ADVERTISEMENT

Receiver Height

Nov 18, 2004
With Milton Wright out of the picture, it seems that the remaining receiver corp lacks some height.
We were talking at work today about Purdue's lack of a "jump ball" guy at wideout. It just never seems like we have that 6-5, big jumper type of guy.

I recall a while back that we had a kid come in that was 6-9 or better but I don't think he ever saw the field (grades? transfer?). Who was the kid?

Who else has Purdue had that was 6-5 or taller?

Kory Taylor
Shane Mikesky

As Ed O would say: Everyone wants big wideouts and then you end up with a bunch of slow, tall dudes

With Milton Wright out of the picture, it seems that the remaining receiver corp lacks some height.
We were talking at work today about Purdue's lack of a "jump ball" guy at wideout. It just never seems like we have that 6-5, big jumper type of guy.

I recall a while back that we had a kid come in that was 6-9 or better but I don't think he ever saw the field (grades? transfer?). Who was the kid?

Kyle Ingraham? I think he was 6'8". Played way back on the Orton years

Why do you need that? Bell was 6'1 and won most of the 50-50 balls thrown his way.

Kyle Ingraham? I think he was 6'8". Played way back on the Orton years
6’9” T.E. Had academic issue and was no longer on the team. To his credit, he got his Purdue Degree. Found that out several years back as I saw an article of Kyle coaching many years ago and crossed checked it to LinkedIn. He was just starting to come on in the Orton era.

Last edited:
Non issue.
Purdue's all time receiver list is all guys 6'4 or under. And Brohm's offense isn't featuring jump balls, but getting playmakers open in space. People like to talk about Igraham, but if I recall there was probably 1 or 2 true jump balls he came down with in his entire career. Almost all of his receptions were passes within a typical catch radius.

Non issue.
Purdue's all time receiver list is all guys 6'4 or under. And Brohm's offense isn't featuring jump balls, but getting playmakers open in space. People like to talk about Igraham, but if I recall there was probably 1 or 2 true jump balls he came down with in his entire career. Almost all of his receptions were passes within a typical catch radius.
Yeah. He ran a lot of slant routes.

I think Purdue has had plenty of size at receiver. Sure, it'd be great if everyone were Randy Moss, but unless you're throwing a ton of fade jump balls (low % play), out jumping a DB doesn't happen very often.
And like our 7'0 basketball players, a 6'9 guy like Ingrham is fun to see on paper, but he wasn't productive. Not a very good athlete.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Why do you need that? Bell was 6'1 and won most of the 50-50 balls thrown his way.
"Playing physical" and being big aren't always the same. You definitely don't need to be 6'4" to get open. I think it's good to have a variety of types of WR's in the offense. A few guys that are bigger and a few guys that are shifty and quick. Also, TE's on Purdue are pretty big and can catch the ball. Red zone threats.

You are right about Bell. I think he was a great college receiver. He could do it all, including go up and get a jump ball. Not sure all of that translates to the NFL, but he has all the tools.

Reactions: cidsports

Mershawn is as tall if not taller than Wright and has about a 40” vertical.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Size is good, but great hands, speed, route running, etc. can make up for not having every WR be 6'3" or taller.

ADVERTISEMENT