ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Women’s Basketball Off-Season Primer

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Boiler Upload gets you ready for the #Purdue women’s basketball off-season.

- Who does Purdue have to replace?
- Dipping into the transfer portal
- Top 25 recruiting class enters fold

No mention of Potts until the end of the article. I don't know why but with her hype from high school and all the talk about her prior to joining the Boilers, I had high expectations. Guess hype and actuality aren't always the same. I may be wrong but thought some had said she had a Big10 ready body and skills.

No mention of Potts until the end of the article. I don't know why but with her hype from high school and all the talk about her prior to joining the Boilers, I had high expectations. Guess hype and actuality aren't always the same. I may be wrong but thought some had said she had a Big10 ready body and skills.
Me as well, her season was extremely weird. I understand Frosh getting limited minutes, she got no minutes even in blowouts, strange to me.

My educated guess is 2-3 spots open up soon due to transfers, odd there hasn’t been any yet besides Stoddard, no way there’s none, I would be stunned.
There is really not much reason for Potts or Learn to come back.

Boiler Upload gets you ready for the #Purdue women’s basketball off-season.

- Who does Purdue have to replace?
- Dipping into the transfer portal
- Top 25 recruiting class enters fold

Nice article, Dub. Thanks for your continued coverage.

There is really not much reason for Potts or Learn to come back.
Unless they have significant others and actually are concerned with education/majors? If they’re happy at Purdue I hope they stick around, both are still young enough to have the chance to contribute. Seems like Terry is going to stick around, that’s relatively good news, would be nice to see her score a bit more, that needs to be emphasized.

Reactions: DocRon
Unless they have significant others and actually are concerned with education/majors? If they’re happy at Purdue I hope they stick around, both are still young enough to have the chance to contribute. Seems like Terry is going to stick around, that’s relatively good news, would be nice to see her score a bit more, that needs to be emphasized.
Speaking strictly from a basketball perspective:

Learn did not play until Kyle was injured, played well and earned more minutes as her freshman year progressed. She saw an immediate cut to her playing time to start this year and then had her minutes cut more and more all year long, playing only 30 seconds in one game. She clearly does not bring what CKG wants from her players and I seriously doubt if Gearlds can get a big as a transfer in or Groot gets PT that Learn will fare any better next season.
Potts is so low on the coaches list that even in 25 point blowouts she was not considered to get into the games. That sends a pretty clear message with 5 guards /wings coming in next season that your chances of contributing are between slim and none, not counting CKG landing another wing transfer.

Speaking strictly from a basketball perspective:

Learn did not play until Kyle was injured, played well and earned more minutes as her freshman year progressed. She saw an immediate cut to her playing time to start this year and then had her minutes cut more and more all year long, playing only 30 seconds in one game. She clearly does not bring what CKG wants from her players and I seriously doubt if Gearlds can get a big as a transfer in or Groot gets PT that Learn will fare any better next season.
Potts is so low on the coaches list that even in 25 point blowouts she was not considered to get into the games. That sends a pretty clear message with 5 guards /wings coming in next season that your chances of contributing are between slim and none, not counting CKG landing another wing transfer.
Mostly agree, Learn probably could earn upwards to 15 minutes a game, as for Potts, maybe there’s more to it that we don’t know?

For Learn it all depends on the transfers. I think shes already on the outside looking in for playing time. They bring in one or two post players then she might get under 10 minutes. If shes happy with that and wont create problems off the court then keep her around.

Potts might be even more on the outside. There are at least 3 to 4 coming in who play at her position and CKG seems pretty locked in on the freshman. I dont know how many scholarships you want that dont produce any points.

The wildcard for me is Holzer. You have to guess that she will get a shot. I saw a few highlights of her from Europe and she looks talented but will she be able to unseat Terry/Ellis/Jones and company.

My guess is sometime in this next week or maybe two we’ll hear roster news, I would guess one on one meetings would be taking place.

Learn is the most undervalued player on the team. If she got more playing time and a little bit of confidence from Coach, I think she could be very good for the team.
She runs like a gazelle - very fast up and down the floor and seems to have decent court vision and bball IQ. Really puzzled by her diminished playing time this past season. She’s great on the bench too, cheering her teammates. Probably needs a bit more strength and “beefiness” but not sure her build is one which is able to put that on.
Regardless, I hope she stays and gets more time - one of my favorite players. But…. ya gotta contribute to be in the rotation. Conundrum…

She runs like a gazelle - very fast up and down the floor and seems to have decent court vision and bball IQ. Really puzzled by her diminished playing time this past season. She’s great on the bench too, cheering her teammates. Probably needs a bit more strength and “beefiness” but not sure her build is one which is able to put that on.
Regardless, I hope she stays and gets more time - one of my favorite players. But…. ya gotta contribute to be in the rotation. Conundrum…
Learn brought more to the floor IMO than Hardin, so not sure you have to contribute that much to be in the rotation..........

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Mike Carmin posted a while ago on the other site (Gold&Black, On3) that
Addison Potts has entered the transfer portal. He also said “expect more to come” …. to which I replied “more news on Potts? Or more transfers?”
I’m hoping it’s not Ava Learn, but have a bad feeling….

Addison Potts has entered the transfer portal. He also said “expect more to come” …. to which I replied “more news on Potts? Or more transfers?”
Sounds like it could be Ava with Purdue already reaching out to Minnesota sophomore Alanna Micheaux, who is a 6-foot-2 forward. It will be interesting to see what all shakes out from this offseason

Probably her and possibly the PG from Switzerland. Also, Terry entered last year, guessing it’s possible it happens again.

Layden wont be going anywhere. Pretty hard to push someone out with less than a year until they graduate. Learn has amazing effort and incredible enthusiasm something the program sorely needs. I dont think shes that great of a basketball player and reminds me of Nojell Eastern. Physically gifted but looks lost at times and can get into foul trouble the longer she plays. To me shes not big enough to be a true post and not mobile enough to be a a wing. but the same could be said about madison.

it will probably boil down to if she wants to play meaningful minutes. Optimistically the new players will have an impact but learn might get 10 to 15 a game since she knows the system. If she wants more I don't see that happening. She seems like a great individual and I always appreciated when she has interacted with my grandkids.

we will have to agree to disagree on Hardins impact, Michael.

I think that Learn has a jump shot that the Boilers need. With her athletic and rebounding skills, that shot would be very helpful. Now if the coach would let her take it, I am predicting big things for her.

Layden wont be going anywhere. Pretty hard to push someone out with less than a year until they graduate. Learn has amazing effort and incredible enthusiasm something the program sorely needs. I dont think shes that great of a basketball player and reminds me of Nojell Eastern. Physically gifted but looks lost at times and can get into foul trouble the longer she plays. To me shes not big enough to be a true post and not mobile enough to be a a wing. but the same could be said about madison.

it will probably boil down to if she wants to play meaningful minutes. Optimistically the new players will have an impact but learn might get 10 to 15 a game since she knows the system. If she wants more I don't see that happening. She seems like a great individual and I always appreciated when she has interacted with my grandkids.

we will have to agree to disagree on Hardins impact, Michael.
Hardin scores .2767 points for every minute she played this year. Learn scored .3174, shot a higher percentage, rebounded at a much higher rate and shot a better FT percentage by nearly 10 percentage points. Hardin is short, slow, and a poor defender.... ALL she has is a mediocre three point shot....

Reactions: Larry77
Hardin had a lot of spirit and gave great effort. It seems to me though that her 3 pt % shooting did not earn her all the playing time she had. Some of that time could have been given to developing others.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Hardin scores .2767 points for every minute she played this year. Learn scored .3174, shot a higher percentage, rebounded at a much higher rate and shot a better FT percentage by nearly 10 percentage points. Hardin is short, slow, and a poor defender.... ALL she has is a mediocre three point shot....
Feel like thats cherry picking stats. Guarantee learn played more minutes her ppm would be lower. Hardin while short held her own against post players was one of the only players to take a charge. Learn was also on the court with the second unit when Hardin was the fourth option behind Ellis/Petree/Harper in the starting five. Learn had a total of four points in her two starts this year for .1333 ppm.

the caveat to all of that. neither are high level players for the B1G. Learn could be serviceable on a Versyp type team. would giving her more minutes help the team reach the top four of the conference. I would say the same thing of Hardin if she had more time. Both would be good for the last couple of years but dont know about the future.

But like I said Michael. Agree to disagree. Zen.

Hardin did as well as could be expected when assigned to guard taller and stronger post players. That was her assignment and, as far as I know, she did it without complaining. For that I admire her even if her 3PT shooting never improved over her last 2 years. She is gone now and I bet she will be an excellent doc.

Hardin did as well as could be expected when assigned to guard taller and stronger post players. That was her assignment and, as far as I know, she did it without complaining. For that I admire her even if her 3PT shooting never improved over her last 2 years. She is gone now and I bet she will be an excellent doc.
No complaints about HArdin's heart or effort, just never understood CKG's infatuation with playing her huge minutes when she is so blatantly limited as a player. She struggled guarding posts, because of her height. She struggled guarding wings because of her slow foot speed. All while taller more athletic players lingered on the end of the bench.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
No complaints about HArdin's heart or effort, just never understood CKG's infatuation with playing her huge minutes when she is so blatantly limited as a player. She struggled guarding posts, because of her height. She struggled guarding wings because of her slow foot speed. All while taller more athletic players lingered on the end of the bench.
that's a fair point. Probably came down to the question of basketball IQ being in the right position/knowing the gameplan and a lack of athleticism vs. athleticism and a lack of basketball IQ. Need better and smarter players than either one to take the next step.

Feel like thats cherry picking stats. Guarantee learn played more minutes her ppm would be lower. Hardin while short held her own against post players was one of the only players to take a charge. Learn was also on the court with the second unit when Hardin was the fourth option behind Ellis/Petree/Harper in the starting five. Learn had a total of four points in her two starts this year for .1333 ppm.

the caveat to all of that. neither are high level players for the B1G. Learn could be serviceable on a Versyp type team. would giving her more minutes help the team reach the top four of the conference. I would say the same thing of Hardin if she had more time. Both would be good for the last couple of years but dont know about the future.

But like I said Michael. Agree to disagree. Zen.
Defense, rebounding, shooting percentage, scoring rate, and FT percentage..... How is all of that cherry picking stats? Hardin did SLIGHTLY better in assists which is pretty bad for a wing versus a post, steals and 3 point shooting...... what other stats do you want for it not to be cherry picking? (all of this is said in good humor and a smirk) ;)

Last edited:
Hardin was a hard working dedicated veteran who pushed back medical school a year to play for Kattie. You have to factor in these amazing facts to figure Katie's preference for her being on the court so much.

Reactions: Russ Ford
She wasn’t turnover prone and rarely in foul trouble. Just a steady blue collar player.

It’s going to be very interesting to see how Holzer does next year. Age-wise she’s a junior (will turn 21 this year) but with freshman eligibility. She graduated high school and then play a year of pro-level European basketball and then redshirted this year due to injury. I didn’t know if she’d stick it out or go back home but it looks like she will. Physically she has filled out her frame and I’ve watched some of her highlights from a couple years ago and came away impressed. She’s a pass first PG but it looks like her jumper is a lot better than Terry’s. It will be nice to have someone to potentially relieve JT when she’s not hitting shots like she was prone to do. Ellis/Layden was our only options this past year but neither are really true PGs. Having an another experienced PG on the roster next year will really help with our depth.

It’s going to be very interesting to see how Holzer does next year. Age-wise she’s a junior (will turn 21 this year) but with freshman eligibility. She graduated high school and then play a year of pro-level European basketball and then redshirted this year due to injury. I didn’t know if she’d stick it out or go back home but it looks like she will. Physically she has filled out her frame and I’ve watched some of her highlights from a couple years ago and came away impressed. She’s a pass first PG but it looks like her jumper is a lot better than Terry’s. It will be nice to have someone to potentially relieve JT when she’s not hitting shots like she was prone to do. Ellis/Layden was our only options this past year but neither are really true PGs. Having an another experienced PG on the roster next year will really help with our depth.
I'm not that impressed with Holzer, much more so with Jones who I think will be Terry's backup. One of those two will likely be buried at the end of the bench, a la Potts this year.

I think Hardin had some decent moments, but not enough. I questioned her being on the court many times, but then the options weren't the best at the time I guess either. If she was hitting some threes, that is one thing, but it was here and there. Hardin has a good honorable Boiler heart, but I feel changing of the guard is a must if we are going to climb that ladder.

I'm not that impressed with Holzer, much more so with Jones who I think will be Terry's backup. One of those two will likely be buried at the end of the bench, a la Potts this year.
Not impressed with a player you’ve never seen play a minute in a Purdue uniform. Hah ok. Jones is a scoring guard - Holzer is a pass first PG - jones is much more likely to be backing up Ellis than Terry

Reactions: Russ Ford
Not impressed with a player you’ve never seen play a minute in a Purdue uniform. Hah ok. Jones is a scoring guard - Holzer is a pass first PG - jones is much more likely to be backing up Ellis than Terry

But its okay for you to be impressed with a player you have never seen play a minute in a Purdue uniform? You are consistently inconsistent in your attitude towards any idea you did not have. I was more impressed with the Potts highlights than Hoelzers, but we shall see. As for Jones, she is a scoring PG as far as I can tell, more like some here wish Terry would become. I think she brings a lot more tools to the table than Hoelzer does, but we shall all see next season. Unlike you, I am willing to agree that Hoelzer may be the better PG, but neither of us really knows much of anything about it at this point. We are giving opinions on an opinion board, you just cannot abide with anyone, especially me, having an opinion other than one you have stamped with the BoilerPride seal of approval. LOL

But its okay for you to be impressed with a player you have never seen play a minute in a Purdue uniform? You are consistently inconsistent in your attitude towards any idea you did not have. I was more impressed with the Potts highlights than Hoelzers, but we shall see. As for Jones, she is a scoring PG as far as I can tell, more like some here wish Terry would become. I think she brings a lot more tools to the table than Hoelzer does, but we shall all see next season. Unlike you, I am willing to agree that Hoelzer may be the better PG, but neither of us really knows much of anything about it at this point. We are giving opinions on an opinion board, you just cannot abide with anyone, especially me, having an opinion other than one you have stamped with the BoilerPride seal of approval. LOL
Please show where I said I was “impressed” with her in a Purdue uniform? Please. That’s right…you can’t. All I said was that it was going to be interesting to see how she will perform given her age and experience. KG must have been pretty impressed with her as I’m sure if she wasn’t she would’ve been honest with her about her playing time and future with the program. It pays more than ever as a coach to be honest with players, especially with those who they didn’t recruit directly as she was 100% a SV recruit, because they can easily replace them with players from the portal that they do like. Considering she’s still with the program means KG must’ve been impressed and thinks she has a future with us. Stoddard and Potts obviously didn’t impress KG - and they high tailed it out of here. More power to them.

I will say I’ve seen several videos from when she was a high school player 2 years ago and her skills seem to very advanced then and she’s had 2 years further to enhance them and get a college-ready body. You were more impressed with Jones considering we have the same evidence with both players? Ok…makes sense.

The point of the post was wondering how she’d perform with her experience. Reading comprehension continues to be an issue for you, isn’t it Michael.

Last edited:
Please show where I said I was “impressed” with her in a Purdue uniform? Please. That’s right…you can’t. All I said was that it was going to be interesting to see how she will perform given her age and experience. KG must have been pretty impressed with her as I’m sure if she wasn’t she would’ve been honest with her about her playing time and future with the program. It pays more than ever as a coach to be honest with players, especially with those who they didn’t recruit directly as she was 100% a SV recruit, because they can easily replace them with players from the portal that they do like. Considering she’s still with the program means KG must’ve been impressed and thinks she has a future with us. Stoddard and Potts obviously didn’t impress KG - and they high tailed it out of here. More power to them.

I will say I’ve seen several videos from when she was a high school player 2 years ago and her skills seem to very advanced then and she’s had 2 years further to enhance them and get a college-ready body. You were more impressed with Jones considering we have the same evidence with both players? Ok…makes sense.

The point of the post was wondering how she’d perform with her experience. Reading comprehension continues to be an issue for you, isn’t it Michael.
I don't think I am the one with reading comprehension issues there Pride. I just said I was not that impressed with Hoelzer's clips. I am not afraid to say I'm wrong if it comes to that, so we will see. You are the one that brought seeing her (them) in a Purdue uniform as a criteria, not me so don't try and shovel that pile of BS back onto my doorstep, own it as your own silliness.... ;)

ADVERTISEMENT