ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue WBB at Iowa

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Our team should leave for Iowa today. I still have not heard anything about Madison and whether she will be making the trip. In pics posted on Twitter of the team practicing etc., I have not seen Madison. Not a good sign.

Game tomorrow starts at 9PM EST but luckily it is on BTN so I can record it. (3 of Purdue's first 4 games are broadcast on BTN.) We have family this week so probably will not watch real time. Anxious for the rest of the season to begin but hoping we do not get pummeled to start off the second half.

Our team should leave for Iowa today. I still have not heard anything about Madison and whether she will be making the trip. In pics posted on Twitter of the team practicing etc., I have not seen Madison. Not a good sign.

Game tomorrow starts at 9PM EST but luckily it is on BTN so I can record it. (3 of Purdue's first 4 games are broadcast on BTN.) We have family this week so probably will not watch real time. Anxious for the rest of the season to begin but hoping we do not get pummeled to start off the second half.
Hope springs eternal, but we are not nearly good enough to play Iowa close unless they are missing players or just have a really terrible shooting night. Guessing we keep it kind of close, dozen points or less, till the 4th then the wheels fall off. I also expect another big turnover night for our girls as Iowa pressures the passing lanes.

Your perceptive outlook is always appreciated, even if your pessimism is a downer. Almost certainly if Madison is not playing it will be a long night.

Glad to have you here, Michael.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Your perceptive outlook is always appreciated, even if your pessimism is a downer. Almost certainly if Madison is not playing it will be a long night.

What's up with Madison? She's been out for a while, right?

I enjoy Michael’s stuff, 90% his stuff is on target, the 10% is well, Michael bring Michael lol. I for one will be happy if this team finishes 10-8 in the conference, no doubt it’s still a work in progress, need some top 25 recruits, recruits in the 75-100 range are good gets but likely not going to lead a team to a upper Big Ten finish.

Reactions: DocRon
You’ve heard glass half-full/half-empty. Both sides can be the “truth”. It’s just how you want to present it. You seem to love to dwell on the half-empty portion. But that it okay. :)
Ah, but the glass is refillable...... I guarantee you I enjoy the season probably as much or more than anyone else, because I am pleasantly surprised far more than I am bitterly disappointed, and I am very rarely off by more than a game either way in my season predictions for the past 20 years, and usually I guess too many wins.

Reactions: DocRon
Ah, but the glass is refillable...... I guarantee you I enjoy the season probably as much or more than anyone else, because I am pleasantly surprised far more than I am bitterly disappointed, and I am very rarely off by more than a game either way in my season predictions for the past 20 years, and usually I guess too many wins.
There was one fan of here last season that predicted Purdue to win 2-3 games, that was the worst prediction ever lol. Even when they’re terrible there’s usually 6-8 gimmies on every schedule for a school like Purdue.

There was one fan of here last season that predicted Purdue to win 2-3 games, that was the worst prediction ever lol. Even when they’re terrible there’s usually 6-8 gimmies on every schedule for a school like Purdue.
To be fair we were coming off a five win season, massive coaching turmoil, player defections, and needing transfers just to field a team. Add in a new coach with no experience above NAIA and a three win season was not out of the question. The transfers have saved the last two seasons, we started four of them last two games. And transfers even in the portal era are always going to be a crap shoot on if they are a fit and can help your program.

Reactions: HoopDad317
To be fair we were coming off a five win season, massive coaching turmoil, player defections, and needing transfers just to field a team. Add in a new coach with no experience above NAIA and a three win season was not out of the question. The transfers have saved the last two seasons, we started four of them last two games. And transfers even in the portal era are always going to be a crap shoot on if they are a fit and can help your program.
I’m confused…I understand (kind of) folks questioning whether an NAIA coach might need national recruiting help but I would argue X and O coaching is coaching. Why folks would question CKG’s coaching knowledge based on her only being COY of NAIA 3 years out of 8 is a bit curious to me. But once you have coaching contacts, be it In-state or out, one has those same relationships with same coaches whether recruiting 5* or last player off the bench, right? And let’s be honest the name of AA Katie Gearlds. is one most Indiana WBB Coaches still know and appreciate.

I’m confused…I understand (kind of) folks questioning whether an NAIA coach might need national recruiting help but I would argue X and O coaching is coaching. Why folks would question CKG’s coaching knowledge based on her only being COY of NAIA 3 years out of 8 is a bit curious to me. But once you have coaching contacts, be it In-state or out, one has those same relationships with same coaches whether recruiting 5* or last player off the bench, right? And let’s be honest the name of AA Katie Gearlds. is one most Indiana WBB Coaches still know and appreciate.
1) If we had hired a Junior High coach that had coached 4 undefeated teams in a row, would you still be saying "coaching is coaching?" That is just as ridiculous as saying if you can play the game at NAIA level well, you can play at the D1 Power5 level well..... Just as in the players case, there is a massive difference in the competition level of coaches at each level up the ladder. IF "coaching is coaching" were true, NFL teams would raid HS coaches and pay them 1/100th what they are paying them now. Quality coaches are in fact RARE, that is why they command such huge salaries, and that is why 90% of them flame out at new jobs; they have moved up at least one difficulty level. KG moved up FIVE difficulty levels all at once. She went from coaching against part time coaches to going against seasoned professionals who only coach women's basketball with years of experience at this level. Additionally, every coach but KG out there in WBB D1 came up through the ranks in D1 and has many contacts they can reach out to for assistant coaches, advise, and contacts for players. KG doesn't have that, as painfully shown by the three hires she has made since becoming Purdue's HC. An NAIA coach at an AAU event doesn't get noticed, they are less important to impress than the D1 and D2 coaches and the reps from the scouting services.

2) Recruiting contacts. At NAIA level, coaches have very limited ability to recruit. They cannot travel far, cannot offer scholarships or usually even any guaranteed aid. So a 2 hour drive from Indy was KG's reach and range two years ago, that won't field a Big Ten quality team. I believe her recruiting budget was $200, for gas for her to drive places at Marian.

3) Outside of Purdue fans, Katie Gearlds is barely known or remembered. She is far less relevant or remembered than Joseph, Douglas, White, or even Figgs. She was a good but not great college player who's teams perennially underachieved and accomplished nothing of note during her 4 years here. Additionally many of those that remember KG as a player remember her as the laziest defender for 3 years to ever wear a Purdue uniform, not something that brings you great credibility as a coach. Purdue has had 9 first team All Americans, Katie Gearlds is not one of them, she was third team and her jersey got hung up because of a powerful booster making it a contingent of a big donation and other political motivations, not that she earned it on the floor.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
1) If we had hired a Junior High coach that had coached 4 undefeated teams in a row, would you still be saying "coaching is coaching?" That is just as ridiculous as saying if you can play the game at NAIA level well, you can play at the D1 Power5 level well..... Just as in the players case, there is a massive difference in the competition level of coaches at each level up the ladder. IF "coaching is coaching" were true, NFL teams would raid HS coaches and pay them 1/100th what they are paying them now. Quality coaches are in fact RARE, that is why they command such huge salaries, and that is why 90% of them flame out at new jobs; they have moved up at least one difficulty level. KG moved up FIVE difficulty levels all at once. She went from coaching against part time coaches to going against seasoned professionals who only coach women's basketball with years of experience at this level. Additionally, every coach but KG out there in WBB D1 came up through the ranks in D1 and has many contacts they can reach out to for assistant coaches, advise, and contacts for players. KG doesn't have that, as painfully shown by the three hires she has made since becoming Purdue's HC. An NAIA coach at an AAU event doesn't get noticed, they are less important to impress than the D1 and D2 coaches and the reps from the scouting services.

2) Recruiting contacts. At NAIA level, coaches have very limited ability to recruit. They cannot travel far, cannot offer scholarships or usually even any guaranteed aid. So a 2 hour drive from Indy was KG's reach and range two years ago, that won't field a Big Ten quality team. I believe her recruiting budget was $200, for gas for her to drive places at Marian.

3) Outside of Purdue fans, Katie Gearlds is barely known or remembered. She is far less relevant or remembered than Joseph, Douglas, White, or even Figgs. She was a good but not great college player who's teams perennially underachieved and accomplished nothing of note during her 4 years here. Additionally many of those that remember KG as a player remember her as the laziest defender for 3 years to ever wear a Purdue uniform, not something that brings you great credibility as a coach. Purdue has had 9 first team All Americans, Katie Gearlds is not one of them, she was third team and her jersey got hung up because of a powerful booster making it a contingent of a big donation and other political motivations, not that she earned it on the floor.
So by that reasoning…. Coaching is not about intelliegience, its only coming up through ranks paying ones dues with longevity? Probably not a fan of our new football HC then? Or Matt Painter either as he only had one year experience? Of course…

Last edited:
Still 2-3 wins? It wasn’t you I don’t think was it? If it was it was a terrible prediction, I said it at the time, there was no way that team was winning 2-3 games.

So by that reasoning…. Coaching is not about intelliegience, its only coming up through ranks paying ones dues with longevity? Probably not a fan of our new football HC then? Or Matt Painter either as he only had one year experience? Of course…
You are so far off base on Painter it doesn't bear trying to educate you...... but you are missing at least a decade of D1 experience he had.

Our new Football coach has been in D1 coaching for 11-12 years including building a top 5 defense at UILL and worked his way up through the ranks. Again, you are comparing apples to peas..... not even in the same ballpark.

Intelligence certainly plays a part, but so does experience, exposure, and openness to new ideas. All of those are gained or fostered coming up through the D1 ranks, and KG has none of it. Being smart is one of the smallest attributes to success as a head coach IMO. Again, if were just about intelligence, NFL teams would hire smart HS coaches and save themselves millions of dollars a year and college coaches would be paid less than professors. There are many other things that go into it beyond that. Being exposed and learning multiple offensive schemes as you work your way up would have helped as we run a very vanilla offense, with little adjustments made for each opponent, almost all of KG's focus is defensive coaching, which will not succeed long term. We can only hope she learns that lesson sooner than later.

Last edited:
Still 2-3 wins? It wasn’t you I don’t think was it? If it was it was a terrible prediction, I said it at the time, there was no way that team was winning 2-3 games.
I think I predicted 10, still lower than we got, but I believed 3 was a possibility coming off a five win season with a totally green coach and needing transfers just to fill out the starting lineup.

The best answer to the phrase “a good, but not great player” is to examine her resume.

Katie was 4th highest scorer in school history. Big Ten Freshman of the Year. Three Sweet 16’s and an Elite Eight. Indiana Miss Basketball. McDonald’s All American and MVP of the McDonald’s All American game. Two Big Ten Tournament Titles. Purdue won more than 70% of its games during her career abd averaged 25 wins a season.

Truly a person would have to have a very jaded view of competitive sports to describe those achievements as being good, but not great!

Hope springs eternal, but we are not nearly good enough to play Iowa close unless they are missing players or just have a really terrible shooting night. Guessing we keep it kind of close, dozen points or less, till the 4th then the wheels fall off. I also expect another big turnover night for our girls as Iowa pressures the passing lanes.
Well I was wrong, we got skull drug the whole first half..... Hardin 0-5, Petree 2-9, Terry 1-5...... we are not going to win games with three starters putting up those kind of numbers. Layden did not start but her play is the one bright spot in a pathetic first half effort. 3-7 for 8 points including 2-4 from behind the line. Rest of the team is 1-11 from 3.

Smith has been unbelievably misused by this coaching staff. She does things athletically that no one on this team can do. She starts out the game super strong in the 1Q gets herself in a rhythm and then, inexplicably, gets buried on the bench as we get absolutely skull dragged in the 2Q and then in the 2nd half when the game is already over gets put back in and is once again instant offense and defense, doing things athletically no one on the team can dream of. We lost this game in the 2Q. We played them even the other 3. If I was smith I’d be getting incredibly frustrated right now seeing other players out there instead of her.

Just adding this to the thread after Purdue vs. Iowa became final.

This game was a whole lotta ugly and a good bit of sloppy, mixed with some rust and inexplicable ineptitude. Was not fun to watch. They looked at times like they forgot how to play. Man I hope this was a one-off!
Ellis and Smith were bright spots.
Wonder why Ava Learn’s minutes were so few?
Lots of work to do. Did I mention it was ugly?

Smith has been unbelievably misused by this coaching staff. She does things athletically that no one on this team can do. She starts out the game super strong in the 1Q gets herself in a rhythm and then, inexplicably, gets buried on the bench as we get absolutely skull dragged in the 2Q and then in the 2nd half when the game is already over gets put back in and is once again instant offense and defense, doing things athletically no one on the team can dream of. We lost this game in the 2Q. We played them even the other 3. If I was smith I’d be getting incredibly frustrated right now seeing other players out there instead of her.
Serious question, who do you think has been used optimally on this team by the coaches this year?

ADVERTISEMENT