ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting comparison

Kind of a silly thing to compare ND and Purdue recruiting. Besides, the real story here is the numbers, and perhaps talent gap, are much closer than they would have been any time in the last 10-15 years. There are actually several players on the Purdue roster that were recruited by the likes of Notre Dame - GK, Bell, Grant, Hartwig, King, Yanni, TJ (sorta). The last time these teams met that number was probably 0 or close to it.

This analysis makes absolutely zero sense. First of all, they're comparing star ratings of offensive players vs defensive players. Secondly, Notre Dame recruits better?? That's shocking. If it makes their fans feel better about their less than stellar past couple of games, I guess that's fine...

Kind of a silly thing to compare ND and Purdue recruiting. Besides, the real story here is the numbers, and perhaps talent gap, are much closer than they would have been any time in the last 10-15 years. There are actually several players on the Purdue roster that were recruited by the likes of Notre Dame - GK, Bell, Grant, Hartwig, King, Yanni, TJ (sorta). The last time these teams met that number was probably 0 or close to it.
ND actually did not recruit most of those players. GK was the one ND fans are still upset by. He worked out at ND (and OSU) and both stopped recruiting him afterwards surprisingly. ND was very interested in Bell but couldn’t recruit because he wasn’t even close to getting through admissions. ND never went at Yanni (Clark Lea didn’t want him for some reason). They moved on quickly from King once they got the word from Tyree. They hadn’t spoke to TJ for over 6 months when he committed and obviously his initial early offer wasn’t commitable. ND never offered Hartwig & never got pass initial conversations with Grant, so ND didn’t recruit them at all.

ND actually did not recruit most of those players. GK was the one ND fans are still upset by. He worked out at ND (and OSU) and both stopped recruiting him afterwards surprisingly. ND was very interested in Bell but couldn’t recruit because he wasn’t even close to getting through admissions. ND never went at Yanni (Clark Lea didn’t want him for some reason). They moved on quickly from King once they got the word from Tyree. They hadn’t spoke to TJ for over 6 months when he committed and obviously his initial early offer wasn’t commitable. ND never offered Hartwig & never got pass initial conversations with Grant, so ND didn’t recruit them at all.
GTFOH with this

Yeah Notre Dame's famous "admissions" standards.

Not really interested in splitting hairs with you on this. But by your admission most of them were in fact recruited by ND. Being recruited doesn't always result in a commitable offer. However, if you check their profiles, most of the aforementioned do in fact list an ND offer and offers from programs of similar prestige ("the likes of") such as OSU and UM. You're missing the forest for the trees wrt my comment.

Reactions: pboiler18 and DAG10
Your comment on Bell might be the funniest thing I've heard. He's an academic all Big Ten recipient. Especially considering the sanctions for academic misconduct by Notre Dame...

ND and purdue recruit different types of players based on their coach's style of play. ND has usually recruited option Qbs, and Purdue has usually recruited pro style Qbs. ND likes to run, and purdue likes to pass. That hasn't changed in over 50 years. brohm likes to recruit in state and down in SEC country. ND has a more national recruiting base.

in the past ND would recruit better and bigger linemen, whereas Purdue would recruit smaller sized linemen and hoped they would get bigger and better through red shirting and conditioning and weight training. brohm is finally starting to recruit bigger offensive linemen. Hartwig was probably purdue's best offensive lineman recruit in the past decade. and this year's offensive linemen recruits all look improved and bigge than the type of linemen purdue recruited in the past.

it should be noted that purdue is one of the hardest schools in the BIG 10 to gain admittance. and the players Purdue has recruited have a lot of intelligence. there have bee n a few players who did not meet purdue's entrance requirements.

Something i give brohm credit for. he is always looking for talent. he looks at high schools, JCs, transfer portals, grad transfers and even overseas for talent.

as for Gk, i remember painter was once one of the prime recruiters of that basketball player who ended up being the #1 recruit and went to gonzaga. Even though purdue didn't make his final 5, Purdue did actively recruit him. and its' the same for GK. ND tried to recruit him, but he decllared very early in the recruiting process, so they admitted defeat, and looked elsewhere. Yanni was similar.. UW and other schools tried to recruit him. just because a player shows no interest in your school doesn't mean your school didn't try to recruit him.

I wonder about the guy who got away - Spegal. I heard ND was at one time considering recruiting him. He would have made a great sequel to Rudy.

You continue to just spew garbage, and, arrogant a$$hole garbage at that.

I love it anytime ND loses...love it more when they get their a$$ kicked...love it the most when Purdue is the one that kicks their a$$ like they did in '04.

There simply is no more pompous and arrogant fanbase in the world...and, you certainly represent them well here.

ND and purdue recruit different types of players based on their coach's style of play. ND has usually recruited option Qbs, and Purdue has usually recruited pro style Qbs. ND likes to run, and purdue likes to pass. That hasn't changed in over 50 years. brohm likes to recruit in state and down in SEC country. ND has a more national recruiting base.

in the past ND would recruit better and bigger linemen, whereas Purdue would recruit smaller sized linemen and hoped they would get bigger and better through red shirting and conditioning and weight training. brohm is finally starting to recruit bigger offensive linemen. Hartwig was probably purdue's best offensive lineman recruit in the past decade. and this year's offensive linemen recruits all look improved and bigge than the type of linemen purdue recruited in the past.

it should be noted that purdue is one of the hardest schools in the BIG 10 to gain admittance. and the players Purdue has recruited have a lot of intelligence. there have bee n a few players who did not meet purdue's entrance requirements.

Something i give brohm credit for. he is always looking for talent. he looks at high schools, JCs, transfer portals, grad transfers and even overseas for talent.

as for Gk, i remember painter was once one of the prime recruiters of that basketball player who ended up being the #1 recruit and went to gonzaga. Even though purdue didn't make his final 5, Purdue did actively recruit him. and its' the same for GK. ND tried to recruit him, but he decllared very early in the recruiting process, so they admitted defeat, and looked elsewhere. Yanni was similar.. UW and other schools tried to recruit him. just because a player shows no interest in your school doesn't mean your school didn't try to recruit him.

I wonder about the guy who got away - Spegal. I heard ND was at one time considering recruiting him. He would have made a great sequel to Rudy.
NJ... NY... PA... MI... IL... OH... VA... CA... AZ... etc.

Those states ain't SEC country, dude.

Does he recruit in GA, TX, FL, etc.? Yes.

Brohm's staff recruits all over. It's a far cry from "Indiana and SEC country".

Please do some research.

World renowned Half-Wit Laughing Stock Manti Teo got in but David Bell couldn’t… man you Domer Subway Alums sure are stupid….

I'm having a chuckle trying to picture guys like Jack Coan, Tommy Rees, Jimmy Clausen, and Brady Quinn running an option offense.

^^^^ Revisionist History ^^^^^

NJ... NY... PA... MI... IL... OH... VA... CA... AZ... etc.

Those states ain't SEC country, dude.

Does he recruit in GA, TX, FL, etc.? Yes.

Brohm's staff recruits all over. It's a far cry from "Indiana and SEC country".

Please do some research.
Maybe i should have rephased that from SEC country to the type of players SEC teams are also recruiting. To me that's the same thing. When you look at the players' offers most of them also have offers from SEC teams.

I think of Ohio, Mich, Illinois, Kentucky as basically being in sate. Brohm has stated he wanted to increase instate recruiting. They are close enough to travel to by car.

Last edited:

^^^ This ^^^

EVERY program recruits players, and if/when they find that Player X is not interested, they back off and move on to a Player Y. That happens everywhere. ND has a storied program and has stronger recruiting success...so much so that arrogant ND fans interpret that any time they move on to Player Y it must mean that "we decided Player X wasn't good enough to be a Leprechaun."

This ND arrogance is what makes most other fan bases hate them for than any other storied program (more than LOTS of programs who have had way more recent success than ND).

Reactions: DAG10
Maybe i should have rephased that from SEC country to the type of players SEC teams are also recruiting. To me that's the same thing. When you look at the players' offers most of them also have offers from SEC teams.

I think of Ohio, Mich, Illinois, Kentucky as basically being in sate. Brohm has stated he wanted to increase instate recruiting. They are close enough to travel to by car.
Or, maybe just phrased it accurately?

"...the type of players SEC teams are also recruiting." That would be ... "talented" players. That's not an "SEC" player. It's just a player.

And, no... OH... MI... IL... KY... they are not "in state". Never have been, never will be.

Otherwise, your point was "spot on".

Reactions: RossMackey
Or, maybe just phrased it accurately?

"...the type of players SEC teams are also recruiting." That would be ... "talented" players. That's not an "SEC" player. It's just a player.

And, no... OH... MI... IL... KY... they are not "in state". Never have been, never will be.

Otherwise, your point was "spot on".

Wole's statement was almost as ridiculous as David Bell wouldn't get past admissions at Notre Dame to play football.

You’re a clown dude. STFU

Yeah Notre Dame's famous "admissions" standards.

4 years ago when my son was searching for colleges, the average ACT score at ND (presumably for incoming freshman) was 34. I'll go out on a limb and say they don't include football players in that computation.

Different schools have different admissions requirements.

As for my statement, it was made in general terms. I didn't realize i needed to write one of my epic posts that was 24 pages long. To please the majority here, i was trying to be brief. I have learned from my mistake.

Brohm has stepped up the in-state and near state recruiting verses the two previous coaches. he has reached into Kentucky, Illinois, and Michigan and Ohio. Brohm has also started recruiting players that in the past were SEC targets. For the most part, Brohm has stopped recruiting the players who only had offers from MAC and lesser teams. Brohm has set his target on higher ranked and more talented players. he's competing in recruiting against the BIG schools rather than the previous Western, Central, northern michigans, toledos, marshalls, and Western kentucky schools of the world. In the past I would ask bluntly why is purdue offering a player that has rreceivd 0 other offers from any other BIG 10 school? Brohm has changed that . in the past, i could never understand why purdue would waste their time, energy and money recruiting a player no other team in the BIG 1 including indiana felt was worthy of even considering. that totally boggled my mind. i could understand if a player only had three offers and the other two were from SIU and Central Alabama, that he would accept the purdue offer. But why did purdue offer in the first place? Thankfully, brohm has basically eliminated that practice. We are NOT marshall. we should be better than them.

When it comes to areas of recruiting, JC's, grad transfers and portal transfers normally would not be included when discussing an area of recruiting. When you talk about recruiting in general terms, you usually refer to only high school recruits, as those are the players that recruiting class rankings are based on.

and in my opinion, if you sign one player from a state, that doesn't mean you are recruiting that state. it means one player decided he liked purdue over his other choices in life. Sure a player from California and new jersey are coming to purdue. that doesn't mean Purdue is extensively recruiting players from those states. there will always be exceptions to the rule.

Reactions: C'ville Boiler

Steve Wiltfong on your 247 board today shot down the idea that Bell couldn’t get into ND lol. So as usual, you were wrong @NDAFArly

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT