ADVERTISEMENT

Random thoughts on yesterday

rgarlitz

All-American
Jun 16, 2012
Not sure if any of this needs a new thread, but here I go:

1) I thought it would come back to bite Indiana when Tom Allen chose to run out the clock at the end of the first half. Indiana dominated possession in the first half but had remarkably little to show for it.

2) Did anyone else think Matt Millen went a little overboard praising Indiana's offense in the second half? I get that they moved the ball well (outgained Purdue for the game), but Millen kept talking about how Purdue couldn't stop Indiana. The play-by-play guy finally stepped in and pointed out that they scored 3 points since their first possession. True, poor field goal kicking contributed to that.

3) A little off-topic: the announced crowd for the Northwestern v. Illinois game was 25k and change. That surprised me for a game played in the Chicago metro area with Illinois still alive for a division title. I mean, Purdue probably had almost that many people in Bloomington yesterday. I've been surprised by Illinois' fans apparent lack of interest in their team--a team that was ranked for much of the season. They played a lot of games in front of surprisingly modest home crowds and couldn't muster more than 25k for a game in Evanston.

Reactions: pboiler18

1) I thought it would come back to bite Indiana when Tom Allen chose to run out the clock at the end of the first half. Indiana dominated possession in the first half but had remarkably little to show for it.

2) Did anyone else think Matt Millen went a little overboard praising Indiana's offense in the second half? I get that they moved the ball well (outgained Purdue for the game), but Millen kept talking about how Purdue couldn't stop Indiana. The play-by-play guy finally stepped in and pointed out that they scored 3 points since their first possession. True, poor field goal kicking contributed to that.

3) A little off-topic: the announced crowd for the Northwestern v. Illinois game was 25k and change. That surprised me for a game played in the Chicago metro area with Illinois still alive for a division title. I mean, Purdue probably had almost that many people in Bloomington yesterday. I've been surprised by Illinois' fans apparent lack of interest in their team--a team that was ranked for much of the season. They played a lot of games in front of surprisingly modest home crowds and couldn't muster more than 25k for a game in Evanston.
I told my boy that the missed kick was gonna come back and bite them. More specifically, not being able to punch it in multiple times did not bode well for the Hoosiers. Particularly with the number of drives they had rolling. Their bigger problem all year, by far, was too many 3 & outs and too few drives. Yesterday they had drives like crazy but few points to show for it.

Add in that the defense was getting pressure without bringing the house and getting some stops on a dangerous PU offense, it was an opportunity that the got away from them.

Reactions: rgarlitz
People criticise Brohm, but one thing he definitely did was put people back in the seats of our stadium, and has continued to do so.
Totally fair point. The results have been a little up-and-down under Brohm, but attendance has been consistently good. There seems to be an underlying optimism toward the program.

Reactions: Boiler8285
I told my boy that the missed kick was gonna come back and bite them. More specifically, not being able to punch it in multiple times did not bode well for the Hoosiers. Particularly with the number of drives they had rolling. Their bigger problem all year, by far, was too many 3 & outs and too few drives. Yesterday they had drives like crazy but few points to show for it.

Add in that the defense was getting pressure without bringing the house and getting some stops on a dangerous PU offense, it was an opportunity that the got away from them.
Indiana definitely squandered opportunities yesterday.

Reactions: bonefish1

missed FG's are always deflating

#4) nice to see that Trice didn't high step on his strip TD return

Allen sitting on the ball with 2 mins left in the half and a 7-3 lead sent the message of "I don't trust you not to screw this up" to his team. He was playing not to lose. Once the Purdue D got straightened out and the offense got rolling in the 2nd half, it was too late.

The play-by-play guy finally stepped in and pointed out that they scored 3 points since their first possession. True, poor field goal kicking contributed to that.
And he said it after TWO Purdue stops with no IU points. I guess he has a limited color commentary, although I thought he did a pretty good job breaking down the plays.

IL fans see themselves as a basketball power with FB as an inconvenient fall diversion.

• Haha
5) How much of a beating is the Indy hotel and tourism industry taking due to Purdue making the championship game instead of an Iowa or Wisconsin? Thinking there will be 20k+ more day trippers in attendance.

Allen sitting on the ball with 2 mins left in the half and a 7-3 lead sent the message of "I don't trust you not to screw this up" to his team. He was playing not to lose. Once the Purdue D got straightened out and the offense got rolling in the 2nd half, it was too late.
Do you think if the Indinia qb. Williams had played the full game Purdue would have lost? I would probably say yes.

Agreed. That didn’t seem very relentless, relentless, RELENTLESS!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Boiler8285
His injury took all the emotion out of their team. Purdue looked like they had no answer on defense how to stop them early in the game.
Toss up.

If he had put that drive he got hurt on into the EZ, maybe. But the missed and blocked FGs were points they couldn’t afford to leave on the field.

Do you think if the Indinia qb. Williams had played the full game Purdue would have lost? I would probably say yes.
In my opinion no. He had 9 rush yards and 4 pass yards after a quarter. IUs emotions were certainly high and they came out running with their rbs with a ton of success. A ton of credit to their OL playing hard. Keep in mind most of the production came from one 70 yard run. The second drive IU needed to complete two 4th down conversions just to keep the drive going and likely was headed for a 3rd when the injury happened.

After Williams was injured IU continued to run very well for the rest of the 1st half, but no 70 yard runs.

After half Purdue put 8-9 men in the box and shut down 1st and 2nd down runs. So unless your argument is that Williams is a better passer than the guy that started most of the year (he hasn’t shown the ability to consistently throw a forward pass yet) then the results are likely the same.

Slowing the run game and getting our offense going was key. Once IU had to try to keep up their offensive deficiencies showed. In my opinion the qb had nothing to do with that.

Oh and if your argument is purely emotional let down, pretty sure Purdue was going through much worse than an injury so we could certainly blame our poor first half performance on that.

His injury took all the emotion out of their team. Purdue looked like they had no answer on defense how to stop them early in the game.
Quit buying the Tom Allen narrative.
Ohio State offense looked unstoppable early versus Michigan.
Illinois went 74 yards in 6 plays in their opening drive against Purdue. Then...3 straight 3 and outs.
Games have ebbs and flows. Teams make adjustments.

Reactions: NVboiler
No excuses. You have to play with what you have and not what you wish you had. Purdue has given up big plays early and TDs to others and won, it was just what has come to be a more or less typical Purdue game.

No excuses. You have to play with what you have and not what you wish you had. Purdue has given up big plays early and TDs to others and won, it was just what has come to be a more or less typical Purdue game.
Yeah we’ve had all kinds of injuries the last few years, so I don’t want to hear about Dexter, or Ibrahim, or whoever. Everyone has injuries.

the thing about his pregame antics were his players weren't even fired up, they were like OK lets get this over with.
Which is why nobody can compare it to the Jeff Brohm chair smash speech. Totally different reaction from the players.

It is probably the same every week so it quits working.
Agree. With a minor qualifier. It only works on special occasions, unless you’re winning. If a team wins you can be a wild man and the kids will stay fired up because winning cures a lot. A lot easier for him to sell that in ‘19-‘20 than ‘21-‘22.

Agree. With a minor qualifier. It only works on special occasions, unless you’re winning. If a team wins you can be a wild man and the kids will stay fired up because winning cures a lot. A lot easier for him to sell that in ‘19-‘20 than ‘21-‘22.
The only nice thing I’ll say about the guy. I thought he did a good job during the Covid year getting his players up for games without fans when other teams seemed to be treating the season like an exhibition.

the thing about his pregame antics were his players weren't even fired up, they were like OK lets get this over with.
I bet some in the back were actually laughing.
Allen is like a high school or Pop Warner coach.

That was a weird speech. It sounded like Allen went through the entire list of coaching clichés trying to find something that would get his guys going. His facial expressions looked more unhinged than fired up. And the players didn't seem very impressed.
Does he have fake chompers?

ADVERTISEMENT