ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. IU

Isn’t that usually part of our defensive strategy, make the sub 20% 3pt shooter beat us? You shut down their main offensive pieces and make someone be the superstar. Feel like Painter has mentioned this before.
I think you are right. I just wish that player didn't have the game of a lifetime and beat Purdue. Do it against someone else.

Isn’t that usually part of our defensive strategy, make the sub 20% 3pt shooter beat us? You shut down their main offensive pieces and make someone be the superstar. Feel like Painter has mentioned this before.
It's a good strategy in theory... Until that kid does go off and that just hypes up the entire team. Always feel like it's a kid for Northwestern or Penn State.

Reactions: mathboy
It's a good strategy in theory... Until that kid does go off and that just hypes up the entire team. Always feel like it's a kid for Northwestern or Penn State.
That is exactly how we can be beat. We go cold from 3 and they get hot. Our front line 2's get out scored by their hot shooting 3's. The stars must align just right, but unfortunately they often do so for us.

That is exactly how we can be beat. We go cold from 3 and they get hot. Our front line 2's get out scored by their hot shooting 3's. The stars must align just right, but unfortunately they often do so for us.
And we miss a bunch of foul shots.

I'm not impressed with IU this year but Purdue's recent lackluster 3-point efforts I don't see how they would win in assembly. Need to figure out the three ball and it should be a sweep.

Well after reading that article I shared, he needs to fire all his agents and advisers.

Again, I hope IU makes it back because it only makes Purdue that much better.

Disagree. IU OWNS the state when they are equal with us as a program. This is the ONLY time in my 63 years other than the very tail end of Gene's tenure, that we have an advantage with in-state recruiting.
They suck and they STILL get 4 and 5 star NATIONAL recruits that we never get a sniff from.
Let em rot.

Disagree. IU OWNS the state when they are equal with us as a program. This is the ONLY time in my 63 years other than the very tail end of Gene's tenure, that we have an advantage with in-state recruiting.
They suck and they STILL get 4 and 5 star NATIONAL recruits that we never get a sniff from.
Let em rot.
They got some of those guys with Adidas or NIL $. Painter doesn’t even try to recruit kids like Clangford.

Reactions: Schnelk
I think something else needs to be considered when looking at a prospective record for IU. It is that of royalties from hats, t-shirts, etc. I believe that royalties are about 6% of retail pricing on items.

Teams that are highly ranked and seen on prime-time tv a lot sell more branded merchandise. I have lived in the Chicago and NYC metro areas a well as Indiana. You will see lots of Duke and UNC gear in stores there not because there are many local alums but rather because people like to associate themselves with winning teams.

Stores want to sell what others want to buy. Purdue wants to sell more t-shirts, etc so it gets more royalty dollars. Remember, IU is more of a media favorite than Purdue is all else equal, a lot due to IU's greater presence in media because of the J-School. So for Purdue to get more media presence they have to be consistently better than IU in their revenue sports records. That then translates into more fans, t-shirts, etc. with the accompanying larger revenue.

Being a lot better than IU is a great advantage in recruiting as well as in economics. Purdue wants IU to have bad seasons. That's another excuse for the "IU Sucks!" chant.

So the original question was how do you see the Purdue vs. Iu game playing out.

At Purdue: I see Purdue winning by 11
At Iu: I see Purdue winning by 4

They got some of those guys with Adidas or NIL $. Painter doesn’t even try to recruit kids like Clangford.
by hook or by crook
I think something else needs to be considered when looking at a prospective record for IU. It is that of royalties from hats, t-shirts, etc. I believe that royalties are about 6% of retail pricing on items.

Teams that are highly ranked and seen on prime-time tv a lot sell more branded merchandise. I have lived in the Chicago and NYC metro areas a well as Indiana. You will see lots of Duke and UNC gear in stores there not because there are many local alums but rather because people like to associate themselves with winning teams.

Stores want to sell what others want to buy. Purdue wants to sell more t-shirts, etc so it gets more royalty dollars. Remember, IU is more of a media favorite than Purdue is all else equal, a lot due to IU's greater presence in media because of the J-School. So for Purdue to get more media presence they have to be consistently better than IU in their revenue sports records. That then translates into more fans, t-shirts, etc. with the accompanying larger revenue.

Being a lot better than IU is a great advantage in recruiting as well as in economics. Purdue wants IU to have bad seasons. That's another excuse for the "IU Sucks!" chant.
Sounds great but look around. We've been beating them like a drum and you still cant' buy Purdue gear in most stores in Fort Wayne. iu gear EVERYWHERE. ND. Cubs. etc , no purdue. Sams or Costco had iu, ND, Mich AND MSU,,, but no Boilers.......
Chaps my *ss as my Dad used to say.

Michigan had football selling gear for them. MSU & IU have history selling gear. But when records decline and history gets old, gear sales go away. How much U of Chicago or Minnesota gear do you see there?

ADVERTISEMENT