08 - Tennessee
07 - Nebraska
06 - USC
05 - Tennessee
04 - Texas
03 - Florida State
02 - Kansas
01 - Arkansas

There's the list of the teams with the 13 worst coaching hires from the past decade according to 247. At least we're not listed twice like Tennessee. Can anyone name any of the coaches without looking?
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...-from-the-past-decade-188084400/#188084400_11

I would think this board would be able to name #11, #10 and #2. Potentially #8 and #7 as well.

Willie Taggart should have been number one on this list. I was living in Tallahassee at that time and it was beyond a dumpster fire. Charlie Strong wasn’t given a chance at Texas so I don’t get why he’s so high but it’s a decent list

Hazell somehow lasted three and-a-half seasons despite the fact that he did not win more than three games in a single season.

That was the issue, right there. He might only be the #10 on the list in terms of being a bad initial hire, but keeping him around for a 4th season was criminal negligence of the football program which should put him much higher on the list from a perspective of perpetuating the bad hire.

Shooting from the hip here…spelling doesn’t count

13 - Florida- McElwin
12 - South Carolina no idea
11 - Arizona -Sumlin
10 - Purdue-Duh
09 - Washington
08 - Tennessee-Pruitt
07 - Nebraska-Riley
06 - USC-
05 - Tennessee-damn I can see him, can’t name him
04 - Texas-Strong
03 - Florida State-Taggart
02 - Kansas-Miles
01 - Arkansas-Bielema

Reactions: Boiler Addict
Frost isnt done yet at Nebby but I think he’s done a bad job there. Worse than Riley. I think he’d be on this list if he’d been fired yet

Frost isnt done yet at Nebby but I think he’s done a bad job there. Worse than Riley. I think he’d be on this list if he’d been fired yet
The thing that is so bad about Frost is they have talent every year. I think Brohm would win 7/8 wins there every year. They just can't get it figured out. Part of the problem is that they still have the "option" offense lingering and it's just not effective for them.

Riley was way worse. My NE connections (50+ years of season tix with entire family) said he messed up every aspect of the program, especially talent level. Frost's biggest sin was sticking to his QB too long. The NE faithful even said Martinez was a great talent but a losing QB, and that's when he was a FR. I think Frost did stick too long with his staff. They might surprise some folks this year.

Last edited:
Riley was way worse. My NE connections (50+ years of season tix with entire family) said he messed up every aspect of the program, especially talent level. Frost's biggest sin was sticking to his QB too long. The NE faithful even said Martinez was a great talent but a losing QB, and that's when he was a FR. I think Frost did stick too long with his staff. They might surprise some folks this year.
Breaking in a new QB and skill talent…

4-5 win team in my eyes

13 - Florida- McElwin
11 - Arizona -Sumlin
10 - Purdue-Duh
09 - Washington
08 - Tennessee-Pruitt
07 - Nebraska-Riley
06 - USC-
04 - Texas-Strong
02 - Kansas-Miles
01 - Arkansas-Bielema
Derek Dooley

How isn’t hazell #1. He might be the worst fbs coach of the last 50 years. Rick Venturi thinks he’s a shitty coach

Reactions: 4IUSox2
How isn’t hazell #1. He might be the worst fbs coach of the last 50 years. Rick Venturi thinks he’s a shitty coach
I mean, Dooley and Les were truly miserable failures also, but he’s up there with them.

And I didn’t think Mount Bielema was THAT bad at Arkansas.

I mean, Dooley and Les were truly miserable failures also, but he’s up there with them.

And I didn’t think Mount Bielema was THAT bad at Arkansas.
He had 3 winning seasons and never lost double digit games.

13 - Florida- McElwin
11 - Arizona -Sumlin
10 - Purdue-Duh
09 - Washington
08 - Tennessee-Pruitt
07 - Nebraska-Riley
06 - USC-
04 - Texas-Strong
02 - Kansas-Miles
01 - Arkansas-Biele
13 - Florida
12 - South Carolina
11 - Arizona
10 - Purdue
09 - Washington
08 - Tennessee
07 - Nebraska
06 - USC
05 - Tennessee
04 - Texas
03 - Florida State
02 - Kansas
01 - Arkansas

There's the list of the teams with the 13 worst coaching hires from the past decade according to 247. At least we're not listed twice like Tennessee. Can anyone name any of the coaches without looking?
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...-from-the-past-decade-188084400/#188084400_11

I would think this board would be able to name #11, #10 and #2. Potentially #8 and #7 as well.
Scary thing is there are a lot of Purdue connections along with coaches Purdue was considering on this list

13 - Florida
12 - South Carolina
11 - Arizona
10 - Purdue
09 - Washington
08 - Tennessee
07 - Nebraska
06 - USC
05 - Tennessee
04 - Texas
03 - Florida State
02 - Kansas
01 - Arkansas

For us, it was Hazell, with no doubt. Not familiar with the other hires.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT