ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Question

Come on math, I clearly pointed to 247 sports composite rankings, which I (and most) believe to be the best rankings.

Those players are all 3* recruits in those rankings.

So your favourite ranking site is the one that ranks our recruits lower than others for some reason, and you are disappointed in Painter’s recruiting somehow? How shocking.

Okay. There does seem to be a real difference of opinion on the matter. Most other services do rank Hunter and Williams as 4 stars. Dow has been all over the place from unranked to 4 Star. I have seen Thompson as bot 3 & 4 star rated.

Use which ever rating service you think most accurate. I did read that 247 does not have as much insight into the Midwest as other sites, so they rely heavily on the AAU activity. That can skew their ratings.
There are two rankings on the 247 site. One is the 247 ranking which is the opinion of the 247 writers. One is the composite ranking which is an average of all recruiting services rankings. This is the reason so many people go by what 247 composite comes back with.

So your favourite ranking site is the one that ranks our recruits lower than others for some reason, and you are disappointed in Painter’s recruiting somehow? How shocking.
247 composite is an average of all other recruiting service rankings. I can't help that it doesn't favor our recruits more. It favors our plan A guys fairly well though. Maybe our guys would be ranked higher if we landed more of those.

There are two rankings on the 247 site. One is the 247 ranking which is the opinion of the 247 writers. One is the composite ranking which is an average of all recruiting services rankings. This is the reason so many people go by what 247 composite comes back with.

You keep writing that, but repeating it doesn't make it so.

I casually follow recruiting, and couldn't give a fat rat's arse who claims to have the best secret sauce. Do I like the product, or not?

So far, I do. Do I want the product to be better?

Sure. But these threads that are clearly thinly-veiled shots at people serve no purpose at all.

NONE.

You keep writing that, but repeating it doesn't make it so.

I casually follow recruiting, and couldn't give a fat rat's arse who claims to have the best secret sauce. Do I like the product, or not?

So far, I do. Do I want the product to be better?

Sure. But these threads that are clearly thinly-veiled shots at people serve no purpose at all.

NONE.
So it's better to find a recruiting service that fits a narrative rather than an average of all recruiting services? Got it.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
So it's better to find a recruiting service that fits a narrative rather than an average of all recruiting services? Got it.
Let's see if that works...

One service doesn't rank Dow at all so that's a zero. Two services that see him play rank him as a four star. 8 / 3 = 2.67 (3 stars).

Any recruiting service that depends on AAU play and raw averages of rankings is subject to gross errors.

Reactions: chaspark
Let's see if that works...

One service doesn't rank Dow at all so that's a zero. Two services that see him play rank him as a four star. 8 / 3 = 2.67 (3 stars).
Go look up the composite calculation.

Also, as Dow is likely to redshirt, arguing that he is a good recruit is probably not a great idea...

1. where did you get that?
2. so it's your narrative that Painter's recruiting sucks?
1. You said you don't care what recruiting services say implying that you are satisfied with our recruiting.
2. Yes, Painter's recruiting sucks given our recent success.

Is Dow "likely" to redshirt? Was that said by CMP/staff?

What do you brain surgeons want CMP to say, or do, recruiting wise? Lie? Tell them what they want to hear? Hand out some cash? Seriously, what do you know that CMP doesn't? If the kid doesn't want to play for PU, then so be it. I am not going to blame the coach or a kid's decision. If he don't want to play at PU, then he dead to me anyway.

So...….instead of "complaining" about CMP's recruiting...…...let's hear some solutions. And cheating is not an option.....at least for me.

Is Dow "likely" to redshirt? Was that said by CMP/staff?

What do you brain surgeons want CMP to say, or do, recruiting wise? Lie? Tell them what they want to hear? Hand out some cash? Seriously, what do you know that CMP doesn't? If the kid doesn't want to play for PU, then so be it. I am not going to blame the coach or a kid's decision. If he don't want to play at PU, then he dead to me anyway.

So...….instead of "complaining" about CMP's recruiting...…...let's hear some solutions. And cheating is not an option.....at least for me.
Tell them what they want to hear.

Show them why Purdue fits them better than x school (negative recruiting to some).

Fire Gary and Lutz and bring in some elite recruiters, that have many in-state/midwest ties (ie. Schilling).

Fire Gary and Lutz and bring in some elite recruiters, that have many in-state/midwest ties (ie. Schilling).
You’re ready to get rid of Lutz after 1 year?

I’m on board with Gary. He has been here long enough and not sure he is bringing in guys.

Tell them what they want to hear.

Show them why Purdue fits them better than x school (negative recruiting to some).

And you honestly don't think they do this already? Now, I don't know how to recruit kids like you guys...…..but I'm sure the kids get the whole "treatment", short of getting their d*ck sucked, when on their visits.

You’re ready to get rid of Lutz after 1 year?

I’m on board with Gary. He has been here long enough and not sure he is bringing in guys.
2019 is his third class right? I would easily trade him for a guy like Schilling right now. He didn't have some great track record when he was hired.

And you honestly don't think they do this already? Now, I don't know how to recruit kids like you guys...…..but I'm sure the kids get the whole "treatment", short of getting their d*ck sucked, when on their visits.
No I don't think they do this. Based on everything we have heard, no matter if they are Grant Weatherford or Jaren Jackson, they get the "if you come in and work really hard, you could get some playing time early on".

As for negative recruiting, Painter went on radio this week and talked up IU and it's hold on the southern half of the state.

2019 is his third class right? I would easily trade him for a guy like Schilling right now. He didn't have some great track record when he was hired.
No. This is his second. If we don’t see results for the 2019 class then I’m fine with moving on from him.

1. You said you don't care what recruiting services say implying that you are satisfied with our recruiting.
2. Yes, Painter's recruiting sucks given our recent success.

No, I didn't say that.

Stop trying so hard to be so polarizing. If people don't completely agree with you it hurts your cause to try to paint them as the extreme.

As to #2, that's a theory/opinion. And you're welcome to it.

Reactions: mathboy
No I don't think they do this. Based on everything we have heard, no matter if they are Grant Weatherford or Jaren Jackson, they get the "if you come in and work really hard, you could get some playing time early on".

As for negative recruiting, Painter went on radio this week and talked up IU and it's hold on the southern half of the state.

Just curious, lying is ok with you......cheating too? Would you support that coach? BTW, I have it on good authority that CMP had his fingers crossed...….
No, I didn't say that.

Stop trying so hard to be so polarizing. If people don't completely agree with you it hurts your cause to try to paint them as the extreme.

As to #2, that's a theory/opinion. And you're welcome to it.

And #2...…….he's an IU troll

Just curious, lying is ok with you......cheating too? Would you support that coach? BTW, I have it on good authority that CMP had his fingers crossed...….

And #2...…….he's an IU troll
1. No cheating is not ok with me.

2. Thank you for your contribution to this post. I truly value your opinion on my fandom.

Have you spent time in the southern part of Indiana? The second coming of Christ is third behind Bobby Knight and IU basketball. It is a cult that has an endless supply of kool-Aid and they drink it every day. It's inbred and volatile.

How many one and dones has Painter recruited to Purdue in 13 years? I'm missing your point, so in our case it's irrelevant.
So, since you missed my point, you deem it not relevant. - "Irrelevant" is not a word, by the way.

that sounds like an arbitrary bar. why not higher? why not lower?

your reply has a random feel to it.
Because he hasn't shown the ability to do either of those things. It would certainly end a major drought for both.

Why not higher? Because I'm trying to be realistic. Expecting Painter to real in a 5* is unrealistic.

Why not lower? Because anything lower than top 100 doenst help us advance passes the sweet 16 in the tournament.

Hmm not sure why this is even a question.....

CMP has 5 4 Stars on the team now (Haarms, Eastern, Hunter, Dow and Williams and another 4 star committed for 2019 Thompson.

Also has 5 3 stars on team like Boogie, Wheeler, Cline, Boudreaux and Sasha.

Step away from the ledge.....

Wat?

Haarms was a low 3-star, something like 360th.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Because he hasn't shown the ability to do either of those things. It would certainly end a major drought for both.

Why not higher? Because I'm trying to be realistic. Expecting Painter to real in a 5* is unrealistic.

Why not lower? Because anything lower than top 100 doenst help us advance passes the sweet 16 in the tournament.

I'm not sure he wants a 5*.

Let me be clear: I think he wants a 5*, but on his terms. And I have no problem with that.

So... "multiple top 100 recruits, or ... one top 50 recruit" gets us past the sweet 16?

No. It doesn't work that way. On either side.

Reactions: chaspark

6_3523333.JPG

Reactions: Schnelk
I'm not sure he wants a 5*.

Let me be clear: I think he wants a 5*, but on his terms. And I have no problem with that.

So... "multiple top 100 recruits, or ... one top 50 recruit" gets us past the sweet 16?

No. It doesn't work that way. On either side.
He sure goes after a bunch of 5* not to want one lol.

Yes, multiple top 100 players and top 50 talent give us a way better shot at the elite 8 than the current talent.

swanigan is a decent example right?
in addition to the unique parent situation,
I believe he was the first painter recruit to have special accommodation for housing, diet, etc.

I don't think this is breaking any rules, but was also not common for purdue in the past. maybe more aspects like that could lure in the more elite players.

Reactions: BoilerIron
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT