ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue @ Wisconsin: Predictions & Game Thread

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
Looking like Tre may get the start tonight BUT I worry about his effectiveness to guard Happ away from the hoop.

I think a great strategy would have been to use your three bigs (if EB was healthy to play) to foul any time Happ got the ball with two feet in the lane to put him on the foul line considering he is a 49.2% foul shooter this season.

If Tre can have a productive game scoring with his opportunities and rebounding well on defense while Carsen and Cline are able to play to their averages, Purdue always has a shot...but the team is very inconsistent away from Mackey.

Thank being said...
Boiler Up!
Badger Down!

Whisky: 71
Purdue: 65

This could get ugly. Not sure it truly matters in the big picture though. I wonder if any creative D will be seen. If Happ gets doubled by NE? what do we give to get?

I have NO CLUE on the score ... none.

This could get ugly. Not sure it truly matters in the big picture though. I wonder if any creative D will be seen. If Happ gets doubled by NE? what do we give to get?

I have NO CLUE on the score ... none.
Happ is like an octupus, he'll eat us up inside.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Another game where Grady will be a defensive liability. Do you put him in 6'10" Reuvers, or 6'8" Happ? Either way it won't be great. If Happ gets Williams in foul trouble early this one could get ugly sooner rather than later.

Wiscy 75
Purdue 60

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Looking like Tre may get the start tonight BUT I worry about his effectiveness to guard Happ away from the hoop.

I think a great strategy would have been to use your three bigs (if EB was healthy to play) to foul any time Happ got the ball with two feet in the lane to put him on the foul line considering he is a 49.2% foul shooter this season.

If Tre can have a productive game scoring with his opportunities and rebounding well on defense while Carsen and Cline are able to play to their averages, Purdue always has a shot...but the team is very inconsistent away from Mackey.

Thank being said...
Boiler Up!
Badger Down!

Happ doesn’t play away from the basket, he operates exclusively around the rim with an array of head pumps and reverses. If Purdue wants to make tourney this is agame they need to help their resume considering the road record is terrible.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Will Purdue win on the road? Don't know, but so far they haven't won in games against good top 40 competition on the road....so history says no.

Maybe they are due? This is not the same team that lost all those games early on the road. So much improvement from the younger players make them so much deeper.

They aren't going to the NCAA tourney without beating some of these decent top 40 teams on the road.

The key is can Purdue shutdown the scoring of #2 & #3 guys? So Happ scores, but can Eastern shut his guy down? Can Wheeler come in and use his length to help? Elimination of offense from Davison, Trice and Iverson is the key.

Last edited:
Will Purdue win on the road? They aren't going to the NCAA tourney without beating some of these decent top 30 teams on the road. Elimination of offense from Davison, Trice and Iverson is the key.
Agree. My crystal ball predicts me being upset by Davison having a good game in an irritating fashion. Hope we can overcome it!

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The key is can Purdue shutdown the scoring of #2 & #3 guys? So Happ scores, but can Eastern shut his guy down? Can Wheeler come in and use his length to help? Elimination of offense from Davison, Trice and Iverson is the key.

I agree with this being the key. Make Happ work as hard as possible to get his, but play him straight up & try to lock down the others.

Wisconsin is 11-4.
-They are 10-0 when Trice scores 12+ points. They are 1-4 when Trice scores 10 points or fewer.
-They are 5-1 when Davison scores in double digits.
-They are 3-3 when Happ scores 20+ points.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I agree with this being the key. Make Happ work as hard as possible to get his, but play him straight up & try to lock down the others.

Wisconsin is 11-4.
-They are 10-0 when Trice scores 12+ points. They are 1-4 when Trice scores 10 points or fewer.
-They are 5-1 when Davison scores in double digits.
-They are 3-3 when Happ scores 20+ points.
This is interesting. So, is it more important to shut-down trice and Davison and let Happ go crazy? OH the coaching decisions.

Thank being said...
Boiler Up!
Badger Down!

I'd make Happ beat us from the outside, if that's what he wants to do. Much rather him get the lower % shot and have Tre Williams in for his offense. Haven't seen Wisconsin play this year. But from what I remember, they clamp down hard on defense on the perimeter. So I think Carsen and Eastern may have to drive inside and either take an open layup or dump to Tre.

Is this game tonight? I'll be eating oysters and drinking beer at a buddies house. I watched the Wisky game at his place last year and we laid a giant turd.

Is this game tonight? I'll be eating oysters and drinking beer at a buddies house. I watched the Wisky game at his place last year and we laid a giant turd.
That was an unexpected flop last season. On another note, oysters and beer? You guys must be close. I kid. Is this thing on?

Reactions: PU pit bull
Happ doesn’t play away from the basket, he operates exclusively around the rim with an array of head pumps and reverses. If Purdue wants to make tourney this is agame they need to help their resume considering the road record is terrible.
Curious how much you have watched Wisconsin. From what I've seen Happ catches the ball away from the hoop quite often in their offense. He has really good ball skills for a big man and will use them to get to the basket with a variety of moves. IMO we'd be better off putting someone with good quickness and length on him (Wheeler?).

Watch this highlight video from his 34 point game against Marquette and count how many times he actually catches the ball near the basket.

I'd make Happ beat us from the outside, if that's what he wants to do. Much rather him get the lower % shot and have Tre Williams in for his offense. Haven't seen Wisconsin play this year. But from what I remember, they clamp down hard on defense on the perimeter. So I think Carsen and Eastern may have to drive inside and either take an open layup or dump to Tre.
Haap will not shoot the ball from beyond 5 feet. But he can get to the rim from 15 feet in 1 dribble. He will go right around Tre. I wouldn't be surprised to see Haarms start on Haap, with Eifert/Wheeler drawing the assignment when Haarms goes to the bench. UW has a couple stiffs you can have Tre guard.

Purdue 79 Wisconsin 76. Carsen Edwards scores 38. Wisconsin is a very bad rebounding team and not a good FT shooting team. Williams/Haarms score a dozen between them. Hunter scores 13 with increased minutes - remember if Eastern plays 25 minutes or more we just about always lose - so hopefully he is limited to 20 minutes or less.

I live in Madison and can tell you that Wisconsin is struggling lately too, think we have a good chance for a bounce-back game and win 65-58

Thank being said...
Boiler Up!
Badger Down!

He doesn't have to guard Happ away from the basket...at least early in the game, but he does have to contain his dribble once Haap gets teh ball unguarded on the perimeter and starts his drive. Belly up that 280 lb body and keep the arms off slowly taking up space until there is less space for Happ to work...easier said than done I know. Now Happ has to guard him on the blocks as well...feed the post early before he tires... ;)

Reactions: BoilerGal74
Have a company dinner tonight so I will need to record it. Maybe for the best in case I am the jinx. Boilers win in a tight one. It could be a foul fest. They may still be playing and shooting FTs when I get back.

Just listening to the Announcers talk about St. Langford during Maryland-IU game...

Haap will not shoot the ball from beyond 5 feet. But he can get to the rim from 15 feet in 1 dribble. He will go right around Tre. I wouldn't be surprised to see Haarms start on Haap, with Eifert/Wheeler drawing the assignment when Haarms goes to the bench. UW has a couple stiffs you can have Tre guard.

Umm, all Tre would have to do is play off of him a little.

Bad call on the goal tens and then the bogus foul on Carsen...same ref I believe.

When was the last time a Purdue player got calls like Melo or Happ? No preferential treatment for Purdue’s stars

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT