ADVERTISEMENT

QBs Recovery Time

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Am I the only one concerned to see theses articles on Blough saying he thinks he will be ready by Spring practice and Sindelar giving himself a 4 month turnaround time?

I love that we have ultra competitive players, and players that want to play, but both QBs had serious injuries. I don’t want them to come back too quickly and get hurt and miss regular season time, not to mention feeling it later on in normal life. Unless ACL surgeries have changed, 8 to 12 months is usually standard recovery time for this surgery, and it can take even longer to fully get back to the level they were at before the injury.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
Blough's wasn't an ACL, and the surgery went well and so has therapy. Keeping him out of Spring practice is a precaution to make sure he doesn't rush back and reinjure himself.

I had knee surgery for a tear and was fine after 4 weeks, and I'm old and the physical therapy was minimal.

Aaron Rogers came back after 6-8 weeks and played with 13 screws still inside his body! one has to wonder how fast a young athlete's body heals. Obviously, with physical therapy it's a lot faster than it used to be.

I had knee surgery for a tear and was fine after 4 weeks, and I'm old and the physical therapy was minimal.

Aaron Rogers came back after 6-8 weeks and played with 13 screws still inside his body! one has to wonder how fast a young athlete's body heals. Obviously, with physical therapy it's a lot faster than it used to be.

Yeah, and he promptly played like shit and went back on IR.

Sindelar can be back to training in 4 months. They wont release him for contact for a long time. I would guess he "might" be a go for Northwestern with a heavy brace.

Also, OP isnt giving Brohm enough credit. The medical staff and coaching staff will monitor this.

Yeah, and he promptly played like shit and went back on IR.

he didn't really play like crap. he threw a few picks because he was rusty, not because of his injury. And every NFL team knows that's not the reason he went back on IR. the Packers lost the game and were eliminated from the play-offs. and they decided to tank the remainder of the season.

if the packers had won that game and remained in the play-off hunt, Rogers would have continued to play with his injury.

and isn't that what this thread's all about ? it's not how bad a person performs, but rather how fast they come back and play again. Rogers was cleared to play by a competent medical staff more than 2 months ahead of his original projected return date.

All athletes are seeming to recover enough to play a lot faster than previous years/norms. The question is are the athletes recovering faster ? or are they more willing to play through their injuries where previous athletes would sit out longer for precautionary measures?

I fully expect Blough to be ready to play before Spring ball starts. and Sindelar to return 2-3 months before his original projected date.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Can doctors pinpoint when a post-op ACL or dislocated knee is no longer at risk of re-injury? I would think that is a pretty important point to establish here.

If there is a lot of uncertainty involved, then the decision might be different for a QB who is trying to win a starting D1 job and potentially set himself up to get drafted into a multi-million dollar job in the NFL. Or even just an ultra-competitive QB who has no NFL prospects. The doctors, training staff, and coaches have a responsibility to protect the athlete from himself, but you have to also think these QBs will be personally pushing toward the aggressive side of the timeline in order to win that job while it is up in the air.

Last edited:
Can doctors pinpoint when a post-op ACL or dislocated knee is no longer at risk of re-injury? I would think that is a pretty important point to establish here.

If there is a lot of uncertainty involved, then the decision might be different for a QB who is trying to win a starting D1 job and potentially set himself up to get drafted into a multi-million dollar job in the NFL. Or even just an ultra-competitive QB who has no NFL prospects. The doctors, training staff, and coaches have a responsibility to protect the athlete from himself, but you have to also think these QBs will be personally pushing toward the aggressive side of the timeline in order to win that job while it is up in the air.

A lot of it is the strength of the muscles around the knee. For a 50+ year old keyboard warrior, they will cease PT earlier. For a 22 year old QB with the tear in his plant leg, they will be more careful.

there are two articles on GBI. I'm not going to pay to read them. the first says Blough will be back before Spring football. the second says Sindelar is pointing towards a 4 month recovery for his acl tear.

To me that says young athletes are healing a lot faster today than in the past. A 4 month recovery for an ACL tear? is that going to be the new norm?

This is really a pretty simple discussion.

There are really only 2 issues with an ACL:
  1. Reducing/eliminating swelling. That's what causes most of the pain and restricted motion.
  2. Bone healing. This will take a couple of months.
The rest of it becomes a confidence issue, as well as re-strengthening surrounding muscles. Remember, these guys aren't couch potatoes, they're elite athletes that already are extraordinarily well-conditioned.

If I were a betting man, Elijah had long been on a pre-surgery protocol to strengthen the muscles around the knee since the injury. Stationary bike, lunges, squats, etc. All that in prep for and anticipation of the surgery.

Now all he has to do is deal with the swelling and let the bone heal, while continuing his squats, lunges, etc.

After the bone heals, there's nothing left to mend.

there are two articles on GBI. I'm not going to pay to read them. the first says Blough will be back before Spring football. the second says Sindelar is pointing towards a 4 month recovery for his acl tear.

To me that says young athletes are healing a lot faster today than in the past. A 4 month recovery for an ACL tear? is that going to be the new norm?

Neither headline says that.

You’re making inferences without reading the content? Lol.

Look at the bold print of the GBI photos !!!! in their little headlines of trending articles.

Blough's goal - be back by Spring for Purdue football.

Purdue QB Sindelar hopeful for 4 month ACL recovery timeline

Are you going to tell me those headlines are not true and are just a tease ?? on GBI ??? Say it's not so !!!!!. I saw those headlines, and I knew it must be true and I didn't have to read any further, or click on the link, or pay for the trending article. it's not like those headlines were on fake news CNN or the Indy Star. I'm talking about GBI - the one truthful source for all Purdue athletics news.

and we're recruiting some 3 * db out of St Louis too. and an OL from Warren Central. GBI headlines - is there actually a better source to quote?

Look at the bold print of the GBI photos !!!! in their little headlines of trending articles.

Blough's goal - be back by Spring for Purdue football.

Purdue QB Sindelar hopeful for 4 month ACL recovery timeline

Are you going to tell me those headlines are not true and are just a tease ?? on GBI ??? Say it's not so !!!!!. I saw those headlines, and I knew it must be true and I didn't have to read any further, or click on the link, or pay for the trending article. it's not like those headlines were on fake news CNN or the Indy Star. I'm talking about GBI - the one truthful source for all Purdue athletics news.

and we're recruiting some 3 * db out of St Louis too. and an OL from Warren Central. GBI headlines - is there actually a better source to quote?

My goal is to date Kate upton. Using your logic, it is going to happen

Kudos for using "inferences" properly!
My goal is to date Kate upton. Using your logic, it is going to happen
I'm not choosing sides, but the difference is your goal is based on a pipe dream.

These guys are being treated by the world's best, and their goals are based on reality and the counsel of medical professionals. That's not some pipe dream like dating Kate Upton.

Will they return on the schedule like they hope?

Not sure, but I know my ACL rehab happened much quicker than I expected. Today's orthopedic surgeons are doing some really remarkable stuff.

I'm not choosing sides, but the difference is your goal is based on a pipe dream.

These guys are being treated by the world's best, and their goals are based on reality and the counsel of medical professionals. That's not some pipe dream like dating Kate Upton.

Not sure, but I know my ACL rehab happened much quicker than I expected. Today's orthopedic surgeons are doing some really remarkable stuff.

I made the goal comment to point out that basing a conclusion on a headline about hopes or goals is ridiculous. Especially if you don’t read the content.

The kid can HOPE to fully participate in spring. Will the doctors or coaches let a 5th years senior. Probably not.

I made the goal comment to point out that basing a conclusion on a headline about hopes or goals is ridiculous. Especially if you don’t read the content.

The kid can HOPE to fully participate in spring. Will the doctors or coaches let a 5th years senior. Probably not.
yeah, I got that. But the goals weren't pulled out of ... uh ... er ... "thin air" (or a player's posterior). Those goals were (likely) based on medical discussions.

That's my point as well! GBI has some credibility , don't they? It's not like bolied steel is their source. Somebody who knows something about these surgery timelines provided them the info. I'm not the author, or the owner of this web site. If GBI has a teaser headline that Blough will be back before the spring game, you either believe it or you stop slamming hammer and rails and Travis if you can't believe the GBI headlines, then what on this site can you believe? Is it all just a lie?

That's my point as well! GBI has some credibility , don't they? It's not like bolied steel is their source. Somebody who knows something about these surgery timelines provided them the info. I'm not the author, or the owner of this web site. If GBI has a teaser headline that Blough will be back before the spring game, you either believe it or you stop slamming hammer and rails and Travis if you can't believe the GBI headlines, then what on this site can you believe? Is it all just a lie?

Or, it’s what the player said only

maybe. but why did "the player" say it?

They're generally not going to say something like that unless they have some guidance on realistic expectations.
I’m sure someone said he is doing better than expected and whatever else. Still doesn’t mean they will clear him to be full go in spring or Sindelar to be full go in 4 months.

The player said it! Would he have a reason to lie? I doubt it! I also doubt GBI would not have published the two stories if they were total fabrication! This is also why I brought up Alstott in the other thread! It appears Blough will be ready to go for the Spring game and Sindelar will be ready by early Summer! Unlike some, im not worried about our QBs health

I’m sure someone said he is doing better than expected and whatever else. Still doesn’t mean they will clear him to be full go in spring or Sindelar to be full go in 4 months.

You and I seem to be in agreement, that we're not sure of anything. Only that a player has a goal. And that goal will be dependent, as you point out, on being cleared to play.

still, that's a goal ANY athlete should be pursuing!

And I'll disagree ! You claim Purdue's doctors will error on the side of caution and both Blough's and Sindelar's return will be delayed because we want them to fully recover and be safe etc. those are the same doctors who allowed Sindelar to play 4 games with his torn acl brcause they felt he couldn't tear it any worse! Those doctors chose to listen to Sindelar over their own caution and allowed him to play! And those will be the same doctors who will give Blough and Sindelar the green light to play once again. And you believe after telling Sindelar he could play this Fall, they are going to say No?

I'm not claiming that's the right thing to do! But that is what they did! I have Avery hard time believing they will change and all of a sudden use caution!

And I'll disagree ! You claim Purdue's doctors will error on the side of caution and both Blough's and Sindelar's return will be delayed because we want them to fully recover and be safe etc. those are the same doctors who allowed Sindelar to play 4 games with his torn acl brcause they felt he couldn't tear it any worse! Those doctors chose to listen to Sindelar over their own caution and allowed him to play! And those will be the same doctors who will give Blough and Sindelar the green light to play once again. And you believe after telling Sindelar he could play this Fall, they are going to say No?

Uhhhhh... I'm not sure I've seen the claim you cite. Is there anything wrong with a doctor "who allowed Sindelar to play 4 games with his torn acl"???

Brother, I've incurred the same injury as Sindelar.

Answer me this: what could have possibly been the downside of Joey Sindelar playing with a torn ACL?

Was there some additional damage that could have occurred?

Was JS playing a detriment to his future health?

The answer to all your questions is No! But these are the same doctors who made that decision. And they made that decision based on Sindelar's input. Given a choice of erroring on the side of caution or listening to Sindelar's input to make a decision, I believe these doctors will lean more to Sindelar's inputs than they will to follow a more restrictive, lengthy cautious path! There are many other athletes who would have sat out with Sindelar's injuries. These doctors evaluated the situation and allowed him to play. That's why I believe they will do the same and you will see both Blough and Sindelar playing a lot sooner than expected! Even Jones came back faster than planned. I have no info, just an opinion based on the doctors previous actions!

The answer to all your questions is No! But these are the same doctors who made that decision. And they made that decision based on Sindelar's input. Given a choice of erroring on the side of caution or listening to Sindelar's input to make a decision, I believe these doctors will lean more to Sindelar's inputs than they will to follow a more restrictive, lengthy cautious path! There are many other athletes who would have sat out with Sindelar's injuries. These doctors evaluated the situation and allowed him to play. That's why I believe they will do the same and you will see both Blough and Sindelar playing a lot sooner than expected! Even Jones came back faster than planned. I have no info, just an opinion based on the doctors previous actions!

Bullsh*t.

You're full of (crap) on this.

once JS had the injury, the decisions were simple.

To JS: Can you play?

JS: yes.

JS: Will it do me harm?

Staff: No.

JS: Then let's play.

You're ASSuming you know "the same doctors" made some 'decision'. There was no "erring" on the side of caution. There was nothing to be gained or saved by having him sit or play.

Hells bells, dude, I'm assuming you've heard of a QB by the name of John Elway. He played his entire career without an ACL. Same d@mn situation as Sindelar. Difference: JSindelar chose to have surgery after the season. Elway chose to play his entire career without surgery.

Those d@mn doctors that duped John Elway into playing with a torn ACL...

You can believe what you want, but I don't think you're being rational.

Let's hope the "world's best" are better than the guy that did Hummel's first one. Probably an IU grad.

Let's hope the "world's best" are better than the guy that did Hummel's first one. Probably an IU grad.

I'm not going to defend an IU grad, although an IU grad did mine and also does them for some of the best athletes (no, I'm not putting myself in that category).

And, yes, a few years back with Hummel and the rash of ACL tears on the football team there was a lot of banter about procedures, but sometimes the ACL repair just fails.

Sindelar couldnt injure it any worse. If they rush back, they COULD reinjure themselves and set their recovery back. No risk versus actual risk. See the difference?

Pretty sure that "guy" was Doc Shelbourne who does most but not all of Purdue Sports knee surgeries and is a Wabash College grad.

Not full of crap. Just a differing viewpoint. You seem to disagree with the timelines suggested by the GBI articles! I'm trying to lay out a path to support the timelines they suggested! Those timelines seem to disagree with your knowledge and experience of these type of injuries. I'm suggesting that our current doctors are not as catious. As you believe them to be. If Blough returns before the Spring game, I highly doubt you will give me any credit for knowing anything. The facts are there is really only one person who knows the true timeline! And that is the player himself. The doctors, trainers and coaches base their thinking off inputs from the player. If Sindelar says he'll return within 4 months, I tend to believe him verses any poster who talks about some other player in the past!

Sindelar has now torn the ACL in the same knee twice going back to HS. Robbie Hummel suffered similar situation and it took him the full 8 months to rehab/recover after the second surgery.

I would have to believe that the medical staff will be VERY cautious with respect to a quick return ?

Sindelar has now torn the ACL in the same knee twice going back to HS. Robbie Hummel suffered similar situation and it took him the full 8 months to rehab/recover after the second surgery.

I would have to believe that the medical staff will be VERY cautious with respect to a quick return ?

I thought Hummel's second ACL injury was in the donor knee. No?

Not full of crap. Just a differing viewpoint. You seem to disagree with the timelines suggested by the GBI articles! I'm trying to lay out a path to support the timelines they suggested! Those timelines seem to disagree with your knowledge and experience of these type of injuries. I'm suggesting that our current doctors are not as catious. As you believe them to be. If Blough returns before the Spring game, I highly doubt you will give me any credit for knowing anything. The facts are there is really only one person who knows the true timeline! And that is the player himself. The doctors, trainers and coaches base their thinking off inputs from the player. If Sindelar says he'll return within 4 months, I tend to believe him verses any poster who talks about some other player in the past!

I'm not disagreeing with any timelines. Everyone is different. Some experience little swelling, others have swelling even after a year. That's much of what dictates the timeline.

What's more, there's absolutely no way to know if our doctors are cautious or not. They let him play with a torn ACL. That has ZERO to do with being "cautious". He wasn't at risk, wasn't going to damage anything further, so there's no reason to ascribe their caution (or lack thereof) based on that observation.

For what it's worth, when I read your posts they do not read that you do have any inside knowledge, so, no, I doubt I'll be giving you credit for having it.

Am I the only one concerned to see theses articles on Blough saying he thinks he will be ready by Spring practice and Sindelar giving himself a 4 month turnaround time?

I love that we have ultra competitive players, and players that want to play, but both QBs had serious injuries. I don’t want them to come back too quickly and get hurt and miss regular season time, not to mention feeling it later on in normal life. Unless ACL surgeries have changed, 8 to 12 months is usually standard recovery time for this surgery, and it can take even longer to fully get back to the level they were at before the injury.
That might be players talking, but the Sports Med Dr. Shelbourne(?) and lead Athletic Trainer will have the final say. If either rushed it too early, we’d likely have a redshirt Freshman playing the season. ☹️

ADVERTISEMENT