ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Win!

Wouldn't it be nice if GBI would actually cover the games?? Of course, there seems to be only two sports on these pages. Not even a top ten VB team gets mentioned.
They've provided us with a board to discuss them. Let's do that.

Unfortunately, it's exactly like I've been saying the past number of years when people would stop by just to grumble about Coach Versyp after losses. Many of those people, and I think it's pretty evident who they are/were, don't bother to watch the team play or follow them on a game-to-game basis. Their only function is to complain and even after they got their wish of a new coach, they're nowhere to be found here now.

Anyway, let's take this board and make something of it and provide proof of the interest in the program. If we get a large amount of participation here, I'd bet they might start covering it again. Until then, I'm just thankful we have this space we can use.

Would love to see Kathie reach out to Coach Brantley for some help developing Kyle. She has great potential and with some instruction could be outstanding for the next 3 years. Not even sure that would be permitted by NCAA rules but I don't see anyone on Kathie's staff with the experience working with taller centers like we had in the past.

Would love to see Kathie reach out to Coach Brantley for some help developing Kyle. She has great potential and with some instruction could be outstanding for the next 3 years. Not even sure that would be permitted by NCAA rules but I don't see anyone on Kathie's staff with the experience working with taller centers like we had in the past.
She's already pretty good. I think she can be even better if she can stay in the game.

I'm not sure if it's the same blueprint to develop a center in the women's game as it is the men's, but it couldn't hurt to ask his opinion as he's obviously had his fair share of success over the past decade or more.

One more thing regarding Kyle, I've actually been impressed by how well we feed the ball to the post this year. In prior years, seemed like there was about a 50-50 chance of any pass into the post getting stolen. I think it was a combination of our guards/wings not being good at feeding the post, us not running anything to set up a good passing lane/angle into the post, and our post players not sealing off their defender. I mean, we made this look very difficult in prior years. This year, dare I say they look pretty good at it.

I have followed WBB since the early 90's and went to San Jose and St Louis. (still refuse to believe we lost) and it's frustrating to have no good outlet for news about the team. I miss the days when we led the BT in attendance and routinely got ranked. But I appreciate the efforts put forth by this group and firmly feel that better days are ahead with the new coach.

I have followed WBB since the early 90's and went to San Jose and St Louis. (still refuse to believe we lost) and it's frustrating to have no good outlet for news about the team. I miss the days when we led the BT in attendance and routinely got ranked. But I appreciate the efforts put forth by this group and firmly feel that better days are ahead with the new coach.
I think we may still lead the BT in attendance.

Reactions: DocRon

See page 3.

I don't know what your definition of "close" is, but we were 11th in the country in 2019-2020. Iowa is the only Big Ten team ahead of us at #10.
My observation is based on attending every home game in Mackey since Kristy Curry took over from Carolyn Peck. For almost a decade, there has been a significant yearly increase of vacant seats in the lower bowl, yet the official box scores have not changed as drastically as fans in the seats. The couple that has attended WBB with my wife and I have noticed the same discrepancy. We joked about it as the Sean Spicer methodology for counting crowd sizes.

It seems that counting of fans for the official box score has changed since the 2019-2020 season. Attendance for the Indiana game, 02/03/2020, as reported in the box score was 8,161, and average game attendance as listed in the official NCAA link for 2019-2020 season was 6,316. Attendance for the Georgia Tech game, 12/01/2021, as reported in the box score was 1,539, and average game attendance from the box scores of the four official 2021 home games is 1,766.

I have not trusted the accuracy of the official box scores for a number of years as the number of fans in the building dwindled to match the deterioration of the results of the team. The numbers on the official box scores so far in 2021 seem to be a very close representation of the actual number of fans in the stands. The official box score reported attendance today as 3,236 compared to reported attendance of 6,753 on 02/29/2020 when Ohio State was the opponent.

Reactions: tenwest and Gesysp
My observation is based on attending every home game in Mackey since Kristy Curry took over from Carolyn Peck. For almost a decade, there has been a significant yearly increase of vacant seats in the lower bowl, yet the official box scores have not changed as drastically as fans in the seats. The couple that has attended WBB with my wife and I have noticed the same discrepancy. We joked about it as the Sean Spicer methodology for counting crowd sizes.

It seems that counting of fans for the official box score has changed since the 2019-2020 season. Attendance for the Indiana game, 02/03/2020, as reported in the box score was 8,161, and average game attendance as listed in the official NCAA link for 2019-2020 season was 6,316. Attendance for the Georgia Tech game, 12/01/2021, as reported in the box score was 1,539, and average game attendance from the box scores of the four official 2021 home games is 1,766.

I have not trusted the accuracy of the official box scores for a number of years as the number of fans in the building dwindled to match the deterioration of the results of the team. The numbers on the official box scores so far in 2021 seem to be a very close representation of the actual number of fans in the stands. The official box score reported attendance today as 3,236 compared to reported attendance of 6,753 on 02/29/2020 when Ohio State was the opponent.
Based on looking at the statistics document on the website for each game. Found this to explain the "decrease" in attendance. Purdue Stats on page 13.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Based on looking at the statistics document on the website for each game. Found this to explain the "decrease" in attendance. Purdue Stats on page 13.
~ Starting with the 2021-22 season, Purdue began announcing actual attendance rather than distributed tickets! As Artie Johnson used to say on Laugh-IN: Verrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy INteresting!

Boiler Ringside, I commend you on your analytical detective effort.

~ Starting with the 2021-22 season, Purdue began announcing actual attendance rather than distributed tickets! As Artie Johnson used to say on Laugh-IN: Verrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy INteresting!

Boiler Ringside, I commend you on your analytical detective effort.
Marshall game on 11/21/2021 is the first appearance of this note on the attendance statistics segment of the game notes PDF. Do not recall any posted announcement that this change was being made. Expect this reporting change will drop us out of the top 10 attendance for WBB.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
ADVERTISEMENT