ADVERTISEMENT

Put on your opposing coaches' hat...

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
What defensive scheme would YOU use to stop Purdue?

Apart from double-teaming Edy, being highly physical with all others, and hoping Purdue has an off shooting night, I'm just not sure what you do when all others on the floor can knock down or pass the ball.

Maybe a zone but Purdue seemed to work through that the other night as well.

What say you?

Play some kind of zone while simultaneously just trying to prevent everyone other than Edey from going off on you? I'm not sure how easily that can be done. At some point, Edey will likely have an off game or get into foul trouble, but that's not really a strategy.

Would play Edey one on one all night and shut (try at least) everyone else down. If he gets 40-45 pts oh well. Put Edey in high ball screens all night on defense and ideally I would have a 5 who can shoot 3's at 40% or better. Basically like Michigan will do and has haha. Will be really curious to see how the Michigan games will play out this year.

Reactions: indyogb

Apart from double-teaming Edy, being highly physical with all others, and hoping Purdue has an off shooting night, I'm just not sure what you do when all others on the floor can knock down or pass the ball.

What say you?
I let Edey score what he can get and double on Newman, Gillis, Furst or Renn-Kaufman depending 0n which of those four are in the game.

Play 6 and hope no one notices?
the-little-rascals-1994.gif

So far the best concept was what Duke did in the 2nd half. Zone full court press and then fall back into zone on the half court. Letting Edey go one on one and basically get lay-ups all night is not the way. When you do that, you are almost always going to get your bigs in foul trouble.

Changing up between zone and man to man and doubling Edey when in Man to man is what I would do. Edey is not going to beat me, can everyone else carry the load? If they can, I lose, if they can't I win. Go back and watch the 2nd half against Duke. If Duke could have hit anything from 3 themselves, that was a completely different game. Their problem wasn't stopping us, they just couldn't buy a basket for the last 7:00 minutes of the game. I think their defensive strategy was solid.

Interesting prior answers. This question is predicated by Paint's commitment to an unstoppable 5 and at least two great outside shooters. If I were faced with this challenge, I would become a Belichek. STOP Edey and get his emotions involved. Get him pissed. Get a foul or two based on retaliation. And force the other guys to bring it. ..... and yes, I totally agree that Loyer, Newman, Gillis, TKR, Furst, and Smith will all BRING IT!!!!

Try to force Edey to catch the ball away from the basket. Force time to go over his right should. Throw double teams at him to get the ball out of his hands. Close out on the 3 pt line and force guys to put it on the floor. Hope the shooters are cold from 3.

What say you?
It's the same MSU / St. Pete's model. Grab, hold, foul on every play and assume that they won't call all of them. That's the age old adage in dealing with skill that the NBA has mostly taken away but the NCAA is very inconsistent in officiating.

It's the same MSU / St. Pete's model. Grab, hold, foul on every play and assume that they won't call all of them. That's the age old adage in dealing with skill that the NBA has mostly taken away but the NCAA is very inconsistent in officiating.
Yep. Just wait for some Big Ten road games. This question will be answered accordingly.

Reactions: northside100
I also would also play .up tempo to try and tire Edey out.

I believe we just saw a coach use the defensive scheme many of us predicted he would try to beat Purdue and it almost worked. Bow zone around Edy and a guy in front of him to deny edey the ball, and dare Purdue to shoot 3 pointers all night, and hope we have an off shooting night. and we did.

You can bet from here on out, other teams will try the same defense. and if the refs are not going to call the fouls, they will be even more physical. it's like the old hack a shac days.

When is the next time Purdue will shoot 20% from 3? So many good looks rimmed in and out. I don't see this defensive scheme working on a regular basis against us.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Zach is in really freaking good shape.... Good luck with that one..
I thought he tired today though. Down the stretch he was really reaching to get rebounds. That's what led to that 6 shot possession. He was lucky to tip one to a teammate at one point.

I believe we just saw a coach use the defensive scheme many of us predicted he would try to beat Purdue and it almost worked. Bow zone around Edy and a guy in front of him to deny edey the ball, and dare Purdue to shoot 3 pointers all night, and hope we have an off shooting night. and we did.

You can bet from here on out, other teams will try the same defense. and if the refs are not going to call the fouls, they will be even more physical. it's like the old hack a shac days.

You mean the defensive scheme where they foul all positions routinely & hope C. Green is your ref? Yea that works apparently.

You mean the defensive scheme where they foul all positions routinely & hope C. Green is your ref? Yea that works apparently.
St Peters game plan. I thought the 3’s were good shots just didn’t fall. First time we saw that game plan. I think we are good against it next time.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

What say you?
At a reception and so this will be very short. It is all a function of what kind of team you have and any modifications you make for the opposition. I’m a man person primarily and would probably have a team play mostly man. Might consider matchup in some games. Wouldn’t be opposed to not guarding one player very close to keep pressure on shooters and always have at least one extra body around the lane.

It’s all about my team and the opposition and any modifications that might be effective knowing what I have and who I’m playing. If it takes a miracle I go to extremes and if it should be close my modifications will be small.There are no solutions only things you are willing to give up as in all of life. I do think a physical game that the refs allow always brings teams together. Maybe get some pics of the refs in compromising situations

At a reception and so this will be very short. It is all a function of what kind of team you have and any modifications you make for the opposition. I’m a man person primarily and would probably have a team play mostly man. Might consider matchup in some games. Wouldn’t be opposed to not guarding one player very close to keep pressure on shooters and always have at least one extra body around the lane.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
I didn't say it would be successful. I said that's the type of defense i expect other teams to use in the future. they will try to keep Edey from touching the ball and dare Purdue to make 3 point shots. If the shots fall, teams will have to make adjustments. If they don't fall, then their strategy was a success.

if you look at the score and the last minute of the game, I'd have to say it was a very effective strategy. Nebraska had 6 chances to win the game in the regular time, and we were still missing our 3 point shots. we were lucky to walk away with a victory.

the original post asked what kind of defense would you use? I believe you will see other coaches trying this same defense, and hoping our guards miss. Our future success will be in finding a complementary outside game. Our defense saved us today.

Reactions: northside100
I thought he tired today though. Down the stretch he was really reaching to get rebounds. That's what led to that 6 shot possession. He was lucky to tip one to a teammate at one point.
Hopefully in future games they won't let 3 players hang on his arms all night.

It will happen again, you can book it.
I believe you. But I expect Coach Painter to alert league and ask them to make face-guarding a point of emphasis. Based on the Nebraska game, it seems the refs don't know that there is such a rule.

Try to force Edey to catch the ball away from the basket. Force time to go over his right should. Throw double teams at him to get the ball out of his hands. Close out on the 3 pt line and force guys to put it on the floor. Hope the shooters are cold from 3.
nailed it.....

ADVERTISEMENT