ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the Rankled

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
We have a special new committee voting after the bowl games -- never mind the game that the SEC didn’t see fit to book itself -- and here’s the official final poll:

1. Central Florida (can’t beat being unbeaten; go ask Auburn)
2. Alabama (for their Crimsonettes; count on putting the Hurts on the lucky ’Dogs)
3. Wisconsin (one score away from perfection; closest win all season was Purdue)
4. Ohio State (too bad about Iowa City; the waving kids really meant forgetaboutit)
5. Penn State (pure Big Ten bias here, but we’re past the point of caring)
6. Georgia (the defenseless Bullies whose extra efforts made Mr. Heisman cry)
7. Clemson (calling that an offense was almost as offensive as Crotch Mayfield)
8. Oklahoma (no mere gesture here for Mr. Hype; you’re not in Kansas anymore)
9. Purdue (more bias, because our quarterbacks exhibit class instead of themselves)
10. (No one else worthy of Top Ten)

Votes: Texas A&M ($100 million to replace a 7-win coach with a 5-win coach)

Yup. Was really hoping for a 1-6 showing from the sec but now we’ll have 12 months of people like Paul Finebaum jerking off to thoughts of an all SEC national championship game.
Well Paul Finebaum is based out of Alabama and has made a career out of talking SEC football 365 days a year so...

It will be SEC heavy for a week, then Patriots playoff run. It won't be that bad.

Finebaum already bad mouthing Central Florida on his show today. Had it in for the B1G also.

odd. I don't really care or plan to watch an Alabama / Georgia rematch.

Huh? The last good game they played was 2012 in the SEC championship game. Came down to a tipped pass on the goal line. Georgia WR caught the pass and went down 1 yard outside of the end zone and the clock ran out. Bama went on to demolish ND in the NC Game.

The last time they played was 2015. Weird storylines. Was basically the final nail in the coffin of the Mark Richt era. Bama rout in some nasty rain. Jeremy Pruitt was the UGA DC at the time. Then moved to Bama the next year after getting let go when Richt was fired. Pruitt will coach the Bama D in the NC game but will take over as the Tennessee head coach the next day. Funny how these coaches are getting recycled. Alabama's DC that day was Kirby Smart....who is now UGA's head coach and is a UGA alum and former player.

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
Central Florida didn't duck anyone in its conference -- like the Big Ten, unlike the SEC.

And there's something about that black and gold ...

I'm sick about an all SEC final. E$ECPN will be blathering about it for the next 12 months, even though the conference finishes below 500 in bowl games. Here's hoping nobody watches.

I'm not fired up to watch, and I live in the South. I find Alabama boring to watch.

Looking forward to watching the Lebatard simulcast on ESPN3 during the game Monday. They plan on making fun of it the whole time since UCF is already the national champion...

just curious. at 7-6 with a bowl victory, where would you rate Purdue this year? I almost thought they may sneak into the top 25. But I'd say they were at least a top 40 school this year - maybe about 35-36 ?

just curious. at 7-6 with a bowl victory, where would you rate Purdue this year? I almost thought they may sneak into the top 25. But I'd say they were at least a top 40 school this year - maybe about 35-36 ?
at 7-6, there is no way they should be considered for the top 40, IMO. Unless those 6 losses were to OSU, PSU, Whisky, UM, Iowa, and NU....Purdue shouldn't sniff the Top 25 at 7-6.

at 7-6, there is no way they should be considered for the top 40, IMO. Unless those 6 losses were to OSU, PSU, Whisky, UM, Iowa, and NU....Purdue shouldn't sniff the Top 25 at 7-6.

I admit there were a bunch of 9-4 teams at the bottom of the top 25. But I don't think there were that many more teams that went 8-5. And I would say Purdue is one of the better 7-6 teams. to me that should place Purdue at least in the top 40. Admittedly, we lost to Louisville, but at the end of the year with Louisville losing their bowl game and Purdue winning, who would you say was better?

Last edited:
In looking at teams not ranked in the top 25, you have: 34 teams that were 7-6 or better. of that group, I would say at least 10 were better than Purdue. To me, that would place Purdue in the 35-40 range. Does seem about right?

temple 7-6
SMU 7-6
Houston 7-5
Navy 7-6
NC st 9-4
Wake forest 8-5
Louisville 8-5
FSU 7-6
Boston col 7-6
Duke 7-6
mich 8-5
Iowa 8-5
K st 8-5
Iowa st 8-5
texas 7-6
west vir 7-6
Army 10-3
Marshall 8-5
uab 8-5
southern miss 8-5
Toledo 11-3
north ill 8-5
cent mich 8-5
fresno state 11-4
Sandiego st 10-3
Wyoming 8-5
col st 7-6
Oregon 7-6
ASU 7-6
Arizona 7-6
mizoo 7-6
Uk 7-6
texas am 7-6
miss 6-6

Reactions: Inspector100
In looking at teams not ranked in the top 25, you have: 34 teams that were 7-6 or better. of that group, I would say at least 10 were better than Purdue. To me, that would place Purdue in the 35-40 range. Does seem about right?

temple 7-6
SMU 7-6
Houston 7-5
Navy 7-6
NC st 9-4
Wake forest 8-5
Louisville 8-5
FSU 7-6
Boston col 7-6
Duke 7-6
mich 8-5
Iowa 8-5
K st 8-5
Iowa st 8-5
texas 7-6
west vir 7-6
Army 10-3
Marshall 8-5
uab 8-5
southern miss 8-5
Toledo 11-3
north ill 8-5
cent mich 8-5
fresno state 11-4
Sandiego st 10-3
Wyoming 8-5
col st 7-6
Oregon 7-6
ASU 7-6
Arizona 7-6
mizoo 7-6
Uk 7-6
texas am 7-6
miss 6-6
I could easily pick 15-20 teams me that list that should be ahead of Purdue when looking at it without the gold and black colored glasses.

Come On, Man !!! now if we would have beaten woeful Rutgers and taken advatage of Neb. being down, now maybe we could have a discussion.

ok, we'll disagree. To me, Purdue is better than any MAC team regardless of their record. I know Army loves to run, but I believe Purdue's run defense would stop them and win

I'm not totally sold on Duke, Iowa St or Wake or Fresno st.

the point I make is the top 25 is supposed to be a weekly snapshot, not a yearly review. and I believe that last week before Sindelar's injury, Purdue could beat many of these teams, and if we were to have a Top 25 vote now, I believe Purdue could find their way to be a lot higher tan you may expect. I believe the BIG 10 proved we are a lot better than our ratings would indicate.

ok, we'll disagree. To me, Purdue is better than any MAC team regardless of their record. I know Army loves to run, but I believe Purdue's run defense would stop them and win

I'm not totally sold on Duke, Iowa St or Wake or Fresno st.

the point I make is the top 25 is supposed to be a weekly snapshot, not a yearly review. and I believe that last week before Sindelar's injury, Purdue could beat many of these teams, and if we were to have a Top 25 vote now, I believe Purdue could find their way to be a lot higher tan you may expect. I believe the BIG 10 proved we are a lot better than our ratings would indicate.
It's one thing to face a team that is good at running the ball in a traditional or spread offense...it is totally another thing to face Army or Navy running the ball because Army and Navy are at a point where they do the things they do at such a high level and don't beat themselves. Would you not think SDSU would beat Purdue given they aren't a P5 program? Iowa State proved they were capable of beating some big programs with their 3 game stretch while Duke has as good of an offensive mind as Brohm's in David Cutcliffe along with having better players right now (little known fact, my 6'8 240 pound nephew was recruited to Duke as a split end and offered a scholarship even though he didn't play football his senior year...Cutcliffe said he would potentially be a focal point for the offense by his junior year at that size, speed, and ability....playing baseball at Mercer and has two conference championships and are thought to make it to the CWS this season).

I think top 40 is actually reasonable Massey has us at 38.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

temple 7-6
SMU 7-6
Houston 7-5
Navy 7-6
NC st 9-4
Wake forest 8-5
Louisville 8-5
FSU 7-6
Boston col 7-6
Duke 7-6
mich 8-5
Iowa 8-5