ADVERTISEMENT

RB Lew Nichols comes to Purdue to take a second look...highlight video in message

Appears to be a bit of a DJ Knox type of running back who doesn't have a lot of top end speed but has enough to make big plays in the running game. A very good north/south runner with the ball in his hands who shows good vision behind the line of scrimmage to find an open hole to run through. Was caught some what easily in the open field when he was able to break long runs but may improve his top end speed with work at Purdue. A very good RB prospect who will make Purdue a better program as Purdue loses Jones and Knox at the end of next season and look to replace what will inevitably be most of the snaps at that position for 2019.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Appears to be a bit of a DJ Knox type of running back who doesn't have a lot of top end speed but has enough to make big plays in the running game. A very good north/south runner with the ball in his hands who shows good vision behind the line of scrimmage to find an open hole to run through. Was caught some what easily in the open field when he was able to break long runs but may improve his top end speed with work at Purdue. A very good RB prospect who will make Purdue a better program as Purdue loses Jones and Knox at the end of next season and look to replace what will inevitably be most of the snaps at that position for 2019.
Having top end, "home run" speed is nice but in this offense, having a reliable back who can catch passes out of the backfield and, most importantly, move the chains works pretty well.

With Brohm's passing game taking the top off the defense, the underneath routes for TEs and RBs should be open and available to pick up good yardage.

In addition to Lew Nichols showing interest, 247Sports shows 4-star RB Jirehl Brock of Quincy Illinois warming to us. Found this article/interview from a few days ago on him. It would be great to get one or both of these young men. The 247Sports Composite Ranking has him as the #10 RB in the class.

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-football-recruiting-4-star-running-back-jirehl-brock-quincy

“Some would say Iowa and Iowa State would be the favorites, but that’s probably because I’ve visited them the most,” Brock said. “I’ve had more opportunities to go to those two than any other. But to me, really no one plays a favorite on my part.

“I want to make a decision by at least football if not the beginning of the season. I really can’t rush it. Rushing it would probably lead into picking the wrong school for me.”

“My parents and my family, we’re used to traveling,” Brock said. “They don’t have a problem with me going to a bigger school somewhere else if they can still travel and come see me.”

I really want Jirehl Brock. He has great speed and can really hit the defenders hard. Would also have a year to get ready to be a startin RB after being behind Tario and Worship

Last edited:
Reactions: ChuckJr
Gold & Black Illustrated has a story on 4-star RB Jirehl Brock visiting us. I hope Brohm can convince him Purdue is the place for him to show case his skills immediately.

Reactions: Purdue11
He looked explosive out of the back field, finds seams, utilizes his blockers, good speed. I will be extremely pleased if he commits to Purdue.

I really want Brock. Sounds like it’s down between us Iowa State and Iowa. What are our chances. 247 i predicting he will go to Iowa

He claims that they are predicting that because he has visited them the most and that nobody is the leader. I hope that is true. We have a lot to offer him in terms of a great coaching staff, program that is on the rise, and early playing time opportunities.

He claims that they are predicting that because he has visited them the most and that nobody is the leader. I hope that is true. We have a lot to offer him in terms of a great coaching staff, program that is on the rise, and early playing time opportunities.

True on all points esp the last one.

If he takes a RS year the only scholarshipped RBs will be Fuller and Anderson in an offense that is effective with multiple running backs used

Reactions: Purdue11
True on all points esp the last one.

If he takes a RS year the only scholarshipped RBs will be Fuller and Anderson in an offense that is effective with multiple running backs used

I would be surprised if he would accept the possibility of a red shirt. Purdue's pull would be immediate time with being the man in the very near future. Feature him in a pro style offense to get his numbers and go pro asap. He would have a shot at being one of the best players on the team if not his first year, surely by his second. Plummer looks like the real deal for the future. Got some weapons at WR. Now it's time to load that line and get an elite RB. Sell the vision and bring him in. Landing 4 stars (with no red flags) is important for the culture change and becoming an elite program.

Make no mistake, Purdue has one of the best coaching staffs in the country and some brand new facilities. They are checking a lot of boxes to be attractive to the young kids coming in. Adding George, Moore, Plummer, and Anderson is huge. Just have to keep it up. Playing time is a huge draw as they are on the rise. Have to use it while it is still an advantage!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT