ADVERTISEMENT

PurdueSports Website Notes - Post Illinois Game

Boiler Addict

Gold Member
Feb 19, 2020
Some interesting notes.

https://purduesports.com/news/2022/...o-3-purdue-outlasts-no-13-illinois-84-68.aspx

• Purdue has won 51 straight games when shooting at least 50 percent from the field, 40 percent from 3-point range and 70 percent from the free throw line (was 50.8, 4.09 and 72.2 percent tonight).
  • Purdue is 145-12 under Painter when scoring at least 80 points, including 59-2 since the start of the 2017-18 season.
  • The Boilermakers have won 37 straight games when scoring 80 or more points.
  • Purdue moves to 183-17 under Painter when shooting 48 percent or better from the field, including a 23-game win streak. Purdue shot 50.8 percent from the field, including 64.5 percent in the second half.
  • Purdue has shot over 50.0 percent in 15-of-24 games and over 40.0 percent from 3-point range in 16 games.
  • The Boilermakers have scored 80 or more points in six straight Big Ten games for the first time since the 1997-98 season (7 straight games).
  • The matchup against Illinois was the first matchup between two top-13 teams in Mackey Arena since Feb. 20, 2011, and just the fifth in the Painter era. Purdue is 16-5 under Painter at home as a ranked team, and now 4-1 when both teams are ranked in the top 13.

Which bullet point is the most interesting to you? For me, its "Since the start of the 2017-18 season, Purdue is 59-2 under Painter when scoring at least 80 points."

In one way, it's kind of obvious why they win, but on the other, it spawned other thoughts:
- Purdue has gone 111-45 (156 total games) (.712 win %) since 2017-18 season.
- Purdue has scored at least 80 in 61/156 games (39% of games) in that time period. With 59-2 record. (.967 win %)
- Purdue has scored less than 80 in 95/156 games (61%) in that time period. With 52-43 record. (.547 win %)

I like the offensive juggernaut win percentage. Should we change the sign to "offense lives here" !?

“Purdue is 145-12 under Painter when scoring at least 80 points, including 59-2 since the start of the 2017-18 season. The Boilermakers have won 37 straight games when scoring 80 or more points.”

this should be posted any time someone says our defense it too weak to win it all.

“Purdue is 145-12 under Painter when scoring at least 80 points, including 59-2 since the start of the 2017-18 season. The Boilermakers have won 37 straight games when scoring 80 or more points.”

this should be posted any time someone says our defense it too weak to win it all.
Ask Iowa how that has worked out...

People saying the defense is too weak to win it all is based on stats that suggest that it indeed is...Purdue is absolutely testing those...we will see how it plays out.

It is fun to watch certainly...it is nice to know that you can get buckets from multiple sources...it is nice to have the options that Purdue does...this Purdue team is really difficult to match up with, especially if hitting 3s...but, no team yet has won a National Title with a defense as statistically as poor as Purdue's...that said, there is a first time for everything...I am good if that is the case here.

I don’t pay much attention to advanced metrics. But 37 straight wins is pretty good evidence.

Is their terrible defense adjusted for pace? They do in the NBA I don’t know about college.

The point I was making is that they are basically unbeatable when they score 80 and are totally pedestrian when they dont.

Reactions: Schnelk
I'll be watching 80 a lot more as the game goes. It's a toss up under 80....geeezzz. Remember Painter saying Purdue won't continue with the high scoring once BT play starts. Wonder what avg is in BT and win ratio?

I'll be watching 80 a lot more as the game goes. It's a toss up under 80....geeezzz. Remember Painter saying Purdue won't continue with the high scoring once BT play starts. Wonder what avg is in BT and win ratio?

I think the avg. for conference games is just under 80 - 79.92. The points scored in the three losses were 68, 69, and 65, respectively.....points given up were 70, 74, and 68, respectively. 70+ is a pretty good number for Purdue in conference; however, the average is skewed a little with Nebraska and Minnesota games, and going overtime with Illinois in the first game @ Illinois.

I now leave it in the capable hands of my fellow posters with much more expertise in statistics. :)

I don’t pay much attention to advanced metrics. But 37 straight wins is pretty good evidence.

Is their terrible defense adjusted for pace? They do in the NBA I don’t know about college.

The point I was making is that they are basically unbeatable when they score 80 and are totally pedestrian when they dont.
That’s a good point. If we are scoring quickly, opponents have extra possessions.

ADVERTISEMENT