football coach got a good recruit.

I would like to interject that when Swanigan was first recruited, many thought and predicted that he would be a one and done type player. And Painter knew that when he recruited him that he might leave after one year. Swanigan decided to stay a second year partly because of what he was told at the combine. If had received a promise from a team at the combine of being a first round pick, he would have left after his first year. it would have been nothing personal - just a business decision.

So you could technically say Painter did actually recruit a one and done player. and there have been many one and done players recruited to Kentucky that decided to stay for 2 years. And no, UK doesn't go out and recruit 2 and done players.

Painter also recruited Langford knowing full well he was labeled as a one and done player. And while we call Langford one and done player, who knows? he may stay longer.

Painter also recruited SF Bazeley before and after he de-committed from OSU. painter had to know he was a one and done player when he was recruiting him. that

Summary - Painter does recruit one and done players. They just didn't leave after one year. technically you could say Ewing was a one an done player. After one year, he was done. ;)

Last edited:
I thought Webster added the word several years ago to the dictionary. I'm just trying to clarify the facts.
Isn’t that similar to when they created inflammable even though flammable means the same thing?

Isn’t that similar to when they created inflammable even though flammable means the same thing?

yes it is. the article I read was that Webster included irregardless as a slang term a lot of Americans use that don't know much about the usage of words in the English language. As part of their reasoning for inclusion, they indicated that since this non-word was used so much by Americans who buy their dictionary, they felt compelled to include it.

it's sort of like all the cut through paths Purdue students created on the mall, that made Purdue decide to install sidewalks to cover up our laziness.

Is Dow "likely" to redshirt? Was that said by CMP/staff?

What do you brain surgeons want CMP to say, or do, recruiting wise? Lie? Tell them what they want to hear? Hand out some cash? Seriously, what do you know that CMP doesn't? If the kid doesn't want to play for PU, then so be it. I am not going to blame the coach or a kid's decision. If he don't want to play at PU, then he dead to me anyway.

So...….instead of "complaining" about CMP's recruiting...…...let's hear some solutions. And cheating is not an option.....at least for me.

You’re clearly not in sales. Can you imagine telling your boss, well they didn’t want to buy from us, so be it. I just don’t think Painter is a salesman.

I don’t think anyone condones cheating but clearly his approach stinks. I think it’s equally important how the pieces of a puzzle fit together as how many stars are behind someone’s name. With that being said, I think Painter does a good job in this area. It’s equally important what is not said as it is what’s said.

it was said that coaches Paterno and Bowdin did very little actual recruiting. and that their assistants were the ones that brought recruits into their programs, and they basically shook hands with the recruit when they came to campus.

I realize basketball is a lot different than football. But when I look at other recruiting sites that include the lead recruiter, typically when it comes to Purdue, I usually either see Painter's name, or I see nothing. For many of the other schools, I see assistant coach's names listed. Admittedly, recruiting sites can't update everything. however, they were updated crediting assistant football coaches for recruits. To me, this omission of Purdue assistant coaches against players says something.

You’re clearly not in sales. Can you imagine telling your boss, well they didn’t want to buy from us, so be it. I just don’t think Painter is a salesman.

I don’t think anyone condones cheating but clearly his approach stinks. I think it’s equally important how the pieces of a puzzle fit together as how many stars are behind someone’s name. With that being said, I think Painter does a good job in this area. It’s equally important what is not said as it is what’s said.

So...…….once again...…..what do you guys want CMP to say about PU basketball that will "close the deal". Clearly, you fellas think CMP doesn't know what he's doing after all these years...…..so what would you say? I mean if it is as easy as that......then what should be said? Seriously, if the honest approach doesn't work in your eyes, then what lie or sleazy sales pitch would do the trick?

Reactions: old 23
So...…….once again...…..what do you guys want CMP to say about PU basketball that will "close the deal". Clearly, you fellas think CMP doesn't know what he's doing after all these years...…..so what would you say? I mean if it is as easy as that......then what should be said? Seriously, if the honest approach doesn't work in your eyes, then what lie or sleazy sales pitch would do the trick?
Malik Hall -

You are going to be a starter from day one.

Did you see the green light we gave an elite scorer like Carsen? You will get the same.

Did you see Carsen become an AA and All Big Ten in his second year at Purdue? That’s because we develop and you will be the next jersey hanging from the rafters.

Do you want to be center piece of a Big Ten Title Team? Then just say yes to playing for Purdue.

You can go to any place that has offered you but you want to be special and you want to be the face of a program. Be part of this program.

There. Happy?

Reactions: BoilerIron
Malik Hall -

Did you see the green light we gave an elite scorer like Carsen? You will get the same.

Did you see Carsen become an AA and All Big Ten in his second year at Purdue? That’s because we develop and you will be the next jersey hanging from the rafters.

Do you want to be center piece of a Big Ten Title Team? Then just say yes to playing for Purdue.

You can go to any place that has offered you but you want to be special and you want to be the face of a program. Be part of this program.

There. Happy?

I'm totally happy because I think CMP's honest approach is fine. Aside from the first comment, I'm sure CMP covers the rest of your sales pitch anyway. Several recruits/players have remarked how much they appreciated the direct approach CMP brought to the table. At least they knew where they stood before committing. Having a coach basically lie from the get go is not a good thing, IMO.

Malik Hall -

There. Happy?
When that said kid get on campus and all that a coach promised a player doesn’t happen now what happens. Those are lies no matter how you slice it promising starter minutes no matter your status some coaches are true to their word you earn your playing time. I’ve seen that happened can ruin the locker room and ruin a team chemistry. Some coaches do promise those things Trae Young and look were it got that team towards the end. Micheal porter didn’t play all season but 3 games team chemistry was broken is it worth it. We’ll see how that works for Indiana this season. I’ve seen it all trust me lying to get certain higher ranking kids could turn out not to be the best for the team.

Malik Hall -

There. Happy?

As long as you play D.

I've read several posts from players as to why they chose a certain place. Most of them all say they know what to expect at Purdue and from Painter. I'm not sure if that's bad or good. I've also read some players say they felt more needed and loved by certain coaches of other teams.

I haven't read one tweet by a player that said he chose Purdue because of our great academics. if a player wants academics, they go to Stanford or an Ivy league school. Michigan's academics are as great as Purdue.

but mostly in reading tweets/interviews by players like Langford, Tyger and Okoro, they don't talk about being promised they would start or be made a star. They already expect that to happen. They talk about the love and attention and the fit. maybe Matt needs to show more LOVE and attention and be less basketball oriented.

I'm sort of serious. All of the players say what a great basketball program Purdue has. but they chose another school based on factors the coach has no real control over. and the off the court (not academic) factors.

another theory: it's a documented fact that friends recruit friends. look at the three amigos. They all played AAU ball basically together and already knew each other. I have to believe they influenced each other to commit to Purdue. Carsen played with Langford on the USA team. if the two hit it off, Carsen could have been our greatest recruiting tool to draw Langford to Purdue. maybe a lot of these elite athletes like the Purdue basketball program, but they are just not pals with our current players? How many of our players are regular tweeters and friends with other elite players? I say this because my son is a college athlete who tweets. He read some of Haas' tweets coming out of high school, and he rolled his eyes. is it possible our players and recruits are turning off other players and recruits from their high school and AAU games? is it possible that Phinisee didn't want to play on the same team as Hunter? there were several posts made by respected posters on this board that said flatly that Bowen would never play for the same college team with a certain player together. there had to be something for them to make that comment.

my solution/answer? make an elite player a priority early. get that player to commit a year earlier than others like Isiah did, and then allow that player to work his magic and recruit his friends. it worked for Duke. it worked for UK. it almost worked for Vanderbilt. Langford almost joined his two buddies.

it's been said a lot of schools have pipelines to certain schools/prep academies. That would suggest the players are already friends and know each other and want to go to college together. We all know examples of package deals.

I sincerely believe player friendship is a lot bigger factor in recruiting than is admitted. And Painter doesn't have much control over that other than to start recruiting multiple players from the same school or AAU team. Painter used to recruit a lot of Illinois Wolves (AAU) . Painter's current recruiting efforts seem to be scattered rather than trying to develop a pipeline with a certain AAU team.

Last edited:
I've read several posts from players as to why they chose a certain place. Most of them all say they know what to expect at Purdue and from Painter. I'm not sure if that's bad or good. I've also read some players say they felt more needed and loved by certain coaches of other teams.

I haven't read one tweet by a player that said he chose Purdue because of our great academics. if a player wants academics, they go to Stanford or an Ivy league school. Michigan's academics are as great as Purdue.

but mostly in reading tweets/interviews by players like Langford, Tyger and Okoro, they don't talk about being promised they would start or be made a star. They already expect that to happen. They talk about the love and attention and the fit. maybe Matt needs to show more LOVE and attention and be less basketball oriented.

I'm sort of serious. All of the players say what a great basketball program Purdue has. but they chose another school based on factors the coach has no real control over. and the off the court (not academic) factors.

another theory: it's a documented fact that friends recruit friends. look at the three amigos. They all played AAU ball basically together and already knew each other. I have to believe they influenced each other to commit to Purdue. Carsen played with Langford on the USA team. if the two hit it off, Carsen could have been our greatest recruiting tool to draw Langford to Purdue. maybe a lot of these elite athletes like the Purdue basketball program, but they are just not pals with our current players? How many of our players are regular tweeters and friends with other elite players? I say this because my son is a college athlete who tweets. He read some of Haas' tweets coming out of high school, and he rolled his eyes. is it possible our players and recruits are turning off other players and recruits from their high school and AAU games? is it possible that Phinisee didn't want to play on the same team as Hunter? and although TReed denies it, there were several posts made by respected posters on this board that said flatly that her son and Bowen would never play for the same college team together. there had to be something for them to make that comment.

my solution/answer? make an elite player a priority early. get that player to commit a year earlier than others like Isiah did, and then allow that player to work his magic and recruit his friends. it worked for Duke. it worked for UK. it almost worked for Vanderbilt. Langford almost joined his two buddies.

it's been said a lot of schools have pipelines to certain schools/prep academies. That would suggest the players are already friends and know each other and want to go to college together. We all know examples of package deals.

I sincerely believe player friendship is a lot bigger factor in recruiting than is admitted. And Painter doesn't have much control over that other than to start recruiting multiple players from the same school or AAU team. Painter used to recruit a lot of Illinois Wolves (AAU) . Painter's current recruiting efforts seem to be scattered rather than trying to develop a pipeline with a certain AAU team.
I’m not denying anything do not go putting words in my mouth about something neither me or my son said. They played on same AAU that was it they had no issues with each other so get your facts right before you go saying things that are not true. I don’t care what was reported by whatever source you got information from it didn’t come from my mouth or my sons mouth so Bowen made his own decisions my son made his and last I check Bowen didn’t even receive an offer from Purdue so why are you keep on insisting talking about something that isn’t remotely true. Plz keep my name out of your mouth and saying things that was never said by me or my son

If stars don't matter, why has there only been one national champion since 1978 without one?
247Sports has only been around since 2010. The founders may not have even been born in 1978. Since they are the only source you choose to rely on, how can you make this claim about 1978? You have made the claim multiple times. You may want to rethink the logic of your arguments before dismissing other people's sources for rating players.

I’m not denying anything do not go putting words in my mouth about something neither me or my son said. They played on same AAU that was it they had no issues with each other so get your facts right before you go saying things that are not true. I don’t care what was reported by whatever source you got information from it didn’t come from my mouth or my sons mouth so Bowen made his own decisions my son made his and last I check Bowen didn’t even receive an offer from Purdue so why are you keep on insisting talking about something that isn’t remotely true. Plz keep my name out of your mouth and saying things that was never said by me or my son

TReed -
I've never said that you said those words. I've said that you've denied saying them many times. I never said you said anything about Bowen.

So why do I keep bringing it up? because there are some threads on this forum about Bowen before you became a member here that you may not have read. and I would advise you to read them if they still exist. They are not negative about your son. They are negative about Bowen. and your son's name was included in several posts as part of the discussion about Bowen. And unlike many here, I believe you deserve the right to know what was said before you became a member here.

I edited this post and a previous post. I can't edit the other posts made or the rumor.

Last edited:
TReed -
I've never said that you said those words. I've said that you've denied saying them many times. I never said you said anything about Bowen.

So why do I keep bringing it up? because there are some threads on this forum about Bowen before you became a member here that you haven't read. and I would advise you to read them if they still exist. They are not negative about your son. They are negative about Bowen. and your son's name was included in several posts as part of the discussion about Bowen. And unlike many here, I believe you deserve the right to know what was said before you became a member here.

if you trust me, or doubt me, send me an email or look me up on facebook under deer wolegib (backwards). I'll tell you the truth about what was said on this board before you joined it.
Sir I had read or saw many posts about that very same rumor of which isn’t true even before I became a member on this site. Remember both were being pursued heavily by Michigan state which is how it all started. The past is the past and you keep bringing up the past I’m asking you nicely plz leave my name out of that conversation all together plz do not associate me or my son with anything other than they were teammates on same aau team at one point that’s about it. Use other ways to get your point across but leave my name out of your mouth bcuz you bringing up old news that I personally don’t care about anymore. I understand your point you trying to make but enough is enough now plz drop it thank you.

if you trust me,
No one here does.

or doubt me,
Everyone here does and should.

send me an email or look me up on facebook
That is just creepy.

I'll tell you the truth about what was said on this board before you joined it.
No you will tell your truth. Which is never usually the same as the real truth. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I can guarantee whatever you say is fabricated.

@Treed, it's just best to put people like this on ignore or do like I do and just read their posts for entertainment purposes because they hold no higher value. His posts are in the same realm as those crying that we don't play zone, meaning there is zero basis in fact or reality and just off the cuff emotional rants.

Last edited:
No one here does.

Everyone here does and should.

That is just creepy.

No you will tell your truth. Which is never usually the same as the real truth. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I can guarantee whatever you say is fabricated.

@Treed, it's just best to put people like this on ignore or do like I do and just read their posts for entertainment purposes because they hold no higher value. His posts are in the same realm as those crying that we don't play zone, meaning there is zero basis in fact or reality and just off the cuff emotional rants.

I edited two previous posts.

Boiled steel, I believe you can now see and believe I didn't make up the rumor about Bowen. You don't have to believe me. I didn't start the rumor, but it does exist and it was posted on this board. And many others have read it and know about it. And like the losses to cincy, Little Rock, Kansas and Texas tech should we be barred from ever discussing it here because it's painful? Should we never talk about the other more painful side of recruiting? the problem is that recruiting is ugly and full of lies. Should we never discuss that side of recruiting?

When you talk about recruiting it's easy and pleasant to talk about players who are friends wanting to play for the same team and when that happens it's a nice feel good story. But nobody ever wants to discuss where the opposite may be true.

I'm not fabricating anything. I'm just repeating what was already posted on this board. All I've said is as part of Bowen's recruiting , many rumors were posted on THIS board. That's a fact. I never said the rumors were factual. but rather, it's a fact that rumors do exist. And unfortunately, once a rumor is posted on a public forum such as this, there will always be somebody who references the rumor. and that's part of my point. I don't know where the rumor started, or who started it. but that rumor surfaced on our board. Should we not discuss it because it was just a rumor? Should we not discuss the ugly side and negative side of recruiting?

Last edited:
247Sports has only been around since 2010. The founders may not have even been born in 1978. Since they are the only source you choose to rely on, how can you make this claim about 1978? You have made the claim multiple times. You may want to rethink the logic of your arguments before dismissing other people's sources for rating players.
I think @BoilerIron is talking about McDonald's All American's.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/XKQ2C0...ns-does-it-take-to-win-the-ncaa-tournament.htm

Reactions: BoilerIron
His mom is on record stating it is false yet you keep pointing to people starting a rumor as some source of truth.

Let it go.

my post was a reflection of this board. this board is full of rumors and opinions. and this board often asks people , "what have you heard?"

I can be easily placed on ignore or even be banned. but once a rumor is started, it is very hard to completely destroy it. You may be able to delete it from view on this board, but how many other boards shared and discussed the same rumor?

Rumors may be deleted in print, but it's obvious they can never be deleted from a person's memory.

at your request, I'll let it go.

my post was a reflection of this board. this board is full of rumors and opinions. and this board often asks people , "what have you heard?"

I can be easily placed on ignore or even be banned. but once a rumor is started, it is very hard to completely destroy it. You may be able to delete it from view on this board, but how many other boards shared and discussed the same rumor?

Rumors may be deleted in print, but it's obvious they can never be deleted from a person's memory.

at your request, I'll let it go.
Let it go why are you still bringing those rumors up that started while he was still in HS over 2 years ago but you still trying to justify why you keep bringing it up rumors or not.

I edited two previous posts.

Boiled steel, I believe you can now see and believe I didn't make up the rumor about Bowen. You don't have to believe me. I didn't start the rumor, but it does exist and it was posted on this board. And many others have read it and know about it. And like the losses to cincy, Little Rock, Kansas and Texas tech should we be barred from ever discussing it here because it's painful? Should we never talk about the other more painful side of recruiting? the problem is that recruiting is ugly and full of lies. Should we never discuss that side of recruiting?

When you talk about recruiting it's easy and pleasant to talk about players who are friends wanting to play for the same team and when that happens it's a nice feel good story. But nobody ever wants to discuss where the opposite may be true.

I'm not fabricating anything. I'm just repeating what was already posted on this board. All I've said is as part of Bowen's recruiting , many rumors were posted on THIS board. That's a fact. I never said the rumors were factual. but rather, it's a fact that rumors do exist. And unfortunately, once a rumor is posted on a public forum such as this, there will always be somebody who references the rumor. and that's part of my point. I don't know where the rumor started, or who started it. but that rumor surfaced on our board. Should we not discuss it because it was just a rumor? Should we not discuss the ugly side and negative side of recruiting?
Yet you the only one keep bringing this rumor up for the 2nd time in a row and mentioning my name of which you crossed the line. Just keep me and my son out of your conversation let this rumor be just that bcuz no matter who said what on what message board they are not FACTS bcuz what was said never came out of me or my son mouth.

Langford = Adidas
$$$$$$$$ Someone got paid to deliver Langford to IU after Louisville fell apart. Who....a certain AAU program where a member of the family gets paid to run it. Legal...right now it is. Shady as hell and morally corrupt...right now it is. Lil' Archie learned a whole lot from his big brother.

Malik Hall -

There. Happy?
As a coach you promise two things:
  1. The opportunity to EARN playing time
  2. The opportunity to get a degree if you work hard.
Any thing else promised and I don't want that coach around my players or sons.

ADVERTISEMENT