ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue WBB vs Florida State

FSU tied it up at 19 due in part to some careless TO’s but Terry hit a jumper and Layden swished a 3PT (Purdues 5th of the Q) for end of 1st Q score of 24-19.

Game has turned into a brick layers convention... neither team can hit anything, 4 minutes left in 2nd qtr, FSU has 9 points in the quarter, Purdue has 4. Petree is 0-7 including 0-3 from 3pt range so far. Purdue is shooting 17% this quarter to FSU's 32%. Three and a half minutes without either team scoring.

Reactions: DocRon
40-34 at half, Purdue leads. Petree finally got a couple layups to go (2-9), and we got a 3 from Layden and hit 3 of 4 fts with Harper going 1-2 and Ellis going 2-2. Nice scoring burst in the last couple minutes by Purdue.

Purdue could not buy a bucket for much of the Q but ends up regaining the lead after FSU tied it up. Lead 40-36 at half. Madison hit another 3PT but Hardin going thru another one of her dry spells.

Purdue could not buy a bucket for much of the Q but ends up regaining the lead after FSU tied it up. Lead 40-36 at half. Madison hit another 3PT but Hardin going thru another one of her dry spells.
To be fair, Hardin was on the bench most of the 2nd quarter with 2 fouls, hard to hit shots from there...... ;)
In other games, Iowa St skull drug MSU yesterday, beating them by over 30, and Maryland got upset today 76-67, to DePaul

Hardin gets her 3rd foul in the first minute of second half, but draws the third foul on FSU's leading scorer before she got pulled to the bench.

Listening to the game, Petree sounds like she plays like KK Houser used to, gunning it up, drving to darkness and no thought to whether or not its a good shot in the flow of the offense. She is 4-13 from the field with 3TOs half way through the 3rd. Layden is once again leading the team in points and playing smart.

Unbeleiveable how many exaggerated flops and fall downs we are seeing on FSU’s behalf and the refs are falling for it.

But Purdue still leads 53-45 with less than 4:13 mins left

End of 3rd Q, Purdue still maintaining a lead 59-54 despite numerous challenges to that leas by FSU. Layden leading the way with 15 pts.

Purdue by only one at 59-58 with 8:17 left. I know I am biased but Purdue is getting mugged out there and refs seem oblivious to it. KG thinks so too and is using this time out to tell them.

FSU up 3 69-66, gotten two Off RBs and have held the ball at their end for nearly a minute.. Foul on Layden, 1-2 fts, but FSU got the off board AGAIN, but Terry tied them up to get the ball back, but arrow now favors FSU and a 4 point lead with 2 minutes left. Terry Off foul, FSU shooting FTS the rest of the game.

75-70 FSU lead with 37 seconds..... Not looking good, our ball but arrow still favors FSU in a tie up.

FSU makes 1/2 FTs after Ellis fouled. FSU 76 to Purdue 72 With 28 secs left. KG takes time out to advance ball.

76-72 FSU FSU ball, 20 seconds left. Petree just missed 2 fts and FSU got the rebound then took a timeout

Petree misses both FTs and FSU now has ball. Purdue still down by 4 with 20 secs left and looks like this game is over.

Final FSU 76-Purdue 75.... We won each of the first two quarters and got outscored in each of the last two quarters. We got a 3 with half a second left to close out the scoring.

I was not impressed with CKG's post game comments.... to me they showed she did not have a realistic view of her team after the easy games.... she said she was surprised we had a tougher shooting game against FSU than the tomato cans we had been knocking down, and that she was disappointed we gave up too many O boards off of our zone..... well DUH, we were playing short and are not a great rebounding team to start with...... Hopefully they shake this game off and get after OSU who only lost to FSU by 2, so we should be pretty evenly matched.

Petree and Layden led in scoring with 15, but Petree took 19 shots to get there, more than the next two boilers number of shots taken combined. Hardin got 11 quick points and then never shot in the second half and sat most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters in foul trouble. Harper was nearly invisible, 8 points on 3-7 shooting and like Petree went 2-4 from the line. Ellis got 14 on 4-6 shooting and 4-4 from the line. Smith after the one good game has been unimpressive, 1-2 for 3 points with the meaningless unguarded 3 to end the game and 2 fouls in 8 minutes of play.

Petree and Layden led in scoring with 15, but Petree took 19 shots to get there, more than the next two boilers number of shots taken combined. Hardin got 11 quick points and then never shot in the second half and sat most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters in foul trouble. Harper was nearly invisible, 8 points on 3-7 shooting and like Petree went 2-4 from the line. Ellis got 14 on 4-6 shooting and 4-4 from the line. Smith after the one good game has been unimpressive, 1-2 for 3 points with the meaningless unguarded 3 to end the game and 2 fouls in 8 minutes of play.
Agree that Smith (for several games) and Harper (today) did not play well. Hardin got in foul trouble guarding post players and that will be an issue all year. Petree is not as good as she has been even though she had open shots… she was just off. But if she does not score, who is going to? I think she has full license by KG to shoot when she feels she can make it.

I know many here are very high on Jayla but to me she has yet to prover herself. We will see.

Not like we expected to have a perfect record. I just hate losing to a team that has such a cocky attitude, was flopping egregiously and was giving stare-downs to our players over nothing. As I said above, typical FSU attitude.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Agree that Smith (for several games) and Harper (today) did not play well. Hardin got in foul trouble guarding post players and that will be an issue all year. Petree is not as good as she has been even though she had open shots… she was just off. But if she does not score, who is going to? I think she has full license by KG to shoot when she feels she can make it.

I know many here are very high on Jayla but to me she has yet to prover herself. We will see.

Not like we expected to have a perfect record. I just hate losing to a team that has such a cocky attitude, was flopping egregiously and was giving stare-downs to our players over nothing. As I said above, typical FSU attitude.

Dang.....wish I could have seen it. Hopefully they pick themselves up and finish the trip with a victory.
I am not going to make any proclamations off this, but several concerns I had from the easy games did come up:

- controlling the paint, FSU doubled us up on scoring in the paint and their center dominated Harper, especially in rebounding

- Hardin and Petree are streak shoorters and the coach needs to control them more, unfortunately CKG publicly says the only bad shot from either of them is the one they don't take.... I'm unconvinced

- Layden playing point takes our most consistent scoring threat out of her comfort zone and limits her scoring options while putting Terry into a position where she needs to score, and that is not her strength. Terry needs to be at the point spelled by Ellis, no one else need be used in that position IMHO

- Trying to play a zone against teams with athleticism or high quality coaches when we are slow footed and short
Our substitution patterns and who starts. We are starting a lineup of 6' to 6'1".... and when we sub in our first two subs are 5'6" and 5'8"..... if we are having problems defending a big team switching 1-4 or even 1-3 when we sub in it only exagerates that issue. Woltman and Learn not getting enough minutes to integrate with Harper and Petree so that we don't have players out on the floor unfamiliar with each other during a tight game.

- I STILL would go with a starting lineup of Woltman, Harper, Layden, Ellis, and Terry with Hardin and Petree off the bench and if they aren't hitting a decent percentage try the other or Learn, Smith, or Potts even. Learn backing up the posts and that lets Harper work on PFs, a position she is not so physically disadvantaged at.

- I doubt we see any changes before the next game. So we get another chance to see if NAIA small ball might work against P5 teams, but atm I am still highly skeptical and if this is going to be CKG's approach her whole career, I am not very optimistic of getting into the top third of the conference standings.

- And I could be worried for nothing and this was just an off game for the team..... that is why I said from the summer we won't really know what we have as a team until the start of January.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT