ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting class grade

If there were no coaching change and this was the final class what grade would you give it?

• A

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • B

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • C

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • D

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • F

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
If Brohm had not left and there were no coaching changes and this was the final recruiting class, what grade would you give it?

Walters has done a good job retaining players we had and filling needs.

I think it’s crazy to think any coach is going to come into a new program 2-3 weeks later than most new coaches and put together a good class.

It’s especially crazy to think we are going to recruit well with the slim NIL support we do have. Can you just put this bullshit to rest Wolegib?

This is not a criticism of Walters, but coach Prime put together an amazing class at Colorado in a short time. He was hired on December 3rd. Colorado is obviously not a football power.

Walters being an unknown coach, hired December 13th, probably did about as good as could be expected. This was not a particularly good class, but under the circumstances it was about as good as we could expect. Hopefully next years class will be a lot better. He just needs some success to have some name recognition.

Reactions: rgarlitz
This is not a criticism of Walters, but coach Prime put together an amazing class at Colorado in a short time. He was hired on December 3rd. Colorado is obviously not a football power.

Walters being an unknown coach, hired December 13th, probably did about as good as could be expected. This was not a particularly good class, but under the circumstances it was about as good as we could expect. Hopefully next years class will be a lot better. He just needs some success to have some name recognition.
Hype. NIL Money. We didn't have either. Prime gets a lot of media coverage....as did his getting the Colorado job. Of course kids are going to be excited to go out there and play for him. Are you really that excited to be coached by the former DC of Illinois? Sure, they had a great D last year but it wasnt a sexy hire.

Walters did as well as he could with what he has to work with here. Win games, recruits will come. They certainly did for Brohm...you just need to have a brand of football (on either side of the ball) that kids want to come and be a part of. Hard for a rookie head coach to have that established brand. First year results will be very important for this staff, seeing as they aren't in a rebuild....more of a stabilization and re-brand.

Hype. NIL Money. We didn't have either. Prime gets a lot of media coverage....as did his getting the Colorado job. Of course kids are going to be excited to go out there and play for him. Are you really that excited to be coached by the former DC of Illinois? Sure, they had a great D last year but it wasnt a sexy hire.

Walters did as well as he could with what he has to work with here. Win games, recruits will come. They certainly did for Brohm...you just need to have a brand of football (on either side of the ball) that kids want to come and be a part of. Hard for a rookie head coach to have that established brand. First year results will be very important for this staff, seeing as they aren't in a rebuild....more of a stabilization and re-brand.
Great point about year one results! That is why Walters referred to the acquisition of Hudson Card so much during his Big Ten interview and NSD press conference. He knows with the staff he has assembled combined with the local high school talent, a big year can propel Purdue for the next 4-5 years!

With Harrell running the offense with Hudson Card and this experienced offensive line. Along with a defensive staff that Walters knows and trust to follow his vision. I like how this is all coming together and it wouldn’t shock me to see W’s next season. Our TIME IS NOW! Boiler Up!

Keeping that TE was huge and getting Card was nice. I dont like the lack of depth coming in at OL and no real star WR but overall not bad for Walters.
Agreed. Im trying to be optimistic that the best receivers we could have gotten were actually already on campus. We do have Shef, Rice, and Yaseem...all who were 4 stars. Throw in Thompson and assuming everyone is healthy its probably as good as we could hope for.

NOTE: New pickup Branch could end up being great imo.

Reactions: tenwest
I like it that Walters says he likes to personally evaluate the players himself instead of just relying on questionable ratings. With Brohm, I always wondered where those supposedly talented players disappeared to several years later when they should have been ready to be on the field playing, instead of vanishing into a dark hole. We'll have to see how his evaluation of talent and character plays out in the future, but building a top defense he has had to evaluate players accurately. It shouldn't be like Brohm ignoring Mockabee.

I like it that Walters says he likes to personally evaluate the players himself instead of just relying on questionable ratings. With Brohm, I always wondered where those supposedly talented players disappeared to several years later when they should have been ready to be on the field playing, instead of vanishing into a dark hole. We'll have to see how his evaluation of talent and character plays out in the future, but building a top defense he has had to evaluate players accurately. It shouldn't be like Brohm ignoring Mockabee.
Brohm also ignored AOC, became the QB through attrition.

There is Wiltfong video where he suggests both Branch and Rodgers could be moved to corner.

Reactions: tenwest
Agreed. Im trying to be optimistic that the best receivers we could have gotten were actually already on campus. We do have Shef, Rice, and Yaseem...all who were 4 stars. Throw in Thompson and assuming everyone is healthy its probably as good as we could hope for.

NOTE: New pickup Branch could end up being great imo.
I'm waiting to see what Sullivan can do this year

the new CB from Stanford is a nice replacement for Trice. Do we get 2 yrs out of him?

If Brohm had not left and there were no coaching changes and this was the final recruiting class, what grade would you give it?
Whoa! Talk about a strawman! Had Brohm not left the whole recruiting class would look different.

Because many people want to provide an excuse for Walters not having enough time to get a solid class together
You really can't see the difference between spending two years putting a class together--visiting families and schools, building relationships--and two months cobbling together whatever's left?

Reactions: z_one
Whoa! Talk about a strawman! Had Brohm not left the whole recruiting class would look different.

You really can't see the difference between spending two years putting a class together--visiting families and schools, building relationships--and two months cobbling together whatever's left?
Pretty sure he is the same guy who defended Hazell recruiting (classes in the 70s and 80s) and then was critical of Brohm recruiting (two top 30 classes and probably averaged in the 40s) so take anything he says about recruiting with a grain of salt.

When you have a head coach leave you lose players. Happens everywhere. Nothing Walters could do about that. What he did after those losses was very impressive imo. Some very highly rated transfers who will make immediate improvement and impact. And some very interesting and athletic recruits out of high school. I read one article that was talking about multiple of recruits he brought in being able to play multiple positions at the college level. Improving speed and athleticism seems to be a priority and I am all for that. How will it turn out? Who knows. I am more impressed by Walters and his staff with each thing I read about them though.

The Rivals homepage has Purdue as the biggest loser. Blaming the small class, Gilbert flipping, and being one of only 2 B1G teams w/o a 4 star recruit.

Color me tired of hearing bad news on the football front.

Reactions: RBryant311
Jeff Brohm first class was 24 players, no four stars and was basically just a larger version of this class. Players from that class were part of a B10 west championship team this year. The class ranked 49 with 8 more guys. I’d say this years class is better when you take into account the transfers and JUCO Walters added.
Walters also did a great job of filling holes, and with guys who fit well with our new offensive and defensive schemes. I’m impressed for his first class/ short notice.

Jeff Brohm first class was 24 players, no four stars and was basically just a larger version of this class. Players from that class were part of a B10 west championship team this year. The class ranked 49 with 8 more guys. I’d say this years class is better when you take into account the transfers and JUCO Walters added.
Walters also did a great job of filling holes, and with guys who fit well with our new offensive and defensive schemes. I’m impressed for his first class/ short notice.
Thanks guys, I really liked this.
🚂

I’m not arguing - simply asking you to stop posting the same “I hate coach Walters and his recruiting” crap incessantly.
Again - give it a rest.
I never said i hated Walters and his recruiting. and i hate people who quote me incorrectly. and you're not even close. What I said is I've seen this all before, and we should expect the same type of posts we've all read for the last ten years. Purdue is what it is.

what I'm doing is comparing Walters' first recruiting class to hazell's first recruiting class. hazell recruited some decent players. But every other BIG 10 team recruited better ones. and you obviously don't want like the comparisons.

and when people misquote me for what i said, there are fools who believe that's what i said. they don't bother reading my posts, because they believe you must have quoted me.

The Rivals homepage has Purdue as the biggest loser. Blaming the small class, Gilbert flipping, and being one of only 2 B1G teams w/o a 4 star recruit.

Color me tired of hearing bad news on the football front.
that's an opinion that is not associated with me or this web site. I tend to agree with it. it's not that this is a bad class, it's just that this class is not as good as our competition. and when your recruiting class is 13th out of 14th, you tend to finish in 13th place as well. Just ask IU. in order to have a team finish in the top 5 of the BIG 10, you need a recruiting class to also be in the top 5. I don't expect Purdue to lure in the same caliber of player that OSU brings in. I'm just saying if you don't have better players than IOWA, UW, Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, etc, don't expect to be better than them.

Pretty sure he is the same guy who defended Hazell recruiting (classes in the 70s and 80s) and then was critical of Brohm recruiting (two top 30 classes and probably averaged in the 40s) so take anything he says about recruiting with a grain of salt.

When you have a head coach leave you lose players. Happens everywhere. Nothing Walters could do about that. What he did after those losses was very impressive imo. Some very highly rated transfers who will make immediate improvement and impact. And some very interesting and athletic recruits out of high school. I read one article that was talking about multiple of recruits he brought in being able to play multiple positions at the college level. Improving speed and athleticism seems to be a priority and I am all for that. How will it turn out? Who knows. I am more impressed by Walters and his staff with each thing I read about them though.
why don't you use my name and do some research!!! I'm the guy who hated hazell the day he was hired!
and every poster here got angry at me, called me an idiot and said cut him some slack . and everybody here said we need to give Hazell some more time and blah blah blah.

I then pointed out the difference in brohm's recruiting approcah verses hazell's and said it was night and day and light years better.

Before bad mouthing me, get your story straight.

and next time read the archives before you say, I'm pretty sure that's the guy who said......................................

my posts are still there.

I just wanted you to give an objective opinion on the class of recuits without any bias of who the coach was/is or the circumstances behind the class.

sure if brohm had stayed, the class would be different.

I just wantd you to rate the class objectively like a national review would do. Rivals and 24/7 gave their assessment of the class without regard to coaching change. is that so hard for people here to do without throwing in, well it would have been different, blah, blah blah.

Just rate the class. without caveots, background or excuses. that's all i asked.

I never said i hated Walters and his recruiting. and i hate people who quote me incorrectly. and you're not even close. What I said is I've seen this all before, and we should expect the same type of posts we've all read for the last ten years. Purdue is what it is.

what I'm doing is comparing Walters' first recruiting class to hazell's first recruiting class. hazell recruited some decent players. But every other BIG 10 team recruited better ones. and you obviously don't want like the comparisons.

and when people misquote me for what i said, there are fools who believe that's what i said. they don't bother reading my posts, because they believe you must have quoted me.
And where did I claim that I was quoting you?
Never, not once. Maybe think before you type.
I’m simply pointing out your endless posts that cover:
1. You think Walters was a bad hire
2. You think Walters is a poor recruiter
3. You hate that we redshirt OL

You, I, none of us have any idea whether this staff will be successful or not. I certainly hope they are successful. But to endlessly post the same complaints…enough already - we get it.

Reactions: mrb202

Hazell was hired in 2013. That class featured 23 players. Seven of them were 2*.
As I mentioned before, I think Walters first class is better than Brohm’s first and both of them were clearly better than Hazell’s.

Regardless of who we recruited this year, reality is a three win season next fall whoever was the new hire

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
I just wanted you to give an objective opinion on the class of recuits without any bias of who the coach was/is or the circumstances behind the class.

sure if brohm had stayed, the class would be different.

I just wantd you to rate the class objectively like a national review would do. Rivals and 24/7 gave their assessment of the class without regard to coaching change. is that so hard for people here to do without throwing in, well it would have been different, blah, blah blah.

Just rate the class. without caveots, background or excuses. that's all i asked.
I don't think you really want an "objective" analysis. Removing the context--the mitigating circumstances that forced a completely new coach to rework the the class at the 11th hour--is imposing your own bias on it.

Reactions: z_one
that's an opinion that is not associated with me or this web site. I tend to agree with it. it's not that this is a bad class, it's just that this class is not as good as our competition. and when your recruiting class is 13th out of 14th, you tend to finish in 13th place as well. Just ask IU. in order to have a team finish in the top 5 of the BIG 10, you need a recruiting class to also be in the top 5. I don't expect Purdue to lure in the same caliber of player that OSU brings in. I'm just saying if you don't have better players than IOWA, UW, Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, etc, don't expect to be better than them.
It's 13th because it has fewer players. The average rank of the recruit is comparable to the teams were competing against. After the 1st 4 or so teams we all have basically comparable talent, the question is what does the coach do with it.

Yeah, it's an idiotic comparison. Hazel's 1st class was recruited by Hope and was by far the best one he ever "recruited" (also, it was ranked 10th, so every other B1G team didnt recruit better ones). It's a little different for Walter because of NIL in the transfer portal, but this class was largely recruited by Brohm. These transition classes tell us almost nothing about the type of recruiter the coach is going to be. Once Hazell wasn't signing Hope recruits he sunk to the worst in the P5. Brohm took over Hazell's 14th ranked class then brought us back to respectable, and we'll see what Walters does once he brings in his first class.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT