ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs Oregon State

YouSayPotato

True Freshman
Jun 4, 2021
I watched the last Purdue-OSU game, in 1967. To this day it is the most disappointing Purdue football game I have ever seen. After beating a ranked Texas A&M, Number One Notre Dame, NW and totally walloping Ohio State in Columbus, Purdue was ranked Number One in both polls (There were only two polls back then).

Unranked Oregon State cane to Ross-Ade and they had a HUGE fullback nicknamed 'Earthquake Enyart'. We could not stop that guy and lost 22-14.

1967-Purdue (Big Ten)​
9/23​
vs.Texas A&M (7-4)W
24​
20​
@ Dallas, TX
9/30​
vs.Notre Dame (8-2)W
28​
21​
10/7​
vs.*Northwestern (3-7)W
25​
16​
10/14​
@*Ohio State (6-3)W
41​
6​
10/21​
vs.Oregon State (7-2-1)L
14​
22​

Just a little after my time at Purdue, when the football teams were very good and could beat anyone, but not quite good enough to claim and remain #1.

Not sure what to think of this game but I definitely err against assuming any Purdue advantage

I watched the last Purdue-OSU game, in 1967. To this day it is the most disappointing Purdue football game I have ever seen. After beating a ranked Texas A&M, Number One Notre Dame, NW and totally walloping Ohio State in Columbus, Purdue was ranked Number One in both polls (There were only two polls back then).

Unranked Oregon State cane to Ross-Ade and they had a HUGE fullback nicknamed 'Earthquake Enyart'. We could not stop that guy and lost 22-14.

1967-Purdue (Big Ten)​
9/23​
vs.Texas A&M (7-4)W
24​
20​
@ Dallas, TX
9/30​
vs.Notre Dame (8-2)W
28​
21​
10/7​
vs.*Northwestern (3-7)W
25​
16​
10/14​
@*Ohio State (6-3)W
41​
6​
10/21​
vs.Oregon State (7-2-1)L
14​
22​
I was at that Oregon State game and also at the drubbing Purdue handed to Woody Hayes' Ohio State team the previous week. Expectations were high that Purdue would win easily. However, the game was close and then...Dick Berg, the Purdue punter, on his own decided to run rather than punt from about mid field. Berg's run attempt was short and OSU took over on downs. Mollenkopf was livid with Berg on the sidelines. If I recall, Berg did not get called on to kick again in that game.

I was at that Oregon State game and also at the drubbing Purdue handed to Woody Hayes' Ohio State team the previous week. Expectations were high that Purdue would win easily. However, the game was close and then...Dick Berg, the Purdue punter, on his own decided to run rather than punt from about mid field. Berg's run attempt was short and OSU took over on downs. Mollenkopf was livid with Berg on the sidelines. If I recall, Berg did not get called on to kick again in that game.
You might also recall the 1966 "Game of the Century" between Notre Dame and Michigan State which ended in a 10-10 tie. Purdue beat both teams the following year.

You might also recall the 1966 "Game of the Century" between Notre Dame and Michigan State which ended in a 10-10 tie. Purdue beat both teams the following year.
Yep, Ara parseghian took some heat for taking the tying field goal instead of going for it on fourth down for the win.

And ND had the ball late and run out the clock.
There was enormous hype for that game. Much of it was due to Michigan State Coach Duffy Daugherty, a colorful and charismatic guy, said that MSU had more Catholic kids on their roster than ND had. The reporters checked it out and it was true.

yeah, that was called the game of the century, but to me the true game of the century was the Okla - Neb. game when Johnny Rogers was on Neb.'s team. The game went back and forth w/ the Huskers winning ( I believe ) 35 -31.

yeah, that was called the game of the century, but to me the true game of the century was the Okla - Neb. game when Johnny Rogers was on Neb.'s team. The game went back and forth w/ the Huskers winning ( I believe ) 35 -31.
I also enjoyed the 1969 Texas (no. 1) vs Arkansas (no. 2) game in 1969. Texas came back to win 15 to 14 in Fayetteville. Both of those were great games to watch.

I also enjoyed the 1969 Texas (no. 1) vs Arkansas (no. 2) game in 1969. Texas came back to win 15 to 14 in Fayetteville. Both of those were great games to watch.
I remember it well, Darrell Royal's wishbone offense vs Frank Broyles' less-than-seven-points-a-game defense. President Nixon attended the game and proclaimed Texas the national champion, infuriating unbeaten Penn State.

On a historical note, it was the last college football game between two all-white teams.

saw that game too. Texas QB was James Street ( Brees uncle), who passed away at 65 a couple of years ago.

saw that game too. Texas QB was James Street ( Brees uncle), who passed away at 65 a couple of years ago.
Street did play QB for the Longhorns in 1969,but he wasnt Brees uncle.That is Marty Akins,who still lives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT