ADVERTISEMENT

Quiet

It depends on the type of tree and where it fell. If it was a sequoia, it matters! If the tree was thrown down by Sasquatch, it matters!

When your team has a recruiting class without a 4 star recruit, watching a tree fall seems more exciting! What happened to hitting the portal hard?

All I’m seeing lately is we didn’t have enough time. A lot of decisions were made in the last 5 days! Our entire staff was in place!

With Gilbert decommitting, we finished with the 63rd class. We can thank Coach Brohm for that.

With his departure, the 2023 Purdue recruiting class has fallen to 63rd, good for 12th in the Big Ten - only ahead of Rutgers and Indiana.

While this is worrisome, Coach Walters took over just days before the early signing period in December and did his best to keep the roster intact and the 2023 class committed.

Now, attention shifts to the 2024 class, where Coach Walters and his new staff at Purdue will get an entire recruiting cycle to bring in their players.

So far, they have one commit for 2024, Franklin Central Cornerback, Hudauri Hines.

As I said there were many athletes who were still available and made up their minds in the last 72 hours!

Brohm had been trying to steal those two away Even before he left. One of our recruits said he mentioned he would leave the minute that the louisville job opened. And in taking the job he would want them to come with him to louisville.

You do realize that our coach did the same with Illinois, correct? It’s part of the deal.
How did he do the same thing? He wasn't head coach at Illinois. Stop making excuses for the way that Brohm hosed us. Brohm left at the best possible time for himself and Louisville. He left Purdue and in extension Walters will very little time to recruit.

How did he do the same thing? He wasn't head coach at Illinois. Stop making excuses for the way that Brohm hosed us. Brohm left at the best possible time for himself and Louisville. He left Purdue and in extension Walters will very little time to recruit.
I’ll say it one last time! There were hundreds of recruits still undecided and flipping last week! Walters had his entire staff in place. Surely he knew who was still available! And if he didn’t, woe is us for the next 4 years.

One last time! All walters needed was 1 week. Some of the other players that signed elsewhere did not have that school on their mind last month or 6 months ago. That school was more aggressive in their recruiting and went after and got the better talent!

It’s not going to make any difference if you give walters a month or a year. It is what it is! He’s not going to out recruit OSU or Michigan. And last week in a battle for an olineman, he lost out to Iowa. Both he and the Iowa coach spent the same time recruiting him. And we had a coach from Miami which should have given us an edge.

What’s the point in arguing. People will start off by saying he had little time to recruit. Then they will say Brohm left the cupboard bare. Then we will have people saying recruits are taking a wait and see approach. Then. We will have people saying we need to give him 3 years to build his team.

It’s the circle of life at Purdue.

You either like this recruiting class or you don’t. The rich got richer and the poor got tacos

• Haha
Reactions: z_one
got tacos
i like turtles GIF

And I’m not buying the excuse of him being an assistant coach, because we could have hire an existing head coach but decided not to. Walters is our head coach regardless of what his previous position was! If he can or can not do the job we’ll find out soon enough.

And I’m not buying the excuse we haven’t even played a game yet. Successful teams are built in January.

I guess I was supposed to get all excited we signed a 3 star te today

Man you're a dip$hit. That "3 star TE" had offers from multiple P5 programs, including Louisville and even IOWA(both of whom were still recruiting him through today). If you don't understand that it takes time to develop relationships in recruiting there's nobody here who can help you. The two indiana high school linemen that iowa got this year? Why would you want them? After all they're both below your oft-stated minimum of 300 pounds and at least one(likely both) will redshirt.

Obviously he gets a pass for this year’s class. But it’s important to get off to a good start next year. Can’t keep stacking a bunch of low tier classes in the 60’s or it’s back to the hazel years. Would realistically like to see us somewhere in the 40’s at minimum.

Reactions: SKYDOG and z_one
And I’m not buying the excuse of him being an assistant coach, because we could have hire an existing head coach but decided not to. Walters is our head coach regardless of what his previous position was! If he can or can not do the job we’ll find out soon enough.

And I’m not buying the excuse we haven’t even played a game yet. Successful teams are built in January.

LMAO! Not buying the fact that he wasn't a head coach? Give me a break! Everyone had a cow that we didn't hire an established coach, including you. He had to earn his credibility and he had almost no time to recruit. Now you claim he had the same chance anyone else did? I thought you knew something about sports?

Last edited:
Reactions: pu1985
The reason this class is ranked as low as it is, is because it is only 16 players. They seem to not have counted the JC transfer. They have Wisconsin at 58 and it is for the same reason. Extra year of Covid eligibility is creating some weird anomalies.

Just because someone hasn't signed in the last week does NOT MEAN they haven't made up their mind.

Man you're a dip$hit. That "3 star TE" had offers from multiple P5 programs, including Louisville and even IOWA(both of whom were still recruiting him through today). If you don't understand that it takes time to develop relationships in recruiting there's nobody here who can help you. The two indiana high school linemen that iowa got this year? Why would you want them? After all they're both below your oft-stated minimum of 300 pounds and at least one(likely both) will redshirt.
keep calling people names, that's what you do best. You obviously did not comprehend the point of my post or very few of my previous ones either.

1. I've said I want Purdue to start recruiting linemen who are physically ready to play. WHY? because our strength and conditioning program hasn't really developed any linemen by redsirting them in over a decade. Ou best linemen have been the ones who played as freshmen. It's not about size. it's about the ability to play. STARS are given on their ability to play. And redshirting at other schools is different than Purdue. Why does purdue redshirt their lineman? Usually, it's to add 30-50 pounds to their frame. My comment initially was rather than force feed a guy supplements for a year, recruit somebody who is already at the ready playing weight. and if you are going to redshirt somebody, do it to teach them the fundementals, rather for weight gain.

as for Iowa, every year, they keep recruiting Indiana's best olinemen.

I've also said it's time we stopped recruiting the same players MAC teams recruited and started winning the recruiting battles for players our other BIG 10 teams are also recruiting.

as for the 3 star TE. he was the best player that signed this week. he was initially recruited by brohm, and that's why louisville extended him an offer. he's a good player. However, he was still the best player we signed. Do you expect people to get excited about a recruiting class when you tell them your best recruit is a 3 star TE ?? Maybe Purdue faitful get all excited , but nobody else will.

and I"m tired with all the BS about how it takes time to build relationships as part of the recruiting process.

Look at Coach pime time. How many of the recruits that he signed did he even know or bother to visit last year?

Look at Coach Walters. how many years, months or even days did he spend building up a relationship with QB Card before he entered the portal? Did anybody from purdue ty to build a relationship with him prior to him entering the portal?

Look at the QB who decomitted from Miami and Florida and ended up signing with Arizona st. Did they spend any time in the last 4 years building a relationship? or did they just come to him with the biggest NIL offer?

Today's recruiting is not like yesteryear. Today's coaches don't need to spend time building relationships. all they need is NIL money , attend all star games, and watch the portal. You can build an entire recruiting class just with portal transfers, and offering high school kids NIL money. If you keep doing it the old style way, you will find yourself in the same recruiting circles with marshall, ball st, Northwestern and IU.

and if I can see that, why can't other fans? the old days of recruiting are gone.

and with so many 4 star recruits that signed with other BIG 10 teams via the portal, it's just hard for me to get excited about the players Walters recruited. he had as much time as other head coaches did to recruit the portal players. I'm of the opinion he didn't even try to recruit the portal players Michigan and OSU signed. and if you can't compete in recruiting, how are you going to compete on the field?

Walters brought in linemen with college ready bodies.

Our recruit’s received tons of power 5 offers. Schools our recruiting class received offers from include Miami, Tennessee, West Virginia, Illinois, Minnesota, Auburn, Cincinnati, Georgia, Mississippi State, LSU, Louisville, Kentucky, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Michigan, Iowa, Michigan State, etc.

The relationship you build with a hs player and a transfer are completely different due to a completely different recruiting timeline.

Coach Prime is a household name, with an ESPN 24/7 hype loop playing.

The QB who chose Arizona State is going to the college that his father played for, which he considered his dream school to play for growing up.

Purdue will likely never have the NIL resources that many schools have. Why? How much have you contributed to Purdue’s NIL collectives?

Purdue signed some good football players that fill holes in the new coaches scheme in the transfer portal.

Our recruit’s received tons of power 5 offers. Schools our recruiting class received offers from include Miami, Tennessee, West Virginia, Illinois, Minnesota, Auburn, Cincinnati, Georgia, Mississippi State, LSU, Louisville, Kentucky, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Michigan, Iowa, Michigan State, etc.

The relationship you build with a hs player and a transfer are completely different due to a completely different recruiting timeline.

The QB who chose Arizona State is going to the college that his father played for, which he considered his dream school to play for growing up.

Purdue will likely never have the NIL resources that many schools have. Why? How much have you contributed to Purdue’s NIL collectives?

Purdue signed some good football players that fill holes in the new coaches scheme in the transfer portal.
I’m not looking to pick a fight, but look at what happened in the LSU game. Purdue has a lot of players that need to be recruited over. Yes I realize the coaching staff was gutted. However this roster needs a lot of work and it was amazing at least to me they won the west with that roster. It was truly a credit to those overachieving players and a great job by the previous coaching staff.

I certainly hope Walters overachieves this year. He needs wins and name recognition and the recruits will come.

I'm not giving to NIL because I don't get anything. This is a business relationship with NIL. Better be sending signed jerseys and practice shorts or whatever. Why should I enrich some bs t-shirt company selling 35 dollar t-shirts?

I'm not giving to NIL because I don't get anything. This is a business relationship with NIL. Better be sending signed jerseys and practice shorts or whatever. Why should I enrich some bs t-shirt company selling 35 dollar t-shirts?
I haven’t given anything to NIL either. I wasn’t trying to imply that anyone should feel obligated to either. I was more asking that rhetorically to get the point across to wolegib that the Purdue fan base can’t realistically expect to compete with some schools when it comes to NIL. I’m guessing that we will see fewer and fewer of the astronomical offers that have been thrown around as the dust settles. At the end of the day the big NIL deals will just persuade a kid to choose Alabama over Georgia or whatever which would’ve been the schools they chose between anyways.

Reactions: TopSecretBoiler
I haven’t given anything to NIL either. I wasn’t trying to imply that anyone should feel obligated to either. I was more asking that rhetorically to get the point across to wolegib that the Purdue fan base can’t realistically expect to compete with some schools when it comes to NIL. I’m guessing that we will see fewer and fewer of the astronomical offers that have been thrown around as the dust settles. At the end of the day the big NIL deals will just persuade a kid to choose Alabama over Georgia or whatever which would’ve been the schools they chose between anyways.
I wasn't suggesting anything other than the current NIL store is pretty lame. They sell overpriced generic tshirts and the students only get a few bucks and the store makes the money. I'm not interested in that. Rather give 500 bucks to a student and get signed "play hard" shorts or something cool.

Reactions: AugustaBoiler90
I wasn't suggesting anything other than the current NIL store is pretty lame. They sell overpriced generic tshirts and the students only get a few bucks and the store makes the money. I'm not interested in that. Rather give 500 bucks to a student and get signed "play hard" shorts or something cool.
That would be cool. I wonder if players would be able to sell their own game worn jerseys or something like that?

Coach Walters called me and we are going to kidnap players on other teams like movie Old School and bring them to West Lafayette, old blue is gonna help me.

Or UCLA over Purdue....

Or UCLA over Purdue....
I mean. It’s gonna happen. We’re not going to win every recruiting battle whether it’s high school, transfer, or retaining players on the roster. I’m not going to get upset a kid goes elsewhere or leave. It is what it is. Next man up.

ADVERTISEMENT