ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Quick thoughts on QB change

Stacy_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
Just got back from Hazell's press conference and need to get a story up before practice, so this will be brief.

I was surprised Hazell and Shoop are going to David Blough and benching Austin Appleby. Obviously. I'd just said this weekend and, I think, again on Monday that Appleby is the best option RIGHT NOW (stressing that part again) for this offense and this team. Knowing that he was not good at all against Va. Tech., I still think he's a better option than Blough at this point in each player's development.

Hazell has stressed taking care of the football since he's been here, and he said today that was the impetus for this decision being made now. Interestingly, when I asked him if it was based on a longer-term resume with Appleby, not just these first three games, he said no.

This move, to me, is a demotion for Appleby, not a promotion for Blough.

Blough is the definition of risk-taker and reckless player. That's his style, and that's what makes him dynamic and intriguing. But it also makes him a scary option, considering he's only a second-year player and has no real game experience. He will not diagnose coverages as well as older players. He certainly is more athletic than Appleby, but he's also not as big nor as strong to hold up against pressure and/or getting knocked around. Can he run the read option better? Maybe. Obviously a key part of that option play is making the right decision.

What happens if Blough starts turning the ball over? And he will. Because none of these players are perfect and I feel like that's been the unrealistic expectation placed on them. It's the expectation that crushed Etling and made him run away from the program.

We'll see what happens.

But just wanted to throw something out there quickly because I'm been pretty firm about my thoughts on the QB and wanted to make it clear those haven't changed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News