ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. IU

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
If the game were tomorrow, how do you think it would play out?

Since the game is not for a bit of time, and each team will continue to grow and improve, how do you think the first match up will play out?

I am curious as to your thoughts on where you see both teams and the improvements leading up to the first match up will have on the game.

Well Purdue would probably win by 30. Indiana only has one ball handler and he's not a true point guard either. They are also completely incapable of playing with any ounce of passion because they are too cool for that or something. 30 might be too close.

Reactions: bonefish1
If the game was at IU I think Purdue with Johnson out is a 2.5 favorite, at Purdue the Boilers are probably 7.5 chalk. As for what happens, not worried about it, one game at a time works best for me. Got a lousy team coming up followed by a capable Rutgers squad, that’s who the focus should be on.

Them losing Xavier Johnson is tough for them and will be curious how they adapt their style. Will be curious to see how they do against Iowa to kickoff the rest of the Big Ten season.

Wait for it… pretty soon the first “Little brother” or “obsessed” post by an IU troll will show up. It’s still early in the day and everyone is off work because of the storm. No doubt one of those yahoo’s will be checking all their rivals boards for an IU mention, this proving something or other.

What doesn’t seem to get through is that most posters here like to discuss basketball. Usually we talk Purdue, BIG, regional teams in pretty much that order. Since IU is rumored to have a basketball team, they get mentioned occasionally.
:cool:

Happy Hour Football GIF by Washed Media

Da Boilers

Well Purdue would probably win by 30. Indiana only has one ball handler and he's not a true point guard either. They are also completely incapable of playing with any ounce of passion because they are too cool for that or something. 30 might be too close.
the hyperbole is quite strong today??? Seriously, losing X changes IU and how different they might be defended. Rarely does losing a starter help. Nobody is going to that gym and beat IU by 30 ...hardly ever. IU has LOT of seniority on that team not to mention some talent and so I would expect a battle as usual anywhere and especially in that gym

Some IU player will go off at Assembly Hall to keep it close (see Rob last year).

If the game were tomorrow, how do you think it would play out?

Since the game is not for a bit of time, and each team will continue to grow and improve, how do you think the first match up will play out?

I am curious as to your thoughts on where you see both teams and the improvements leading up to the first match up will have on the game.

I predict if TJD is healthy, he'll have a dunk, then scream, flex, stare at the camera, then proceed to lose by 20.

the hyperbole is quite strong today??? Seriously, losing X changes IU and how different they might be defended. Rarely does losing a starter help. Nobody is going to that gym and beat IU by 30 ...hardly ever. IU has LOT of seniority on that team not to mention some talent and so I would expect a battle as usual anywhere and especially in that gym
At least he said “would” and not “should”. He likes to set IU slanted false expectations onto Purdue, so that when Purdue doesn’t reach them, he can enjoy the next day at the “courts”.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
At least he said “would” and not “should”. He likes to set IU slanted false expectations onto Purdue, so that when Purdue doesn’t reach them, he can enjoy the next day at the “courts”.
nobody is going to give IU 30 against anyone...ever...unless the game is not played in Bloomington and then it would be rare if ever. ;) Many IU fans consider the 75/76 the best or second to the 74/75 team the best ever. In 75/76 IU beat Purdue an average of 3.5 points. What many consider the best team averaged 3.5pts or slightly over a basket and one, and so yes more often than not the games are close. Then there are some IU fans that suggest that team that was a couple of possessions better than Purdue is one of the best teams every in college basketball. One of the "best ever" 3.5pts better on average to a Purdue team rarely referenced...should make someone logically question if they bought the hype of a tourney perhaps a bit too much?

They lost a starter, but still gained the referees.

Some IU player will go off at Assembly Hall to keep it close (see Rob last year).
Yea that's not a normal thing for IU. Rob wasn't good for most of his career unfortunately. He had a promising start but the injuries(and Archie) really took a toll on him. IMO, Assembly Hall has to have some of the best shooting lines because opposing teams love shooting well there. And random dudes are always going off. It'll happen tonight probably against Kennesaw State.

Maybe, but this team has the same problem it's had for years now. Now passion, no awareness, no toughness. We had it in 15-16, had it in 12-13. Somewhat in 11-12. I don't see IU competing this year. They just don't have it mentally. And losing our starting point guard definitely hurts. But they better(mostly Woodson) figure out how to adjust without him.

Maybe, but this team has the same problem it's had for years now. Now passion, no awareness, no toughness. We had it in 15-16, had it in 12-13. Somewhat in 11-12. I don't see IU competing this year. They just don't have it mentally. And losing our starting point guard definitely hurts. But they better(mostly Woodson) figure out how to adjust without him.
FWIW, I thought last year was the first time in a while that IU showed some fight for 40 minutes and by the same token a Purdue team that was softer than many before. I also think awareness or playing smart as a team has not been a strength for IU for some time. As far as competing, IU will still be a tough out at home and will still struggle on the road. I haven't really looked at the schedule of other teams, but depending on who you play once away and home could be important. Rob and Braden were on each other in Purdue's scrimmage this year and I know how that went, even if one game, it showed that Braden not only belonged, but would excel in college.

Reactions: Schnelk
Rumors of some problems in the IU locker room and that Woody is losing control a little bit. Any truth to that?

Rumors of some problems in the IU locker room and that Woody is losing control a little bit. Any truth to that?
I have heard very little about locker room problems, except for a hint here and there. There might be more going on here than people are letting on. Winning fixes things like that, losing makes them worse.

Either the team will gather itself and pull together like the baby boilers did after a couple surprising losses, or they will pull apart. We might see another 9th place BIG finish if IU doesn't get their business together. Other BIG teams will smell the blood in the water. One might suspect something like this is happening in Ann Arbor also.

The year of Biggie v Bryant with that nonsensical double foul at the end of the game was one of the better recent ones I can remember. Not sure what year but it was in Bloomington. Perhaps the same one where Carsen had the “I’m not playing” dunk?

Reactions: Bill4411
In your basketball circles how was losing Fife and Thad viewed?
No one had a problem with losing Fife. Hard to say what recruits he lost us and his insistence on trashing NIL hurt recruiting. As for That, he was more of just an advisor. He wasn't in any sort of coaching role and everyone seemed happy he was able to get back on the sidelines at Butler.

The year of Biggie v Bryant with that nonsensical double foul at the end of the game was one of the better recent ones I can remember. Not sure what year but it was in Bloomington. Perhaps the same one where Carsen had the “I’m not playing” dunk?
2016. Yogis senior year. Troy Williams jammed it on Lurch.

I remember the announcers getting the explanation from the refs and explaining how it didn’t make sense because it is an either or and not both situation. The fact the Big Ten didn’t fine that crew for such a horrendous call that night is amazing.

Welp - not surprised that Lamont Simpson was part of that crew and was the official on the baseline underneath. Another classic Big Ten officiating fiasco.

No one had a problem with losing Fife. Hard to say what recruits he lost us and his insistence on trashing NIL hurt recruiting. As for That, he was more of just an advisor. He wasn't in any sort of coaching role and everyone seemed happy he was able to get back on the sidelines at Butler.
I know the Butler fans were happy to have him back, but didn't know if they viewed his advising of much worth or not. Just trying to understand if either had an effect on IU last year versus this year

I know the Butler fans were happy to have him back, but didn't know if they viewed his advising of much worth or not. Just trying to understand if either had an effect on IU last year versus this year
I'm not sure it really had any impact but seemed like more of a behind the scenes type deal. Nothing you were going to see immediately on the floor. Think it had more to do with Woodson transitioning to the college game.

I'm not sure it really had any impact but seemed like more of a behind the scenes type deal. Nothing you were going to see immediately on the floor. Think it had more to do with Woodson transitioning to the college game.
Rhetorical question, but based upon what you wrote...has Woodson "transitioned"? If they never served a purpose, then not sure why they were hired. If they served a purpose, was the service completed and how would we know? I certainly don't know the answer, but it appears to me that maybe IU could be better than what they are or even were before the injuries.

Rhetorical question, but based upon what you wrote...has Woodson "transitioned"? If they never served a purpose, then not sure why they were hired. If they served a purpose, was the service completed and how would we know? I certainly don't know the answer, but it appears to me that maybe IU could be better than what they are or even were before the injuries.
I thought Fife’s hiring was to be the coach in waiting while Woody righted the ship in 3-5 seasons. Obviously that didn’t work out and curious to see how the season progresses for them. At the end of the day, Purdue v IU being a consistent top 25 or higher battle makes both programs better.

Reactions: tjreese and mathboy
If Woodson was rely supposed to be a 3-5 year fix I could see him saying F... it after this or next year. He likely doesn't need the money. I'm guessing at his age he's going to be less likely to put up with spoiled head case players, the recruiting battles, and the nutty IU fan base.

If Woodson was rely supposed to be a 3-5 year fix I could see him saying F... it after this or next year. He likely doesn't need the money. I'm guessing at his age he's going to be less likely to put up with spoiled head case players, the recruiting battles, and the nutty IU fan base.
I think you are hitting pretty close to home with your comments. First, I posted at the start of the year that IU was well overrated. Getting all that ‘experience’ back from a ninth place BIG team that got bounced out early from the tourney could not, in any possible world, create a BIG winning team. They are simply not talented enough and not well coached it seems. I think i was on target back then which is a new first, VBG. I posted something similar on the IU board and was roasted.

Following up on your comment, at Woodson’s age, he could only have been a stop gap coach. I think many of us expected Fife to do the hard work and position himself as the heir apparent. Fife came out of the consistently winning MSU program, and was one of their better recruiters. So, what happened to that plan? I can only speculate, but it seems Woody didn’t share very well, or Fife bagged it. I don’t know, but Matta couldn’t sort it out either. I think there is a lot of smoke in the IUathletic department, and nobody is playing fireman.

Last edited:
I think you are hitting pretty close to home with your comments. First, I posted at the start of the year that IU was well overrated. Getting all that ‘experience’ back from a ninth place BIG team that got bounced out early from the tourney could not, in any possible world, create a BIG winning team. They are simply not talented enough and not well coached it seems. I think i was on target back then which is a new first, VBG. I posted something similar on the IU board and was roasted.

Following up on your comment, at Woodson’s age, he could only have been a stop gap coach. I think many of us expected Fife to do the hard work and position himself as the heir apparent. Fife came out of the consistently winning MSU program, and was one of their better recruiters. So, what happened to that plan? I can only speculate, but it seems Woody didn’t share very well, or Fife bagged it. I don’t know, but Matta couldn’t sort it out either. I think there is a lot of smoke in the IUathletic department, and nobody is playing fireman.
It’s pretty simple: their bozo AD had a dumb 3 headed coach idea, Woodson went along with it just enough to get the job, then ran the other 2 off ASAP.

Reactions: mathboy
It was reported that Woody wanted a 5 year deal to rebuild and than retire because the program was righted.

What’s interesting is Dane has only said they have him the option to resign but he said he would never quit on his family or IU, so they fired him. Didn’t realize he spent the summer working for Indy Heat AAU program. Had offers to go to mid majors but turned them down because he was dead set of being apart of IU.

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT