ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting class grade

If there were no coaching change and this was the final class what grade would you give it?

• A

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • B

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • C

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • D

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • F

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Hazell was hired in 2013. That class featured 23 players. Seven of them were 2*.
As I mentioned before, I think Walters first class is better than Brohm’s first and both of them were clearly better than Hazell’s.
I wouldn't read too much into that. Check out the big ten and national rankings. Apparently there's been some real ratings inflation the last 10 or so years.

It's 13th because it has fewer players. The average rank of the recruit is comparable to the teams were competing against. After the 1st 4 or so teams we all have basically comparable talent, the question is what does the coach do with it.
Although it does appear that Purdue and Rutgers are the only conference programs without a 4 star recruit. It’s to bad we lost Gilbert to Kentucky. Went to see him play this past fall and he was very impressive.

Although it does appear that Purdue and Rutgers are the only conference programs without a 4 star recruit. It’s to bad we lost Gilbert to Kentucky. Went to see him play this past fall and he was very impressive.
It seems like a high floor/low ceiling type class. I actually really like it largely because Purdue did so well in the state of Indiana. They might not be four stars, but they are much more likely to stay around as they develop into solid contributors.

He means that AOC became the starter because the other QBs in front of him were injured. He was probably 4th string when he played.
If by attrition you mean named him the starter in 2020 then benched Plummer to start him in 2021. But I don't think that's what most people mean by attrition.

Reactions: pboiler18
He means that AOC became the starter because the other QBs in front of him were injured. He was probably 4th string when he played.
Maybe I am not remembering correctly but pretty sure he was 3rd string and only by the slimmest of margins. Sindelar was clearly the starter but O’Connell had a great camp that year and Brohm had specifically talked about the competition between him and Plummer several times and how competitive it was. And while O’Connell (or Plummer) starting that year was due to injury (no way either was beating out Sindelar), I don’t think there is any way O’Connell wasn’t eventually beating out Plummer injuries or no in the years that followed.

Maybe I am not remembering correctly but pretty sure he was 3rd string and only by the slimmest of margins. Sindelar was clearly the starter but O’Connell had a great camp that year and Brohm had specifically talked about the competition between him and Plummer several times and how competitive it was. And while O’Connell (or Plummer) starting that year was due to injury (no way either was beating out Sindelar), I don’t think there is any way O’Connell wasn’t eventually beating out Plummer injuries or no in the years that followed.
Forgot Blough

Forgot Blough
Blough was gone. We are talking about the year of O’Connells first start right? The year before he was like 6 or 7th on the depth chart. But the year he ended up starting Sindelar was the starter and O’Connell and Plummer fought it out foe the backup slot. That was the year after Blough graduated.

I don’t know. My point is, O’Connell was eventually gonna start no matter what. Maybe not that year without Sindelar getting hurt but he was always going to beat out Plummer in my opinion.

Reactions: z_one and pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT