ADVERTISEMENT

QB Jack Tuttle transferring to IU

Who is Jack Tuttle?

Top 200 QB ranked 8 overall pro style in the ‘18 class. Was granted a waiver and can play immediately with 4 years of eligibility. Definitely useful for the new OC. I’m not worried about what IU does, because if Purdue continues to do their thing and recruit as they do, they will continue to be the superior team. I am also not sure he will have any more success than Plummer, who Purdue will also have for 4 years of eligibility. The difference? Purdue has Moore, Bell, Wright, etc..

No. If he couldn’t see playing time as a QB in the worse Power 5 conference in college football, not too worried about him.

Plus they still have Coach Allen who has a better roster than Purdue’s the past two years and still found a way to lose the Bucket both times

Does this at all concern anyone about playing them in the immediate future?

He's not B1G ready by any means. And when was the last time IU actually developed a QB? I don't think he'll move ahead of Ramsey on the depth chart anyway.

You can say a lot about how bad IU has been over the years, something which happens frequently on this board and which I would never dispute, but the idea that IU hasn't developed a QB since Trent Green just isn't correct.

Nate Sudfeld was an excellent college QB and is headed into his 4th year in the NFL. Antwan Randle-El was a sensational college QB. Kellen Lewis and Ben Chappell were each pretty good for a couple of years. Tre Roberson was developing into a good QB too until he lost his job to Sudfeld.

The thing all these guys had in common was they played with awful defenses. So while they were highly productive QBs, their teams were mostly bad or at best mediocre.

And before anyone gives me the list of all the good or great Purdue QBs over the last 20 years or so (Brees, Orton, Painter, etc.), I am not comparing the two programs. I'm just responding to the idea that IU hasn't developed a QB since Trent Green which is silly.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
You can say a lot about how bad IU has been over the years, something which happens frequently on this board and which I would never dispute, but the idea that IU hasn't developed a QB since Trent Green just isn't correct.

Nate Sudfeld was an excellent college QB and is headed into his 4th year in the NFL. Antwan Randle-El was a sensational college QB. Kellen Lewis and Ben Chappell were each pretty good for a couple of years. Tre Roberson was developing into a good QB too until he lost his job to Sudfeld.

The thing all these guys had in common was they played with awful defenses. So while they were highly productive QBs, their teams were mostly bad or at best mediocre.

And before anyone gives me the list of all the good or great Purdue QBs over the last 20 years or so (Brees, Orton, Painter, etc.), I am not comparing the two programs. I'm just responding to the idea that IU hasn't developed a QB since Trent Green which is silly.

ARE was an athlete who just happened to play QB. There is a reason he didnt even get a sniff of QB in the NFL. Hated him at IU, because he was good, but to say he "developed" into a good QB is wrong. He was actually worse as a QB his senior year.

I’ll give you Sudfeld but Lewis and Chappell? Come on now lol.

The best thing Trent Green did for his team is get hurt so Kurt Warner could take over and win a Super Bowl. Also Trent Green still has, and probably will always have, the dirtiest move in Bucket Game history

Regarding Chappell, Sudfield, Roberson and Lewis:

2tyZcLl.gif

Sudfeld threw for 7,800 yards and 61 TDs in his career.

ARE threw for 7,400 yards and 42 TDs while running for 3,900 yards and 44 TDs.

Chappell threw for 7,200 yards and 45 TDs.

Lewis threw for 6,400 yards and 48 TDs.

Some of them may be easily forgotten by non-IU fans, given that they played mostly on bad teams, but that doesn't mean they weren't good QBs.

I'm not being a smart@ss in saying this... aside from ARE, anyone outside of Indiana is going to look at your list and say.... "who?"

saying those QBs were "developed" is a bit of a stretch. Everyone expects players to get better each year. IU is not considered a program that "develops" QB talent.

Sudfeld threw for 7,800 yards and 61 TDs in his career.

ARE threw for 7,400 yards and 42 TDs while running for 3,900 yards and 44 TDs.

Chappell threw for 7,200 yards and 45 TDs.

Lewis threw for 6,400 yards and 48 TDs.

Some of them may be easily forgotten by non-IU fans, given that they played mostly on bad teams, but that doesn't mean they weren't good QBs.

Curtis Painter isn’t even a top 5 QB all-time at Purdue and he threw for 11,163 yards lol. Night and day between IU and Purdue.

Curtis Painter isn’t even a top 5 QB all-time at Purdue and he threw for 11,163 yards lol. Night and day between IU and Purdue.

I'm not arguing that IU's QB over the last 20 years stack up to Purdue's. That imo would be silly. I'm only making the simple argument that IU has had good QBs which I don't see as that controversial. IU's struggles have not been on offense.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
I'm not arguing that IU's QB over the last 20 years stack up to Purdue's. That imo would be silly. I'm only making the simple argument that IU has had good QBs which I don't see as that controversial. IU's struggles have not been on offense.

"Good" is a relative term, subject to opinion.
The discussion was about development, not whether or not IU had "good" QBs.
You listed on QB (Roberson) who left because he lost his starting job. I don't think that helps your case that he was "developed". IMHO.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
When you're getting blown out in most of the games and throwing the ball against 2nd & 3rd string players, its pretty easy to pad your stats.

When you're getting blown out in most of the games and throwing the ball against 2nd & 3rd string players, its pretty easy to pad your stats.
This. It certainly helps the stat line when you’re trying to score for 60 min vs. bleeding the clock in the second half.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT