ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue WBB vs MSU

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Up 3 at half despite a depressing 15 TOs. Purdue’s average is 14.5 I think.

Petree was scoreless in first Q but then got hot (when not turning the ball over - she has 5 TOs) and now has 10. Hardin and Layden have hit 1 3PT and Petree 2. No one else doing much except Ellis off the bench with 7.

DefensIvely Woltman, Hardin and Petree are doing well. Woltman has 6 REBs while Petree has 4. Smith and Harper are almost invisible. To be fair Jayla has only played 5 mins.

Last edited:
Just saw C. Vivian Stringer being honored at the halftime of Rutgers game yesterday and, not wishing her ill, but she looked pretty rough. She took a leave last season for medical reasons I believe, and then retired. She was a hell of a coach in her prime.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
After 3rdQ Purdue seems in control 55-41 despite 20 TOs. We are dominating the paint. Smith has contributed 6 pts in the 3rd. Need to hold on.

Reactions: tenwest
tough sequence there with the no call on Ellis bringing it up and then Terry committing what we soccer fans call a "professional foul"

As Tim says, the wheels are coming off. MSU seems to be getting all the loose balls and calls. And Yes, smalltownIL, Ellis got mugged.
MSU goign to line trailing by only 4.

12.9 secs left, Purdue has ball and only a two point lead. MSU will have to foul and we will go to FT line.

Despite 30 TOs, and due to a clutch 2PT basket + 1 by Terry (I corrected this from my previous error) and then consistency at the FT line, Purdue wins by five, 76-71. Also we outrebounded MSU (a good rebounding team) 50-30.

Last edited:
My goodness that was exhausting!! With 30 TO’s winning that game is amazing but going to give this old woman heart failure…Fourth quarter almost killed me not to mention OT!! But Ladies you pulled it out..Well done but…..

A nice road win, having said that, there’s going to be some ugly scores this season. As for the season, this helps in the quest for a tourney birth!

Reactions: DocRon
I just got to watch the game this morning. Some of the turnovers were a bit ridiculous. They've got to learn to value the ball. That being said....Michigan State was getting away with being extremely physical. They were pushing, holding and slapping the whole game. Still they have to learn to be strong with the ball when the game is being called like that.

I had my doubts heading to OT with Michigan State having all the momentum and the home court. But they gutted it out to what is a really nice win on the road.

If I was able to give out a game ball to a player in this one. I would give it to the much maligned Cassidy Hardin. She scored 11 and had 4 boards with only 1 turnover. She also drew a couple charges and her three's were key in Purdue building their lead.

Got a quick turnaround with a tough Maryland team coming to Mackey on Thursday night.

I really don't know how you can complain about a team being 8 and 1 after the first nine games. They are one FG from being undefeated.

I just got to watch the game this morning. Some of the turnovers were a bit ridiculous. They've got to learn to value the ball. That being said....Michigan State was getting away with being extremely physical. They were pushing, holding and slapping the whole game. Still they have to learn to be strong with the ball when the game is being called like that.

I had my doubts heading to OT with Michigan State having all the momentum and the home court. But they gutted it out to what is a really nice win on the road.

If I was able to give out a game ball to a player in this one. I would give it to the much
Good point on being 8-1 but that last quarter made my eyes hurt. Thought SV came back to coach. Couldn't understandy why Ellis wasn't in to handle the ball at the end of regulation.

Reactions: JeffBoiler

If I was able to give out a game ball to a player in this one. I would give it to the much maligned Cassidy Hardin. She scored 11 and had 4 boards with only 1 turnover. She also drew a couple charges and her three's were key in Purdue building their lead.

Got a quick turnaround with a tough Maryland team coming to Mackey on Thursday night.

I really don't know how you can complain about a team being 8 and 1 after the first nine games. They are one FG from being undefeated.
2 baskets, because the last 3 against FSU was an uncontested gimme with half a second left....

We are 8-1 because we scheduled 6 easy wins, beat a mediocre OkSU and got a REALLY good win at MSU against another middle of the pack BT team fighting to get on the right side of the NCAA bubble. There are still a lot of things this team is not doing well that will be exposed against better teams.

Would you rather we had lost all the games Michael? We all know this is not a great team but they are trying. Give them some credit. Better yet maybe that should make you the coach Michael since you have all the answers.

Would you rather we had lost all the games Michael? We all know this is not a great team but they are trying. Give them some credit. Better yet maybe that should make you the coach Michael since you have all the answers.
I never said they weren't playing hard, that is the best thing Gearlds brought back to Purdue. But our 8-1 record is not indicative of us being a team to contend for the top 5 in the Big Ten. With the schedule we had, we are right where we should be to maybe a little ahead, but there are a lot of issues yet for this team to address, especially to get to the NCAA's this year... but this win is a good step in that direction.

I never said they weren't playing hard, that is the best thing Gearlds brought back to Purdue. But our 8-1 record is not indicative of us being a team to contend for the top 5 in the Big Ten. With the schedule we had, we are right where we should be to maybe a little ahead, but there are a lot of issues yet for this team to address, especially to get to the NCAA's this year... but this win is a good step in that direction.
Pretty sure all know that Purdue will get drilled against top teams in this league, pretty much to be expected considering where this program was when Coach took over. This years goal should be a top 5-7 league record and tourney bid, who knows maybe they upset a top tier team or two along the way, that looks to be difficult though, not sure this team is there yet.

Pretty sure all know that Purdue will get drilled against top teams in this league, pretty much to be expected considering where this program was when Coach took over. This years goal should be a top 5-7 league record and tourney bid, who knows maybe they upset a top tier team or two along the way, that looks to be difficult though, not sure this team is there yet.
To get in the top 5 we will have to upset a couple of the ranked teams in conference, a very tall order for the talent we have IMHO, but not impossible.
Things that stick out as BIG positives from this game, we gave up 30 TOs, but only 18 pts off TOs. We forced 18 TOs and scored 21 off of them. The biggest reason we won and a massive improvement if we can hold onto it is we won the rebounding DECISIVELY 50-30.... That kept MSU from running out as much as they wanted and where we won the game, down on the blocks IMHO.

Funny mistake on the box score on the Purdue site: #14 Ava Learn played 13 minutes for Purdue scoring 2 points and #14 Ava Learn played 12 minutes for MSU scoring 2 points....... ROFL I do wonder who wears #14 for MSU now.... ;)

I certainly agree that we are not a top 5 team in the BIG. Can't believe that anyone would think that. Totally agree that we have to get much higher quality players if we are to get to the top. Only time will tell if Coach can pull that off.

Positives:
Rebounding - +20 on the boards is what ultimately won us the game. This was huge because MSU was bigger and more athletic in several areas.

Hardin - Her shooting really helped us get through a slow start offensively. She is what she is at this point - a solid, veteran piece that can help us win games if she gets hot from 3.

Defense - We really locked down defensively and that helped us overcome the massive amount of TOs

Overall grit and toughness: We had a bend but not break mentality. After MSU came back from 16 down to tie the game and send it into OT it would've been extremely easy for this team to give up and break in OT. Playing on the road for the first time in an hostel environment against a traditionally well-coached team, I was expecting to lose it in the OT. But to my surprised this team showed true grit and toughness in closing it out by making some really big plays. They never seemed to rattled and I credit that to the overall maturity this team has due to the plethora of veterans on the roster.

FT Performance
Huge night at the line really helped seal the deal.

Negatives

Turnovers (obviously) - The thing that frustrated me the most was the vast majority weren't really forced by MSU - they were travels, offensive fouls, plain stupid passes, fumbling the ball out of bounds. Sure there were quite a few that were forced - but that is MSU's bread and butter - that is what they are known for so that is to be expected. The unforced turnovers is what really upset me. But thankfully - this can be rectified and if not - we will lose many games because of them.

Playing time issues - Ellis and Smith should've played more IMO. They are two of our quickest/more athletic guards and provide the type of athleticism we need against teams like MSU who are extremely quick and athletic. Smith came in towards the end of the 2nd quarter and scored a quick 6 pts in like 9 minutes and she made it look easy. But she never really factored in during the 2nd half meltdown as KG opted to play Layden instead - who def has her strengths - but athleticism is not one of them. This was the type of game perfect for Smith - and she plays 11 minutes - scoring 6 pts in that time frame. Ellis was pulled after that turnover that was a clear foul due to be sandwhiched in between 2 Spartans. A mistake in my mind as she is our best ball handler and quickest overall player - something we desperately needed to survive MSU's fouling press. I believe both should have had more playing time in the second half and maybe we wouldn't of needed to squeak it out in OT.

I agree with you about Hardin. Like everyone else I get so frustrated when open 3PT after open 3PT is missed but then she will make 2 or 3 in a row. But her value is just as much her D - she is slow but she can guard posts and doesn’t back down from charges and being in their space. And that appears to be the reason she starts and plays so much,

The other player who I thought really played a hell of a game defensively was Woltman. 10 rebounds - 3 offensive - in 26 mins to lead the team while committing only 2 TOs and 3 PFs and even getting a steal. She is really coming into her own.

Positives:
Rebounding - +20 on the boards is what ultimately won us the game. This was huge because MSU was bigger and more athletic in several areas.

Hardin - Her shooting really helped us get through a slow start offensively. She is what she is at this point - a solid, veteran piece that can help us win games if she gets hot from 3.

Defense - We really locked down defensively and that helped us overcome the massive amount of TOs

Overall grit and toughness: We had a bend but not break mentality. After MSU came back from 16 down to tie the game and send it into OT it would've been extremely easy for this team to give up and break in OT. Playing on the road for the first time in an hostel environment against a traditionally well-coached team, I was expecting to lose it in the OT. But to my surprised this team showed true grit and toughness in closing it out by making some really big plays. They never seemed to rattled and I credit that to the overall maturity this team has due to the plethora of veterans on the roster.

FT Performance
Huge night at the line really helped seal the deal.

Negatives

Turnovers (obviously) - The thing that frustrated me the most was the vast majority weren't really forced by MSU - they were travels, offensive fouls, plain stupid passes, fumbling the ball out of bounds. Sure there were quite a few that were forced - but that is MSU's bread and butter - that is what they are known for so that is to be expected. The unforced turnovers is what really upset me. But thankfully - this can be rectified and if not - we will lose many games because of them.

Playing time issues - Ellis and Smith should've played more IMO. They are two of our quickest/more athletic guards and provide the type of athleticism we need against teams like MSU who are extremely quick and athletic. Smith came in towards the end of the 2nd quarter and scored a quick 6 pts in like 9 minutes and she made it look easy. But she never really factored in during the 2nd half meltdown as KG opted to play Layden instead - who def has her strengths - but athleticism is not one of them. This was the type of game perfect for Smith - and she plays 11 minutes - scoring 6 pts in that time frame. Ellis was pulled after that turnover that was a clear foul due to be sandwhiched in between 2 Spartans. A mistake in my mind as she is our best ball handler and quickest overall player - something we desperately needed to survive MSU's fouling press. I believe both should have had more playing time in the second half and maybe we wouldn't of needed to squeak it out in OT.
Only thing I'm going to add is if you want Hardin out there, Smith and Ellis are the ones losing minutes to her. I don't believe Hardin earned the minutes she gets and nearly all her scoring comes in the first quarter then she disappears. She can guard bugs, b but gives up height and we generally lose reminding because of it. IMO Hardin is a 10-15 minute a game gunner, not a 28-36 minute a night staple, especially if we want to make the NCAAs. Our best three players overall are Petree, Layden, and Ellis, and Terry is indispensable at point and for her rebounding. Beyond that, I agree with you that the playing time is not being shared out optimally for this team to be as good as they can be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT