ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue's Recruiting Disadvantage - Example?

Boiler Addict

Gold Member
Feb 19, 2020
Food for thought. In summary:
- Per 247 rankings, Jeff Brohm at Louisville [1 mo] has 11 4* players committed/signed.
- Per 247 rankings, Jeff Brohm at Purdue [7 cycles] had 15 4* recruits + 3 4* transfers = 18 total

Purdue Detail Stats

2017 - 0
2018 - 1 (R. Moore)
2019 - 4 (G. Karlaftis, Bell, Wright, Grant)
2020 - 5 (Carr, Alaimo, Murphy, ARY, Hartwig)
2021 - 1 (Y. Karlaftis)
2022 - 4 (Allen, Caraway, Strickland, Deville)
2023 - 0 (not counting Gilbert, he is only committed not signed and Collins went to high school basically on LSU's campus, primarily recruited by Biagi and seemingly just waiting for LSU's offer)

There was also (3) 4* transfers and only 1 of them has really played.
2021 - S. James and J. Anderson
2022 - Brevard

9 currently left on the roster.

Louisville Detail Stats

2021 - 3 (2 recruits and 1 transfer)
2022 - 7 (4 recruits and 3 transfer)
2023 - 11 (6 recruits and 5 transfers) (maybe more with 247 rankings not final)

2023 - to show the caliber of player in their 13 high school player recruiting class, 2 out of 3 of their lowest rated recruits are former Purdue commits that flipped (Keyjuan Brown .8786 and Saadiq Clements .8761). Keep in mind, those 2 guys were near the top for Purdue's class.

Last thought:
For Purdue's 4* players, interestingly, the first 5 were all starters and played a big part of the Purdue program for 3 years each. 3 were drafted [1st, 2nd, 3rd rounds]

The next 13, only 4 really have played a decent amount. Hartwig has been the most prominent to play, and Caraway, Brevard and Yanni. There's a couple that are also "wait and see".

Reactions: SKYDOG
- Per 247 rankings, Jeff Brohm at Louisville [1 mo] has 11 4* players committed/signed.
- Per 247 rankings, Jeff Brohm at Purdue [7 cycles] had 15 4* recruits + 3 4* transfers = 18 total

Purdue Detail Stats

2017 - 0
2018 - 1 (R. Moore)
2021 - 1 (Y. Karlaftis)
2023 - 0 (not counting Gilbert, he is only committed not signed and Collins went to high school basically on LSU's campus, primarily recruited by Biagi and seemingly just waiting for LSU's offer)

2022 - Brevard

Louisville Detail Stats

2023 - to show the caliber of player in their 13 high school player recruiting class, 2 out of 3 of their lowest rated recruits are former Purdue commits that flipped (Keyjuan Brown .8786 and Saadiq Clements .8761). Keep in mind, those 2 guys were near the top for Purdue's class.

Last thought:
For Purdue's 4* players, interestingly, the first 5 were all starters and played a big part of the Purdue program for 3 years each. 3 were drafted [1st, 2nd, 3rd rounds]

The next 13, only 4 really have played a decent amount. Hartwig has been the most prominent to play, and Caraway, Brevard and Yanni. There's a couple that are also "wait and see".
Brohm didn’t recruit most of this 2023 class at UL.

Purdue Detail Stats

2017 - 0
2018 - 1 (R. Moore)
2021 - 1 (Y. Karlaftis)

2022 - Brevard

Louisville Detail Stats

Last thought:

This was Satterfield's and UofL's NIL recruiting class. Brohm had nothing to do with it...

Brohm didn’t recruit most of this 2023 class at UL.
All the transfers committed while he was there and he retained all but 1 4* star recruit from a group that almost all are ranked in the top 500, when I'm sure they had other opportunities and coaches calling. He still had to recruit them.

By the way, did anyone see Jack Plummer is going to Louisville?

If I inferred your statement correctly, if kids are so tied to school's, it begs the questions of
- why did did Purdue lose so many commitments?
- why is there so many in college football the portal?
- why did 4* not flock to Louisville before? 3 in 2021? 0 in 2020? 1 in 2019?

All the transfers committed while he was there and he retained all but 1 4* star recruit from a group that almost all are ranked in the top 500, when I'm sure they had other opportunities and coaches calling. He still had to recruit them.

By the way, did anyone see Jack Plummer is going to Louisville?

If I inferred your statement correctly, if kids are so tied to school's, it begs the questions of
- why did did Purdue lose so many commitments?
- why is there so many in college football the portal?
- why did 4* not flock to Louisville before? 3 in 2021? 0 in 2020? 1 in 2019?
Louisville is giving any 4 or 5 star $100,000 if they show on campus before the season starts

Purdue Detail Stats

2017 - 0
2018 - 1 (R. Moore)
2021 - 1 (Y. Karlaftis)

2022 - Brevard

Louisville Detail Stats

Last thought:

Faucheaux was a 4 star in the 19 class too.

Faucheaux was a 4 star in the 19 class too.

No he wasn’t. Shows 3 star on 247.
https://247sports.com/player/steven-faucheux-46036899/

This was Satterfield's and UofL's NIL recruiting class. Brohm had nothing to do with it...
I’ll ignore addressing this. So Louisville’s NIL gives them a recruiting advantage? Thanks for proving my point.

Satterfield had a top 15 class before he left.
Not quite. He had like 12 commits. Not enough.

Has nothing to do with Satterfield and the NIL folks leaving Brohm a top 15 class.

Louisville is giving any 4 or 5 star $100,000 if they show on campus before the season starts

Good to see you guys agree with the thread heading and proving my point. Purdue has a recruiting disadvantage.

You’re inaccurate with some of your statements, and can’t answer questions that shows the weakness in your statement, but that’s ok. We made it across the finish line.

I’ll ignore addressing this. So Louisville’s NIL gives them a recruiting advantage? Thanks for proving my point.

Good to see you guys agree with the thread heading and proving my point. Purdue has a recruiting disadvantage.

You’re inaccurate with some of your statements, and can’t answer questions that shows the weakness in your statement, but that’s ok. We made it across the finish line.

I'll ignore addressing the fact that you inaccurately attribute Louisville's recruiting class to Brohm...

You forgot to mention the math requirement for students to gain admission. Purdue has lost out on a lot of athletes who did not meets our admissions requirements

As I’ve said 1,000 times, the recruiting class I credit goes to the coach who signs the players. Before signing day, each player has the opportunity to decomit and sign with a different team. Look at the offensive lineman who decided to sign with Alabama instead of Iowa. It’s the coach’s job to retain all commits! Satterfield may have rounded up this class for Louisville but it was Brohm who signed them. Therefore it’s Brohm’s class.

Much like Walters and Purdue. Some of the players wanted to play for Walters and some didn’t and decided to go elsewhere. So what you see is walter’s first recruiting year at Purdue. Whoever signed is credited to Walters!

Getting a player to sign an LOI is what counts, not some verbal commitment

As I’ve said 1,000 times, the recruiting class I credit goes to the coach who signs the players. Before signing day, each player has the opportunity to decomit and sign with a different team. Look at the offensive lineman who decided to sign with Alabama instead of Iowa. It’s the coach’s job to retain all commits! Satterfield may have rounded up this class for Louisville but it was Brohm who signed them. Therefore it’s Brohm’s class.

Much like Walters and Purdue. Some of the players wanted to play for Walters and some didn’t and decided to go elsewhere. So what you see is walter’s first recruiting year at Purdue. Whoever signed is credited to Walters!

Getting a player to sign an LOI is what counts, not some verbal commitment
Absolute BS. You can say it 1000 times more and it won't make it true. Brohm had a lot of buzz going to Louisville. The timing is much different for Purdue in this situation and put them at a distinct disadvantage in signing recruits. Brohms's timing absolutely screwed Purdue in signing it's class. Walter's was placed at a ridiculous disadvantage with the signing date and the portal. If you can't see the difference then you can't be helped. Satterfield left the cupboard full at Louisville and the timing was perfect for Brohm to hit the ground running ahead of signing day and the portal. Walters did not have that luxury and was placed at a distinct disadvantage. Brohm totally screwed Purdue and keeping Brian to coach the bowl game added insult to injury.

Purdue Detail Stats

2017 - 0
2018 - 1 (R. Moore)
2021 - 1 (Y. Karlaftis)

2022 - Brevard

Louisville Detail Stats

Last thought:

That really shows nothing other than Satterfield was a good recruiter. Brohm's timing was perfect to hit the ground running and secure the class that Satterfield had recruited. Brohm left Purdue in a compromised position with no coach the week before signing and the portal opening, Brohm will make a big splash with someone else's recruits. He totally screwed Purdue by leaving when he did and the recruiting class shows it. Not only that, it shows no advantage to Lville at all. It is all about timing. Lville has been a hot mess for years. Now they have their savior to turn them around with someone else's recruits. Do I sound bitter? Damn right I'm bitter. Purdue made Brohm a millionaire and he left the cupboard bare. I'm glad he's gone. I was sick of hearing about the "ville" and how he wanted to go home. He's off to a great start thanks to someone else.

Here is our disadvantage. It is that UL is willing to spend whatever it takes to get recruits. They were doing this years before the NIL. That is why we saw the big basketball scandal years ago.

We have the Boilermaker Alliance, which is not going to compete for the top athletes. That is not our conservative style. As they have talked about the Boilermaker Alliance, this is about Purdue athletes representing charities and causes, which is great. That is a student athlete. However, most big-time recruits don't care about this type of things, at least not at this age. When they turn professional, they might set up a charity or foundation. They want to do the things that get the most exposure and money. They have always been put on a pedestal. There is an IU basketball player, which I think is overrated and don't want to mention, that does a John Jones Auto Group TV commercial in this area. The John Jones Auto Group has about 4 to 5 dealerships locations throughout Southern Indiana.

Let's just be honest. With the flow of free money out there at so many schools, we are going to get left behind in the NIL world. That is just the reality.

That really shows nothing other than Satterfield was a good recruiter. Brohm's timing was perfect to hit the ground running and secure the class that Satterfield had recruited. Brohm left Purdue in a compromised position with no coach the week before signing and the portal opening, Brohm will make a big splash with someone else's recruits. He totally screwed Purdue by leaving when he did and the recruiting class shows it. Not only that, it shows no advantage to Lville at all. It is all about timing. Lville has been a hot mess for years. Now they have their savior to turn them around with someone else's recruits. Do I sound bitter? Damn right I'm bitter. Purdue made Brohm a millionaire and he left the cupboard bare. I'm glad he's gone. I was sick of hearing about the "ville" and how he wanted to go home. He's off to a great start thanks to someone else.

A monkey handing out the checks would have been as good of a recruiter as Satterfield at Louisville...

Purdue has two disadvantages in recruiting: Admissions standards and NIL. Purdue’s best path forward is recruiting developmental talent out of High School and getting players through the portal that were either underutilized elsewhere or want to showcase their talent on a higher level. We do not have the horsepower to play the same game as Ohio State or Bama, and trying to do so, like Louisville is, will only lead to disappointment. We can still compete, but we cannot out spend other schools.

Reactions: Lionheart1
Purdue has two disadvantages in recruiting: Admissions standards and NIL. Purdue’s best path forward is recruiting developmental talent out of High School and getting players through the portal that were either underutilized elsewhere or want to showcase their talent on a higher level. We do not have the horsepower to play the same game as Ohio State or Bama, and trying to do so, like Louisville is, will only lead to disappointment. We can still compete, but we cannot out spend other schools.

There's a lot of room between 'Bama/Ohio State and the MAC.

Purdue doesn't have to take developmental players. They just have to recruit at a realistic level for Purdue and not have so many misses on 4 stars that they have over the past several years.

And not sure how we'll be disappointed in a better NIL program...

Zion’s . Sorry you’re so upset. The truth is Walters was recruiting players throughout the year just like Brohm was! A lot of the players Brohm recruited decided to follow him and sign with him. I have to believe Brohm also contacted all of the players Satterfield previously recruited to come to Louisville. And the vast majority of them also decided to play for Brohm rather than follow Satterfield to Cincy.

Let’s be honest and realistic. Brohm got the players he wanted! This is his class! He got players to come from Purdue and he also out recruited Satterfield to keep his players at Louisville and not transfer.

Brohm is a master at recruiting!

Walters persuaded one player he recruited to come to Purdue. I’m a little surprised he was not able to pursuance more.

And the philosophy about he had so little time is total BS. These coaches have recruited these players for the past 3 years. The players know the coaches and the schools. Many players blindly follow the coaches wherever they go rather than than the schools. None of these coaches just started recruiting these players last week. The players made their own decisions where they wanted to go and who they wanted to play for.

In this case, Brohm was the big winner over both Satterfield and Walters!

There is an article on a different site that said as part of Brohm’s recruiting pitch, he said to recruits, now when the Louisville job opens, I’ll be coaching there and this is what to expect at z louisville. Brohm was never recruiting players to play at Purdue. He was recruiting players to play for him!

It is what it is . Learn to accept loyalty goes to the coach, not the school.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one and SKYDOG

Purdue Detail Stats

2017 - 0
2018 - 1 (R. Moore)
2021 - 1 (Y. Karlaftis)

2022 - Brevard

Louisville Detail Stats

Last thought:

Appreciate the break down. But let me help everyone.

How many national championships did all their 4 stars help them get the last 100 years?

How many national championships did our very few 4 star recruits get over the last 100 years?

If the answer is zero. Who cares what the ratings are and what Brohm does.

Obviously many people here care! Look at all the posters who talk about recruiting rankings as if they actually mean something! Look at how many people here talk about how great a player is based solely bon their ranking.

It’s not like we ever talk about players who have 5 star ratings. People here think 4 star players are awesome, they don’t even talk about 5 stars!

What would this board do if Purdue ever recruited a 5 star athlete. And what would happen if we signed one? The server would crash.

At Alabama, a 4 star would probably red shirt! And then leave via the transfer portal

Zion’s . Sorry you’re so upset. The truth is Walters was recruiting players throughout the year just like Brohm was! A lot of the players Brohm recruited decided to follow him and sign with him. I have to believe Brohm also contacted all of the players Satterfield previously recruited to come to Louisville. And the vast majority of them also decided to play for Brohm rather than follow Satterfield to Cincy.

Let’s be honest and realistic. Brohm got the players he wanted! This is his class! He got players to come from Purdue and he also out recruited Satterfield to keep his players at Louisville and not transfer.

Walters persuaded one player he recruited to come to Purdue. I’m a little surprised he was not able to pursuance more.

And the philosophy about he had so little time is total BS. These coaches have recruited these players for the past 3 years. The players know the coaches and the schools. Many players blindly follow the coaches wherever they go rather than than the schools. None of these coaches just started recruiting these players last week. The players made their own decisions where they wanted to go and who they wanted to play for.

There is an article on a different site that said as part of Brohm’s recruiting pitch, he said to recruits, now when the Louisville job opens, I’ll be coaching there and this is what to expect at z louisville. Brohm was never recruiting players to play at Purdue. He was recruiting players to play for him!

News for you. Brohm was a head coach and Walters was not. Recruiting all year was not the same. You equating the way things are is not even close to the same. Your assessment is flawed and wrong. Brohm a master at recruiting? LMAO! He did ok, but look at where our classes were ranked. He is hardly a recruiting juggernaut. He is good at the Xs and Os, but we were routinely out recruited by most of the Big Ten. Brohm was a big winner over us because Satterfield did all the leg work and Brohm left us at the altar while the bridal march was playing. The timing of Brohm leaving was a disaster for Purdue recruiting and a perfect setup for Brohm at Louisville. That you can't see that jades everything else you are posting. Many times I agree with what you post, on this issue you are blinded. The timing of how things happened was perfect for Brohm. Brohm absolutely was the winner in all of this. The deck was stacked in his favor from top to bottom. Purdue was dealt a raw deal. In the end, Purdue may come out of this better than with Brohm. Walters appears to be up to the challenge. Brohm's heart was never in coaching Purdue. He did ok turning things around, but winning 50% of your games is not exactly mind blowing.
I'm actually glad he's gone. I was tired of hearing about Lville as if it were a destination job. I just wish he hadn't screwed us so bad by leaving when he did. The timing couldn't have been worse.

I did like Brohm but he wasn't a master at recruiting

Faucheaux was a 4 star on Rivals

Reactions: pboiler18
I
News for you. Brohm was a head coach and Walters was not. Recruiting all year was not the same. You equating the way things are is not even close to the same. Your assessment is flawed and wrong. Brohm a master at recruiting? LMAO! He did ok, but look at where our classes were ranked. He is hardly a recruiting juggernaut. He is good at the Xs and Os, but we were routinely out recruited by most of the Big Ten. Brohm was a big winner over us because Satterfield did all the leg work and Brohm left us at the altar while the bridal march was playing. The timing of Brohm leaving was a disaster for Purdue recruiting and a perfect setup for Brohm at Louisville. That you can't see that jades everything else you are posting. Many times I agree with what you post, on this issue you are blinded. The timing of how things happened was perfect for Brohm. Brohm absolutely was the winner in all of this. The deck was stacked in his favor from top to bottom. Purdue was dealt a raw deal. In the end, Purdue may come out of this better than with Brohm. Walters appears to be up to the challenge. Brohm's heart was never in coaching Purdue. He did ok turning things around, but winning 50% of your games is not exactly mind blowing.
I'm actually glad he's gone. I was tired of hearing about Lville as if it were a destination job. I just wish he hadn't screwed us so bad by leaving when he did. The timing couldn't have been worse.
I will agree. Brohm wasn’t the greatest recruiter and evaluator of talent. And he sure allowed a lot of Indiana offensive linemen get away to schools like Iowa. And he sure did place a priority on recruiting receivers over any other position. he struck out on many of his targets and offers. And there were many 4/5 star recruits within Indiana he didn’t even bother recruiting.

Looking back, the Indiana / Illinois/Michigan/Ohio area has a ton of talent. A coach doesn’t really need to go to Florida and Texas if they could just keep the Indiana talent from going elsewhere.

I did like the fact that Brohm recruited from multiple sources including high school, juco, transfers and the portal rather than concentrating on just one source.

One thing that has not been mentioned. Brohm was not the only coach at Purdue that recruited. A lot of the players he signed were recruited by his assistants. And that is the same with every school.

And that is what I don’t understand about Walters and his staff. They were all assistant coaches somewhere. As assistants they should all have been actively recruiting somebody at their previous schools. Each of them had to have made contacts with someone. Yet only one of the players they recruited for their other schools wanted to follow them to Purdue. I have to believe besides just coaching they were also recruiting. I know Purdue assistant coaches spent a lot of their time recruiting. That was rather disappointing.

When I talk about Brohm’s recruiting, many times I compare him to Hazell and Hope. Maybe rather than comparing him to Hazell I should have compared him to the coaches at Minn, Iowa, Northwestern and Illinois. Each coach seemed to have different priorities.

I had another thought last night. I was thinking playing in the championship big 10 game did not really benefit Purdue and could have actually hurt Purdue.

If we had lost the tie breaker we may have gone to the Outback Bowl rather than the citrus Bowl and we would have looked better.

If we were not playing in the big 10 championship game, Brohm probably would have left immediately after the Indiana game and Purdue could have been like Nebraska and hired a new coach and staff 2 weeks earlier. The new staff could have been in place to coach the bowl game. And could have had more time and success in their recruiting efforts!

If Walters was in place 2-3 weeks earlier it would have been a plus for the future!

I

I will agree. Brohm wasn’t the greatest recruiter and evaluator of talent. And he sure allowed a lot of Indiana offensive linemen get away to schools like Iowa. And he sure did place a priority on recruiting receivers over any other position. he struck out on many of his targets and offers. And there were many 4/5 star recruits within Indiana he didn’t even bother recruiting.

Looking back, the Indiana / Illinois/Michigan/Ohio area has a ton of talent. A coach doesn’t really need to go to Florida and Texas if they could just keep the Indiana talent from going elsewhere.

I did like the fact that Brohm recruited from multiple sources including high school, juco, transfers and the portal rather than concentrating on just one source.

One thing that has not been mentioned. Brohm was not the only coach at Purdue that recruited. A lot of the players he signed were recruited by his assistants. And that is the same with every school.

And that is what I don’t understand about Walters and his staff. They were all assistant coaches somewhere. As assistants they should all have been actively recruiting somebody at their previous schools. Each of them had to have made contacts with someone. Yet only one of the players they recruited for their other schools wanted to follow them to Purdue. I have to believe besides just coaching they were also recruiting. I know Purdue assistant coaches spent a lot of their time recruiting. That was rather disappointing.

When I talk about Brohm’s recruiting, many times I compare him to Hazell and Hope. Maybe rather than comparing him to Hazell I should have compared him to the coaches at Minn, Iowa, Northwestern and Illinois. Each coach seemed to have different priorities.
I believe the issue on recruiting with Walters is that no one knows what exactly what to expect from him. He hasn’t run a program or coached a game so the unknown might be holding recruits from committing to Purdue.

That is basically true with a lot of new coaches. Without an established track record many of your e 4/5 star recruits will either ignore you or will take a wait and see approach. Very few recruits want to be bold and be that foundation to build a championship team on. They are more interested in joining one that is already built. A recruit is more likely to go to OSU or Alabama because of their past success and the other players already in place.

I’m sort of amazed and coach prime time’s recruiting success at Colorado. He reminds me of another con artist that talks a lot and people blindly believe his every word

I believe the issue on recruiting with Walters is that no one knows what exactly what to expect from him. He hasn’t run a program or coached a game so the unknown might be holding recruits from committing to Purdue.
Absolutely! Rounding out the ‘23 class and transfer portal will be a toss up. I’ve seen a ton of offers already go out all over the place so it will be interesting to see what the 2024 class looks like when it’s all said and done. For all the ‘24 kids that commit before the season are strictly picking Purdue for the coaches and education so hopefully the coaches can leave a great impression!

Agree, I think that's what makes this discussion a 'Moot Point'. We as Boilers can just hope that he exceeds expectations.

That really shows nothing other than Satterfield was a good recruiter.

Wrong.

At least at Louisville. I have no idea how well he recruited at App State.

If he was really a good recruiter, the class he built at Louisville would have followed his a$s to Cincy. One or two did. But that was it.

But at Louisville, he consistently under performed. Maybe he learned a lesson, and won't suck at Cincy. But color me skeptical.

ADVERTISEMENT