ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. IU

I thought Fife’s hiring was to be the coach in waiting while Woody righted the ship in 3-5 seasons. Obviously that didn’t work out and curious to see how the season progresses for them. At the end of the day, Purdue v IU being a consistent top 25 or higher battle makes both programs better.
Fife was never hired to be coach in waiting and Fife lost the job on his own.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Well after reading that article I shared, he needs to fire all his agents and advisers.

Again, I hope IU makes it back because it only makes Purdue that much better.

In hind sight, that seems to be the case. However, when the 3-headed monster was first put together, Fife appeared to be the coach-in-waiting. I was certainly surprised when IU lost both Fife and Matta in practically one stroke. I think Fife was an important part of the successful MSU program and it is surprising that he couldn't contribute to IU's program.

Reactions: tjreese
In hind sight, that seems to be the case. However, when the 3-headed monster was first put together, Fife appeared to be the coach-in-waiting. I was certainly surprised when IU lost both Fife and Matta in practically one stroke. I think Fife was an important part of the successful MSU program and it is surprising that he couldn't contribute to IU's program.
It’s odd that someone as accomplished as Izzo could make use of Fife, and Woodson could not, especially with Fife being a fellow IU legend.

Reactions: tjreese and TX4GB
Purdue will be good regardless of IU's success...it's been proven. I prefer when IU appears to look good and they tank.
I agree with the first sentence. I disagree with the second one. I prefer when they are projected to be awful and they hold true to those expectations. The sooner iu stops getting unwarranted expectations the better from a recruiting standpoint.

I agree with the first sentence. I disagree with the second one. I prefer when they are projected to be awful and they hold true to those expectations. The sooner iu stops getting unwarranted expectations the better from a recruiting standpoint.
It's not an issue. We're not recruiting the same kids

Well when you're destroying recruitments and being an a$$, you're going to lose your job. And Matta was never in a coaching position. Just an advisor. We didn't "lose" either of them. Matta finally felt healthy enough to get back to the sidelines and I'd consider that a good thing for college basketball and Butler. Fife lost his job on his own.

Reactions: mathboy
If the game were tomorrow, how do you think it would play out?

Since the game is not for a bit of time, and each team will continue to grow and improve, how do you think the first match up will play out?

I am curious as to your thoughts on where you see both teams and the improvements leading up to the first match up will have on the game.
I think we have the edge both games with Edey. Neither team has been very hot from 3 pt. range. Purdue mainly the last 3 games. Race can rebound, but I am not afraid of him on any other stat, Miller Kopp is streaky and Trayce is Trayce . He usually gets his points. JHS is good and there is no denying that, but so are our guards. The guy I am glad they don't give a ton of minutes to in our favor is Geronimo. When he plays , he can go off in short spurts and then Woodson don't play him anymore. He had what Kopp had a few games with way less minutes. Iu is so stuck on Kopp starting and I am not going to complain with what I think helps other teams out. Galloway is also streaky. Tamar Bates has been playing pretty good here as of late. ANybody else i just don't think gets too many minutes to worry about them .

Well when you're destroying recruitments and being an a$$, you're going to lose your job. And Matta was never in a coaching position. Just an advisor. We didn't "lose" either of them. Matta finally felt healthy enough to get back to the sidelines and I'd consider that a good thing for college basketball and Butler. Fife lost his job on his own.
This isn’t the first time I heard about the recruiting issues and Fife. Are there details as to the ”what” or is it more rumors etc? Curious because I thought he was a vital piece of Izzy pulling some of the Indiana recruits to MSU.

This isn’t the first time I heard about the recruiting issues and Fife. Are there details as to the ”what” or is it more rumors etc? Curious because I thought he was a vital piece of Izzy pulling some of the Indiana recruits to MSU.
Per Rabjohns, Fife was trashing NIL—wouldn’t have been a thing when he was at MSU.

I get it that Fife is old school and doesn’t want to recruit by citing NIL as a primary reason to go to a school, but instead of saying NIL wasn’t his arena, he was actively trashing it.

Last edited:
Just watched a Boiler Classic game on Hulu from Gene Keady era with Cardinal, Austin, Cornell & Miller take out lowly iu in OT with a dagger from Austin to sweep iu that year and continue a 5 out of 6 wins over iu @ that time. Cornell was a frosh & key down the stretch. Cardinal had 22 or so. Fun game to rewatch. Keady was a sideline warrior & fun to watch.

Need a little time to see how we handle a few more big ten teams. Rutgers just seem to know what to do against us the last few years. SO thankful Harper is gone though. I will make that call after a few games in when we resume play.
Fair enough. Keep in mind, the NCAA tournament will be more like our non-conference games from an officiating standpoint.

Big Ten games can be really brutal slugfests. Big Ten officiating needs to change.

I will say if Purdue plays like they did out in Portland last month during the NCAA

tournament, they will have a very, very good shot at a National Championship.

In a day and age of NIL, the last thing you do is trash NIL and basically tell players they shouldn't worry about it and continue trashing NIL. WA you're not getting any recruits to come that way. Gotta embrace NIL.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Just watched a Boiler Classic game on Hulu from Gene Keady era with Cardinal, Austin, Cornell & Miller take out lowly iu in OT with a dagger from Austin to sweep iu that year and continue a 5 out of 6 wins over iu @ that time. Cornell was a frosh & key down the stretch. Cardinal had 22 or so. Fun game to rewatch. Keady was a sideline warrior & fun to watch.
I'm pretty sure Keady had a winning record over Knight didn't he? Knight just knew how to win when it mattered most.

In a day and age of NIL, the last thing you do is trash NIL and basically tell players they shouldn't worry about it and continue trashing NIL. WA you're not getting any recruits to come that way. Gotta embrace NIL.
Life was so much easier and more fair for guys like Fife during the bag of $$$ under the table days.

Reactions: TX4GB
I was at that game and the one the year before when Austin nailed a 3 to win in regulation.

I was at Purdue at that time. Loved those guys.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
If Woodson was rely supposed to be a 3-5 year fix I could see him saying F... it after this or next year. He likely doesn't need the money. I'm guessing at his age he's going to be less likely to put up with spoiled head case players, the recruiting battles, and the nutty IU fan base.
it probably is more about being the one that got IU back in the tourney than money

Yea that's not a normal thing for IU. Rob wasn't good for most of his career unfortunately. He had a promising start but the injuries(and Archie) really took a toll on him. IMO, Assembly Hall has to have some of the best shooting lines because opposing teams love shooting well there. And random dudes are always going off. It'll happen tonight probably against Kennesaw State.
It's a normal thing for every Purdue opponent. Some player with modest stats goes off script from the scouting report and has the game of a lifetime.

Reactions: Schnelk
It's a normal thing for every Purdue opponent. Some player with modest stats goes off script from the scouting report and has the game of a lifetime.
Isn’t that usually part of our defensive strategy, make the sub 20% 3pt shooter beat us? You shut down their main offensive pieces and make someone be the superstar. Feel like Painter has mentioned this before.

ADVERTISEMENT